Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Saw the movie and absolutely loved it. I came out of it with a pretty nice understanding of how both sides were right. Like Tony was right to say that they were more dangerous than Cap wanted to admit and needed some oversight. However, Cap was right that putting that oversight in the hands of some known assholes is a bad idea. The real conflict was just that neither one of them could back down. And sure it's a Captain America movie so eventually Tony starts making explicitly the wrong choices, but they had me goin there for a second. In the end Tony ended up being driven just a bit too much by his own emotion and guilt. You could argue Steve was experiencing the same thing, but he was ultimately right. Bucky was innocent and the people responsible for listening weren't interested in doing so. Whether or not he had the right to take matters into his own hands is up for debate.

The movie did such a good job of introducing Spidey and Black Panther without overdoing it. I'm just gonna echo that. Their characterization shone through, but with a sense of wanting to see more. Like a bit more than a taste, but less than a full bite. That's how you should introduce new superheroes in a group film. Now I'm really interested in seeing Black Panther. Hoping some of the Cap led Avengers (Secret Avengers? New Avengers? Great Lakes?) will cameo. Homecoming is likely to be great. There were so many things that had to be juggled and I don't feel like many were dropped in a noticeable way.

Marked so hard for Giant Man. I was wondering when they would do that with him. That entire scene, even though there were parts in the trailers, delivered. It was a good way to show off The Avengers while still keeping things focused on Cap and Bucky. Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, and a couple others were just there for the fireworks and I'm okay with that. I get the feeling this movie ended in a way that we will spend time with all of the non Cap and Iron Man people in their own movies.

Also holy poo poo did this movie get me invested. There were so many things to latch onto. It made me actually a little sad at the end when I kinda realized they couldn't all be friends again. Sure, they frame the airport as literally everyone pulling their punches, but Zemo was right when he pointed out how hard it would be to come back from what happened. Rhodey got paralyzed. Stark sent half the team to an underwater supermax prison. Bad moves all around.

Just wonderful stuff all around.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like Cap's point of contention even before Wanda was that Tony's side refused to ask any questions. You said that "What if we have to do bad things or what if we aren't allowed to do good things" is weak, but at least it's a start. It's better than diving in head first because you can see that not doing so will be a fight. The movie then goes to show why Cap is right in that regard. Not asking any questions about the motives involved is what allowed Zemo into Bucky's cell to reactivate his Winter Soldier programming and cause him to kill more people. They just captured him and hand delivered him to be interrogated by some guy because some government officials said so. Sure in the real world that's how things work, but Steve was right to wonder why Tony couldn't be bothered to try and reason. They were given the Sokovia Accords and half of the team just said "Alright, whatever". That's lazy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Cap didn't reason, but that was his idea. He went to Stark first for support. To his surprise, Tony (and his two best buddies) were already 100% in. At that point it was becoming a law and there was a "get with it or get out" kind of thing being declared. It didn't matter if Cap had a solid plan or not, he was not being listened to. Ross made that crystal clear when he ignored the evidence that Bucky was innocent. Cap's plan wasn't to put Bucky back on ice, it was Bucky's idea. Cap's entire deal was that he wanted him and all of the other heroes to have a choice. He said that many times. If Bucky had told him that he wanted the government to capture and confine him to prison then I have to imagine Cap would've let that happen as well. It's not just that Cap has some kind of leader-complex and wants to be in charge of it all. His ego is definitely part of things, but he ultimately believes that he and his friends are all good people and should therefore have the choice in what they do. He believes this because he feels like they will always choose the right thing. That's naive, but it isn't really wrong.

Also Wanda was most certainly not content to stay inside. It was made clear that Vision was forcefully keeping her at the bunker (as gently as possible) and Wanda wasn't willing to fight him to leave. Content is just a really poor word. To her it appeared that her options were fight The Vision and escape to nowhere since she had no idea where Cap was or even which Avengers were on her side or sit and wait. She sat and waited. Luckily for her, one of the Avengers that was on her side came and gave her a place to escape to and she took it at the first opportunity. No part of the movie makes it seem like she's okay with being confined. Quite the opposite in fact since a lot of her life has had her behind some kind of glass wall.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Captain America absolutely has a leader complex and doesn't believe the laws apply to him. Like that isn't even up for debate. You can argue that he's justified or not but it doesn't really matter because as long as Captain America believes he's justified than the laws don't apply to him and he has the power to enforce that. We see it at the end of the film where he breaks into the Raft to free the other Avengers. As long as he believes it then everyone else can go to hell.

