Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:sbahj:

Got back from seeing Civil War. PRetty friggin' awesome, maybe my personal favorite of the MCU thus far. Looking forward to where they go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grimlook posted:

Better than Cap America 2?

I think so, yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

Im guessing that Tony's holographic flashback machine is going to be used to help deprogram Bucky, and that he'll become the or a new Cap at some point.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

teagone posted:

Maybe they'll even use extremis to give him a normal arm back.

Maybe they could use it fix Rhodey's spine, too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

The MCU's been leaning very heavily on the Advanced Aliens side of the Aliens/Gods spectrum, so I'd guess not.

Yeah, but wasn't that mostly Perlmutter?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

I've seen people upset she's not old enough.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if they make her slightly younger. Maybe she'll be an actual Captain instead of a Colonel in the USAF.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh and I'm convinced that we're not getting Amora in Thor 3 because Enchantress is in Suicide Squad.

It comes to mind that the heavy focus on the Joker in the trailers will backfire when he's barely in it, plus they don't get what the Joker nuts are expecting, a 2016 version of Ledger's joker most likely. There's no other reason to focus on such a minor part of the film other than to hook fans of it, and in this day and age people can register their complaints instantly and people will actually see it.

The sad thing, is I was really, really looking forward to it. Most of these characters have never appeared in live action, especially Harle, and Will Smith looks like he's returning to the 90s Big Willy style I loved so much before WIld Wild West.

They've got Skurge in there, they've got to have her too. They could just call her 'Amora' if they're worried about the Enchantress brand being diluted or whatever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hopefully he fucks off to wherever Sam Worthington is now.

Is it contractually obligated that generic Australian dude 'lead' actors have to star in disappointing Terminator sequels?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Swillkitsch posted:

I couldn't name a single character trait that Marvel has invested in Mary Jane worth giving a gently caress about over the years other than the fact that she's Peter's love interest. I mean, I guess if "fiery redhead" is a good enough character thesis for you to defend the concept of her hair color, then the real problem is the fact that there is nothing else about Mary Jane that is worth caring about, basically

Zendaya is great casting. This is not a good hill to die on.

You are Joe Quesada and I claim my five pounds.

OK, seriously. I'm kinda bummed out by this, mainly because I was hoping they'd keep the iconic 'face it Tiger' introduction as the end of the movie or as a post credits scene, whereas it seems she's actually going to be in the movie the whole way through. I'm sure if she is playing MJ she'll do a good job, but godammit they had the perfect chance to pull off one of the best character introductions in comics on the big screen (and Spectacular Spider-Man shows it can be done outside of the page), and they fumbled the ball.

The casting is not my problem (although I would be lying if I said it's not going to be something that I will have to adjust to), but I was hoping that they'd actually surprise us with Mary Jane the way Stan Lee & John Romita did back in the 60s. Considering Zendaya is already appearing marketing materials makes that unlikely. Then again I can see how impossible it would be to keep that reveal under wraps.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, have we even had any actual confirmation that Zendaya is playing MJ, or we all :derp:ing over nothing?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

It's a Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek situation.

This is the one issue I have with the casting (assuming it's true), is that they're pulling the 'mystery box' poo poo on us. When has it really ever worked?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Or they're going to announce it sometime in the 11 months before it comes out.

If they were going to announce it before release, why hide it in the first place?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dario the Wop posted:

Batman Begins. The Ra's al Ghul reveal.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never suspected that Guy Pearce was actually the Mandarin, sort of. Well, he yelled it.
To be fair, in both those cases Ras and the Mandarin were both I believe revealed before release (or in the first act), but it turned out that the 'real' person was another character. I'm talking about a character who apparentlly has no link to anyone from the original property being revealed as a 'shocking twist' to have been character X all along. I guess Talia in DKR, since that was kind of another bait-and-switch with Bane's backstory.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlimGoodbody posted:

They probably don't want to sort out who Hulkling belongs to (I'm assuming that's who Doug is)

Edit: Wait, I'm thinking of Wiccan and Hulkling. Who do you mean by Warlock? I never read much New Mutants

:frogout:

Basically he's a technoorganic alien who unlike the rest of his species is largely pacifistic. He's BFFs with Cypher AKA Doug Ramsey, a mutant with the power to understand any language.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

irlZaphod posted:

Multiple Spider-Man actors wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep doing the origin and Goblins. James Bond has had multiple actors and people don't get confused.

They've gone on the record that they're skipping the origin this time around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Fraction did a fine job with the Fantastic Four. It's pretty clear he binge read the Lee/Kirby run. Plus, he was pretty much living that family dynamic. Just throw in Bendis as the Thing, and some other friend as Johnny, and you got the Fraction family.

Gotta be Zdarsky.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

greatn posted:

Maybe they can get Ryan Reynolds

Makes sense, he played him before.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fox has acquired the life rights to Stan Lee and is preparing a biopic for release in late 2017 or 2018.

If it flops, will Marvel have to wait 7 years to do a reboot of Excelsior: The Stan Lee Story? Or will Fox just keep releasing a new Stan Lee movie every decade to keep the rights?

Bonus Question: Who will play Stan Lee? I vote for Idris Elba.

I think Ike Perlmutter may have exploded when he was informed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

I read it's not actually a biopic, but a 70s action flick with Stan as the main character

Bullshit, if any comics creator should get a 70s action movie it should be Jim Steranko.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

I would kill for a 70's Buddy cup pastiche style movie (like the Good Guys) with Kirby as the bruiser and Steranko as the fast talking/get out of trouble using his smarts kind of guy.

