Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has the Old Man Logan stuff actually been confirmed, I thought that was just a rumor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Hell, I watched both Thor movies and I STILL think Thor's vision cave was confusing and dumb.

It's supposed to be the well of Mimir from norse mythology, so it's a cool little nod in that sense but I have no idea why they never explain what it is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I saw X-Men Apocalypse.

It's a fun movie, but I can see how it got a kind of tepid response. Seeing it this close to Civil War highlights how much Marvel has evolved as a studio and how much less "human" the X-Men movies feel by comparison. It's suuuuper comicbooky and everyone is hammy as gently caress and it's cool, but also nothing you haven't seen before. Millions of people die and no one seems that bothered by it, which I guess can be refreshing after several movies that are all about how much loving damage is caused by superheroes.

It's very much DoFP part 2 only without the time travel poo poo and even though there are a lot of 90s references it doesn't feel like a period piece as much as the two previous films do. Apocalypse takes the center stage and the humans don't really figure into anything at all. The cast does a good job, Oscar Isaac is real fun, Fassbender is at the most theatrical I've ever seen him, as many people suspected Jennifer Lawrence is kind of the weak link since it doesn't seem like she wants to be there, but luckily Sophie Turner makes up for that, she's really great and I can't wait to see the focus shift more in her direction.

So yeah, solid movie, nothing revolutionary, but it's big and silly and spectacular. The Quicksilver scenes are again extremely funny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

How's psylocke and arkangel?

They're just muscle, they each have like 10 lines between them, but they look good and get some neat action scenes. They have more personality than, say, Sabertooth in the first movie at least.

Horseman recruitment scene: When Apocalypse recruits Angel and gives him his metal wings he's listening to Judas Priest and his wings look like they're straight from the Painkiller cover.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 18, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also, really silly gag in the middle of the film that I can't tell if I liked or not: The kids go see Return of the Jedi in a theatre and after leaving they're like "Man Empire was so much better" - "Nah the first movie started it all" - "Well at least we can agree that the third movie is always the worst! WINK WINK"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nadir posted:

100% agree. I was hoping for non-stop 80s stuff but it seems like only Jubilee plays the part

There is a ton of 80s stuff in the film, but it's mostly diegetic. There's no real reason why it has to be set in the 80s other than to keep the character ages consistent which is a whole fuckin thing, so it's just a kind of weird decision. It leads to a couple of good gags and some really cool music cues though.

The loving Dazzler easter egg that they teased a few weeks back is just not in the film though, unless I completely missed it :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like JMS' Thor a lot even if it has no proper ending to it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding they actually get real superhero costumes at the end of the film or something?

Kind of? They're still just leather suits but Mystique's has the comic colour scheme on it.

The costuming is by far the worst aspect of this film and I do like it overall.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not at all familiar with Brie Larson outside of Scott Pilgrim, where she's completely unremarkable IMO. Not that I don't believe she's a good actress, but is she like... too good for a superhero film? Just looking her up she doesn't seem hammy enough. I'm just worried it's going to be another Jennifer Lawrence-type role.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

All the amazing actors in comic book films these days and someone you've never even really seen act and that's where you start to wonder if they're too good for a movie? That's really weird.

That's why I'm asking

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 2, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

I think recent history tells us that with people like Russell Crowe, Michael Douglas, Robert Redford, Colin Firth, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, and Jeff Bridges (just to name a few) that wondering if Brie Larson is the one that just might be too good of an actor for comic book movies might be overstating it just a smidge.

I don't think all of those performances are particularly noteworthy either. It's not an indictment on the quality of the actor, anyone can be loving miscast. Either way I'm not making a judgment call right here and now, it's just not something I expected.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what you said in that first post.

