Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Little Mac posted:

The Future

Ant-Man and The Wasp
Aquaman
Avengers: Infinity War, Pt. 1 Avengers: The Third One Thanos: The Hand of Fate
Black Panther
The Flash
Animated Spider-Man Film

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

King Burgundy posted:

I'd love some clarity on this. Our group discussed this last night and none of us remember Cap knowing this previously, but it certainly seemed like he was admitting to knowing it during the film.

Remember that amazing scene in The Winter Soldier where Toby Jones is all "hahahahahaha, I live on on 20 thousand feet of magnetic computer tape, herr Kapitan!"? That's when.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You don't have to look to The Winter Soldier to understand why Steve thinks the UN's proposition is a crock, just look at the Winter Soldier - a dude whose will, judgement and independence were ignored and taken out of the equation entirely. The Accords are but a milder version of the kind of poo poo that was inflicted on Bucky by Hydra. Screw that.

Plus, y'know, bros before po-pos, yo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Toxxupation posted:

Someone throw a billion dollars at Jack Gleeson, urge him to get out of retirement.

Awwww, I still feel kinda bad for that guy.

Re: Batman Forever, the one thing about the Batman/Robin partnership there is that Bruce isn't looking for a partner, he does just feel genuinely bad for the kid. Once he finds out what's hidden downstairs, he wants in but Bruce rightly tells him gently caress no, put aside vengeance, get on with your life and all that. Even when nearly killed and saved by Robin, Batman still says no. The whole thing is ultimately Alfred's fault, he kits him out, tells Bruce to deal with it and accept the help so he grudgingly concedes. Compared to Tony in Civil War Val Bruce is a frickin' saint..!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Iron Man Three owns, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak if you disagree. :colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LGD posted:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a really fun movie and I'm sad that it almost certainly won't get a sequel, since stylized cold-war spy thriller/action/comedies are apparently extremely my poo poo. Cavill was a major reason I enjoyed it as much as I did, so I too am willing to attribute any perceived deficiencies in his Superman to outside circumstances rather than any limitations on his part.

And actually now that I think about it I realize I'd be more hyped for the purely theoretical sequel to that movie than any of DC's currently announced future lineup, which makes me feel weird.

The other thing about U.N.C.L.E is that once the (excellently done) opening segment behind the dread miserable Iron Curtain is over, it's of the most beautiful looking films of the decade. I just wanna hop in a time machine and head straight for 60s Italy after watching it, it's one of those films that really nails the 'every frame a picture' thing. Christ, that scene where the evil genius lady just drapes herself on the sofa looking down at Cavill... :swoon:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if we're going to see Karl Urban standing alone at Gjallerbru.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally bit the bullet and watched Nighthawk v Hyperion: Yawn of Boredom - Ultimate 'Oh God Is This poo poo Ever Going To End' Edition.

Jinkies, if that's the 'good' cut I dread to think what the original release was like, what a load of rubbish. It didn't even look that good (compared to its predecessor), and the score was largely awful too, what the Christ? Still, I rather liked Amy Adams, Jeremy Irons, and Jesse Eisenberg (though gently caress Lex for blowing up Mercy, booooooo), and Wonder Woman was cool when she finally got something to punch. Plus Bruce had a couple of really classy suits, I guess.

But that's about it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

Dammit. Still going to see it on Friday, but man I was hoping this was finally the one they got right.

Most damning quote I've seen so far?

"If you can believe it, Suicide Squad is even worse than Fantastic Four"

Yiiiiiiiiikes.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hahaha, holy poo poo, another one:

"Worse than Green Lantern, worse than Fantastic Four."

Surely not. SURELY. I refuse to believe it could really be that bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The most worrying part of this latest debacle is everyone singling out Cara Delevigne as being especially terrible, it's starting to make me nervous for Valerian... :ohdear:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

And then starting halfway through season 3, Mikey wasn't allowed to use his nunchucks anymore because the UK considers that weapon particularly offensive, so he had to use a stupid grappling hook for the rest of the series.

