Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Feige has said that the actor playing Danvers will be announced in the summer of this year. Which I would guess means she might be in Thor, since Thor is set to start filming around that time.

But yeah she's probably definitely going to be around for IW: Pt. 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

I would deeply love it for "Tony Stark is dating Aunt May" to be canon.

And also for the comics to be stuck with it also. Not actually change anything, just Tony Stark dating the Cryptkeeper. He uses StarkTech(tm) to deage her 150 years at some point though for brand synergy, and then proceeds to remind Spider-Man at every single occasion that he is dating his Hot Aunt.

Wait, isn't Tony literally dating Mary Jane Watson in the comics now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rurea posted:

So this made me think a little, regarding situations that would "demand" Iron Man or Cap or whoever.

It's like what Spiderman says: now that he has the power to save people, anytime he doesn't its his fault.
But to me this is like saying: man this fresh drinking water is life-saving, all those people in Africa that died from not having any is my fault!

Or am I misinterpreting what he is saying and he actually means what Vision said early on in the film " Because I have these powers and I'm spiderman now, criminals want to challenge/fight me so its indirectly my fault that they are here to begin with?"

It's the Superman zone of influence thing

There is a "zone" that every person has where they can have a direct influence on those around them. For instance using your water analogy. It would be like if you were walking around with your plentiful amounts drinking water and ran into someone who was thirsty and didn't have water and just needed some of yours to make it and survive.

It's literally Spider-man's Origin story. He didn't stop a bad guy and Uncle Ben died because of it. So now if Peter sees something that he could do to help he won't hesitate to do it. Because if he didn't the consequences are on him.

(Superman's zone of influence is entire galaxies lol)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, let's not say dumb things. Everyone in the MCU plays second fiddle to RDJ. He's the foundation upon which this whole universe is built, the same way Spider-Man is the foundation of the MU. If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

It's why Marvel has to be loving relived that Guardians did as well as it did. Because that's like the only movie not involving RDJ to do real numbers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Squirrel Girl should be a TV show. Not a movie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

That's branding and you know it. Stop arguing in bad faith.

Yes she is a different character from Banner, that doesn't mean she's not a derivative.

Miles Morales Spider-Man is a derivative of Peter Parker, Kamala Khan Ms Marvel is a derivative of Carol Danvers , War-Machine was a derivative of Iron-man

Even if their powers are different they are considered derivatives of the previously existing one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Like I honestly can't remember the last time She-Hulk even interacted with Hulk in any capacity whatsoever. It certainly didn't happen, ever, in her most recent solo. I don't think she even mentions him in any capacity during the Soule run.

That doesn't mean anything. Her creation was Cousin of Bruce Banner, who got a blood transfusion to become She-Hulk a weaker female version of the Hulk.

Don't get me wrong, Writers have done great work with her and her stuff has been more enjoyable than like any Hulk story recently IMO but doesn't mean she's not a derivative.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno why She-Hulk being derivative is a bad thing when we have War Machine as a major recurring character, to be honest.

It's not,

Most of my favorite characters in Marvel right now are derivatives.

Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Silk(forgot her actualy name), Carol Danvers, Gwen Stacy(Spider-Gwen), Jessica Drew.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I never said they do.

My argument was never about getting movies or anything. My argument was solely based on those characters being derivatives which Toxx was trying to say wasn't true.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Ant Man didn't do well. 500m on 130m budget isn't good. It's merely okay.

Marvel has no incentive to do merely okay right now.

lol

The fact that that movie was critically pretty well received with almost every going against it. It was a crazy success. People went into that movie trying to hate it from what happened with Wright. And because of the character itself.

Plus it was loving Ant-Man, like Only Guardians is more obscure, and Guardians at least has the benefit of being so obscure that people don't dismiss it out of hand. And with Guardians the Marketing team landed everything so goddamn perfectly it's kinda scary.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rurea posted:

I don't know anything about Black Panther. Does he have any cool big-bad villains that he could be?

Namor would be loving amazing. but I dunno if they could just do that.

I like the Idea of White Wolf. T'Challa's adopted brother.

