Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

IUG posted:

I only have one complaint about the film that comes to mind, about Ant-Man. Why does he pick Cap's side? The entire solo Ant-Man movie he makes it clear that he's doing things to keep his daughter in his life. He's trying to give up crime, and be more responsible. Why would he then sign up with someone who's very publicly going against the UN? He didn't seem to have any problems with it, and seemed eager to fight for him, so it wasn't the blackmail from breaking into Stark's armory from Ant-Man. At the end he's back in jail and away from his daughter. His best case scenario there is that he is living his life on the run, after very publicly fighting the Avengers. Either way, he's never going to see his daughter again if he fights for Cap.

Hell, he should have fought for Iron Man. That way he could get a stable job working for the UN as a hero, and everything he does is legal. It would be a steady, legal job, that would let him keep his family in his life.

Remember that the team Cap put together wasn't for fighting Tony or the Accords supporters, it was to track down and stop a threat Cap considered so serious that taking the time to try and convince Tony and the UN (who likely wouldn't believe him anyway, because of his actions with Bucky) to deal with it wasn't acceptable. The airport incident and it's aftermath weren't intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart phenomenally if Bucky took a bullet to the brain at any point before he was able to interrogate him, wouldn't it

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart phenomenally if Bucky took a bullet to the brain at any point before he was able to interrogate him, wouldn't it

If Bucky died Cap probably would have responded extremely badly, especially if Tony was in any way responsible. So same outcome basically.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart a million times over if at any point in the movie there had been a single compromise. It's not like The Dark Knight where there is way too much master plotting and timing for the Joker to be doing that borders on the believable - Most of Zemo's work really is done by Tony and Steve being assholes to each other.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There might be that, but I think Zemo was reasonably confident that even the best non-Avengers, non-superhuman squads wouldn't be able to kill Bucky. Remember his "more powerful men than me have tried to kill the Avengers" spiel, and I think he would think of Bucky as the same fundamental class of being as Cap and the rest. And he knew Cap would be there to protect Bucky, anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

There might be that, but I think Zemo was reasonably confident that even the best non-Avengers, non-superhuman squads wouldn't be able to kill Bucky. Remember his "more powerful men than me have tried to kill the Avengers" spiel, and I think he would think of Bucky as the same fundamental class of being as Cap and the rest. And he knew Cap would be there to protect Bucky, anyway.

Yeah. Basically, I think Zemo had the utmost confidence all the Avengers would succeed in whatever they were trying to do. He's absolutely sure they can defeat any enemy and overcome any obstacle, which is why he set up this plan in the first place. Since he could only imagine the Avenger's killing each other. So I see it as no surprise at all that he believed Cap would definitely save Bucky and that Bucky would definitely be able to avoid dying.

He did get pretty lucky with his whole plan though. Because Cap and Tony were already on the outs with each other and many circumstances in the film that Zemo did not set up pushed them further against each other. So by the time they all met up in Russia, a lot of groundwork had already been laid for the fight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Zemo realized he's a character in a Captain America movie, so his whole plan hinges on Captain America triumphing and he and Tony setting aside their differences to fight the real villai- no, gently caress you, Bucky killed your mom, I win.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really, really liked that by the end of Zemo's plan he just doesn't really have anything. He got his objective, Revenge, and a handgun so he can at least not die of frostbite. I really want to assume that getting to the bunker drained the very last penny he had and he has no resources by the end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you remember the beginning of the film? This was all Plan B for him. Plan A involved the far less violent "Torture a Hydra Agent to get this information quickly and efficiently.". What a far different movie we would have had if that happened. And if Bucky failed, he might have had a Plan C or D. He was an insanely driven man with nothing to do but focus on destroying the Avengers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
About half the audiance laughed at Jim Rash being MIT's Dean. It's Massachusetts Institute of TechnoloDean! Kinda makes my hope for Alison Brie being Spider-Woman a little bit more realistic if they want to tap more Community alum for the Russos films.

And the whole film works because Tony and Steve both have well defined personalities, and both of them clash. Before they've been able to work it out, but the accords and then Zemo's plotting was able to causer a rift between the two of them that was basically unbreachable. I loved that Widow was the level headed one. She stayed on Tony's side becuase she thought that was the right thing to do, but when she saw how determined Steve was to not just protect his friend but also had figured out the plot, she switches.

