Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Standard issue 2 for current Marvel movies. One after the main cast and principal film-maker credits, and one right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Maisie Williams unofficially official for Wolfsbane?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

It's funny you think he'd still be in his seat instead of standing up and screaming at the screen marching to the director's house with gun in hand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know it was tracking higher that Age of Ultron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I really don't see the issue with taking your mom to go see Captain America on Mother's Day. Marvel movies are super popular with women (well, more accurately, they're popular with everyone) and it's not exactly like Mother's Day is one of those holidays of quiet reflection, you buy your mom a bouquet of flowers and call her to thank her for being born. There's not really a whole, like, ritual to it. You wish your mom well and maybe take her out to lunch, that's kinda it.

Or, in this case, take her to a movie starring that nice Chris Evans boy she's seen on Ellen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah and how 'bout that young Tony Stark. Witchcraft is what it is.

Oh yeah. It was decently done in Ant-Man with Douglas, but it's eerie with RDJ. Like they dragged him off the set of Chaplin or Ally McBeal or something.

X-O posted:

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

The correct team. And I kinda hope Stan's in the Black Panther movie now.

Nadir posted:

Civil War is definitely my favorite MCU movie.

While the Civil War comic obviously had its flaws, it did have some great moments and one of my favorites was sorta in the movie

Sharon Carter at the funeral: "...the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."" I don't know if she said it verbatim, but hearing it was cool and awesome and I like that little nod

It's not verbatim, but reframing it as a response to institutionalised sexism is a way of salvaging what comes across as a pretty stubborn and short-sighted POV. Plus the lead-in is different. "Compromise where you can.... and where you can't? Don't."

NotALizardman posted:

Same here. I loved every scene Clint and Scott were in.

The prison scene is especially good for them both. Though I've seen it twice and both times Rudd's delivery as he hands Cap the shield and when he meets Wanda crack me up.

Oh, and Clint's back and forth with Iron Man at the airport about golf.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Stop making me jealous and watch the Deadpool gag reel.
https://vimeo.com/165389267

So, Ryan Reynolds is literally irl Deadpool and every line from this reel that he or TJ Miller say could've easily made the movie, it's really impressive how quick on their feet they are.

Best parts are Carano actually punching Reynolds for the Rosie O'Donnell crack, and the International Women's Day out-take, which I actually think might be funnier than the version in the movie. Like, if the gag was him being uncomfortable at first, then getting into it? C'mon, that's way better!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, to follow your own logic... what's your answer to the prison issue? Cuz I guarantee Thunderbolt Ross wasn't going on CNN and sharing the conditions at the Raft. Is Wanda in a straitjacket until she dies of old age? That's a heck of a 'solution'. And we know for a fact the Avengers weren't given a trial and at no point is one mentioned, so we're back to 'detained without trial in supertech gulag' from the comic.

Plus you're being deliberately obtuse with Bucky going on ice at the end, considering that's clearly Bucky's decision, not even something T'Challa or Steve suggest, but Bucky himself choosing. That's different than assigning the creepy robot-man to basically be an abusive boyfriend to the teenage girl, and then going "B-but it's a GILDED cage!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Something else I liked is that it seems that they're leaning movie Hawkeye more towards comic Hawkeye at least in personality. Much more of the brash loudmouth semi-fuckup Hawkguy.

Yeah, and Renner's really fun with it, too. "THE FUTURIST EVERYONE! HE KNOWS ALL! :jerkbag:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a reason we went from Avengers 1 having RDJ front-and-centre on the poster, to AoU having him and Evans share the spot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

what would happen if vision had hit Falcon? I assume he would have gone down like Rhodes, but would anyone have gone after him? Seems weird to me, like I felt they would have just let him fall and kept tracking the quintet.

It would've killed his jets, but his wings allow him to glide. War Machine doesn't have those.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

If that beam hit Falcon in the body, wouldn't it just kill him? He's not wearing armor like War Machine. I thought that was, in part, what Tony was talking about when he asked Vision what the hell happened there. Vision was distracted by Wanda being hurt and sort of lashed out in response to Rhodes' call for help without thinking. I'd have to re-watch the scene but I specifically recall Vision whipping his head around and just firing the beam almost nonchalantly, with no thought to it. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

Rhodey explicitly says to take out Sam's engines to "turn him into a glider"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Banner would not agree with being told where to go and when, and he especially wouldn't work with Thunderbolt Ross. He would opt to retire, but they'd probably want to lock him up because he's the loving Hulk.

Which wouldn't work. Because he's the fuckin' Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

They're kind of doing that since he's going to be hanging out off Earth with Thor.