It would be rehashing Thor(a bunch), but T'Challa was just put in charge and claimed the title of King, would everyone in Wakanda back him being king? Mix in the Namor Illuminati story beats with His brother or actually hell ignore white wolf and just use Shuri. Have the constituents find out that T'Challa is hiding and harboring the dude who was responsible for T'Chaka's death. And trying to find a way to heal him.

Boom Political intrigue which always make for the best Black Panther stories.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Apparently they can, but it's a complicated mess where a Namor solo is virtually impossible (which is good since a Namor solo almost certainly wouldn't work). But yeah, Namor as BP's Big Bad would be pretty loving great.

Yep. But I was more referring too my doubt at turning MBJ into Namor. Though it would be amazing and pretty good casting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn't Zemo do it

E: I guess there wasn't conclusive proof not counting the full confession given privately, but considering the cell he was in the government sure believed it!

In most cases facts don't matter especially to a group of people that have contempt for someone or a group. Hell look at American politics for an example of that.

Not everyone knew Zemo was behind it via mind control. They do know though that Bucky was the attacker and if a faction dissenting the throne finds out he's there that could be problems.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ditto

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

That is worth it just for Sam and Bucky's reaction to it. Also Chris Evans and Emily Van Camp would make the most aryan babies ever.

It's almost like Captain America was always literally the Nazi ideal, and would fit right in with being a Hydra sleeper agent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do we think of the (first two) Sam Raimi Spider-Man films? Aside from J. K. Simmons as JJJ being the most perfect casting in any superhero movie, do they genuinely hold up or do they mostly trading on nostalgia?

I remember seeing them both in the cinema when they came out and thinking they were great, but having watched them more recently, I have more of a mixed opinion about them. For one thing, there was a lot more weird slo-mo and zoom-ins than I remembered. :v:

First one doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Raimi Spider-man 2 is still one of my favorite Super-Hero movies.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

In a lot of stuff I've read she has plain long hair out of costume, and somehow it gets all mohawked when she suits up.

Also Marvel military ranks are like Marvel female heights and weights. They're always basically impossible. Nobody under 35 would have her military rank unless they personally saved the world a bunch of times.

Eh, Air Force Rank of Captain is like O-3. Which is easily doable before like 30 much less 35.

Heathen posted:

I was kinda hoping the Eye of Agamotto would be one.

They can keep the Ms. Marvel origin without getting too comic book-y with it. Changing poo poo wholesale doesn't mean it'll be better. See: all three Fantastic Flop movies.

Maybe it's like Star Trek ranks where Kirk sat in a chair and is now a Captain. Maybe Carol took a stroll through a helicarrier and sat down somewhere important.

But yeah, I imagine, Eye of Aggamoto is the Time gem. And the Soul Gem is going to be what Adam Warlock has in Guardians 2.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 2, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She's a Major

Edit: Ok yeah you fixed that(Should probably check after walking away from posts)

Colonel actually, but Major only requires like 10 years of Service and she started at like 18.

Also who cares She's the bestest pilot ever in the world(gently caress you Hal), and went to NASA and fought aliens and poo poo and came back with super powers. It's okay to fudge the years a bit.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 2, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Marvel/Disney could have overridden any of Ikes recommendations if they really wanted to. They didn't, that's the real problem. Shifting Ike off movies hasn't fixed the sexism issue, as far as I can tell.

Happy to be proven wrong since its such a huge problem in all media formats.

What Sexism issue?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's implied to just be a proximity thing, but apparently not enough to affect Hope and Hank when Scott does it in the house.

Hope never comes in contact with the raw particles. I assume the suits protect the users from the effects.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Soonmot posted:

I get that I'm the weird one for hating Sam Nova, but gently caress if you think even Marvel will be able to make a movie centered around a tween not annoying and terrible af

They could, just make him the same age as Spider-Man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It's really unclear what any of the gems even are. I woulda thought loki's mind control staff would have the mind gem in it, but no, it appears to be time or reality.

Loki's mind staff did have the mind gem in it.

It's currently embedded in Vision's forehead.

Guardians Orb thingy -> Power Gem
Aether from Thor 2 -> Reality
Tesseract -> Space
Loki's Staff/Vision's head -> Mind.