I mean The Raft is interesting because at first blush it looks terrible. It's an underwater supermax prison. Except as we see at the end of the film isn't enough. Captain America is able to break in and free a group of superpowered individuals. So what if it had been a supervillain? The only reason it's 'good' is because it is Captain America but he doesn't think about how that applies to anyone else. His friends angrily grumble about being arrested and imprisoned but they openly and knowingly broke the law and at least one of them is extremely superpowered. What precisely are they supposed to do with them? Let them go? Tony even brings it up and they just get angry that he dared to arrest them for breaking the law.

Captain America is a good person but he even admits that he puts a lot of emphasis on the people he trusts and considers that more meaningful than anything else. Tony on the other hand is well aware that even people he trusts can gently caress up and make mistakes and that has consequences. Neither side is entirely correct.

Cap's whole point of contention is that the law was flawed and they weren't going to do anything about that. At least not until after it had become a law and they all conformed to it for some undefined period of time. Cap wanted to bring Bucky in alive rather than dead. That's neither illegal nor particularly wrong.

Steve's mates knew they broke the law and knew they'd end up in jail. They were pissed that it was an underwater supermax. None of them deserved that. The only one who had the ability to do anything without their tech was wearing a power inhibitor. Which apparently they have and can attach without any fight. They could have just as easily put them in a regular rear end jail cell. It was a power play on Ross' part to put them in The Raft.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Except as we saw they were a serious breakout risk. Wanda is the only one with powers but at least one of them is an expert thief, another is a former SHIELD covert ops agent and the third is an elite soldier. And we see them get rescued at the end of the film from the "power play' Raft by a single person. I'm pretty sure they can't just stick them in a holding cell down at the precinct or whatever, especially considering it has been less than a day.

That would be fine if we didn't know these guys and had no context, but we do. They came in relatively peacefully. If they had put up a serious fight, they would not have been sitting in The Raft. At least Wanda if nobody else could've leveled the poo poo. They're the good guys though and they don't do that. The only risk to them escaping was if their Big Boss came for them. As it turned out, there wasn't anything they could do about that. Which is totally Tony's point and that's the part where I see his point. They can't live in a world where having super powers means you get to do whatever you want when it suits you. However, putting all those guys in a supermax prison underwater is not the solution to that problem. Clearly.

Did you just kinda silently concede that Scarlet Witch thing?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

I thought going in that the line from the trailer "He's my friend" "So was I" was going to be the big emotional punch in the final fight, but they actually used a different take where Tony doesn't sound sad about it but more pissed about it when he says it. The line "I don't care. He killed my Mom." was the real emotional punch during that fight. That was a rough one.

Aww, that line broke my heart. It was so human and so immediately sympathetic. In a complete 180, I think the biggest laugh in my theater was Falcon interacting with Bucky. "Can you move your seat up?" "No." *Bucky awkwardly shuffles over* *Cap makes out with Sharon* *Both of his mates start giving him the "Yeaaaaaaaah" face* Then later "You couldn't have done that earlier?" "I hate you."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

And no. It's another case of there being no actual answer but people jumping to 'it's wrong' anyway. Scarlet Witch is currently, according to the film, a tremendously feared weapon of mass destruction who is being blamed for the death of 12 civilians. Her not being allowed to go to the store for some paprika isn't as simple a matter as people like to argue and the fact that Captain America has no other solution is a pretty important point. "She's a teenage girl" ignores the opening of a film is Captain America using this same girl as a soldier in a battle against terrorists which I guess is totally okay? It's actually a complex issue which Captain America doesn't give a poo poo about.