God drat Black Panther and Spider-Man were done well. His reaction to Tony in his living room was pretty fantastic, and his attempts to deflect Tony's questions about Spider-Man were great. T'challa gave us the honour and skill that the character possesses, and i loved just how drat agile he was in every single fight. Even if he got knocked around, he still maintained his balance and came back. I liked how they had T'Chaka too, though I had already guessed that his motivations was to avenge his father.

Loved Bucky and Falcon together. There was never any "but I thought I was your best friend" stuff in it, and their interactions were pretty fantastic. Loved after Steve and Sharon finally kiss they're just smiling ear to ear thinking "Finally you big doof!".

I liked Steve and Wanda's relationship, when he came to her after the first mission in the film to comfort her it wasn't so much as a leader, or even as a mentor, but almost fatherly, or big brotherish. Comics wise the two always had a unspoken attraction to each other, but i doubt that was in play here. I just loved the amount of Scarlet Witch and her usage in the film. She being the thing that makes Steve go "no, gently caress that' was great, because as someone else said, if Bucky had been arrested and just put in prison, Steve probably could have been able to get something for him, but keeping a kid who's already feeling massive guilt for things under house arrest for no real reason other than for image was too much. Though when you think of it, the accidental death of 14 people is pretty low on the "things Wanda Maximoff has done by accident that were terrible" list.

I liked how Tony says "I wish we had a Hulk right now" and Rhodey says "You think he'd be on our side?".

As for the future I'm curious if the Wakandans will make Steve a new shield, or maybe they'll create the Hard Light one he had for a while. Tony giving Steve back his shield when the Kree attack in the next Avengers movie or whatever will be the moment the two have made up. I'd not be surprised if in the next one, Tony will have recruited a bunch of new heroes, based on the whole 60 marvel characters in the next Avengers film, but will have to call on Steve's team when poo poo gets really bad. I'd guess that this is where Captain Marvel and any other major characters for the next phase will be introduced. I hope Black Panther will have T'challa and Bucky teaming up, that would be kinda awesome.

Lastly I'm glad no one died. It's actually become cliche to have someone die in these big event movies.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

twistedmentat posted:

Lastly I'm glad no one died. It's actually become cliche to have someone die in these big event movies.

Well Peggy died.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
what would happen if vision had hit Falcon? I assume he would have gone down like Rhodes, but would anyone have gone after him? Seems weird to me, like I felt they would have just let him fall and kept tracking the quintet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

what would happen if vision had hit Falcon? I assume he would have gone down like Rhodes, but would anyone have gone after him? Seems weird to me, like I felt they would have just let him fall and kept tracking the quintet.

He probably would've gone down but been able to ease his landing somewhat by using his wings or maybe they expected some safety measure, either way it wouldn't have been nearly as harsh as Rhodes having to deal with falling straight down with an actual ton of metal on him. I don't remember well but both Tony and Rhodes were in the air on that bit, right? worst case scenario Rhodes picks up Sam in the air, puts him down and joins Tony who keeps tracking the Quinjet, maybe Vision joins up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

It would've killed his jets, but his wings allow him to glide. War Machine doesn't have those.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kingtheninja posted:

If that beam hit Falcon in the body, wouldn't it just kill him? He's not wearing armor like War Machine. I thought that was, in part, what Tony was talking about when he asked Vision what the hell happened there. Vision was distracted by Wanda being hurt and sort of lashed out in response to Rhodes' call for help without thinking. I'd have to re-watch the scene but I specifically recall Vision whipping his head around and just firing the beam almost nonchalantly, with no thought to it. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

If that beam hit Falcon in the body, wouldn't it just kill him? He's not wearing armor like War Machine. I thought that was, in part, what Tony was talking about when he asked Vision what the hell happened there. Vision was distracted by Wanda being hurt and sort of lashed out in response to Rhodes' call for help without thinking. I'd have to re-watch the scene but I specifically recall Vision whipping his head around and just firing the beam almost nonchalantly, with no thought to it. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

Rhodey explicitly says to take out Sam's engines to "turn him into a glider"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Gaz-L posted:

