Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CzarChasm posted:

Fine, no one who matters cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, a bunch of you still care about Rogue and Deadpool etc. so don't go pretending you're above the 90s.
Deadpool is good though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I also like the first Thor more than most. Portman plays a superhero love interest not like she’s falling in love, just that she wants to gently caress the sexy man that fell out of space. It’s a bit at odds with the writing but it’s a fun choice. She’s much worse in The Dark World, but so is pretty much everything.
You can really tell that she didn't want to be there for The Dark World but was contractually obligated to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Everyone was having the time of their lives in Ragnarok and it shows
Benedict Cumberbatch is better in his 5 mins of screen time in Ragnarok than all of Doctor Strange

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Even if GotG were somehow the center of the next phase, they're going to get pretty far on sequels for BP, Spider-Man, and Dr. Strange to a lesser extent. Something tells me they have some idea of what to do.
The supposed films coming out post-Avengers 4 are-

-Spiderman Far from Home (confirmed)
-Black Panther 2
-Black Widow
-Dr Strange 2
-Eternals

There are almost certainly more in production but Marvel Studios is deliberately keeping a lid on that until next year’s Comic Con so i would not start freaking out yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There have also been rumors of a Nova movie for awhile, but nothing concrete.

I don't expect much to come out until after Avengers 4.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Well, the Fox deal happened a lot faster than anyone figured, I believe. Right at the start of 2019 they'll have all the rights, so I figure this is gonna cause a bit of reshuffling.
Maybe, but Feige in his last interview acted like they still don’t expect to incorporate the Fox Marvel stuff for awhile

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

RIP The Dark Universe :(
Lasted for one whole movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Two movies and one reboot. Dracula Untold was going to be incorporated somehow.
That thing was made years before they even came up with the Dark Universe poo poo, they were lying

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Sweet mercies.
All I know about her is that she's an enormous hippie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Solo will not affect episode 9.

Book it.

AdmiralViscen posted:

It sure did affect Obi Wan and Boba Fett though
Yeah this is the only thing it affected. As far as I know there is still going to be a trilogy being run by Rian Johnson after they finish the current one in a year. So the first film probably comes out holiday 2021 unless there is a delay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One minor character who has appeared in previous MCU films has confirmed he is returning in Avengers 4, but I'm going to spoil what the actor said below just to be safe if anyone is trying to avoid any Avengers 4 spoilers at all.

MINOR AVENGERS 4 SPOILERS BELOW

Frank Grillo, who played Crossbones/Brock Rumlow in Winter Soldier and Civil War, said in an interview that he makes an appearance in a flashback sequence which is I think the first official confirmation that there are flashback/time travel elements in the film.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/26/avengers-4-will-include-flashbacks-and-at-least-one-surprise-return-character

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kevin Feige in an interview said there will be an Avengers 4 trailer before the end of the year, which is similar to window last year when the Infinity War trailer came out. He also said that they may use Namor at some point but are trying to make it work into their stories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but Disney has been announcing their plans to have some MCU characters do limited run series on their unnamed streaming service which is coming out in 2019. Reportedly they want to do a Falcon and Winter Soldier series and have hired one of the producers of Empire to make it. There are reports that Elizabeth Olsen and Tom Hiddleston are coming back as Scarlet Witch and Loki for some other possible series as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18047270/winter-soldier-falcon-tv-show-disney-streaming-service-marvel-loki-scarlet-witch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think doing Thanos as comic accurate, especially in an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, would probably not work well for a film. Infinity Gauntlet Thanos is a dude who spends the entire film whining that his crush won't date him and goes so far as to make up a creepy masturbation fantasy to try to make her jealous. He's scary certainly because he's so frigging unhinged but I think that "LADY DEAAAAATH, WHY WON'T YOU DATE ME??" would probably render him too funny to audiences no matter how you tried to sell it, and comic accurate or not, would probably end up reading like some kind of commentary on the MRA-style crowd.
Yeah I prefer the MCU version who thinks he's the good guy and the heroes are just getting in the way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I wonder what kind of expectations there are for "The same movie you saw months ago, but less of it."
I don’t think they are advertising that part though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

The ridiculous vulgarity of the series is done well and is a big part of its success, but this framing device is also pretty ingenious. I've never seen an idea likec this attempted before? It seems very postmodern for a comic book movie.
Hopefully they kept the pegging in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently part of the Westworld set burned down as well in this fire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Paramount Ranch wasn't just Westworld. It's been in like 500 movies and television shows, and had been used all the way back as far as Gunsmoke. We literally lost a piece of film and television history from this fire.
Right, it’s a long used set which sucks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lee did bad stuff but also did important things for the medium of comics that are not in dispute. He’s still absolutely a legend.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chili without beans is just greasy meat soup, so in this case Stan was absolutely correct

don’t @ me
You’re correct

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t recall any allegations coming up in the book about Marvel by Sean Howe who was pretty thorough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

We completely missed that two weeks ago today was the original release date for the Inhumans movie.

Haha, the Inhumans.
I try to forget about anything related to the Inhumans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder what the fate of the Inhumans - as a concept - within the MCU will be.

I mean, the interconnectedness of the MCU doesn't actually matter so they could just ignore them and pretend they didn't happen, but there's probably someone who has a clever idea about what to do with them.
Well I think the original idea was to make them the X-Men of the MCU, but now Disney owns the actual X-Men so....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Wouldn't this apply to the Aether/Reality stone too? It was hidden for like thousands of years until Thor 2 allegedly happened.

Besides, I like the idea that Odin and/or the Ancient One could have been a problem for Thanos to the point that he didn't want to risk making a move against them. When they both died AND he found out where the Soul and Reality stones were, he couldn't pass up the perfect opportunity to strike.
Odin was probably a major threat to him and it does seem interesting that he launches his operation almost as soon as he dies. I feel like that was a missed opportunity for the beginning part of IW.

I’m also reminded that Loki hosed everyone over because he saved the Cosmic Cube from Asgard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There were a bunch of sequences in the trailers that were deliberately false to throw people off. Mainly that scene of everyone running in Wakanda and Hulk is there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Lying low as in not going for the stones until he found the Soul Stone makes sense. One guy having 5 stones would be a giant beacon for every cosmic being in the universe, while some genocidal space pirate isn’t going to attract much more attention than the Nova Corps
Also conveniently the cosmic beings who posed a threat to him like Ego, the Asgardians/Odin, and probably someone else I’m forgetting are all gone/neutered by the end of Ragnarok.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't finished the current season of Daredevil, but it's drat good and it blows that they are pulling the plug. I shouldn't be surprised since despite the very positive reaction to this season they had not announced a renewal. It does seem like Netflix has decided that the return on investment for their Marvel stuff is not worth it to them anymore, which sucks. I know Defenders was a giant flop and that probably has a good deal to do with it. Punisher Season 2 is in production but that may be the last of these shows to air, the way this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Daredevil was good

Luke Cage was bad. Fistman was bad. JJ was bad (except kilgrave)

Punisher was... OK
I had heard mixed things about Punisher but I've really enjoyed it. It feels like they put way more effort into the characters and the cinematography than the other shows. I still need to watch the remaining episodes, but I have appreciated the slow build up with Billy Russo as they reveal who he really is

• Locked thread