It was all one guy, James Ferman. He was head of the board of film classification for years and he had a mad worry on/hate on for nunchucks. Every martial arts film with them had said scenes cut, any imported films or shows would be refused otherwise. Hell, he even did his damndest to get them out of videogames in a few cases. He was also a massive dick about passing horror films like The Exorcist and The Evil Dead.

Then, one blessed day at the end of the century, he retired, his replacement thankfully didn't give a poo poo, Soul Calibur got passed uncut, Enter The Dragon was re-released complete and everything's been fine ever since. Mikey can swing 'em with impunity as far as I'm aware.

The best part is, the miserable old bastard was actually American.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

rantmo posted:

Patsy Walker is an iconic Marvel redhead clad in garish yellow and blue not a blonde radio host named Trish and not only did the world keep spinning properly but Jessica Jones was loving great. It turns out that everything is negotiable if the finished product is quality.

Patsy, Matt, Iris, Wally, Jimmy, Flash, Mary Jane...when will this cruel, unkind war on gingers end, it seems it rarely happens to blonds and brunettes in comparison.

Truly, this is a job for the Red-Headed League, to rise up and strike a just and righteous blow against this terrible oppression.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Someone suggested that she should spend the whole film as dowdy, dress down and kinda boringly normal Ultimate-style MJ then, right at the end, Peter goes to pick her up for their prom and boom, in true Clark Kent fashion she is revealed as mega glam, internationally renowned teenage supermodel Mary-Jane Watson and busts out *the* line. That could be a fun note to end it on.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's one of those rather underrated pulpy ones. Like, nothing earthshattering hitting heights never before seen, just a fun and rather stylish looking movie. See also The Rocketeer or The Shadow.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for that 20s-40s aesthetic.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Big Red Cheese is the only acceptable moniker for that guy. :colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

JT Smiley posted:

What a missed opportunity on all counts. Tobey's Peter was just a constantly mopey sad sack that I could never get into him in the role. Add to the fact that he and Dunst had negative charisma together.

Also the guy is the worlds ugliest crier.

Needs a cry-off with Claire Danes to settle this for sure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Stephen Merchant is playing Caliban? How utterly bizarre.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I spoke to soon, it's not even the oddest thing regarding him I've read today...

..Stephen Merchant is replacing Richard O'Brien in The Crystal Maze?

Man, I've always wanted to go on that show. Only I'd be a jerk and turn it into a last man standing/worst run ever thing, getting my teammates locked in at every opportunity and end up with 5 seconds in the Dome, tops.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

Cake Girl is the best part of the Raimi flicks.

o/\o

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Mark Addy's come a long way from shaking it all about in The Full Monty.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm too hyped from the T2 trailer to even consider watching another trailer today, gonna save Wondy for tomorrow.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They all need to be 10 episodes, max. The padding on Cage especially was so bad I just didn't even bother watching the last 3 episodes until this weekend (Diamondback did get better, to be fair to him, I quite liked him by the end).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

purple death ray posted:

Fuckin justice league all looks like gamer laptops

:golfclap:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Arist posted:

The World's End is legitimately my favorite movie, um, ever, and you guys are really underselling it.

It's loving genius, his best film by far. Not the easiest to embrace exactly, no but certainly the most poignant and satisfying. And impeccably constructed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

My friend who was a huge Bond fan described Craig and being a more "thuggish" Bond.

I still need to see The Man from Uncle, my parents loved it but they loved the original show.

After the first 20 minutes, it's basically The Italian Tourist Board Presents: Fun Retro Spy Stuff.

Not even knocking it, it just looks insanely gorgeous and makes you want to drop everything and go to Italy, almost evey frame is beautiful. Even a scene where Cavill is knocked out and the villain gazes down at him looks like art. I still can't believe Guy Ritchie directed it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BvS managed to not have a good Batman theme either. I guess Zimmer used it all up for the Nolan films.

