Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shageletic posted:

When did his Spider sense get involved? I don't remember that.

Mildest spoiler ever. There was at least one blink-and-you'll miss it bit in the airport fight where a thing is shown coming toward him from behind and he ducks out of its way without ever looking back at it. It was a very quick cut in a long scene full of them, easily missed. There might be others I did miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are also several instances where things that would normally trigger his comics Spider Sense didn't in the movie (or I suppose he simply ignored it each time?)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Civil War loving ruled and I'm glad that Zemo exists in the film as a small-scale villain who's still a plausible threat in a post-Cosmic universe, which is something that even the comics have trouble figuring out - most notably in how Civil War and Annihilation both ran at the exact same time and just never intersected, because otherwise it makes the main "event" look really silly, pointless, and stupid.

I still have a very soft spot in my heart for CW, being the first event I ever read, and Captain America: Civil War exceeded my very lofty expectations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Could just be his ring is made of vibranium and messes with metal and/or electronics.

Or it's some kind of way to turn the Panther powers 'on'. Like, no ring he's just Man In Nice Suit, with ring it's hello Prince Badass. Cap and Spidey have also both been able to block punches from the Winter Soldier.

Also, in reference to a beat some other people mentioned at the end: While "He killed my mom" is the big emotional line in that scene, all 3 characters get something. Steve has "I could do this all day" (followed by Bucky distracting Iron Man, so Buck saves him yet again after that line) and Bucky gets "Do you even remember them?" "I remember them all... :smith:"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really like how Spidey effortlessly caught and stopped Bucky's punch, when even Cap has been shown struggling to handle Bucky's enhanced strength. Granted Bucky was in Brainwashed Hydra Murder Mode then and was probably holding back a fair amount against Spider-Man, but still there's something hilariously great about how all Spider-Man has to say is just "Holy poo poo that's a metal arm!" :allears:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Also, in reference to a beat some other people mentioned at the end: While "He killed my mom" is the big emotional line in that scene, all 3 characters get something. Steve has "I could do this all day" (followed by Bucky distracting Iron Man, so Buck saves him yet again after that line) and Bucky gets "Do you even remember them?" "I remember them all... :smith:"

"I could do this all day" was especially awesome to me, after he said that to the bully kicking his rear end in the first movie... again, until Bucky jumped in to save him. It was a great callback for anyone who remembered that early scene, and if you didn't, it was still a cool line.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

There are also several instances where things that would normally trigger his comics Spider Sense didn't in the movie (or I suppose he simply ignored it each time?)

My understanding of his power is that if he's surrounded by danger from multiple angles he'd have a hard time pinpointing things that are immediate danger. Like while lasers and explosions and things are going on around him it's harder to register a punch from behind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

My understanding of his power is that if he's surrounded by danger from multiple angles he'd have a hard time pinpointing things that are immediate danger. Like while lasers and explosions and things are going on around him it's harder to register a punch from behind.

Also it seems like MCU Spidey mostly deals with muggers and bank robbers so far. There's a difference between that and a dude with robot wings and a lady that can move poo poo with her mind.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

For some reason I just don't like that Falcon's wings completely disappear when not in use.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Whatever they go with they better go with her current hairstyle.

Since, you know, it rules.

I seriously believe her redesign was partially done with putting her in a movie. Her old outfit, well, as Jess put it "You went out with your cheeks exposed!", but the new one is clearly mean to invoke the Captain part of Captain Marvel.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I know it's probably a bit too much to hope for but I'd love to see the Carol-corp from the recent Secret Wars series on the big screen someday.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

This is a very green Spider-man, and I loved that the movie made an effort to portray him as such. The earnestness of his adolescent character makes his allegience make a lot of sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shageletic posted:

This is a very green Spider-man, and I loved that the movie made an effort to portray him as such. The earnestness of his adolescent character makes his allegience make a lot of sense.

Poor kid, now at risk of getting an uncle Tony...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I know it's probably a bit too much to hope for but I'd love to see the Carol-corp from the recent Secret Wars series on the big screen someday.

poo poo, it'll never happen, but give us the current "Carol Corps" Alpha Flight :getin:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Naw, Alpha Flight. Puck on the big screen! I have heard that the solo movie is going to using the KSD run as a blueprint, but i'm hoping more in the vein of Carol is well liked by people in general and has a solid network of friends she relies on, and its a big dork. I mean, they better have her cat Chewie, and she needs to wear a Star Wars shirt at least once.