Yeah, but it's less 'gently caress off shitlord' and more "HAIL FRIEND HULK LET US DRINK ALE AND WOO WENCHES!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kinda want them to go with 'Carol Danvers, mild-mannered woman's magazine editor', mostly because that's one of the oddest, in hindsight, periods for a character that isn't Wonder Woman as a mod judoka or Sue Storm: Unethical Under-paid English Teacher.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Could just be his ring is made of vibranium and messes with metal and/or electronics.

Or it's some kind of way to turn the Panther powers 'on'. Like, no ring he's just Man In Nice Suit, with ring it's hello Prince Badass. Cap and Spidey have also both been able to block punches from the Winter Soldier.

Also, in reference to a beat some other people mentioned at the end: While "He killed my mom" is the big emotional line in that scene, all 3 characters get something. Steve has "I could do this all day" (followed by Bucky distracting Iron Man, so Buck saves him yet again after that line) and Bucky gets "Do you even remember them?" "I remember them all... :smith:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

My understanding of his power is that if he's surrounded by danger from multiple angles he'd have a hard time pinpointing things that are immediate danger. Like while lasers and explosions and things are going on around him it's harder to register a punch from behind.

Also it seems like MCU Spidey mostly deals with muggers and bank robbers so far. There's a difference between that and a dude with robot wings and a lady that can move poo poo with her mind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You know the amazing thing about Stark hitting on Aunt May and talking about how young she is? Well, 2 amazing things. 1: Marisa Tomei is more than twice Holland's age, so yes, of course she could be his aunt and 2: She's the EXACT same age as RDJ, so we have a Hollywood tentpole movie where a middle-aged dude is showing interest in a woman his own age, and not half that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

At the same time mid-30s Sharon has a 100 year old aunt.

I'm assuming she was supposed to be Sharon's great-aunt, and she just shortened it to Aunt Peggy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

The point is that's the majority of female characters in the MCU so far, they've been like Hill or Black Widow or Peggy or Sharon where their "superpower" is that they're really good at fighting people. Black Widow gets it the worst because, just like Hawkeye, the fact that she can take out five or six goons all at once makes her look less important when she's standing next to a guy who can control lightning.

Scarlet Witch has been sidelined up to this point but there needs to be more fantastic female characters of her scale. I'm tired of badass women who are basically especially gifted ninjas over loving super heroes.

A better way of looking at it is that Widow's the most independent of the Avengers, basically because all the rest can be severely disabled by removing their toys (with the exception of Cap, who's just somewhat downgraded). Remove the Iron Man or War Machine armour and you've got a pair of middle-aged dudes who are in decent shape. Take away Mjolnir and Thor's apparently just a guy (based on the first movie). Put Widow in jeans and a T-shirt and she'll still tear apart the whole gang and steal the secret plans you hid in the floorboards.

I mean, the 'popular' opinion among moviegoers is Batman's cool because he's a regular guy, not a superpowered alien, but Widow's boring because she's a regular woman not a superpowered alien? Not that that's actually anyone's opinion, given that polls indicate most people actually want a Widow movie, which wouldn't be the case if people felt she was dull.

Also: Toxx? Dude? I love ya, but claiming She-Hulk isn't related meaningfully to the Hulk? What's next? Coke Zero is a totally different soda to Diet Coke?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like Hawkdad. They hit a good balance in Civil War and AoU where he had a niche, personality-wise that is more like Clint in the comics, compared to Broody-McBroodson from Avengers 1. (Granted, in the final battle Whedon tried to give him a few one-liners in the first, but it didn't help because it was like 2 lines of dialogue in a 2 hour film)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Derivative has inherent negative connotations as a word and is colloquially used as a synonym for "unoriginal". If people want to say She-Hulk is inspired by the Hulk, reactive to the Hulk, then yeah sure I'll agree wholeheartedly.

Yes, but you defined Superman's Cousin as derivative but Hulk's Cousin isn't. You're moving the goalposts because you like one but not the other, and no-one is using it as a judgement on how good or valuable characters derived from pre-existing properties can be.

You won't find many bigger She-Hulk fans than me. And lots of people ADORE Peter David's Supergirl, but both characters absolutely owe their origins both in and out of story to their male predecessors. It sucks that it's so common, but it's the truth and digging your head into the sand doesn't change it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rantmo posted:

Also, no one is saying she's unconnected to Hulk, that's ludicrous and why no one has made that claim.

Er, no, actually, that's exactly what's been claimed.