I didn't make a judgment call, I asked a question based on my initial reaction, like I said I haven't seen any of her dramatic roles. gently caress just forget it, I don't give a poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Raserys posted:

God, the Inhumans loving suck

why

i get the feeling that whenever anyone says this it's just because #notmyxmen and not actually related to the actual merits of the inhumans, the current books of which are extremely loving better than any x-men books btw

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I went out with a buddy last night I hadn't seen in years. We met in University and were both kinda proto-geeks of the first degree back then. He's always been super wrapped up in popular culture, comics and the like especially, whereas I had always been more about sci fi/fantasy novels, and kind of use BSS as a handy hive mind crutch when referring to comic topics. What struck me about talking with him last night, and really the whole time I've known him, is that he's always been incessantly optimistic about all this comic book stuff, and is always willing to give it a fair shake based entirely on its merits. He's one of those rare people who actually enjoys what he enjoys without consideration, and doesn't have a mean or cynical bone in his body.

He started talking about how he's looking forward to Suicide Squad, and I was about to start ribbing him about it, when I realized there wasn't really an argument I could make that wasn't rooted in some kind of hard-bitten cynicism or assumption without the presence of facts. I realized that the vast majority of people commenting on, and ostensibly "enjoying" these movies are doing so because they enjoy disliking something bad more than they enjoy liking something good, or winning points for their "team". Yeah, it's probably going to suck, for a number of reasons. But why get bent out of shape about it? Are you less of a person because you were looking forward to it? Or are you just notching up nerd cred with other people who might feel the same way?

It was a nice moment, and I actually have a lot of respect for the guy for being so deep into this nerd culture (and he is super deep) without being tainted by the opinions and assumptions of others, and being simply willing to give stuff a fair shake regardless. I've never been passionate about these movies, but have admittedly ridden the wave of ridicule just because things have looked ridiculous from afar. This isn't a commentary on anything specifically mentioned in this thread, but it was you guys I was thinking of when I made this realization. They're movies. Hating them beforehand isn't going to make them any more or less good.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. We shouldn't form opinions and impressions based on media and trailers that are designed to do that exact thing? It's okay if they're positive?? I think Suicide Squad looks absolutely wretched, why is that a problem? There are plenty of films I enjoy and am happy about and future ones that I think look awesome, I don't also need to look forward to this one also, it's not something I enjoy, I frankly don't give a poo poo, I'm just probably not going to watch it.

gently caress off with telling people how they should feel about something, honestly. This is the worst screed I've read in a while.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 25, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

why did it suddenly become cynical to go these trailers look fuckin bad i'm not gonna watch this

edit: weirdly i have no problem with someone looking forward to it

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 25, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It sure would be nice if we all lived in a magical land where everyone was happy with everything all the time, but sadly we're just on planet earth where people are making dumb comic book movies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Strange was very cool and good.

Outside of a few minor references entirely self-contained. A bit goofy and full of exposition, but it didn't crawl up its own rear end too much. They really went all out in terms of crazy visuals and wild powers, there are a lot of very creative scenes in there.

Tilda Swinton owns. Tilda Swintowns.

There was a kind of wuxia quality to it, almost some Stephen Chow in there too. Didn't feel like a superhero movie so much as a supernatural adventure film. Good stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Logan is pretty amazing and, I feel, represents a shift in comic book movies that will make it hard to go back to the old style. The way it uses actual X-Men history to base its themes and atmosphere is something that's only really comparable to the way comics reference the silver age or something, or maybe the way Snyder's Watchmen tried to reference 90s Batman (and didn't do much with it).

It's really fascinating and although the movie is by far the best X-Men themed film, it also could never have existed and been as good as it is without all the previous ones. Patrick Stewart is amazing, and so is Jackman, and so is Laura. I think it's also the most emotional superhero movie ever in large part due to the history that it has to deal with and work through.

So yes, recommend.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Bro there was a Deadpool 2 teaser FULL of goofy easter eggs

We didn't get that here evidently, that fuckin sucks

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guardians 2 was great. I know I just came out of the theater, but I definitely think it's better than the first movie. It's not nearly as messy in terms of plotting, and the script is a lot more solid - it's moved past that sometimes awkward introductory phase and they get to be more creative with the characters, and their relationships are stronger and more believable because of it. Yondu is especially awesome.