I do hope that Moonstone is the villain of her movie, and they don't go cosmic for her first solo film. Moonstone, not just because for some reason I love the character, but also that is another Thunderbolt they can have. Also moonstone is a lot more interesting that Deathbird, but like Mystique, I'm sure Deathbird is with X-men rights as she's a Shi'ar.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

twistedmentat posted:

Naw, Alpha Flight. Puck on the big screen! I have heard that the solo movie is going to using the KSD run as a blueprint, but i'm hoping more in the vein of Carol is well liked by people in general and has a solid network of friends she relies on, and its a big dork. I mean, they better have her cat Chewie, and she needs to wear a Star Wars shirt at least once.

I do hope that Moonstone is the villain of her movie, and they don't go cosmic for her first solo film. Moonstone, not just because for some reason I love the character, but also that is another Thunderbolt they can have. Also moonstone is a lot more interesting that Deathbird, but like Mystique, I'm sure Deathbird is with X-men rights as she's a Shi'ar.

My only experience with current comics is the Marvel Unlimited app, which is always several months behind new releases, so I haven't seen her Alpha Flight stuff yet! Sounds like something to look forward to.

Hell, I haven't even gotten to the end of Secret Wars yet. :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lomzus posted:

$95.8m China opening (that's what BvS did in its entire run.)

That's not really that surprising. Batman v Superman pretty much bombed in China after the first day. Even Ant-Man ended up making more there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Heathen posted:

They're pushing the Inhumans pretty hard in the comics as the X-Men Except We Own The Movie Rights.

Also, and more importantly, X-Men But Not Boring and Bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

Still curious what Tony said to him to convince him to fight Captain America.
Also I might have missed it but was it ever explained how Zemo knew Bucky killed Papa and Mama Stark

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toxxupation posted:

Also, and more importantly, X-Men But Boring and Bad.

Fixed friend

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

Also I might have missed it but was it ever explained how Zemo knew Bucky killed Papa and Mama Stark

He said he read through the leaked SHIELD files and the info was probably in there mixed in with the Hydra stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Madkal posted:

IIRC, and added with my personal thoughts, Tony asks why Peter does what he does. He basically responds with, "I'm helping the little guy. I'm doing what (I think) is right." That in and of itself, would seem to line up more with Cap's way of thinking. It's not explicitly shown, but Tony probably said, "hey, look, there's this new law regarding super heroes, Cap and some of his friends broke that law and I need help arresting them." Seeing as how Spidey tried to read Falcon(?) his rights, he probably thinks he was deputized. I do kind of wonder if Tony got Peter to sign in an attempt to "protect" him.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Peter is a teenage science nerd. He probably thinks a guy wearing the American flag and calling themselves Captain America is an outdated, jingoistic Old White Dude (obv having no concern for what his actual political or moral concerns are because again, high school kid).

Then when Tony Stark shows up, that's like Elon Musk showing up at a Redditor's front door and saying, "Hey, I want to make you the world's youngest astronaut + I'm building you a personal, custom rocket and paying you for it." He'd probably cut off his left nut if Tony asked him to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

He didn't know everything for sure until he got into the cell with Winter Soldier and activated him. He only had suspicions from the Hydra/SHIELD document leak. He says he was able to decrypt parts of it it but not all. With the info he is able to decrypt he tracks down the Hydra agent and tries to get the mission info from him but it doesn't work. Then his plans turn to Bucky whom he found out how to control through the red book. So he knew if he could get access to Bucky he could get the info he needed. He frames Bucky in order to bring him out of hiding and get access to him and learns the info he needs. In fact the first thing he asks Bucky after having him under control is what exactly went down on that mission. The bombing of the UN probably would have never even taken place if that Hydra agent had just given up the info. The only info he knows for sure is that Bucky is Winter Soldier and he's pretty sure that it was Winter Soldier who killed Stark's parents. He has to connect all the dots from there. And he's pretty sure once he does that will put Steve and Tony at odds, and it does.

Then his plan turns to getting Stark and Rogers together for the info to be played out. He gets Cap and Bucky to think he's activating more Winter Soldiers so that they come to find him. Then he calls the hotel and has the room service discover the body which leads to Tony discovering who he is and finding him. This brings them all together so that he can reveal everything to them. Whether or not more Avengers would have come with Tony or Steve is inconsequential because at that point they're divided anyway as far as he knew and it could have resulted in even more chaos.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait...that's not fixed! That's not fixed at all!