Tony should absolutely have talked to Wanda about it first and he's well in the wrong for that, but context goes both ways and the film provides a lot of context beyond "Tony was doing it for no reason." [/spoiler]

Not what I was on about. More your idea that Wanda was totally chill with her condition and Hawkeye showed up and strong armed her to leave. That's definitely not what happened in the slightest. Captain America gave a poo poo about the issue. He wanted a solution better than locking her away. Like they are constantly trying to do to Banner. Like they did with Bucky. Like they would eventually do with his other mates. The solution to super powered people in the MCU seems to be finding a deep enough hole and tossing them into it. You are harsh on Cap for not having ideas, but that's not really his job. Nor is it his point. He doesn't have to have a better idea in order to explain why the current one is bad. Tony had a reason for trying to keep Wanda away from the PR nightmare while he was trying to get all his friends pardoned. However, as you admitted, he went about it in a terrible way. Cap is helping her to get control of her powers. She's gotta do that in intense situations for it to work and since there's no Danger Room in this universe, he tried her in combat. Perhaps not the best tactic, but as you defended Iron Man with, what is the alternative?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Perhaps they could try shooting him into space.

Y'know...why wasn't Civil War about this? Since I feel like that's in the books down the line and there's no secret identities anyway. Team Iron Man is all "What if we made him gently caress off to space?" Team Cap is all "No way, Hulk is our bro!" He fits the collateral damage bill pretty hard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Raserys posted:

How did Tony know that Peter Parker was Spider-Man?

I gotta imagine once he caught news of an enhanced, he did the proper surveillance. You can't just have those running around. So one day Stark follows the Amazing Bag Man home and discovers he's a kid named Peter Parker. Or he used tech to see through the poo poo mask. Or he asked him one day while wearing a fake mustache. It's such an easy question to waffle through that you can make up whatever you want and not be too ridiculous.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

omg chael crash posted:

I love how little attention the movies pay to AoS. There are, like, 14 dudes running around the world more powerful than Spidey but welp

They get away with it by off screen shenanigans. You don't have anything to say Tony doesn't have an eye on them too. Of course, I don't watch AoS, so maybe you do. The real tragedy is that Daredevil & Friends won't get involved.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

There are also several instances where things that would normally trigger his comics Spider Sense didn't in the movie (or I suppose he simply ignored it each time?)

My understanding of his power is that if he's surrounded by danger from multiple angles he'd have a hard time pinpointing things that are immediate danger. Like while lasers and explosions and things are going on around him it's harder to register a punch from behind.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

The thing about Supergirl and DC in general you have to remember is that legacy is a bigger deal over there. At least until someone comes along that really really liked the inferior versions of the characters that have been gone for years and brings them back for some reason when the new versions are working just as good as ever.

I know Geoff Johns has done some great work, but man do I hate that guy. Barry and Hal aren't even that good. They literally never have been.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jamesman posted:

Wait no that's actually gonna be too close to the horrible cartoon where they all actually were high school kids poo poo nevermind.

Hey now, Evolution wasn't the greatest, but horrible seems a bit harsh. It had that cool X-23 episode. The Morlocks were a thing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I guess that guy hasn't seen Civil War at all. Or Deadpool. Strange.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

You've already admitted to not having an interest in DC so I'm going to guess many of their villains will be uninteresting to you. Steppenwolf is fine for a lead in to Darkseid.

I feel like it's a bit of a mighty leap to say that finding Steppenwolf uninteresting is the same as not being into the majority of DC villains. Like surely not giving a poo poo about Steppenwolf can still allow you to find Mr. Freeze tragic or Sinestro super interesting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Which of these new age adaptations of superhero films will finally embrace sidekicks? Bucky gets aged up. Robin is killed off. Speedy has been thrown out of Arrow. Twice possibly. Wally's not a thing on The Flash. Why are comics so ashamed of their own history?

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of big threats you still haven't seen Braniac, Eclipse, Trigon, Amazo, they could dig up dumbasses like ~IMPERIEX-PRIME~ and of course there's the Injustice League

I have to ask. Who the hell is Eclipse?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, Dark Knight was excellent and all but most of the MCU is fairly 'better' than Begins and Rises.

Yeah, there's a meme floating around comparing the Nolan trilogy to Cap's trilogy. Captain America wins that one pretty clearly from my point of view.

Toxxupation posted:

Let's rewind time to 2008, and list the ten most famous superhero characters at that time, that have a strong enough name to sell movie tickets due to the inherent appeal. Wonder Woman would easily be in the top five, arguably in the top three (depending on how Spider-Man and Wolverine place). Iron Man, I would argue, would not make that list.

