Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Civil War was a lot of fun, but my favourite part might have actually been Craig Pelton, Dean of MIT. I laughed really hard when he popped up and a few people around me looked at me like I was an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Well, this is at least interesting. I do have to wonder if Booster Gold's too deep a cut, especially when thinking about the DCU characters who don't have announced movies, who are currently relevant in pop culture or just popular in general - Supergirl, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, basically every single one of Batman's sidekicks or colleagues at this point, Green Arrow, or the Teen Titans. On the other hand, this'll probably premiere after 10 other movies, including basically all the really heavy JL hitters (and Cyborg).

It's at least interesting and exciting, in much the same way Suicide Squad inherently is to me. It's DC taking the more obscure parts of their legacy - where a lot of hidden gems are stored - and making movies out of them and that's pretty neat.

Cast Joel McHale and I'm there on opening night.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Doom is pretty bad right now with the Mary Suing.

Completely forgot about that term for a minute. Tried to think of a Marvel character named Mary who could have a lawsuit against Doom.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

I don't even mind the talk to fish line (especially if it pays off with him dropping a whale on someone later in the film like in that one comic), it's the little douchey head tilt at the end that irks me.

Barry looks like a lot of fun in this and that was in short supply last time around so I'm in. Wonder Woman trailer looks solid, battlefield shots look really really cool. Swatting away mortar shots :black101:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know I'm really amused that people think Jared Leto's behavior on the Suicide Squad set is "method acting" when him acting like an asshat seems to be his default state of being.

"Jared Leto posted:

“I don’t use the term ‘method’. I think it’s kind of a polluted word. What I do is just try to focus and commit as much as possible so that I can do the story, the film, the character and everybody else justice. That’s it.”

"I'm not a method actor, I'm just a dipshit."

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Joel McHale for Booster Gold and go full on fun stunt casting and get Danny Pudi for Skeets.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

He's an angry white guy who kills the poo poo out of people because that's real and he's so angry and morally conflicted all the time and his backstory is crazy tragic but he's just so god-damned good at killing people he can take out the Justice League by himself.

JLA: Tower of Babel, a Zack Snyder film

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched Dick Tracy recently and loved it. I also love Darkman, but mostly for the ridiculous way he's thrown out of the lab explosion.

On a similar note, I mostly love Dick Tracy for how ridiculous the two shots at about 2:37 here are - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4936ZOiOZw

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

The bit where Tracy knocks out like ten guys with one punch? Hahaha, that's awesome. I've definitely got to watch this now.

I'm not sure which I love more, ten guys with one punch or the guy back-flipping off the uppercut right after it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I find that weird, because I don't think there's a glut of them right now. At least, not any more than you'd expect out of a super hero franchises. None of the Caps or Iron Mans were.

I think the idea is that after Infinity War they'll probably have gone as far in that direction as they can.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Donglover spotted.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

He's a very good actor, so I'm sure he could play the heck out of any number of Marvel characters, but I keep picturing Dinklage as Uatu showing up at the end of the first Avengers Infinity movie or post-credits after everybody died.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Turner looks like a drag queen.

Her facial structure is very similar to Boy George but I wouldn't say she looks like a drag queen in general.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Is this where we talk about the Lego Batman Movie? Cause it was loving rad. I laughed my rear end off.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

If anyone has seen Logan yet, is it worth springing for IMAX? My guess would be no but wanted some opinions.

Reposting this question since I'm taking a trip this weekend near a city with an IMAX. Goddamn, I wish we had one here.

Also, how extreme is the violence? I mentioned this back before Deadpool came out, but my wife is pretty squeamish about ultra-violence and torture. She really wants to see this cause she loves Stewart, Jackman and Merchant, but she's worried it'll be too much for her. She ended up enjoying Deadpool, but she did have her head buried in my chest when they had him in the torture machine thing and when he cut his hand off to escape Colossus.

EDIT - I misunderstood that, she was fine with the hand thing.

VVVV Awesome, thanks! I think she'll be fine.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I thought people around that time were thinking that 89 was going to be stupid camp like 66. Or am I thinking of comic shop nerds of the time?

To add to what other people have said, initially when they announced the movie and Keaton's casting there was a fair bit of bitching and complaining about it from comic book types, thinking they had cast the guy from Mr. Mom to make another campy silly Batman.

http://imgur.com/6uEg9JD

So they rushed out the first trailer for it and as soon as anybody (nerd or normal person alike) saw what the movie actually looked like they went nuts for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyozzozRsCk

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 16, 2017

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Come on, three has a few good gags but is otherwise complete garbage.

That's why for the third one you just watch the good bits and then fill up the rest of the time with Police Squad episodes. :science:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

There's a Thor trailer I think is new. They're taking down English but this Russian(?) one is still up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLV3WWF_sig

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, you're probably right, but I almost want you to be wrong. Like the whole movie, things keep happening that NEARLY hit his eye, but Carol stops them or something happens at the last second to save him. And then in the stinger, it's a flash-forward and he has the patch when she comes back to Earth.

So, this basically - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WHiKshporM&t=80s

I can dig it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Madkal posted:

I liked the V movie and then I read the comic which made me retroactively dislike the movie. It seemed the movie completely missed the point of the comic and tried to make V an outright superhero.

Same for me with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, except I didn't really like the movie in the first place so I ended up really hating it after I read the comic.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

No. Coco is going to come out and take a lot of audiences. Thor still has legs, and then in less than a month Star Wars is coming to dominate the box office. Justice League doesn't have the positive word of mouth that Wonder Woman did and isn't drawing a lot of that audience.

