Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
BvS opened on Easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's the right side. Cap is a douche.

Seems like this movie is about choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Why is Wanda locked up? For her part in AoU?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, gently caress Gwyneth Paltrow. Pepper Potts is absolutely not needed as a character.

lol, you mean good for her because she doesn't need to play second fiddle to RDJ.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

If you mean without RDJ the MCU wouldn't have kickstarted I can't disagree, but if you mean the continuation of MCU relies solely on RDJ's presence I'd argue that it is not a good thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Marvel choosing to not use their female superheroes is not a good excuse for not having them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

I'm saying most of those specific characters don't warrant use because they're either superfluous to each or other heroes. You're really going to count female spider hero as three separate entries? One of which even people that read comics would be hard pressed to recognize? Also Moondragon, Tigra, and Squirrel Girl are serious options? Nobody at all cares about the first two and the last one is literally a joke.

I've seen many people describe Iron Man as a C-List/D-List character prior to the MCU and they made that work. Maybe Marvel could at least try?

Squirrel Girl could easily work with a tone similar to GotG, hell it justifiably could get away with an even sillier tone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Squirrel Girl could work as a cartoon, something akin to a Pixar movie. It would never work in the MCU.

A guy who communicates with Ants and changes his size was an extremely popular live-action motion picture in this decade, but talking to squirrels and being silly is a bridge too far?

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I can't think of any who would be on that list and didn't get one.
Ant-Man was routinely touted as the one that will never happen. I don't think anyone predicted Guardians of the Galaxy and I remember after the announcement came out a lot of the media was like "Who are these people? Why is Marvel using them?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Squirrel Girl would absolutely, positively not work as a Marvel movie anchor. X-O's totally right there. You're looking at a Netflix series, a half-hour sitcom starring Kristen Schaal.

We can't know, because Marvel won't even try.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno. I think her current series is showing that she beats people not with her powers, but because she tries out things other than punching. Like talking to them. And with Ewing integrating her into New Avengers, she's much less of a joke character now and could very well be adapted.

No way man, she talks to squirrels and says silly things which would not fit into the MCU at all. Marvel audiences aren't ready for silly jokes and lighthearted storytelling.

Toxxupation posted:

The whole point of the character is that she breaks the power curve. That's not sustainable in the same universe without reining in her power (negating her character) AND making her serious (negating her character).

She's also a lovely example of a female superhero to start with. Thirty years down the line when Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman and She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel and the Inhumans are running around? Sure, maybe then. But Squirrel Girl was conceived as a joke that only works if you "get" how powerful the extended Marvel Universe is, and how funny it is that she's insanely overpowered.

You're talking about a unvierse that hasn't even introduced Thanos and you want a character that beat him in a straight-up fight to get a starring movie? C'mon. That's stupid.

She beats him in a one-off Christmas special. Vision and Scarlett Witch have power curve breaking abilities but no one's complaining about them being included. Also, I'm not hitching my wagon to specifically Squirrel-Girl, any of the women on that original list could be made into a live-action MCU counterpart, but Marvel doesn't seem interested in trying.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

She's a joke character that only works as a subversion of and reaction to established concepts of Marvel canon. She's awesome, she's amazing, but if you were to make a list of the best female Marvel superheroes currently in use she wouldn't even crack the top five. You can't subvert expectations as you're establishing them. Deadpool's an exception because he's a comic book character who's literally aware he's a comic book character.

If they actually made a Squirrel Girl movie it wouldn't be slated for release until 2020 or beyond. Marvel needs to build expectations beyond that time frame? How long do they need before they can be subverted?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody would see Squirrel Girl.

I would make sure of it.

You just don't Kimmy Schmidt to get cancelled since she'd be Squirrel Girl.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Compared to 616, which is exactly where they'd be drawing female supers from? Yeah, the MCU is tiny in scope.

And again, you're ignoring my point. I want more female MCU superheroes, just not ones that are literal jokes that only work because of how they invert expectations for Cosmic/Magic Marvel.

Most of the movies ignore huge swaths of the comic book versions of characters to tell the stories they want to tell. Why would Squirrel Girl or any other female hero not do the same?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Because Squirrel Girl was invented as a joke. There's a difference between going "let's make her origin legally and distinctly different from being a mutant" to "let's make her Not a Joke".

That's pretty piss poor reasoning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

redbackground posted:

Has Ant-Man made more "waves in the comics" than Hawkeye?

Yeah, he was the creator of Ultron just like in AoU...........

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

redbackground posted:

Wolverine was a pretty loving joke character when he first showed up, too.

He's still a joke :ssh:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Call me crazy, but I think Marvel and the MCU should probably try to make some original female characters that aren't just gender swapped versions of male characters and well defined. Those would would have a much better chance at actually being successful movies. Sure female Thor is fun, but why not make a similar character and push her the same way that isn't just a duplicate of someone else?

Do you actually see Marvel creating original heroes to add to the MCU or just continue to go to the well of already owned IPs?

X-O posted:

The idea that people are equating Wolverine and Deadpool with Squirrel Girl as joke characters is ridiculous. That's just arguing in bad faith and you know it. Neither have ever been actual joke characters like what Squirrel Girl became.

The fact you continue to push that Squirrel Girl live action is an impossibility is ridiculous. You even point out in a prior post its more about economics than about storytelling. So again I say, Marvel isn't trying to adapt them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

And you act like economics means nothing. Also economics has nothing do with Squirrel Girl being a bad fit, that's more for other characters. I'd say make a Pixar movie of that right now and it would make a lot of money easily. It just wouldn't work in the MCU.

