Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Oh right, why am I replying to McCloud?

It's easiest to just ignore him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's easiest to just ignore him.

You're right, what am I doing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

This is outright infuriating because it's a blatant refusal to even try to apply your premises equally. Black Panther is one of the most semiotically dense and interesting blockbusters of the year and you're saying poo poo like this? Go away.

e: Not to mention you also implicitly poo poo on comics as a medium for storytelling here too. Why even post here?

Bp is a decent movie that was hamstrung by disneys phobia of controversy, which is how it ended up with a cia agent as a heroic figure.

And i don't think it's a stretch to say that most comic books can be considered easily digestible, and I say thst as a comic book reader. Yeah you get your hickmans and morrisons and your Moore's but the vast majority of the stuff is some light fun diversion

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah except female bodies in sexualized agony/torture/disempowerment is still a trope that this movie just... does without real counter commentary

The counter commentary is right there, it's saying that hiding the objectification of your female protagonist behind the guise of female empowerment is still objectification and creepy. Doesn't matter how many demons she
or zombie nazis she kills if you keep dressing her in a school girls uniform

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay see you guys in two pages

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm a moron for even talking to you McCloud, but you didn't actually engage with my point at all. You just went "this movie doesn't count for some reason (actually, I know the reason, it's because CineD has themselves worked up into a lather about how the entire movie is a "CIA psyop")." You're transparently exposing that your only perception of quality, seriousness, or depth is based entirely on tone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

muscles like this! posted:

WB has announced a stand alone Blue Beetle movie (Jaime Reyes version.)
https://www.thewrap.com/jaime-reyes-blue-beetle-latino-superhero/
I refuse to let this loving awesome news be buried under McCloud's latest and hopefully last attempt to cheerlead for Snyder here

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

Both Snyder and Whedon are constantly guilty of over-sexualizing women in their work, trying to guess which sexist directed the sexist shots in JL is a fool's

The second I read this sentence I knew it would summon McCloud. I hope you're happy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

I'm a moron for even talking to you McCloud, but you didn't actually engage with my point at all. You just went "this movie doesn't count for some reason (actually, I know the reason, it's because CineD has themselves worked up into a lather about how the entire movie is a "CIA psyop")." You're transparently exposing that your only perception of quality, seriousness, or depth is based entirely on tone.

I did engage, but phoneposting so I was a bit sloppy, so let me try again: BP is an exception to what I wrote about the MCU, but to me its a frustrating movie because it could have been better if it wasn't scared of a bit of controversy. My post was a tacit approval of your point, with some qualifications, your pointless projection about cined aside.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Let's all take the Ignore McCloud Challenge!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I refuse to let this loving awesome news be buried under McCloud's latest and hopefully last attempt to cheerlead for Snyder here

Yeah this is cool and I hope it's good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlimGoodbody posted:

Let's all take the Ignore McCloud Challenge!

I participated in this event and now I feel ten years younger

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to clarify for the peekers: it's not that I don't love to talk on end about all the cringeworthy foibles of every single Snyder movie. It's not that I don't, in fact, thirst for that exact specific thing on a daily basis.

It's that we've all been down this road before with McCloud specifically and we all know exactly where it's headed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ignore Lists are for the weak, just embrace the crazy and get the most out of your :10bux:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Ted Kord's in it a little bit.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ignore Lists are for the weak, just embrace the crazy and get the most out of your :10bux:

De-platforming is an effective tactic for fighting fascists and also bad posters.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Netflix seems to be cancelling all their Marvel shows one by one. The only ones left are Punisher and Jessica Jones, and I wouldn't be surprised if announcements for them come after their next seasons are released.

So what exactly are the chances of all these properties being continued on Disney's streaming platform? Netflix is effectively giving up the rights, yes?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

That's neat. I must admit I'm not sure just how radically different he'll be from the current DCEU's version of Barry Allen, but I'm still excited to see Blue Beetle on the big screen.

Jamesman posted:

Netflix seems to be cancelling all their Marvel shows one by one. The only ones left are Punisher and Jessica Jones, and I wouldn't be surprised if announcements for them come after their next seasons are released.

So what exactly are the chances of all these properties being continued on Disney's streaming platform? Netflix is effectively giving up the rights, yes?

