Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

You do know that Spider-Man starts off being Team Tony even in the comic books, right? He's with Iron Man up to the point where it gets absurdly stupid, which never happens in the movie.

I came into the film expecting to be fully on Team Iron Man, but I came away being more Team Captain America than I thought. I thought the whole funeral scene for Peggy not only highlighted her struggle against the establishment that took some disobedience, but kind of one of the central conflicts of World War II, which was the Holocaust, the subtle implication being that if the Avengers allowed the UN to sanction them, they wouldn't be able to stand up against genocide and the like, that they'd just be "following orders." That's probably reading way too much into that scene, but considering Steve is already making points about where the UN will restrict them or send them, I thought it was kind of reinforced with bringing up that whole war.

I liked how this movie used imagery and even had a moralizing point at the end, one that BvS never quite did, but it wasn't so drat preachy and trying to hammer its themes home every two minutes. In a way, I feel like BvS is a smarter film because it's trying to go for something grander and there are some legit interesting points to consider, but it doesn't follow up on those and just goes for the lazy mythology themes instead. CA3 has a pretty simple moral, revenge bad, but it executes it in a way that feels more relevant to the current situation in this country and around the world than, say, television pundits spouting off about god or some bullshit.

And yeah, that's the Spider-Man I've been looking for one. One where you can sort of tell why in-universe everyone is annoyed by him, and why he infuriates villains more so than your average hero, but is still a good kid that you root for and think is awesome. I'm so unbelievably psyched for his coming movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart phenomenally if Bucky took a bullet to the brain at any point before he was able to interrogate him, wouldn't it

Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart a million times over if at any point in the movie there had been a single compromise. It's not like The Dark Knight where there is way too much master plotting and timing for the Joker to be doing that borders on the believable - Most of Zemo's work really is done by Tony and Steve being assholes to each other.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC, and added with my personal thoughts, Tony asks why Peter does what he does. He basically responds with, "I'm helping the little guy. I'm doing what (I think) is right." That in and of itself, would seem to line up more with Cap's way of thinking. It's not explicitly shown, but Tony probably said, "hey, look, there's this new law regarding super heroes, Cap and some of his friends broke that law and I need help arresting them." Seeing as how Spidey tried to read Falcon(?) his rights, he probably thinks he was deputized. I do kind of wonder if Tony got Peter to sign in an attempt to "protect" him.

But implicit with all that is, "With great power comes great responsibility," which lines up much more with registration. Being accountable to someone probably seems pretty good to a kid who's devoted himself to upholding Ben's legacy, and he doesn't see how Cap is doing the same until I think that exchange of New York ties. I doubt it's even a viewing of Cap as a relic so much as something somewhat unrelatable... the difference between General Schwartzkopf showing up at your house, and Steve Jobs. One just appeals more to a tech kid.

Also, the X-Men are still the coolest loving thing, just their movies are done by a bad studio (I don't like them, anyway), and the comics have gotten away from, "Kids with nationalities and identities at a school going on wacky adventures." It's all this grappling with extinction bullshit that doesn't have any grounding in minority metaphor and also puts a dumb hard cap on how many mutants you save/meet a week, which has weakened the line as a whole.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

That it isn't named "Just-rear end League," is a crime so bewildering that I can't even comprehend it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Between Chris Evans and Brie Larson, pencil in Michael Cera for a future Marvel role.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Man do I loving hate the Joker.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Popeahuntis posted:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3960865...-in-wolverine-3

First set photos of the next Wolverine film.

It looks like Patrick Stewart is being rushed out of a movie premier more than anything else....

A bit back, but I'm here for the stupid speculation that the little girl is Layla Miller.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like a film where the characters seem less sociopathic all around, that's for sure, but that just calls into question the editing practices that went into the film to begin with because those are some pretty crucial tidbits to leave out. All that cut just to leave in another dumbass media montage and hamfisted theological references?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Which apparently isn't what gets them killed in prison. Still... just... bizarre choices with Batman's character.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

BvS is bad but at least its failures are interesting to discuss. Thor 2 is a giant blank spot on the universe.