Top 3 is a hell of a stretch. There's no way Wonder Woman edges out Spider-Man and Wolverine in 2008. Maybe 1970.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 13, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Eh, Fair. Either way my point is she's easily the only female character on the list, would place in a position where she would follow solely characters who had already gotten or were about to get solo movies (and would place above characters who had already gotten solo movies, like the Hulk). She's really, really recognizable. You might argue that's solely iconography but that's more the point. She works perfectly for a stand-alone movie because everyone knows who she is, but nobody knows who she is.

I'll admit that it's difficult for me to flash my brain back to 2008, but I can't say that I still really see much Wonder Woman merch. She's not in any of the kids cartoons anymore to my knowledge. She doesn't have a TV show. I guess what I'm thinking is sure, everyone here knows WW. Everyone that's at least old enough to have watched the DCAU knows Wonder Woman. Do the masses know her? That would've been debatable until very recently. You are right in that she's the go-to female superhero. Where does Catwoman rank? She had a movie around that time did she not?

ImpAtom posted:

Because having an underequipped teenage boy fighting murderous supervillains is a relic of a bygone era that looks really hosed up on film unless you age them up or make it something cartoony or lighthearted

Edit: And even in that era it was "Robin is trapped in a giant pie" and not "Turns out he was molested by Dr. Light."

An autocorrect of Eclipso.

But like even aged up Bucky and Roy get kicked off the show before long. And they didn't shy away from kid Robin in BvS, they just killed him so the writers wouldn't have to deal with him. Nolan threw his hands up at Robin, but threw a wink in at the end of Rises. Robin's been around like...I dunno, a few months shy of Batman's own debut? He's every bit as iconic as the man himself. It bothers me that no film maker wants to touch him in the past decade plus. It might just be my personal soapbox since I love Nightwing. It just comes off like laziness to me. "Oh, I can't think of a way to make Robin grimdark, so we'll just not. Or we'll kill him. Or he'll be a 30 year old cop." You could do it and nobody would even bat an eye. It's comics. I mean you say it's a relic of a bygone era, but there isn't a soul alive that enters a Batman movie and doesn't already buy Robin on some level. There can't be very many people who are even alive that could know of a Batman without Robin. So if audiences are already down for it on some level, why not lean into it?

And a Wikipedia search reveals that I don't know Eclipso either, so should I turn in my DC fan card to your or....

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

There are tons of people who know Robin. The key is that Robin is hard to do well when you're aiming for even slightly a realistic movie.

Like look at Civil War. Tony Stark grabbing Spider-Man is a fun moment but it trends on the side of hosed up the entire time. Everyone treats Tony as kind of weird for bringing a kid along and Tony panics and sends him home at the first sign of trouble. Spider-Man acting as a hero on his own vs Spider-Man acting as a hero at the behest of an adult presents very different images and Civil War had to work to get around that with a character who is objectively a superpowered badass only fighting guys who have no real interest in hurting him.

Now imagine Robin in the Nolanverse where he is a 14-16 year old boy with no superpowers being given a suit of armor and send to fight guys who have a moderate success rate at beating the poo poo out of ninja-trained competent Bruce Wayne. There is no time or place that wouldn't result in everyone both in-film and out-of-film calling Wayne a complete monster. Even B:TAS veers towards criticism of Bruce Wayne's wards and Tim Drake ends up ruined by the Joker in the film and is another of Batman's main failures.

The danger of the universe is defined by the writer. If they engineer a universe where Ninja Rich Boy is only ever in mild danger, they could do the same for Flippy Teenager. Dick generally ends up every bit as ninja'd as Bruce by the time Bruce lets him out of the cave. They could go with an origin where he's one of the I'M NOT WEARING HOCKEY PADS and Bats decides to give him proper training. I think I brought up the age thing more than I meant to. I don't mind if they want to make Robin 21 or whatever age is appropriate to jump off of buildings. I just want him to exist in any capacity whatsoever.