99.999% with the exception 0.001% made for the possibility that a meteor will wipe us all out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc there was recently talk of a dd show on disneys service so i would guess that maybe dd, cage, and jj might reappear but punisher definitely not

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I use them as content warnings, i will click to open but i know im taking my chances

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I know they announced JJ S3, but unless they’ve actually started filming I doubt it’s going to happen

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

With the Mouse bringing all of the disparate Marvel properties into the tent and also doing some limited series of characters from the films, I wonder if we might actually get a select few like DD or Punisher brought up into the higher pay grade stuff occasionally.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dont think disney will ever let a a show about a muderguy happen or feature him in any way and i predict that any show that any show that makes the transfer (if they do) will be severely toned down in content

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Disney makes plenty of violent stuff though and the MCU films are violent as gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but in a cartoony way, not like in a this guy gets stabbed repeatedly, punched until his head starts caving in, and then has his eyes gouged out with Frank's thumbs kinda way

Also theres no nudity or sex or hard r language being thrown around

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Yeah but in a cartoony way, not like in a this guy gets stabbed repeatedly, punched until his head starts caving in, and then has his eyes gouged out with Frank's thumbs kinda way

Also theres no nudity or sex or hard r language being thrown around

The show was extremely popular, Disney isn't going to say "no, we hate money."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dont think punisher would generate revenue that would make disney sully the for the whole family brand theyre cultivating for the service that as it seems to be now is cartoons, star wars, and the MCU. iirc response to it was rather muted compared to the other shows

site fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 30, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven't finished the current season of Daredevil, but it's drat good and it blows that they are pulling the plug. I shouldn't be surprised since despite the very positive reaction to this season they had not announced a renewal. It does seem like Netflix has decided that the return on investment for their Marvel stuff is not worth it to them anymore, which sucks. I know Defenders was a giant flop and that probably has a good deal to do with it. Punisher Season 2 is in production but that may be the last of these shows to air, the way this is going.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaime getting a movie is the best thing I've read all week.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Roth posted:

Jaime getting a movie is the best thing I've read all week.

Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll find a way to gently caress it up. Of course that’s assuming it actually gets made instead of ending up like the permanently TBD Flash/Cyborg movie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they'll put James Gunn on the Blue Beetle movie, that's the only way I'll have any faith in it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Soonmot posted:

Maybe they'll put James Gunn on the Blue Beetle movie, that's the only way I'll have any faith in it.

I think he's doing Suicide Squad 2

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I think he's doing Suicide Squad 2

ugh, I hope not. I don't think my love of Gunn can outweigh my disdain for the Suicide Squad (both as a concept and definitely as that movie franchise).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What, buy him a custom avatar? Now, that's something I don't believe in (because I don't believe in spending money on other people).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What I really hope is that Guy Gardner is in it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Netflix shows have 100% run their course. 3 seasons of Daredevil is totally fine, thats enough for me even though I like it (who would want 10 seasons of something like Breaking Bad even?). Likewise, I would like to see 3 seasons of Punisher although I don't think its going to happen.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist barely deserved one season and were not good. Jessica Jones season 1 was OK but I can't imagine watching it without Kilgrave - and thus haven't tried S2.

There's too much good stuff on TV now for mediocre super-hero shows. I'm currently working through Mad Men and am on S4. Who would seriously tell me to watch Iron Fist over Mad Men?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jaime isn't getting a movie until they announce casting, and have a director locked in with a script and shooting scheduled.

WB announces poo poo all the time but that doesn't mean anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rand Brittain posted:

What I really hope is that Guy Gardner is in it.

I say this about every DC film and TV project.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Images of the Captain Marvel Funko Pops are out, and appear to confirm that Jude Law’s character is Yon-Rogg, not Mar-Vell, which would likely mean that he’s the actual primary antagonist and that Talos is a secondary villain marketing bait-and-switch, a la Ayesha in GOTG2. Called it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Luke Cage and Iron Fist barely deserved one season and were not good. Jessica Jones season 1 was OK but I can't imagine watching it without Kilgrave - and thus haven't tried S2.

I'm fine with DD ending, but they had a really good sequel hook for Luke cage's third season and it sucks that it got cancelled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I woulda watched 8 seasons of Luke Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I wasn't huge on Luke Cage season 2 but I was excited to see where they were gonna go with season 3

• Locked thread