Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Batman V Superman or AOU open on a holiday weekend? Civil War won't have that.

It is Mother's Day but who knows how many people are taking their moms to see Captain America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If they want to make a Black Widow movie they can do it whenever, just because they say we're doing X movie in Y year it's not like they're going to get arrested if they shuffle some stuff around.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't seen Civil War yet but every time I see this thread in my bookmarks it gets that Journey song stuck in my head. Well, that's my story, thanks for reading.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The X-Men were at one time the absolute coolest thing in the world

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The history of superhero comics is people taking lovely characters created by hacky writers for stupid reasons decades ago and somehow making audiences love them. The movies shouldn't be any different.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Never saw Days of Future Past, to be honest. Got scared off after watching First Class again and finding it near-intolerable the second time around, and that's apparently the "good one".

Well First Class was "the good one" at a time when the other recent X-movies were The Last Stand and the solo Wolverine movies. Days of Future Past is "the good one" now.

And poo poo as a DC comics fan I loving wish "Thor 2 bad" was the worst I had to expect going to see a movie with my favorite characters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Well I'm pretty sure Oracle is no longer a thing so there's that.

Oh don't worry, the lovely origin still happened, she just got better real fast.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Ant Man is significantly less stupid than Squirrel Girl.

If you dont know anything about the characters but their names they're almost equal. Squirrel Girl is sillier because it rhymes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She's already having a fully successful career and unlike RDJ doesn't need that redemption narrative to get real famous again, I doubt she is going to want to commit to a bazillion movies of green-screen work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA.

I think you mean AOA

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Since they're obviously going to be full-on Apokalips by JL2 I wonder if they can get Ed Asner back to play Granny Goodness.

For that matter, who's going to play Barda and Scott Free?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robin should be in a Batman movie but Batman movies should stop being oppressively grim and/or realistic

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mycot posted:

I just don't think general audiences like the Kid Tagalong thing anymore (did anyone actually like it, ever? As far as I can remember even kids hated the obligatory kid stand-ins.)

Well Robin has pretty much never been written well outside of comic books. Even Dick on B:TAS wasn't well done outside of his origin story. Tim on TNBA was a lot better, he got a few great episodes. And he was unambiguously a little kid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ignite Memories posted:

Yep, too bad Fox clearly doesn't understand what they did right with the movies that did well.

This doesn't ring true to me because IMO, what they did right was Bryan Singer directing. You've got two solid movies with Singer and the franchise drives off a cliff in a flaming Volkswagen with X3, then it gets solid again when Singer comes back for DoFP. Even as awful and stupid as the promo shots looked the movie itself was dope. This cemented Bryan Singer as "the guy who makes good X-Men movies" in my brain.

Apocalypse being terrible despite having Singer as directer was not even on my magic 8-ball of possibilities. I still have a hard time believing it and am holding out hope it's good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ignite Memories posted:

Everyone around here says Days of Future Past was great, but was it really? It had some fun action sequences but the plot was incredibly stupid. Character motivations felt baseless and Magneto turned back into a blithering idiot. It reeked of studio interference and I still think cat beast looks better than the crap we got in DoFP. I mean, seriously? Magneto tries to prevent the government from getting Mystique's DNA by shooting her in public? In front of an important government building? And then dragging her around smearing blood all over the place?? The logic of that scene alone ruins the whole movie for me, especially when you've got wolverine winking out of the plot because the writer needed it to happen. And why the gently caress was it Kitty Pryde who sends people back in time? Why would it EVER be Kitty Pryde? I think the fight scenes with blink and the quicksilver scene were awesome, and the rest is just kinda tiresome to me. Quicksilver bails after one cool scene because the writer doesn't want to deal with having a fast guy. And of course, the whole thing bends over backwards to make the story about wolverine.

In comparison, First Class had a really strong plotline with a few obnoxious characters. The x-kids were hokey as hell, but the setpieces and confrontations felt logical and well-put together. The plot had flow. Sebastian Shaw's plan to jumpstart the age of mutants by plunging the world into nuclear war makes sense and fits the time period. The scene with the codenames was definitely the low point of the movie, but the rest felt right to me. The ending sequence is the highlight of the entire series for me.

First Class got me really excited for new X-men movies, and then DoFP took a lot of the wind out of my sails. I frankly don't understand why people think of DoFP as the stronger of the two. Days of Future Past makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I mean, you're not wrong about most of those criticisms. I guess there's enough cool poo poo in the movie that I can ignore it. Blink is cool, Bishop is cool. The Sentinels are cool, Dinklage is great. Quicksilver is loving rad. And yeah honestly it garnered a huge amount of positivity from me for erasing mother loving X Three from reality.

I'm not arguing First Class was bad though. Kevin Bacon is great, everything with Erik and Charles is great. Everything with the actual first class is pretty weak though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's why the 90s cartoon gave her the full suite of superpowers even though most audiences would have no idea why she could fly or whatever. Rogue who can only steal people's energy is a lame character, who has only one setting: moping about how she can never touch anybody. She never gets to do anything fun and she really has nothing she can add to a fight scene.

