Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Obviously the renamed movies will be Avengers: Reconstruction and then maybe Avengers: The Great Depression

"Avengers: The Gilded Age" sounds like a great DC Elseworlds book circa 1997.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I hate that poo poo. Who cares if someone gives something you like (or assume you like since I bet a lot of those people haven't even loving seen it) a bad review?

Sure, there's a bit of a theory that at least some of the critical reaction to MoS and BvS comes from lingering resentment over critics reportedly getting death threats for giving less than perfect reviews to TDKR, isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps they could try shooting him into space.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Winter Soldier did really good numbers, the Captain America brand has been built up to the point I would say Chris Evans is a solid (but very far behind, like everybody else) number two to RDJ in terms of being or tied with the superhero that he plays.

How would you compare either of them with Jackman as Wolverine?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious to know what people think of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film, not so much as an adaptation, and more as its own thing. I was thinking of re-watching it recently, not having done so in more than 10 years. I saw it when it came out - I would have been about 12 - and I had it on VHS, and I remember thinking it was really clever to use all of these characters from Victorian literature as a kind of Justice League (which was incidentally the newest entry in the DCAU at that time). Of course, I subsequently read the comics and realised it was much bigger than "just" this 19th-century Justice League, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up on its own.

It provoked a bit of a mini-boom in movies that used a similar stylistic approach. Van Helsing, obviously. I feel as though it is itself influenced considerably by the Blade movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

As a whole film, it's a mess. Mina/Peta, Dorian Gray, Nemo/WhateverHisActor'sNameIs and the design of the Nautilus are the easy highlights but everything around them is just...muddy. Effects are unfinished, the bad guy's a snooze, and action scenes are overall pretty generic. THAT SAID I always find myself watching at least a little bit when it shows up on Encore or FX.

I guess nostalgia is the main appeal for me.

My gut instinct is that I prefer the second Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie because a) I'm confident that Jared Harris was a better Moriarty than Richard Roxburgh; and b) he does the exact same plan except I'm pretty sure it's much better in Holmes 2 than LXG.

Haha, that's great. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shawn posted:

Disney makes plenty of movies that barely break even.

They make plenty of movies that flat-out bomb.

Like, two of the biggest bombs of the past five years are John Carter and The Lone Ranger, and those were both Disney's.

In fact, does Disney live-action cinema in general do especially well outside the Marvel stuff, (so far) Star Wars and (I suppose) Pirates of the Caribbean?

I was reading DisneyWar recently, and it's interesting how these trends develop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually thinking about the potential casting of Captain Marvel lately, and since I've recently watched Continuum, I got to thinking, how about Rachel Nichols?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

She's already having a fully successful career and unlike RDJ doesn't need that redemption narrative to get real famous again, I doubt she is going to want to commit to a bazillion movies of green-screen work.

If they did get her, she'd be the biggest name Marvel had snagged to lead one of their movies, wouldn't she?

So far... It's probably Cumberbatch, isn't it? I mean, RDJ is a bigger star and he's had a much longer career and all, but I feel as though Cumberbatch at least on par now with where RDJ was when he was cast as Iron Man (decent critical notices, star-defining roles, Oscar nomination etc.).

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this.

I don't disagree that Theron would be ideal; she could be the MCU's next franchise player as Captain Marvel, but as others have noted, in the cynical world of Hollywood, age seems to be a bigger consideration for female as compared with male actors when it comes to casting these putatively multi-picture franchise characters.

So I thought about good actresses who have done action roles, mostly done television work but have experience in features and, well, Nichols looks the part (maybe a bit short? I'm not sure), she's done Alias, Continuum and she did those GI Joe films.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, maybe they'll push it back another year and see if Daisy Ridley wants a go at another franchise after Episode IX has wrapped. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Dick Tracy is my favourite Batman '89 copycat.

(Actually, it's probably The Crow, but I'm not sure if it counts.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's about ethics in -- <punched out>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Read an article recently suggesting that the combined budget for both parts of Infinity War could be as high as $1 billion.

