Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Well here's something I never saw coming. Adam McKay will direct the movie adaptation of Irredeemable for FOX based on Mark Waid's great comic. I had no idea this was even picked up for a movie.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

No way they're keeping the ending

OR WOULD THEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Squirrel Girl could work as a cartoon, something akin to a Pixar movie. It would never work in the MCU.

But the talking raccoon, that's okay.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Or instead of focusing on her power level you focus on her being chipper, optimistic and slightly over the top despite her silly power set? Nor does she need to be serious. Frigging Deadpool is one of the most profitable superhero films ever.
Right. The writers can choose who Squirrel Girl comes into contact with. You don't have to throw her at Thanos. Give her Kraven and his Kravan. Bring in her mom, too, who is just the best. Set her up with Deadpool's Guide to Supervillain trading card set (see Can't Hardly Wait for cinematic precedent), and you're gold, baby.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 9, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Like just imagine a Doreen Green being an intern at Stark Industries, who is super hyper and keeps trying to talk to Tony. She begs him to let her be his sidekick, says what her powers are, and he blows her off. Then in a stinger you have her shown having beaten some supervillain or having talked them into doing something better with their lives.

You could toss her into a Spider-Man movie as Peter's classmate, or Young Avengers.
Nope, it's too much. The MCU can't possibly handle something like that. Shut it down.

(SQ giving a motivational speech to stop villainy is all I want.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 9, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

You don't make movies out characters that barely make waves in the comics. That's why you're also never going to see a Nova, Red Wolf, Starbrand, Spider-Man 2099 movie or solo movies for characters like Hawkeye and Vision.
Has Ant-Man made more "waves in the comics" than Hawkeye?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

That's pretty piss poor reasoning.

Wolverine was a pretty loving joke character when he first showed up, too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The idea that people are equating Wolverine and Deadpool with Squirrel Girl as joke characters is ridiculous. That's just arguing in bad faith and you know it. Neither have ever been actual joke characters like what Squirrel Girl became.
She got better.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm curious to know what people think of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film, not so much as an adaptation, and more as its own thing. I was thinking of re-watching it recently, not having done so in more than 10 years. I saw it when it came out - I would have been about 12 - and I had it on VHS, and I remember thinking it was really clever to use all of these characters from Victorian literature as a kind of Justice League (which was incidentally the newest entry in the DCAU at that time). Of course, I subsequently read the comics and realised it was much bigger than "just" this 19th-century Justice League, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up on its own.

It provoked a bit of a mini-boom in movies that used a similar stylistic approach. Van Helsing, obviously. I feel as though it is itself influenced considerably by the Blade movies.

As a whole film, it's a mess. Mina/Peta, Dorian Gray, Nemo/WhateverHisActor'sNameIs and the design of the Nautilus are the easy highlights but everything around them is just...muddy. Effects are unfinished, the bad guy's a snooze, and action scenes are overall pretty generic. THAT SAID I always find myself watching at least a little bit when it shows up on Encore or FX.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

WW wrap photo.
That one dude must smell awful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!
Well, he did get better.

Technically.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

It's also weird as hell that Tony recruited him instead of, y'know, Jessica Jones.
There is no way she would have given his recruitment pitch any kind of attention.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to picture Jessica mixing it up during the airport battle and I can't see a version where she doesn't look horrifically embarrassed to be there the entire time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
To the surprise of nobody, Harley is getting her own movie, but not as a solo film, but as...a DC lady showcase? It's all very vague.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Grandmaster is an elder of the universe, like the Collector in GOTG (at least in the comics)

Instead of getting stuff, he's obsessed with games
The Game of Life, uh, finds a way!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Batman sees a possible future in which Superman is a dictator (i.e., somone who wields absolute Power).
As far as he knows, he just has a dream, which is probably the worst reason to go and kill someone.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat, Devin Faraci, is saying that the current direction for Flash is that it will be a buddy team movie with Flash and Cyborg.
The most Geoff Johnsian movie that ever could exist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Once again, I shamelessly request that Shepard Smith be cast.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see how FOX pivots from here
Deadpool v X-Men

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He's also hosting a game show on USA network with Dana Carvey :psyduck:
Yeah, First Impressions. The episode with Dana and Steve Carell was pretty entertaining?!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

wait that was him all along? :stare:
He does exist! :faints:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Sue looks like a Greg Land, but they all look to be copy pasted from a few different sources. The coloring doesn't match on a few of them.
Yeah, I think it's just a composite--the full landscape art is everywhere online but I couldn't find an actual credit for it anywhere, which tells me it was done in-house by mashing a bunch of art together (and a lot of the smaller characters are definitely different art styles). There's a She-Hulk that looks like it was ripped from one of Slott's covers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Neither Thor 2 nor IM 2 are as bad as the tragic tire fire of a mess of a "film" that is IM 3, the movie that goes out of its way to poo poo on disabled people for the cowardly action of wanting missing limbs back
Well, that, and the whole wanting to publicly assassinate the President deal...

IM3, best IM.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 30, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

I do not understand what is being said in terms of her "being his monument" and how those pictures establish that.
I didn't either but I figured it was probably dumb anyway and didn't care enough to find out more.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Gettin' fuckin' ready to slay the Columbia TriStar Pegasus.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Also weirdly enough, the singer from Mindless Self Indulgence. Gunn is just throwing all his friends into the movie as Ravagers.
Hopefully Chantal Claret shows up somehow. She was on set all the time for V1, and is married to Mr. James Urine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

I have a hard time trusting anything being sold with Queen songs.
Don't forget The Sweet.

Diana's glowing lasso looks great, and puts me in mind of one of Adam Hughes' WW covers:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

For some reason I have the strange belief that the Batman in SS isn't Affleck. I'm sure
It's Bruce and all and that is the same character, but I don't think I've ever seen tea confirmation that Ben is in it. Am I wrong?

Yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that Scream 3 is an official View Askewniverse tie-in.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There must be some word filter that keeps changing Clue to other movies, it's annoying.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Haha I always forget about this origin:

Black Manta has some different origins, but here’s hoping they go with the 1993 version, where he was shanghaied and sexually assaulted on a boat, causing him to hate the sea and everything associated with it - including Aquaman

Sounds like the work of Azzarello's Amazons...universe tie-in!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yes, on the internet, through online posts.
oh no

hiddenriverninja posted:

Show us the Earth certificate!
This was a good post.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Natalie Portman is saying that as far as she is aware she's done with MCU stuff.

oh no

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kat Dennings and Skarsgard are also out of Thor 3.
Boooooooooooo

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I mostly just like her character for her attempts at saying "Mjolnir". She was pretty decent comic relief though.
She wasn't in the movies a lot, true, as the other guys said, but I was hoping they were going to give her more to do as things went on.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Her character is an idiot, they kind of already didn't have a good reason for her to be in the 2nd one.
Booooooooo

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Zendaya is already the best, most accurate depiction of Mary Jane tbh
That mannequin she's holding on to just gets creepier every loop.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Bad reviews aside, didn't the Warcraft movie do really well financially?
In China.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Did they even have a big fight scene in Batman Begins? I honestly don't remember one happening.
They had their ice practice duel and then some punches were thrown in the monorail that's HEADED RIGHT FOR WAYNE TOWER OH GEEZ IF IT GETS TO WAYNE TOWER WATCH OUT OH MAN THE PRESSURE GUAGES THAT'S NOT GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Super Dan posted:

Even then, they all have super strength, so it becomes more about Batman outsmarting them. Batman generally doesn't fight normal dudes who are just good at martial arts.
There's always Lady Shiva.

• Locked thread