I saw matinees of both Thor and Justice League this weekend. I saw Justice League yesterday and at most the theater was about 30%-40% full. Thor looked like it was at least 75% or more today. Anecdotal to be sure, and I wouldn't use Atlantic Canada as a barometer for mainstream moviegoers, but that doesn't seem like a good sign at all.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Now nitpicks about stupid plot holes and things that aren't necessarily plot holes but stupid nonetheless that bother me.

1. Steppenwolf came back because the Kryptonian was gone. uh, why not any of the approximately 10000 years between when the gods were dead and there was no Kryptonian?
2. "The jet won't fly that fast" "It will for me". Cyborg can make planes fly faster than they normally do? That's nonsensical. Why even say it won't fly fast enough? It's a pointless explanation to fix a problem they had no reason to have.
3. Are Wonder woman and Cyborg just watching Steppenwolf torture and kill guys while Batman and Flash have a comedic conversation?
4. How did he know where two of the three boxes were, and if he did, why didn't he know where the third was? He wasn't around when everyone made decisions where they would be guarded.
5. Multiple times people are just shouting out secret identities in front of random civilians.
6. The Lois scenes were beyond pointless. Her as the "contingency" plan would have been so much more effective if you hadn't seen her up to that point.
7. Why did Bruce Wayne have to buy a loving bank? How did he stop the house being foreclosed on? He could just have his own bank buy the debt, or just buy the house.
8. Batman is catching a criminal at the beginning and then after the parademon attacks the criminal is just bantering with him like "Whoa Batman, you see that? That's pretty wild! I bet that was an alien! Probably invading cause of Superman being dead, huh bats? Close call!" And this guy was trying to kill Batman 60 second ago, and Batman just dangled him off a roof, and this guy still had the goods he stole. Batman just kind of leaves and that guy's still standing there like "Wow, I met Batman!" like he's gonna go home and tell his wife a funny story.

2 I agree its dumb for them to raise the issue at all but crazy alien tech powers reconfiguring the engines into better engines or whatever is enough for me,
but I don't really know anything about engines or machining. They probably just wanted something else for Cyborg to do.

4 Cyborg's cube is in a little case/handle thing, isn't it? That must have been blocking whatever/however he's tracking them cause he found it when they took it out to resurrect Supes. How Stepp tracks them and how Cyborg would know how to block them are really good questions that aren't answered.
8 This was really dumb. Did he let him keep the loot? I think they were going for "he lets him go as an apology for using him as parademon bait," but that's really stupid. A Batman appropriate gift for that circumstance is leaving him for the cops with his jaw and shoulder intact, not letting him go.

5 really annoyed me. I'm glad I didn't think of 3, that would have bugged me too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Been a lot of talk about how we don't know Thanos' previous failure he mentioned, but could he just be talking about Titan and how everyone there ended up dead because he failed to kill half of them like he wanted?

Movie was a ton of fun, I really liked it. My wife was pretty disappointed initially, she felt that they hit you over the head with the 'sacrifice' theme so much that it took her out of the movie, and that's a very fair point. But after spending much of last night reminiscing about the various funny bits and cool scenes that we really enjoyed she's come around a bit more. She's interested in seeing it again to see if her opinion changes knowing what she's in for. And also knowing to look for Tobias this time.

She's also pretty cheesed off about how everyone dusted is likely coming back, cause it makes the whole thing kind of pointless, and again, yeah fair point. There's no real question about whether those folks will stay dead, but rather a question of how they'll be brought back, which roles might be recast, etc etc.

Also, as Community fans, Quill's insecurity regarding Thor was hilariously similar to Jeff Winger's Chris Pratt-related insecurities in Season 6.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 28, 2018

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Not spoilering this cause it was in the trailers, though there's more of it in the movie, but I loved RDJ's reacting in his scenes with Star-Lord, cause they're such similarly mouthy characters and you can kind of read Tony's face like 'poo poo, is this what I come across like when I'm talking to people?'

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

1. GOTG
2. Winter Soldier
3. Thor 3
4. Infinity War
5. Spider-Man
6. GOTG 2
7. Dr. Strange
8. Civil War
9. Iron Man 3
10. Avengers
11. Iron Man
12. Ant Man
13. Cap 1
14. Age of Ultron
15. Thor 1
16. Iron Man 2
17. Incredible Hulk
18. Thor 2

Really hard to put the top 5 in a proper order, they're all really close. Maybe it will shake out differently after I've had a chance to see IW and Thor 3 a few more times. We had a really busy last couple of months so we still haven't seen Black Panther, really looking forward to that too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Venom was fun and dumb in varying amounts, but Hardy's Eddie Brock voice kept making me think of Bobcat Goldthwait.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was a poodle, and that was later on, when he got his own mini-series. He also pushed his grandma down the stairs, pre-symbiote. Carnage is written considerably darker when he's in his own books.

That's more his speed in his Maximum Carnage run: he's definitely probably killin' some guys there, but there's no gory wounds or visible death on panel.

"Make Mine Murder" :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Even watching, I knew what he meant, but it's delivered in the worst possible way. For a guy who's supposed to be good at dialogue, that was just dumb as all hell.

Though I will say, I actually like the language bit and a significant amount of the dialogue in the "Time for an Hour of Faceless Mooks" final battle. Whoever wrote that last chat between Ultron and Vision really gets me.

I really like the bit between Vis and Thor about how well balanced Mjolnir is. Not a huge fan of that movie on the whole, but it has a few good bits.

• Locked thread