At least 90% of which will cover Robert Downey Jr.'s salary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, didn't Disney make back around half the cost of the Lucasfilm acquisition on TFA merchandising alone?

According to Wikipedia, the most expensive single film is the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which cost around £380m, while the Hobbit movies, which were shot back to back, cost approximately £625m or so altogether. So it will set a new record on that front if it does come to that total. For comparison, BvS and Civil War each had a budget of about $250m each.

Semi-related: I feel that if Civil War falls short of BvS at the box office (say it tops out at around $800m) it won't be treated as quite as big a disappointment. I'm not sure why I feel like that (and it doesn't look like that will happen at the moment) but it's the impression I have from how the press has worked thus far (probably because, as we all know, Disney has been buying off all the movie critics to get positive reviews :tinfoil:).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 12, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose Civil War has already earned in a fortnight or so what Winter Soldier managed to make in its entire run in theatres, so that's probably an encouraging sign for the folks who count the money at Disney.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Well, to be fair, the mutants were like "See how you like it now, assholes."

I love the bit in the MightyGodKing edit where Bishop approaches Tony Stark as he's leaving the X-Mansion and says, "Mr Stark? I'm from an alternate future where superpowered beings were horribly repressed by a tyrannical government... and this time, I wanna be on the winning side!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

But you're certainly right that the tone is a big factor. Some people like their comic books to be dour and brooding, but that's always going to be a smaller audience than people who want to enjoy themselves and forget about their problems for an hour and a half.

I feel as though they're both forms of escapism, but for my own tastes, the former doesn't really evoke a world I'm especially interested in escaping to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a thought - given those movie posters from the GOTG 2 set photos, and given Castle is ending, Nathan Fillion should be available to portray Simon Williams / Wonder Man now.

(Occurred to me as I was about to post that surely there's no reason Michael B. Jordan couldn't play a character who's white in the comics, and was going to say Wonder Man.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got seeing Civil War this evening. It was fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

That would require anyone actually wanting to have Black Knight in the MCU in the first place.

There was a time when Black Knight was the most popular member of the Avengers, during the Bob Harras run, when everyone wore leather jackets over their costumes.

Even before that, Black Knight was the one they put on the Marvel 25th anniversary tie-in cover for the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

"JEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

COVERED WITH SCORPIONS

GET THEM OFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEE!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

A Gambit film and a 90s X-Men film on the horizon makes me happy though, as a terrible person.

Hey. Gambit one of a kind and you be crazy not to look forward to he movie, frère.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I'll probably see Apocalypse this week or next week and will confirm if adding that to the pile manages to make it better than the animated series.

This could be your review if it's bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Rogue have her powers removed in X3? It's been that long since I saw that I can't remember, and even from what I do recall, the scene was pretty unclear as to whether it had happened or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Rogue lost her powers in X-Treme X-Men after she was stabbed by Vargas, then she had Sunfire's powers for a while after Lady Deathstrike cut his legs off? That was years ago but I have no idea where she went after that. Does she have Carol Danvers's powers again, or is she just back to her absorption abilities? I have honestly not kept track.

I think the nineties cartoon is why I've never really been able to get into the X-Men post-2000; I read and enjoyed New X-Men by Morrison and Astonishing by Whedon and Cassaday, but beyond that, they've not been my thing (even though I know there's been a ton of good stuff done with the characters), because the cartoon team were "my" X-Men, and they're pretty far removed from that now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Kang's tied up with FF, if I remember correctly.

Continually mystifying that Kang is tied up with the FF entirely on the basis that he and Rama-Tut are the same person, but Marvel apparently retains the rights to Immortus.

I can't understand how they can share the rights to use (at least) Quicksilver but Kang is off-limits when he's far more of an Avengers villain than an FF one (I actually think Kang would be a better big bad for the MCU than Thanos, because I think of him as an Avengers arch-enemy, whereas I think of Thanos as an "event" bad guy, if that makes sense).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, Dracula's public domain, they could do "Marvel's Tomb of Dracula" featuring Blade and Ghost Rider as a Netflix anthology.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Flash, Teen Titans, Superman, JSA.

Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

Has JMS ever written anything good

Real Ghostbusters and Babylon 5.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I've been watching the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie for the first time in about 10 years. I have the DVD, and it begins with a "Not for Rental" warning message and "Coming Soon On Video and DVD" trailers, which you don't see so much nowadays. (According to these trailers, the films coming soon include In America, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and Runaway Jury.)

The movie itself... I'm not sure how to describe it. I loved this movie when I was a kid, and I suppose to some extent it's campy enough for me still to enjoy even if it's not very good. Sean Connery is good fun to watch (and it's a shame this was his last film). You've got Tony Curran, who's a good actor, but he just doesn't have enough to do as the Invisible Man. I think Stuart Townsend as Dorian Grey doesn't work - he plays him so slimy from his very first scene that the big twist that he's the traitor doesn't really work. It just feels too obvious that he's a bad guy. I don't think Richard Roxburgh hammed it up enough as Moriarty.

I wonder where the "Edwardian war-profiteer villains want to start the First World War a decade early" plot originated? It shows up here, and it's Moriarty's plot again in the second Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie (which I recall enjoying a lot more than this one).

It feels very of its time - I think there's a distinct style and aesthetic to genre movies of this type in the early 2000s, which you can also see in the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and even Hellboy to a certain extent. I'm not really sure how to describe it, or identify where it started; probably just part of the continuum running back to Batman '89 (which also encompassed Dick Tracy, Darkman, The Rocketeer The Shadow, The Phantom) by way of the first two X-Men movies, which by this point had long since run out of steam.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Man, I keep forgetting JMS is a big part of Sense8. I wonder why I would forget that. :v:

He's just overshadowed by the Wachowskis.

Same token: Chuck Austen is an executive producer and showrunner on Steven Universe.

(Disclaimer: I have never watched that show but I understand it's very popular.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It has one really, really, really bad scene that I think lets it down a lot (the atomic fridge scene at the start) but it's a fun movie other than that, with an enjoyable cast. I think it's fun as an homage to the 1950s science-fiction films which functioned as Red Scare allegories, in much the same way as the original Indy movies worked as homages to old pulp adventures and film serials (and to a certain extent Donald Duck comics).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Well, Sinister is the most 90s of all villains

Madkal posted:

Wrong. Stryfe is

Spoiled that just out of fear that it would trace all the way back to the original spoiler.

No way, it's gotta be Omega Red and his MUTANT DEATH FACTOR.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do we think of the (first two) Sam Raimi Spider-Man films? Aside from J. K. Simmons as JJJ being the most perfect casting in any superhero movie, do they genuinely hold up or do they mostly trading on nostalgia?

I remember seeing them both in the cinema when they came out and thinking they were great, but having watched them more recently, I have more of a mixed opinion about them. For one thing, there was a lot more weird slo-mo and zoom-ins than I remembered. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Alfred Molina as Doc Ock a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Totbot posted:

I think the best praise to Raimi's Spider-man movies I can give is that I can still watch and enjoy them today despite the fact that I really don't like the majority of the actors in them. JK Simmons and Alfred Molina being the obvious exceptions.

How about Willem Dafoe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have read that Rachel Luttrell was also considered for Storm in the first movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Nightcrawler's was openly red. I think even Jean and Scott's end-of-film suits are pretty distinct and really evoke their 90s suits.

It's just unfortunate that modern costume technology is still unable to give us Jean's kooky 90s face-mask thing.

Oh no. Not the Jim Lee flesh-coloured one? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: age, Brie Larson is 26 now and I think the movie is scheduled to come out in 2019. The only time I can recall Carol Danvers's age being given in a comic was in Avengers Annual #10, where I think she was listed as being 29 (on her USAF credentials). :eng101:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine the remaining gems could be in GOTG 2 and / or Thor 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Sam Raimi, I think I might like the first Darkman movie more than the first Spider-Man one.

• Locked thread