Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Little Mac posted:

This theater is packed.

So is mine and the movie doesn't start for 35 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That owned.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Boseman is phenomenal and I had a massive smile on my face whenever Holland was onscreen.

E: Also gonna echo X-O in how great I thought Zemo was.

Arist fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 6, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Picklepuss posted:

Look, if I'm wrong and the Cinematic Iron Man and his side is totally different from the Comic Book one then I will apologize to anyone I offended, but I don't think it's ridiculous for me to look at a movie that's supposedly based on a comic story, with the same title even, and presume it's the same basic premise.

It's not the same premise at all. They took some incredibly heavy license with adapting the story, to the point where the only similar factors are that Tony is pro, Steve is anti, and they fight at the end. The thing they're fighting over barely resembles what it was in the comics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No need to get nasty over different interpretations of the comic book movie, dude. What about the Accords is even remotely equivalent to "raping nuns and orphans"?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, She-Hulk is awesome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

The thing is that reporters have frequently complained about how Marvel screenings and media junkets have always been barebones and cheap compared to other companies as far as perks for the media goes.

From what I've heard that was more of Perlmutter's doing. The man was notoriously cheap. Didn't he literally get Subway to cater events or something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They'll never do it just out of spite.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a rumor that John Boyega might be in Black Panther now, holy poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

They have a point, you don't need to be a smarmy rear end in a top hat about it.

You're wrong, he does.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What defines "good" and "bad" if there isn't a set of moral codes or boundaries heroes won't cross? What makes a hero any better than a villain if he doesn't have a degree of restraint and empathy for others?

I'm not on BotL's side, i was just saying that being a smug, bad faith rear end in a top hat is kind of his gimmick.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a great joke. Biggest laugh in the movie both times I've seen it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

Here's a fun clip that got posted in CineD about the Russos inabilty to shoot a scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huyVs3QiK1c

Ugh, I haven't seen Civil War in like three weeks and I can still tell most of this is wholly disingenuous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll grant you part of the fight at the beginning is shaky but it improved like, immediately. Plus, the other half of that video is that it's all shot in closeup and I don't remember that at all.

Also "lol no" isn't gonna work, you need examples.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She was Envy Adams.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I admit I thought she was a little young for the character as I had imagined her but the more I think about it the more this has the potential to be a really good choice, assuming it goes through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno about this, Dope is a charming movie but it's got a lot of issues.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That movie is already too long, even if by some miracle they manage to make Superman something other than an aloof nobody in his own movie it's not like it's gonna fix the pacing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I, for one, think that a movie that's trying to portray an ideological conflict between superheroes should dramatize a clash in perspectives, by which I mean Superman should actually have one.

Going "it's from Batman's perspective!" is actually a huge copout because this movie needs to be about two heroes, not one.

But I'm talking to you, so I've already lost.

Arist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 3, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

...did you even see it?

I did, I'm complaining that it didn't actually do that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wright is among my favorite directors and everything I heard about his version of Ant-Man sounded strictly inferior. Almost all my favorite moments came from Reed or McKay.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TVTropes aside that quote kinda reads as "people didn't like this movie because it was too smart for them," which is a terrible attitude to have, especially in regards to a movie as profoundly dumb as BvS.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, you guys really never learn

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bokeem Woodbine reportedly just joined Spider-Man Homecoming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it looks really really tryhard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what that phrase means. I'm saying that instead of feeling like a legitimate direction to take the character in it feels like an affectation because they put so much effort into making it look "cool," or whatever the hell they're going for. It looks ostentatious and hollow. Putting aside whether or not it will actually be compelling as a performance, which I obviously cannot judge from the five seconds I've seen, the overall design just looks loving awful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I thought it looked like that character was trying way too hard to be edgy before I heard those stories and after I heard them those feelings were redoubled and also I'm now aware that Jared Leto is an rear end in a top hat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm actually kind of excited for SS, and it's not like I hated BvS, as flawed as it is. I don't think it's a good movie by any stretch, but I don't hate it. You're barking up the wrong tree, dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wanna see if they actually handle Harley Quinn well, she's a character I like but who is also super goddamn easy to gently caress up.

For an example, the Arkham games, where she's a completely infantilized mess of a character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sounds a lot better, but unless that cut magically gives Superman something resembling a character and somehow makes the tone of the thing not completely offputting I can't imagine enjoying it.

It would also have to completely excise Luthor, which is almost certainly asking too much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, here's a question: Does Superman actually talk to Wonder Woman at all in this cut?

Because if not, what the gently caress.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I doubt even the fixed version is good enough to justify that runtime, which might be the reason I'm most apprehensive about seeing it again. Even if this version of this story "needs" to be this long, there's almost certainly a better story that doesn't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thor 2 is a very nothing movie for me. Outside of the final fight, which I remember liking, I can summon no emotion towards it whatsoever. I mean, I'm sure I liked and disliked parts of it, but none of it stuck.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not the "whole point of the movie," it's not even dramatized.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I rewatched Civil War again recently, and even after looking for shakiness I still think it's a bit overstated. The Black Widow market fight and the brief fight between Bucky and Black Panther on the roof are undoubtedly the worst of it, but while the stairwell fight does have some of that it's not nearly as prominent and never confusing even with how chaotic that scene is supposed to be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Batman can't lose, it's not marketable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's the reason Black Widow wasn't getting toys, at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Travis343 posted:

Thematically Doomsday is great. He's an unstoppable killing machine who only exists because Superman failed, brought to life by the embodiment of human jealousy and mistrust.

Except the movie does nothing with this angle anyway so even if it's what they meant to say it's still kinda bullshit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man should by all rights be a lesser Marvel film, it's just charming as hell and comes together greater than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BravestOfTheLamps knows what words mean, he's just trolling you. In his defense, you're all incredibly loving easy.

• Locked thread