Adam Warlock is always tied to the Soul stone, so if he actually shows up in Guardians 2 he probably has it.(From what I remember all Gunn has said is that Thanos won't really be in Guardians 2, not that any Gems won't show up)

Time is probably in Strange as previously stated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Argue posted:

I know the breakdown in the post above is the official word but it always made more sense to me to have Aether be Power, Orb be Soul (since it kills living things while leaving nonliving things intact), and the Eye be Reality. Nothing about the Aether really screamed "Reality Gem" to me while on the other hand you'd think the Eye of Agamotto would be the prime candidate for it.

Wasn't Malekith, like regrowing limbs, and ripping open holes in reality and poo poo during that final fight.

It's been a long time since I've seen Thor 2 so I very well could be mistaken.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 11, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... That's weird. does that mean after Infinity War? Because that would be a hell of an absence.

Flying to an academic conference, she got shot down over the Sea of Japan, Spun in, there were no survivors...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So this opens up Jaimie Alexander for more screentime, right?

If by Jaimie Alexander you mean Tessa Thompson then yes :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Who doesn't want more Sif? Sif is great. Just make the only characters in the next Thor movie Sif and maybe Thor. :swoon:

Sif is cool and all. But let me tell you about Valkyrie....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

X-O posted:

Sorry, that's not a gift I can give. But here's a better gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtnJwQPSWg

wait what. Did that actually happen in a soap opera?

Are they just now moving past passive advertising and going straight into "GO SEE DOCTOR STRANGE"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I dunno I remember IM3's theme but yeah that's about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7W6p5QrO8

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gamora's pose also does not belong in tha poster at all. Everyone else is all like "Nah man like you can take the picture if you want but I'm too cool to look at the camera and am just going to relax". Gamora's is waaaaaay too tryhard.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I don't think Disney even cares about the F4 so much as the F4's Rogue's gallery.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I dunno, man, I kinda liked that scene where Joker looked at a painting of Jesus Christ being crucified and whispering "Not even I can joke about your sacrifice." before praying and gearing up to the final confrontation against the evil BatWoman.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Man if this doesn't turn out to be great then they've done a great job of tricking me into thinking so.

I remember loving Suicide Squad's trailer.

But other trailers after the initial ones tempered my expectations. Also the reports of how the Trailer wildly misrepresented the movie and there had to be reshoots to make it more like the trailer lol.

But yeah. WW looks real good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gavok posted:

Oh no! Olmos :ohdear:

But for real, on my list of greatest MCU moments, that scene in the diner of Skye revealing she knows Ward's a traitor by berating him and showing her absolute disgust is high up there.

It was the look on his face when she called him a Nazi.

It was the most priceless thing in the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm blind

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They really should have had him have his mask on(gently caress it mask off) his head partially and at an angle if they really wanted to make that reference.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Probably more excited for this than any of Marvel's other near-future movies tbh.

Its this and Capt. Marvel for me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Race Realists posted:

1. Luke gets Triggered by being called the N-word

2. the main villain has a vaguely afrocentric worldview AND says the N-word because being a druglord wasnt enough i guess! That monster :bahgawd:

3. the backstory scene with the psychiatrist chick giving the inmates poo poo for not "taking responsibility" felt like it was written by someone who may've had an All Lives Matter avatar at some point in his life

this reeks of "Im not racist but"

like the whole thing is unintentionally hilarious to me and i was honestly thinking of Black Dynamite the whole time

Luke being mad at the N word makes sense. I know a fair amount of old heads who don't like being called that word or it being used regardless of the intention. Especially someone like Luke who grew up in a southern church.

All Black people aren't cool with the N word.

That lady is an accurate representation of a psychiatrist in jail. I don't think her world view is supposed to be sympathized or agreed with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Black Panther EW cover page and shots.

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885127969257082885

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885124584873222144

^ Whole bunch of shots in that thread.

https://twitter.com/Lupita_Nyongo/status/885118558707081216

https://twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/885127425788694530

Black Panther image drop.

Looks real loving good.(besides the photoshops on the group picture of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

• Locked thread