I never got the impression in Civil War that Tony grabbing Spidey was meant to be seen as hosed up or super weird. He brought him in to fight Captain fuckin America. And Spidey was actually whipping the rear end of literally everyone on Team Cap for a while. The kid took a hard hit and at that point Tony was like "Job well done, head home." He sent all of Team Tony home at that point though. And all of Team Cap to jail.

I'm okay if Alfred calls Batman on it, but "it's weird" isn't an excuse to not do something in a comic book movie. Unless it's like incredibly off putting. Robin isn't that far. Perhaps my axe to grind is that "realistic" and "comicbook movie" is a forced marriage that should be annulled.

theflyingorc posted:

In no way would she have been top 3. I agree that Iron Man wouldn't have been there, but:
Superman
Batman
Spider-Man (l literally saw a VH1 countdown show that had him at the #1 spot in like 2006. Wish I could remember the rest)
Wolverine
Hulk
Would all easily beat her, and in 2008 the Fantastic Four were pretty strong in people's memories. And again, I can barely tell you anything about Wonder Woman THE CHARACTER, even though I've read dozens of her comics. Her position in the public consciousness is basically "the one that is a girl." Showing her going toe-to-toe with Doomsday is about a good a signal to the public "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PERSON" as you're going to get.

Superman, Batman, Spidey, The X-Men in general, Hulk, The Fantastic Four.....Blade? Blade. Ghost Rider. There have been a poo poo load of comic book movies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I find the assessment that Iron Man did this ultra weird manipulation of Spider-Man odd. He didn't lie to him or trick him. He said "Hey, Cap and his friends are breaking the law and I need help stopping them before other people hurt them or before they hurt someone on accident." He asked Spider-Man to help him fight literal crime. That's not really a Batman Gambit. I could understand the line of thinking if Spidey was on Team Cap since that would've required a longer story on Steve's part, but he was on Team Iron Man. That's not a really long conversation. Just what they had in the bedroom and then the flight to the airport. Captain America was breaking the law. I wouldn't call that a cause that the kid knows nothing about. Sure from our point of view it's much more complex than that, but in-universe it really isn't. I say that as someone who leaned more towards Cap by the end than Iron Man, but Tony wasn't wrong at that point in the film. Nor did he use his craft and wit to manipulate a child into doing something shady. "You think you're right when you're not and that makes you dangerous" is about as much motivation as I would expect a superhero to need. Even if that fight is against another hero.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say he is unless you use a very cartoonish atmosphere. There is a reason so many Batman stories involving Robin ends with a bad ending for Robin and a black mark for Batman. A teenage boy with no superpowers sent to fight murderers is actually pretty hosed up. Robin is a legacy character so he isn't going away but outside of Brave and the Bold-style action it is really weird when Batman asks a 14 year old boy to dodge bullets.

That reason is because the easiest and laziest way to inject drama and DARK AND MATURE into an alternate universe (or main canon sometimes) Batman story is to kill off the one in bright colors. That reason is not because Robin is any more outlandish or cartoony than Batman. Not inherently at least. Robin's been in his fair share of serious storylines. He isn't just the Teen Titans cartoon incarnate. You know that. Like I said, he doesn't have to be a teenage boy. He could be 22 considering they made Batfleck like 45 or some poo poo. That's a good age gap and it removes "Well it's a little silly" if you happen to think that way. You can join the army at 18, gently caress it, make him that.

theflyingorc posted:

It's also weird as hell that Tony recruited him instead of, y'know, Jessica Jones.

You cannot possibly believe that "I was hypnotized for years to do horrible things" wouldn't immediately sympathize with "I was hypnotized for years to do horrible Russian things" and tell Tony to gently caress off. Daredevil would've been his best choice. Though even that would be shaky I think for Matt to get down with. He'd probably prefer to just stay out of it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

If Spiderman had been told the whole story from Tony I think he'd be conflicted about joining Cap's side as well. it's all about how Tony frames his recruitment speech.