And regardless your feelings on the Inhumans you can at least admit that "X-Men but...bad" is a redundant descriptor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toxxupation posted:

Wait...that's not fixed! That's not fixed at all!

And regardless your feelings on the Inhumans you can at least admit that "X-Men but...bad" is a redundant descriptor.

I like the X-men!

Not the current X-men, but they were good once!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The X-Men were at one time the absolute coolest thing in the world

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Travis343 posted:

The X-Men were at one time the absolute coolest thing in the world

I remember that. I think it was a Wednesday.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The X-Men used to be at least important, when the only way you could portray minorities and have it sell was via metaphor. But now that the big two, especially Marvel, portrays minorities by actually creating minority superheroes the metaphorical aspects of the X-Men feels clumsy and surprisingly dated. And without that metaphor the X-Men are basically Pokemon led by a whiny prick. Yes I know Cyclops is dead right now or whatever but still gently caress that guy.

As an aside I gotta say I'm really proud of the fact that Marvel's glommed onto how the legacy characters can and should be played by minorities, since it doesn't really matter who wields mjolnir or who wall crawls as long as somebody does, and the different perspectives freshen tired characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think Zemo knew about Black Panther though. Even though he was on Tony's side, he wasn't really. He had his own agenda and for a time it matched up with Starks. As soon as he figured it out he was on his own. BP could have tried to intervene between Cap and Tony, but probably realized that they had to finish it, or they'd never really finish it. [spoiler]

Something i keep seeing people confused about [spoiler] is how Steve knew. Uh Widow gave him that file on Winter Soldier, and straight up said "you're not going to like what you find" so it could be there. Or even when Zola was showing him his power point presentation

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What language do T'Chaka and T'Challa speak to each other? Is it an actual African language or is it "Wakandan" and it just sounds similar to actual languages?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think Zemo knew about Black Panther though. Even though he was on Tony's side, he wasn't really. He had his own agenda and for a time it matched up with Starks. As soon as he figured it out he was on his own. BP could have tried to intervene between Cap and Tony, but probably realized that they had to finish it, or they'd never really finish it. [spoiler]

Something i keep seeing people confused about [spoiler] is how Steve knew. Uh Widow gave him that file on Winter Soldier, and straight up said "you're not going to like what you find" so it could be there. Or even when Zola was showing him his power point presentation

For your second point, Steve definitely finds out that Tony's parents were killed by Hydra from Zola. It's assumed that he probably figured from there that it was Bucky's doing but we can figure out from the events of this movie that it was never explicitly stated in the info that Widow dug up, that's why Zemo had to track down Bucky to confirm it. He even told the Hydra agent that he didn't want to have to get Bucky involved. I got the feeling from Zemo that even he had sympathy for Bucky and would have left him in hiding but he did what he to do to him in order to get to Steve and Tony. His plan to tear Steve and Tony apart didn't really require Bucky to be present, just for Stark to want Bucky dead.

AnonSpore posted:

What language do T'Chaka and T'Challa speak to each other? Is it an actual African language or is it "Wakandan" and it just sounds similar to actual languages?

I think I read it was actually Xosa that was used. It's a South African language. The actor that played T'Chaka speaks it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC, and added with my personal thoughts, Tony asks why Peter does what he does. He basically responds with, "I'm helping the little guy. I'm doing what (I think) is right." That in and of itself, would seem to line up more with Cap's way of thinking. It's not explicitly shown, but Tony probably said, "hey, look, there's this new law regarding super heroes, Cap and some of his friends broke that law and I need help arresting them." Seeing as how Spidey tried to read Falcon(?) his rights, he probably thinks he was deputized. I do kind of wonder if Tony got Peter to sign in an attempt to "protect" him.

But implicit with all that is, "With great power comes great responsibility," which lines up much more with registration. Being accountable to someone probably seems pretty good to a kid who's devoted himself to upholding Ben's legacy, and he doesn't see how Cap is doing the same until I think that exchange of New York ties. I doubt it's even a viewing of Cap as a relic so much as something somewhat unrelatable... the difference between General Schwartzkopf showing up at your house, and Steve Jobs. One just appeals more to a tech kid.