It wasn't actually Zimmer that time, he did all the Superman stuff while Junkie XL handled Batman.

purple death ray posted:

Nolan's Batman is the only cinematic Batman with an explicit no-kill code and he still kills a bunch of people

He does but (Ra's excepted) the films are by and large putting him in horrible, challenging/compromising situations where there really isn't any other choice/course of option. So a beaten, gutshot and exhausted guy throwing himself at Harvey to save a child from getting shot in the head, or shooting the gently caress out of an HGV with a nuke less than five minutes away from wiping out millions of people.

YMMV but I think that's quite a lot different from just torching rando firebreather clowns or shoving a bomb down a bruiser's pants, or squishing dudes with his car and going hell for leather with rockets and machine guns on Lex's dudes in last year's trashpile. It's the difference between not wanting to kill if possible, and just not giving a poo poo either way in situations where it's not even warranted.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Tumbler owns, love me those big chunky tires and general OTT stealth tank feel. The '89 is okay but not really fit for any purpose except looking nice parked.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

haitfais posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks this is good news.

Nah, I'm with you, I've found all of his English language genre stuff to be disappointing at best, outright garbage in most cases. Very nice chap, though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A film widely thought of as bad gets awards for being a bad film...and this is some kind of surprise? Like the reviews were scathing, the word of mouth terrible, it cost a small fortune, underperformed, is overlong and generally considered something of a laughing stock, of course it's gonna get Razzies.

This site is genuinely, the honest to god only place I've seen any number of people try to defend it, and given SA is crawling with contrarian, wittier-than-thou assholes who'll Devil's Advocate any chance they get, it's hard to take any discussion of it as remotely sincere.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ooh I like her, I wonder if they'll paint her white though.

Given her look is far and away the most memorable thing about the character, you would presume so. Why bother otherwise.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

sublyme posted:

Reading some speculation that this new movie Life is actually a backdoor setup for the Venom movie. The speculation is fun to consider, especially since they reused a crowd shot from Spider-Man 3 of people looking up at the sky, but ultimately I doubt it.

Awwww, I saw the trailer and was really hoping it was a secret Thing flick.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Popeahuntis posted:

I'm calling it as Stallone as the beyonder.
Reason for him being Stallone will be people only perceive him how they want to and quill is fixated with the 80s.
Make it happen

Gonna be so disappointed now when the film comes out and I don't get to see Sly in the shirtless white disco suit and a perm dialled up to 11.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Better put CD on suicide watch.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Stolen from reddit, yessss:

Just another beautiful thing in an already beautiful trailer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'll always have a soft spot for it for the way it builds up Taye Diggs as a rival to Bale's character throughout the pic until it all boils to a head and *that* face off occurs.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nick Nolte's performance in Hulk was a delight.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Is the first MI's plot actually as batshit incomprehensible as I remember or was I just too young to follow it back then? I remember loving the movie despite having no idea what was going on and having heated discussions with my dad about what actually happened besides cool stunts.

It was pretty straightforward. The CIA have the team do a fake retrieval mission because they want to smoke out a mole they believe is in the IMF. Everyone except Tom Cruise is killed so they assume he must be the mole so he has to go on the run. Tom spends the rest of the film trying to expose the actual mole by forming a team of disavowed agents and stealing secrets from Langley to barter with an arms dealer who knows the identity of the mole. That's basically it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Rejoice, poppets, the writers strike is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I couldn't be bothered to see Doc Strange or Logan, and found the first GotG to be largely a bunch of annoying jerks shouting over each other so skipping the sequel. And even with Wan at the helm, Aquaman is up there with the Inhumans on the list of comic poo poo I will never give a single, solitary toss about. Still, I am rather looking forward to Wonder Woman so it must be doing something right, despite being the latest in a so-far-bad series of films.

• Locked thread