As someone who liked Thor 1 quite a bit, Thor 2 is legit bad. Frigga's death took me completely out of it to the point where I stopped watching, and I was already disliking how focused they seemed on making the Asgardian stuff sound more like "alien future tech" compared to the more fantasy aims of the first. I'm sure Loki was fun and engaging, but I couldn't really stomach it.

Compare that to BvS, where nothing outright takes me out and if anything Wonder Woman sells me back in (even if admittedly she doesn't serve much purpose which is why she should have killed Doomsday and sent the boys home, but anyway)... but that's the big event movie, not a side event's sequel. Compare that to Captain America: Civil War which I saw twice in theaters.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I started to write a real effort post about Thor before I realized I could sum my ideas about the character in two words.

Thor sucks.

Chris Hemmsworth playing him as a cocky rear end in a top hat in the first film is probably as detailed and quality a characterization you're ever going to get, but after that, it's doldrums.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Movie is already better than BvS because it actually has a color palette.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Yeah like, I am actually pretty hype for WW and I still have hope that it's going to be good, but these are set pics. If you look at set pics from BvS you might be amazed to learn that the grey parts of Superman's costume are actually blue. I think WW looks great but it remains to be seen if they let the movie actually be that colorful.

I feel like the initial leaks from BvS made it pretty clear that the final product was going to be drab as hell, while that fourth pic in the WW collection looks like an okay movie still.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

X-O posted:

Also all the cameos were terrible, except for Ernie Hudson. I also wish the film could have gone five whole minutes at any point without going "Hey there audience, do you remember that old movie called Ghostsbusters? Wasn't that great?" because it was just too much.

It feels like remakes more and more feel the need to make unnecessary homages to the previous film, as if the reaction to all the complaints of remakes is, "Well, we respect those movies a lot, let's show JUST HOW MUCH we do." I'm thinking mainly of Star Trek Into Darkness where it seemed every other line was an unnecessary homage to the point of obscuring a halfway okay story.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Conceptually, I like Shazam more than Marvel Captain Marvel because it's just random Kree bullshit that I could really give a poo poo about, but a decent Marvel female hero that isn't an X-Men is pretty necessary. Doesn't stop me from really wanting a Shazam movie though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

People probably like the idea of the character of Harle more than the actual character.

I dunno, I enjoyed the second half of her first solo series because it took a comical but immoral character and put them in unnerving situations, but my favorite Deadpool is the one in Cable and Deadpool, so I'm probably not the typical appreciator of those type of characters.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I never saw superman in any media as a child.

The one I saw was when I was about four on Nick at Nite that was from the Forties or whatever, which just leaves me thinking, "Wow, isn't Superman kinda overpowered," the rest of the time I've known him. Also, that he's boring, because Nick at Nite is boring.

The Occupy Wall Street Superman in Grant Morrison's Action Comics is really cool and the one I wish would get filmed and be out there more. It's relevant without being lovely "POST-9/11, TORTURE, 24, VIOLENCE GOOD, WTC ANALOGIES," crap.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, to be clear, "fuckboy" in the context used in Batman v. Superman means

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Dammit, I liked Kirsten Dunst as MJ.

Maguire on the other hand... eh.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Also, can't believe I missed that the guy from TV on the Radio is going to be in this. This film is going to rule so much.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The singer. He's going to be playing a "Mr Cobwell" apparently.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He didn't quip, the most important Spidey trait!

This, but unironically.

It's weird how I was more giddy over seeing Holland's Spidey than I was with any of the Toby Maguire movies. There's something about all of the writing with him that was... what I wanted. It's difficult to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Into Darkness isn't that bad. It did try to be smarter than the first reboot, but it just bogged itself down in homages to the point of kinda sucking. But it's better than quite a few of the other Treks, like 1, 3, Insurrection, and I've never even seen Nemesis. Probably about a Generations on the Star Trek scale.

Also, did Cumberbatch just dial up whoever Hugh Laurie's voice coach was from House was for this because I keep expecting Strange to crack sarcastic about his Vicodin addiction.

• Locked thread