Also, the X-Men are still the coolest loving thing, just their movies are done by a bad studio (I don't like them, anyway), and the comics have gotten away from, "Kids with nationalities and identities at a school going on wacky adventures." It's all this grappling with extinction bullshit that doesn't have any grounding in minority metaphor and also puts a dumb hard cap on how many mutants you save/meet a week, which has weakened the line as a whole.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It strikes me that Civil War is the first Marvel movie that's probably truly hard to follow if you haven't seen the other ones. Like, Avengers didn't actually need you to see the solo movies to get who the characters were, and Winter Soldier had a recap of the First Avenger to get you up to speed, and even Age of Ultron had a core superheroes vs. evil robot story to latch on to, but this one really trades on the audience knowing everyone's relationships already. If I had somehow never seen Winter Soldier I'm pretty sure I'd have no clue what Bucky's deal was in Civil War.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

X-O posted:

I think I read it was actually Xosa that was used. It's a South African language. The actor that played T'Chaka speaks it.

I definitely heard some Khoisan click-syllables in there, so it's definitely from somewhere in southern Africa, while geographically Wakanda is in the great lakes region, north of Uganda, but eh, it sounded cool.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

If I had somehow never seen Winter Soldier I'm pretty sure I'd have no clue what Bucky's deal was in Civil War.

Honestly, the only movie you really need to see before this is Winter solider. If someone jumps into the third movie in a series blind and can't follow along that's really on them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Here's where Cap learned of Stark's death, directly from the last movie.

From the Zola scene in Winter Soldier. You have notification of Stark's death + the date of the death. It wouldn't take a genius to know that it was probably Stark on the video when he saw the date.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It strikes me that Civil War is the first Marvel movie that's probably truly hard to follow if you haven't seen the other ones. Like, Avengers didn't actually need you to see the solo movies to get who the characters were, and Winter Soldier had a recap of the First Avenger to get you up to speed, and even Age of Ultron had a core superheroes vs. evil robot story to latch on to, but this one really trades on the audience knowing everyone's relationships already. If I had somehow never seen Winter Soldier I'm pretty sure I'd have no clue what Bucky's deal was in Civil War.

Age of Ultron is virtually incomprehensible without context, and even with it it's a discombobulated mess of trailers for other movies and elements of every hero's individual themes and ideas, despite most of them not working in the greater context of the film in which it exists. Remember how Thor just fuckin' leaves the story for a hot minute to get all gothy in a cave? Unless you watch the Thor movies you'd have no loving clue why or how he does all that stuff, and the Civil War trailers in Ultron are really awkwardly placed in the film. That Tony/Cap convo on the farm is great, and one of the best parts of an overall bad film, but it makes zero sense in greater context. I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War", it just happens and then Vision immediately breaks it up. It's so, so so dumb.

And Bucky's pretty obvious in CW, a guy framed for a crime he didn't commit that also has weird PTSD brain control from Evil Soviets. I mean, sure, you don't get why Steve's so committed to saving Bucky, I guess, but that's kinda it. And really, the only context you need for why Steve's so intent on saving Bucky is "he's a hero, Bucky is innocent, heroes help out the innocent".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Here's where Cap learned of Stark's death, directly from the last movie.

From the Zola scene in Winter Soldier. You have notification of Stark's death + the date of the death. It wouldn't take a genius to know that it was probably Stark on the video when he saw the date.

Although that's the wrong Howard Stark actor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Age of Ultron is virtually incomprehensible without context, and even with it it's a discombobulated mess of trailers for other movies and elements of every hero's individual themes and ideas, despite most of them not working in the greater context of the film in which it exists. Remember how Thor just fuckin' leaves the story for a hot minute to get all gothy in a cave? Unless you watch the Thor movies you'd have no loving clue why or how he does all that stuff, and the Civil War trailers in Ultron are really awkwardly placed in the film. That Tony/Cap convo on the farm is great, and one of the best parts of an overall bad film, but it makes zero sense in greater context. I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War", it just happens and then Vision immediately breaks it up. It's so, so so dumb.

And Bucky's pretty obvious in CW, a guy framed for a crime he didn't commit that also has weird PTSD brain control from Evil Soviets. I mean, sure, you don't get why Steve's so committed to saving Bucky, I guess, but that's kinda it. And really, the only context you need for why Steve's so intent on saving Bucky is "he's a hero, Bucky is innocent, heroes help out the innocent".

Hell, I watched both Thor movies and I STILL think Thor's vision cave was confusing and dumb.

Though FWIW my folks really enjoyed Cap III despite not having seen anything but Avengers I and Ant-man. I did show them a couple clips from Age of Ultron before we went to the movie because I figured the Vision would probably make the least sense out of any of the heroes. You lose a lot of backstory, but it's still pretty easy to understand the basics of the cap/bucky relationship from context clues.

• Locked thread