Honestly I'm not certain that Steranko's Nick Fury wasn't directly inspired by his own life. Riding a motorcycle through a wall shirtless with a pair of huge guns seems like the kind of thing he would do.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Is Godzilla the only instance in popular fiction where multiple timelines all diverge from a common chapter of the story? Godzilla's mix of timelines shouldn't be confusing to anyone in BSS who is used to DC's reboots or Marvel's mix of 616 and Ultimate but even beyond comics I'm trying to think of stories that are reboots or remakes that still all use one story in the chain as the beginning.

I think the Terminator counts, since everything (except Genesys...maybe?) explicitly starts from the original movie (and usually the first two).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was a Fantastic Four villain, and the guy in the (purple!) Klan hood was actually Adolf Hitler.

So, yeah, an old Cap villain. :downsrim:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

The child's hand in the Logan poster is Laura

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/785637396750610433

Also Richard E. Grant is playing Zander Rice (the scientist who was the antagonist of the first X-23 miniseries). Which is kind of a shame since he would have made a great Mr Sinister.

I'm wondering how they might tie X-23 into the 'main' movies as the new Wolverine if she's only a kid in the future. I'm guessing Time Travel. (Again).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if, since the next X-Men movie is going to be set in the 90s, they'll do some kind of spin on the X-Traitor storyline, and Logan is set in the aftermath of that. Then Laura (a few years after Logan) gets sent back in time to stop the traitor (maybe with Deadpool's good buddy, Cable) and hang around with the X-Men of that era and basically replaces Logan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

The directing of Deadpool was Avengers-tier so it's no big loss but I really wonder what the creative differences were.

Guess being called An Overpaid Tool in the opening credits was too much.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

greatn posted:

Huh. Well obviously I must have been talking about the upcoming detective Pikachu movie based on the popular Pokemon series of manga comics, because obviously I wouldn't post in the wrong thread.

I can't wait to see what DeVito brings to the role.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

Just try to fit this costume into your fancy theory:

FF is a bunch of ivory tower intellectuals!

That costume is an abomination unto Kirby.

Issue:resolved. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

pee out my butt posted:

Change it to the Ocean Baiter, because he keeps baiting out Aquaman to fight him.

Ocean Baiter sounds dumb, call him the Master Baiter.

:downsrim:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm trying to figure out how they're going to use X-23 after this. Are they going to just go forward in time after Logan where she's Wolverine in that crappy world or will they send her back in time to star in subsequent X-Men movies?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

zoux posted:

Even though on paper X-23 seems like the kind of character that would suck (From a cartoon! Clone! Teen girl angst! Even MORE Wolverine) she's been used extremely well in pretty much every book I've read her in and honestly she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. From the trailer it looks like they are staying pretty close to the character, I'm glad they're bringing Laura to the movies. I'd even be cool with X-23 solo films if the character takes off in popularity.
I think they might actually wind up having her supplant Logan as the movie Wolverine rather than recasting him.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

X-23 in a movie just brings us closer to X-23 babysitting the Reed children once they unfuck the F4 in movies.

gently caress. Yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume any sale would include the contract for Spider-Man in the MCU, so it'd be safe until the terms of that contract either run out or get bought out. Plus that's assuming Disney don't buy the rights back.

Yeah, there's no way Disney wouldn't be able to outspend Fox to keep Spider-Man in-house.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Seeing as how Disney has more money than God, yeah, this would just mean they would buy the rights back.

Ooh, maybe they could buy back Spectacular Spider-Man, too!

Edit: also, holy poo poo, they're waiting until the Emoji Movie comes out because they think they might get a better price if it becomes a successful franchise. :allears: It's stuff like signing off on an Emoji Movie that got you into this mess, Sony!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BiggerBoat posted:

Who would be a good Wolverine moving forward since Jackman appears to be done. I can't think of anyone.

E; Cross posting but I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.

That depends. Do you just want to recast Logan, or have Laura become Wolverine?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

These were both on Vol. 1, so I guess they're making a return. They've also used Fox on The Run by Sweet, so this is shaping up to be another great soundtrack.

Makes sense, both of them are on Awesome Mix volume 2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I wonder if there is a subplot involving the fact that Loki now has a full-blown mullet that has been slowly growing over the last two movies.

The duality of Shaved-Thor and Mul-Loki. Yin and Yang. Brother and Blood.

'You think you've got problems? I have a MULLET, Thor!'

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

zoux posted:

Sony's conditions for keeping Spidey in the MCU is that they have to put Paul Blart on the Avengers

Finally, Blart might be able to defeat the Shadow Man who destroyed his life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Personally I'm looking forward to Sylvester Stallone, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh &...Miley Cyrus(?) in Space Expendables. Like, considering Stallone has walked away from the Expendables proper, and the star power of that cast, that's got to be something Marvel's gonna go for, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh, really? There's no reaosn Magneto has to be involved with that. Hey Fox, Guardians of the Galaxy is super popular, and X-men has a great set of space assholes in the form of the Starjammers, DO THAT! You can even do Scotts real father and his family we saw in Apocalypse was his adoptive family. Seriously, Disco Space Pirate, sexy skunk lady, robot doctor and a big lizard guy. Have Space Bird Jerks and their crazy Emperor and you got a star wars rip off with X-men.

Yeah, but people would be saying 'they're just ripping off Star Wars/Guardians'. Now granted the Starjammers predate the Guardians, but most viewers don't know that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The only - the only downside I can see to Ragnarok is that it doesn't have Beta Ray Bill, which is the one thing stopping it being peak Simonson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

His movements are beautiful.
Huh, I think I found a picture of that guy:

• Locked thread