Rhodey explicitly says to take out Sam's engines to "turn him into a glider"

Definitely forgot or missed that line, I only generally remembered Rhodes calling for Vision's help. Obviously that changes it, and the "distraction" conversation was just about Vision missing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how Tony says "I wish we had a Hulk right now" and Rhodey says "You think he'd be on our side?".
Actually Widow's the one who says the latter line. And it's a little dubious. The Hulk might not be that easy to control. But Banner would 900%, absolutely, no questions be on the side of the Accords.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Actually Widow's the one who says the latter line. And it's a little dubious. The Hulk might not be that easy to control. But Banner would 900%, absolutely, no questions be on the side of the Accords.

I don't think so. I think Banner would absolutely retire rather than let the someone else control the Hulk. He'd just completely disappear.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Banner would not agree with being told where to go and when, and he especially wouldn't work with Thunderbolt Ross. He would opt to retire, but they'd probably want to lock him up because he's the loving Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Banner would not agree with being told where to go and when, and he especially wouldn't work with Thunderbolt Ross. He would opt to retire, but they'd probably want to lock him up because he's the loving Hulk.

Which wouldn't work. Because he's the fuckin' Hulk.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's true. v:v:v

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps they could try shooting him into space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're kind of doing that since he's going to be hanging out off Earth with Thor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BrianWilly posted:

I read that line as more "You know he's still pissed at me, right?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

They're kind of doing that since he's going to be hanging out off Earth with Thor.

Yeah, but it's less 'gently caress off shitlord' and more "HAIL FRIEND HULK LET US DRINK ALE AND WOO WENCHES!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Civil War is up to $185 million opening weekend so far. Looks on track to break $200 mil before Monday. Looks on track to be doing Age of Ultron money, which would make it #2 highest grossing Marvel movie (behind the original Avengers.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$185m is the entire weekend estimate, not just through Saturday.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At this point it might just edge out Iron Man 3 for third best opening. Probably 175-180M. I knew the 200M talk was absolute nonsense.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I never buy the estimates. I also don't get them, it's two whole days to wait why do sites even bother? I doubt the studios use them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The studios are the ones releasing the info.

They're right like 95% of the time, and the only thing that really throws them off is bad word of mouth.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Y'know...why wasn't Civil War about this? Since I feel like that's in the books down the line and there's no secret identities anyway. Team Iron Man is all "What if we made him gently caress off to space?" Team Cap is all "No way, Hulk is our bro!" He fits the collateral damage bill pretty hard.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kingtheninja posted:

As people have said before, Falcon could probably glide on his wings, and in WS he deploys a parachute when he loses his wings

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SirDan3k posted:

I never buy the estimates. I also don't get them, it's two whole days to wait why do sites even bother? I doubt the studios use them.

Tracking estimates are the estimates that have been wildly off as of late. Weekend estimates during the weekend are usually pretty close to the mark.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Saw the movie and these are my thoughts

loved Spidey and Black Panther though I thought Spidey's whole role in the movie was superfluous just to show off Spidey for a future movie. Seriously I had no idea why he was fighting beside because Stark asked him too. You would think he would have qualms about fighting against America's hero and a bunch of other people but it seemed that he didn't mind too much.
I also liked that the Act was even more ambiguous than the comic book version.
Tony and Steve's internal conflict with each other was very well handled and I wished that Batman and Superman could have treated the relationship the same. The action was tight, and even though I thought the airport scene was well handled I also laughed at the fact that it was abandoned because you would think that the German government would send an army or something to make sure that the heroes wouldn't destroy too much property.
All in all a pretty fun movie though I don't really like the whole "set up for some other franchise movie" thing that Marvel does

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
On the airport Tony had the authority to clear the airport and keep the army out of it thanks to the Act and the UN probably foot's the collateral bill.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Anyone know how Spiderman or Daredevil or JJ would have operated under the Act?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The act is specifically for the Avengers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

Anyone know how Spiderman or Daredevil or JJ would have operated under the Act?

Seems like it isn't interested in them because they're under the radar, so to speak. And not causing international incidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Watch Spider-man: Homecoming to find out, true believer!

• Locked thread