Full powers Rogue can and does mope too, but she can also fly and throw cars around.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't seen Spirit of Vengeance but the first Ghost Rider loving rules.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I know Geoff Johns has written good things

I keep hearing people say this and I've never seen it personally. It's like seeing the Loch Ness Monster, some people swear up and down that it exists but we keep looking with advanced sonar and coming up empty.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Do you have a loving red phone in your study that beeps when somebody mentions BvS in this thread and you push a button in Shakespeare's neck then slide down a pole and post feverishly on your giant atomic computer or what

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

... Huh? Are you talking to me?

No bravestofthelamps, sorry, like five people posted while I was typing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeff Goldblum in literally anything is cause for celebration.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

This was actually made a literal plot point for a bit when JMS was doing the totem stuff. Spider-Man's villains were people who instinctively responded to Spider-Man's own thing but ended up being pale imitations.

Has JMS ever written anything good

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

qntm posted:

I kind of want to see them close the door on this X-Men universe and start over. They've made what, seven films, and about three good ones altogether? Recast everybody, reboot back to X-Men, drop some continuity. It can't be worse.

They did that one movie ago though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

China is already bleak and depressing to live in, maybe they don't like bleak and depressing escapism.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Wonder Woman is going to do well, BvS was a flaming meteor of anti-hype and one of those movies that despite making money is still going to go down as a flop. It has primed the public against the DCCU on two fronts people think it's either going to be more of the same which means they are going to skip it or that BvS flopping and the shift in executives will trigger a reboot and the movie won't matter so they'll skip it. Normally all this studio stuff flies under the general audience's radar but BvS flopping has made it actual news, news that'll pop back up when Wonder Woman gets close to release.

Suicide Squad might hit but it'll be riding Deadpool's coattails to any success.

Even people who hated the movie had a lot of great things to say about Wonder Woman though. I think she's got pretty good buzz going at the moment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

theflyingorc posted:

If it's good they'll see it. Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had anyone see it if it had been terrible, but strong buzz made it do well.

And the negative news about BvS really, really overstated its case. The movie wasn't what the studio hoped, but I've seen worse movies.

China University

edit: If Suicide Squad sucks I think that will actually make people start to notice "DCCU BAD", but I think they'd need a run of 4 bad ones or so to tank the entire effort.

Suicide Squad would make three in a row, which would also be 100% of the films in the shared universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you make a Superman movie and it gets rated R you should be arrested

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dan Didio posted:

That seems excessive and insane to me.

If you're the president of the company that owns Superman and you let a person make an R rated movie about Superman you should also be arrested

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bust Nut League?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

B-but... Quips!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can't/won't/don't laugh at a good fart joke (not just a fart being the whole joke but a good fart joke) you are probably a robot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X1 is nostalgia, X2 actually rules

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sion posted:

Does it though? Like- 'here is a heavy handed metaphor about being a gay teenager, and also a few fights in moody, underlit corridors.' Don't get me wrong, seeing the shimmery phoenix under the water at the end was like seeing a helicarrier in the avengers for the first time in a way but much, much less impactful. Actually no, it was more like seeing RDJ at the end of the hulk movie with Ed Norton.

I mean, I guess at the time we were probably all welp this is as good as it's ever gonna get but...

You've got the white house sequence, Wolverine vs. Stryker's troops and the mansion invasion scene, Magneto escaping the prison, the entire Alkali Lake thing with the Lady Deathstrike fight as the centerpiece. The weakest action scenes are probably the cgi tornadoes and Scott vs. Jean and even those are fine. It's an awesome movie.

And this is comic books, man, we like our metaphors heavy and obvious. We like escape artists named Scott Free and bad guys named Darkseid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

IM2 Black Widow looks really weird nowadays

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Are you being sarcastic here.

Storm was not centerstage at all

Storm SHOULD have been a much bigger deal than she was, as she is the Best X-Man, but they should have gotten a better actress in the process.

X3 is the only one where it feels like she's getting up in the camera more often, and that's because after Cyclops dies Storm is the obvious new leader of the team.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I mean she took out Toad in the first movie, is that "important to the plot" too or just being there for the fights? It was important to the plot that somebody take Toad out, after all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She made Charles realize he was in an illusion because it was suddenly very cold and it didn't match the scene the telepathic kid was presenting him. I thought it was clever enough. The entire Alkali Lake attack involved a bunch of them splitting up and doing separate tasks, they all had to succeed for the plot to work as it did. Because like you said, it is an ensemble film.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

muscles like this? posted:

I want to say that the literal last shot of the movie the door closing on Prof X has been in trailers/commercials.

It's kind of weird how in these three new X-Men movies there hasn't really been an "X-Men" team for very much of them. There's the finale of First Class and the very end of Apocalypse but not at all in Days of Future Past.

The X-Men in DOFP are the future team who mostly get killed by Sentinels.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hahaha McAvoy 100% looks like an actual child in that suit with the bald head. He looks like he's there for a Make A Wish day or something. The wheelchair is too big for his lil body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She's 26 and the movie doesn't come out for like four years. She's fine.

• Locked thread