Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Prepare to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's good to see they are being faithful to the comic Civil War in one aspect at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Also, and more importantly, X-Men But Boring and Bad.

Fixed friend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Wait...that's not fixed! That's not fixed at all!

And regardless your feelings on the Inhumans you can at least admit that "X-Men but...bad" is a redundant descriptor.

I like the X-men!

Not the current X-men, but they were good once!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I never understand people who claim movie critics/videogame journalists are paid off by big companies. All it takes is one person blowing the whistle and the companies would be in big trouble.

Paying and giving benefits to make critics like you is a thing.

The idea that one big company is able to freeze out another big company by doing that is not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Any character can make money if you put the effort and cash into it. There really isn't any difference between say Iron Man pre RDJ and Black Knight as far as the general public is concerned.

That is why saying so an so could never work as a movie doesn't work, because as far as the general public cares they are all the same. Outside if a few properties of course.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Heathen posted:

What is fun? Beep boop.

Somewhere Zack frowns, not knowing why.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's the second best individual movies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Still no. Even if you disqualify Guardians and Cap 3.

What is better? Iron Man 1? loving Thor?

Also it's better than Guardians by a mile.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

loving why.

No one chooses to watch Thor, it just happens.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

"Should Batman sit down?"

"Hell no. Unless it's a chair that can tell him Joker's real name."

He then must never stand up while this chair exists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Iron Man is fun for the origin then it just drags itself to the finish line, wheezing the whole way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spider totems are fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Spider Totems get too much flack. There are bad Spider-Totem stories but there are also good ones, not only by JMS but other authors too. They're a goofy minor plot point that gets brought up when it's convenient for a plot which is about on-par with any of the other random bit of Spider-Errata and they actually make sense if in a bit too much of a pat-and-neat way. The full extent of it is kinda poorly done but even The Other was used well with Scarlet Spider so it's a case of finding the right slot for it.

Admittedly Scarlet Spider was basically them going "you know, we got a lot of ideas people hate here, why don't we find a way to make them work?' and doing it.

I am the guy who likes the other.

Also JMS is my favorite ASM run.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

First class was about Mags/Charles. The rest were afterthoughts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

This is, uh, pretty solid casual racism.

It's very possible that the Chinese audience also didn't find the movie very compelling, seeing as they are people who are capable of having opinions about things?

The Chinese have evolved a love of superheroes to combat their native predators, the Mongols.

Where did you even get your degree?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Soonmot posted:

No, because First Class has a lot of screen time of actors other than Fassbender, Macavoy, and Bacon and all those scenes are terrible.

Yeah you can't admit something that ain't true.

Honestly X2 is the best X-men movie by a mile. Most are bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Storm was barely in the original trilogy? How small did you want it to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Are you being sarcastic here.

Storm was not centerstage at all

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 29, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is what she was tho. Like am I remembering them differently?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That isn't making her centerstage, it's giving her something to do, which the original trilogy struggled with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair that is also how comics apocalypse operates.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I never thought I would see someone defend the weird no girls toys thing. Though is it really defending it if your argument sucks? Makes you think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Welcome to marketing son.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Just to be absolutely clear -- and this is not me defending any of Singer's skeevy tendencies, but just to lay out all the facts -- the man who accused him of rape has since been arrested for an investment fraud scheme.

This is not relevant in any matter, why did you think this is a good idea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alan Moore was the rape guy of the 80s tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He's not wrong tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The killing joke is his weakest work by far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean it's not as bad as Neonomicon but yeah it's not top tier Moore.

The better ultradark Batman graphic novel of that era is Arkham Asylum.

I forgot about Neonomicon, so fair point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hush is real bad tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Most those people have their themes forced on them by random chance or science experiment gone wrong. Bruce is just insane

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Addressing feudalism is about 400 years late mate. So is compassionate royalty for that matter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair compassionate Monarchy or enlighten despotism was a thing more in theory than practice. You usually have to make huge exceptions for it to work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

why

i get the feeling that whenever anyone says this it's just because #notmyxmen and not actually related to the actual merits of the inhumans, the current books of which are extremely loving better than any x-men books btw

They are extremely lame conceptually and are horribly shoe horned. The books themselves are at best okay, they don't do anything particularly interesting but they are not bad either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I don't think you get consequence, as that isn't it. Him being resurrected isn't a consequence, as the other choice, letting him live, would most likely have ended in the same manner.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is actually a problem with the movie, Batman does a complete turnaround for no reason once the acceptance threshold is breached. Sloppy writing for sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

greatn posted:

That depends on whether or not you buy the "Martha" moment. A lot of people don't. It worked really well for me though. It was a Paul on the road to Damascus moment where Batman saw what he was becoming and remembered why her became Batman in the first place and realized Superman wasn't his enemy. A lot of people thought it was hokey or stupid. I didn't. That was the films real resolution. Doomsday afterwards if anything was an unnecessary fourth act. But it was an unnecessary fourth act I thought was really fun to watch and visually pretty.

I am actually arguing from the standpoint that that scene is fine, but it shouldn't have fostered the interactions that followed. Batman was unhinged and paranoid, so he shouldn't have been that buddy buddy that quickly. It's like all the mistrust just evaporated instantly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Suicide Squad as a whole is trying to hard to be fair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

None of those movies have a female lead, one of the characters is female which might qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

You're arguing with CharlesTheHammer. Why even bother?

He can't admit when he is wrong.

Also Luke is barely the protagonist till Return and the bad ones didn't actually introduce anyone close to a protagonist till at least clones and even then ehhhh. So Star Wars has a history of this.

• Locked thread