It wouldn't make a billion dollars, but I can safely guarantee it'd make it's money back and then some.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I miss Terrence Howard War Machine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

And if we're going to go on and say that a character is derivative of X or of Y than really what we're saying is every character is a derivative of Superman, making the point moot. Because that's the logical extreme of the argument, really.

You're right we should watch MoS/BvS and talk about that instead. :unsmigghh:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

That never really happened.

Yeah I should have just said Rhodey.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Also that sick leg headlock takedown/DDT combo. Just saw Civil War, and I one of the many things I loved was the fighting styles shown (although some of it had a bit too much shaky-cam).

Bucky didn't power bomb her through the table when he had the chance = bad movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The jacket looks photoshopped onto her, it's odd.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was actually thinking about the potential casting of Captain Marvel lately, and since I've recently watched Continuum, I got to thinking, how about Rachel Nichols?

I like this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I just don't know how anybody could argue against Charlize Theron as Captain Marvel. She's the spitting image of the character, has the acting and action bona fides, and is relevant (due to Fury Road) without being too big for the MCU. She's the perfect casting.

She is pretty spot on casting, I just don't think Theron would want to do it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone wants Charlize Theron.

But everyone is also aware her age might prevent her from being cast. If they're planning another 15+ year run for the post-Infinity characters, they're probably not going to cast someone in their 40s.

Also this.

Btw, every time I see your post I make sure to watch Titus's whole thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That article's source is Devin Faraci's article and he makes no mention where he heard that it's Steppenwolf. He just says "we know it's him"

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/11/we-know-the-villain-of-justice-league

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It probably would've still sucked because Zack Snyder is a bad director and worse writer, who has a weird brokebrain version of the stories he thinks he's adapting, but there you go.

You realize he didn't write BvS right?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Whoops, yeah, that was Goyer wasn't it? Apologies.

Goyer and Terrio

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

It would have worked if it was just her scenes at the party - an introduction to the character - without having her participate in the end battle. An end battle which was entirely superfluous, anyway - If they wanted to kill Superman, just have Batman do it. If the point was that Batman feels sorry for what he did, have him learn of Superman's "true intentions" after he's killed, and then when Superman comes back to life, he forgives Batman, because he's loving Superman.

This is terrible fanfiction level rewriting.

Ignite Memories posted:

A lot of it is just the douche chill factor.

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

To be fair I did it in less than a minute with no considerations or rewrites so yeah, I would expect so.

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

redbackground posted:

Well, he did get better.

Technically.

Haha, nice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Not any worse than what was on screen.

"WHY DID YOU SAYY THAT NAAAAAMEEEE?"

It was actually pretty good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

If you're complaining about lazy, fanfic writing, then you have no legs to stand on.

Because I enjoyed a movie you didn't and I'm not trying "fix" movies I don't like with bad fanfiction ideas? okay.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

I find it hard to believe that you legitimately have no complaints about that scene or about the motivations of the characters.

But whatever, what I find hard to believe isn't really relevant.

It's cheesy, but I did enjoy it. Affleck sells it really well, you can see the wheels turning in his head as he tries to work out what the gently caress is going.

I found the character motivations of Batman and Lex to be well explained and in line with their actions.

I'm not trolling, sorry if that hurts your brain.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I never got the impression in Civil War that Tony grabbing Spidey was meant to be seen as hosed up or super weird. He brought him in to fight Captain fuckin America. And Spidey was actually whipping the rear end of literally everyone on Team Cap for a while. The kid took a hard hit and at that point Tony was like "Job well done, head home." He sent all of Team Tony home at that point though. And all of Team Cap to jail.

It's certainly not the intent, but the depiction does come off weird. He manipulates an underage kid with spider powers to fight for him in a cause the kid knows nothing about.

e: Or maybe it is intended, because Tony's manipulation isn't subtle.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I presume because Jessica Jones would have started laughing and then threw his rear end out the door.

TO THE RAFT WITH HER

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

redbackground posted:

There is no way she would have given his recruitment pitch any kind of attention.

Daredevil probably would have been down. Dude loves punching stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Daredevil probably would have been on Cap's side. Hell, he probably would have offered to represent Bucky in court.

If Spiderman had been told the whole story from Tony I think he'd be conflicted about joining Cap's side as well. it's all about how Tony frames his recruitment speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

The only part of the story that would endear someone to Cap's side is the knowledge that Bucky is actually 100% innocent and he's being framed. Not only that, but there's a shoot to kill order on him, so he doesn't even have much of a chance to prove his innocence or that he's being controlled. The problem is that Tony himself doesn't know any of that. And he only doesn't know about that because Steve outright refused to tell him, because he didn't think he would believe him. You make it sound as if Tony had that knowledge and purposefully left it out in order to recruit Spider-Man, but that's not what happened. From his standpoint, Bucky killed the poo poo out of a lot of people and Cap's defending him solely because they used to be friends.

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Tony purposefully manipulated him, the whole "He's wrong but he thinks he's doing the right thing." is how Tony views the conflict.

There's that whole bit that by refusing the Accords they will get locked up. I really don't think Spidey would be cool having Cap locked away.

"He's wrong but thinks he's doing the right thing" is purposefully vague and manipulative. There's no way to make an informed decision with that information. "If Tony thinks he's wrong then I should take his word for it!" is basically what Spidey does, because he's young and naive. The issue is far more complex then Tony implies with his statement.

• Locked thread