The only part of the story that would endear someone to Cap's side is the knowledge that Bucky is actually 100% innocent and he's being framed. Not only that, but there's a shoot to kill order on him, so he doesn't even have much of a chance to prove his innocence or that he's being controlled. The problem is that Tony himself doesn't know any of that. And he only doesn't know about that because Steve outright refused to tell him, because he didn't think he would believe him. You make it sound as if Tony had that knowledge and purposefully left it out in order to recruit Spider-Man, but that's not what happened. From his standpoint, Bucky killed the poo poo out of a lot of people and Cap's defending him solely because they used to be friends.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

There's that whole bit that by refusing the Accords they will get locked up. I really don't think Spidey would be cool having Cap locked away.

"He's wrong but thinks he's doing the right thing" is purposefully vague and manipulative. There's no way to make an informed decision with that information. "If Tony thinks he's wrong then I should take his word for it!" is basically what Spidey does, because he's young and naive. The issue is far more complex then Tony implies with his statement.

That's not what the deal was. Refusing the Accords meant they had to stop being superheroes. Aiding and abetting a wanted mass murderer is what got them tossed into the Raft. I can't imagine Spidey would really disagree with that. Or at least feel his voice is big enough to disagree with that as a relatively new superhero kid with no experience. I'm saying Spidey wouldn't have been okay if the deal was "Agree with this law or go to jail" but since that wasn't the deal, that's a moot point.

I highly doubt "He's not right" is the extent of the conversation they had. I'm sure Tony said more to him than that offscreen. He didn't just say the "thinks he's right when he's not" line and Spidey jumped into action. The simplest "Cap is breaking the law" is enough information.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

He should probably read and look into that thing he demands everyone sign and be apart of.

You're over-vilifying Tony. It feels like we're talking about the comic Civil War. Why would the Sokovia Accords have anything about imprisoning the heroes? Ross answered Cap when he asked about refusing. "You retire." That doesn't mean "You go to jail." Again, it was Cap beating up the German police and protecting a wanted murderer that got his crew tossed in jail. It had literally 0 to do with the Sokovia Accords. That part of the plot is just for the Zemo and Wanda stuff. The big fight was all about Bucky. Two concurrent plotlines basically.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Eh! Frank posted:

Looks like it's time for me to check out of this thread. I haven't had a chance to see Civil War yet, and it appears people are slowly starting to discuss final act plot details without spoiler tags.

Holy poo poo, I forgot that it's only been out for about a week. I apologize. If mods wanna throw my poo poo in the trash, I will raise no objections.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Iron Man manipulation thing is wildly overblown. If that's what you got out of the scene, power to you, but that's not what the movie was getting across at all. I feel like people who look at it that way are underestimating how wrong Cap was in the eyes of everyone else. He broke the law. He fought the police. He was protecting a murderer. Those are things deserving of a smack upside the head.

X-O posted:

To go back to something discussed earlier in the thread, having a teen sidekick in a live action movie seems like a weird move and has obviously been avoided by people making movies for a reason. A Batman that actually gets a young teen involved in a his exploits in a violent universe like the one set up in the DC movies would be really messed up. The Robin suit in the movie clearly wasn't a child's suit so I'm assuming they knew that. I mean I can see maybe a late teen like an 17 or 18 year old but the traditional 14 or 15 year old sidekick would just be completely out of place. This changes a little bit when the kid has powers of their own like a Spider-Man but even then in Civil War it's obviously presented as Tony did something desperate and dumb by bringing a kid into this fight and he realizes it at the end. And that was one of the more powerful people in the fight. A young teen Bucky or Robin makes no sense in the movie universes we've seen so far.

It's just not as weird as I think people are making it sound. Rather, I think if a movie had the guts to just do it and tacked a well-written story on it, people would say "Wow that was an awesome movie" and save the "Wow, that kid thing was troubling" for blogs a few weeks after the fact. I mean if they did it and it was poo poo that'd be different, but the concept isn't that odd. Even so, like I said, 18 is fine. I'm curious as to why they wouldn't just do that instead of killing them off.

theflyingorc posted:

It is weird and awkward that Tony's plan was "RECRUIT EXACTLY ONE MORE GUY FOR MY SIDE". Made no real effort to find Thor or Hulk, or anyone at all who has appeared on Agents of SHIELD.

Also, am I crazy, or was Nick Fury's absence really noticeable?