Again, what derivative means here is the dictionary definition: Derived from. The concept of She-Hulk was derived from the Hulk, with the high concept of BUT A GIRL THIS TIME. (And read those old Stan Lee She-Hulk issues, it couldn't be more blatant). Now John Byrne and later creators moved her beyond that and found a niche that is excellent and grew the character beyond that initial template, but just because a spin-off evolves doesn't make it not a spin-off.

Frasier was derived from Cheers. That doesn't make Frasier less successful or enjoyable a sitcom, it's just a fact that the former doesn't happen without the latter.

MacheteZombie posted:

Bucky didn't power bomb her through the table when he had the chance = bad movie.

Bucky's a pro, you save the big spots for the finish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, I'd argue the growth of She-Hulk led to growth for regular Hulk too. The idea that instead of unleashing her rage, that it released her sexuality or her extroverted side or her inhibitions, or whatever interpretation smarter people than I would care to make about it allowed for the shift to thinking about well, what about Banner led to his anger being the repressed part of him that the radiation let out, and that's basically what the last 30 years of Hulk comics have largely been about.

It's also why I liked Red She-Hulk, because it extended that theme by making it clear that Betty's Hulk form was fuelled by her frustration and spite at being Bruce's damsel in distress and her father's pawn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I kept laughing to myself at work thinking about when Weseal says to Wade "you look like an avocado and another, uglier avocado hosed, and like hate loving..." because I work with a lot of avocados.

Black Panther is basically the "you don't think we think about diversity in movies?" answer from Marvel isn't it? Thing is, it will probably be a big hit, and hopefully open up more avenues for more diverse casts in the Superhero movies.

I can't wait for all the industry thinkpieces on Deadline and Variety.com that are titled poo poo like: "Did Marvel Succeed By Diversifying Their Audience?" and "Black People Have Money?! Who Knew?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New Batman movie has Batfleck die in the first 10 minutes, rest of the movie is Bat-Gordon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rasczak posted:

Simmons is hilariously yoked out and all but rock something heavier than 20s in the pic :cmon:

It ain't the weight, it's the reps, bro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Uncle Phil was The Shredder.

And War Machine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You know, the Batman/Flash scene really bothered me and I couldn't put words to it until someone said "You know, the Flash is really Peter Parker" and suddenly it made sense to me.

That whole scene felt like Batman was coming to recruit Peter Parker and reminded me of Tony showing up in Peter's house in Civil War.

To be fair, Stark didn't try and shoot Spider-Man with a repulsor glove.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I didn't get that impression. I thought it was Wayne's way of introducing himself as Batman to someone he already knows is Flash. The batarang is probably more convincing than a random stranger growling "Hey, I'm Batman."

Oh, I know Batman wouldn't throw it if he didn't KNOW Barry could dodge, but that's a level of confidence and nonchalance about possible injury that Iron Man didn't show in Civil War until AFTER the kid was on board.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How do you do the DOOM! sound effect Surtur hammering his sword makes, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a special Super-Fast Non-Sharpened Plastic Batarang.

Oh, right, Batfleck had Prep Time.

Also, the comedy button on the Strange trailer was pretty great, mostly from Ejiofor's delivery.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 24, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
James Gunn you beautiful bastard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Goddamn that trailer was excellent.

On the one hand, yes, but on the other, it couldn't be much more Mad Max: Mutant Edition if it tried.

WHOOPS posted:

wait Logan is a road movie with Wolverine and Charles? sign me the gently caress up.

Looks like baddies coming after X-23 is the thing that pulls Wolverine out of being a grumpy hermit and fight one last time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I may just be getting Mad Max because Jackman looks a LOT like current day Gibson in that thumbnail.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

You know what I meant, not a single soul went to see DP because of him.

Well, in the long run, everyone did, because he's almost certainly the one who leaked the test footage, so the movie wouldn't have been made without him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm more amazed that all of Raimi's Spider-Man films are so humourless. JK Simmons is the only performer to consistently get laughs. (Well, him and Bruce Campbell)
Spider-Man 2 especially is so maudlin and blatantly emotionally manipulative that you can basically hear Raimi and Elfman screaming "CRY drat YOU!" over the string section.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Someone needs to update that second one! :toughguy:

And the first one, actually. There's one too many living Stark kids, for one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So what the gently caress is going on with Zendaya's role? Am I on crack or did Kevin Feige not officially confirm she was playing MJ? But I keep seeing poo poo that she's actually "Michelle" again.

What? Marvel avoiding saying something that will upset racists/homophobes to protect their bottom line? I've never heard of such a thing since the last time Alonso or Breevorrt did an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget was that before or after "Christoph Waltz isn't playing Blofeld, honest!"?

• Locked thread