It's got better pacing, the villain is great, it looks MUCH better, and it's also funnier. I was totally worried about baby Groot or the whole movie just being a flanderization of the first one, but nah they did much more with the characters and built out the universe in ways that felt very Kirby-esque.

The last like 15 minutes of the movie were maybe a bit much though. At the climax it becomes a much more conventional movie and is not nearly as exciting, and the end is also bit too sentimental.

I honestly went in with pretty low expectations, but it was way better than I thought it could be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

Some else "sacrifices" themselves and "dies", like Groot in the first one, don't they?

Yes / no / not in the same way

EmptyVessel posted:

Hoping to see GotG2 in the next week and have 3D and 2D options.
Is the 3D use good enough to go for or should I default to 2D (cos I usually find the colour and contrast look better)?

It did make the environments pop out really nicely so maybe? I always tend to argue that if you are at the point where you have to ask this question then it's never really worth it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

Anything worth sharing about post-credit scenes that tie in more with future movies?

Well, ok, I will just list em out

POST CREDITS SPOILERS

1) They tease the "old" Guardians team, featuring Sly Stallone as Darkhawk, along with a bunch of other characters, I'm not super familiar with them but they are the ones played by Miley Cyrus, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, and Michael Rosenbaum.

2) The secondary villain of the movie, being the high priestess of a race of golden-skinned people who are genetically engineered, says her new creation will finally put an end to the Guardians - she calls it Adam and it pans to a big cocoon. So yeah, between that and what they do with Nebula, they're building up stakes that correspond pretty closely with Infinity Gauntlet.

3) He shows up earlier in the movie, but the final post-credits scene is Stan Lee meeting up with (presumably) Uatu and two other Watchers and they just leave him alone in space.

E: In relation to the below quote, he's still a confused old man who seems to have no idea how to get home so I dunno how he's supposed to be Uatu.

X-O posted:

Also Stan Lee is The Watcher.

That's not what I took from that scene, but I guess it's possible?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

Either way, what's most interesting about it is that it's almost certain that at one point Fox owned the rights to The Watcher and that whole race. Watcher is almost exclusively tied into the Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer cosmic side which Fox did have all the rights to a while back. So I wonder how Marvel got control of it.

That's true, I'll be curious to see what they do with it, if anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, it's just out in Denmark and most of Europe I'm pretty sure

E: I forgot to mention just how loving good Batista of all people is in this movie, like holy poo poo

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 27, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Any rumors of the Black Order (Thanos's lackeys in Infinity) being in Infinity War? I imagine they have a good chance of showing up because it would be ridiculous if Thanos went to Earth by himself.

There were some kinda mocap shots that leaked featuring what looks like Corvus Glaive's weapon and Proxima Midnight's spear/trident. Which are probably the two you want.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

After watching GLOW, I nominate Marc Maron as the new J. Jonah Jameson.

He should actually play young Stan Lee.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Homecoming is maybe the first superhero film, to my memory, where the villain gradually figures out the hero's identity just by being smart and observant. That was oddly refreshing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Back to the jar of piss thing, it really seems like something the Joker would do moreso than Lex Luther.

Kind of disappointed that JL is only getting so-so reviews. I really think DC/WB should consider getting rid of Snyder at this point, none of his films have actually been good. Despite that, I'll probably try to catch it next week, or next weekend.

Yeah, Snyder needs to go back to making smaller arthouse indie films like Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DP 2 was a lot of fun, quite a bit better than the first one in my opinion. The last act goes on a bit too long, but otherwise I don't have many complaints. Well, I do have one - Negasonic is barely in the movie. But Domino takes her spot as the most prominent secondary character (outside of Cable) and she's fantastic. They should do a solo movie about her.

I do like how it isn't like really heavy on plot and more focused on fun scenes. They have a goal they need to fulfill but instead of there being a central villain trying to take up the spotlight it's mostly about character dynamics, and the core philosophy of the movie is actually pretty sweet for the type of film it is.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 16, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Decent trailer but man Brie Larson could not look more bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have, but I forgot she was even in it. Probably for a reason.

• Locked thread