He has no way to contact Asgard. The only way he can get Thor is if Thor shows up and wants to help. He asked about Hulk and Widow was like "Honestly he might join Team Cap, so you should probably not." They bothered to explain it. I think ultimately Tony was hoping Cap would just back down. Plus Widow grabbed T'Challa, that's two. I weirdly didn't notice that Fury wasn't present. The Russos said they would explain it and I believe them, but in retrospect I'm glad he was. He would've had all the answers and solved the central conflict like he did before.

Oh Christ.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh I wasn't commenting on that bit. Just letting SonicRulez know that he can watch a movie that earnestly portrays the hero/sidekick dynamic with a sidekick portrayed around 17-18.

Batman Forever isn't from this decade though.

Toxxupation posted:

Wait, duh guys.

It's Adonis Creed, challenging T'Challa of Wakanda to a boxing match. Of course.

The single greatest movie of all time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

Is that something stipulated in a prior post over this topic? Real question.

SonicRulez posted:

It bothers me that no film maker wants to touch him in the past decade plus.

That plus was meant to encompass Begins and the "new age" superhero movies. Not 1995. I can see how a plus is ambiguous though.

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if Captain America will show up in Black Panther to allow us to have a fight between two Human Torches.

I have to imagine that somebody will be in Black Panther. There's like 8 Avengers hiding out in Wakanda. It won't make any sense to me if there's not some kind of cameo.

Travis343 posted:

Robin should be in a Batman movie but Batman movies should stop being oppressively grim and/or realistic

That'd be nice. What an incredible concept.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

I'm once again reminded of that terrible Operation: Galactic Storm fighting game where there were 8 playable characters and only four of them were Avengers. They were Captain America, Black Knight, Thunderstrike and Crystal. Guys like Thor and Iron Man got stuck as assists.

A Youtube search says that was also the name of one of the episodes of the excellent Avengers EMH cartoon. It was a reference the whole time, who knew. Watching the first video I found with Cap gameplay and it's really interesting to see some of his moves ended up in Marvel vs Street Fighter and all the games that came afterwards. Or Infinity Stones. Whichever came first.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

fun Snyder movies

I think it's really nice that you can still dare to dream.

Toxxupation posted:

For the X-Men thing, I'm guessing that FOX is betting that Sophie Turner's the Next Big Thing (for good reason), and might be considering using its more Cosmic elements that it's owned but never used like the Shi'ar and Badoon and Skrulls and Gladiator and poo poo. Could also, maybe, be FOX trying to follow Cosmic MCU's lead? Maybe?

I know it's Jean, so all of her stories will always be on a timer of "How long til it gets Phoenixy" but I wish they would hesitate. We don't have to go there every time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm having a tough time believing Apocalypse is really that bad. I don't remember raving about First Class or DoFP, but I liked them both enough. It seems really odd for Apocalypse to outright suck. I'd be happy with esignificantly less Mystique. I can't think of a single thing she's done in these movies that justifies her being the centerpiece of the plot. I may not like the guy much, but they should just put Cyclops and Jean and those guys in the front for a minute. People have a hard enough time as it is to believe that there were X-Men comics before Wolverine.

BrianWilly posted:

There were some genuinely great, well-executed moments in DoFP. The conversation between old Xavier and young Xavier...the idea that Charles Xavier is such a powerful telepath because of his capacity for empathy and hope and not because he can control your brain or whatever...is one of the best-written Xavier anythings I've ever seen.

My favorite X moment is just when he's explaining why his powers don't work. "It's not here, it's..." and he gestures to his heart. That worked.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

They've already done it with the Daredevil family, Ghost-Rider

Wait, could we get a Netflix Ghost Rider? That'd be cool. Where's Blade at? Maybe put them together if they're afraid they won't get over. Granted if Jessica Jones managed it with no issue, they can probably do whoever at this point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So we let the bullshit Cage movies go away for anyone who still remembers it and let Wesley Snipes get in a position to cameo and then we launch Ghost Rider and Blade. Like immediately. Horror Marvel can be pretty cool.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CzarChasm posted:

I think a Blade series could work, but I think part of the success would be because Blade's rogues are basically: Vampires, Dracula, Succubi (aka Sex Vampires), and maybe the occasional werewolf. That's great. Buffy the Vampire slayer did that for a decade. Drop the Whedon-isms and the family angle and it could work

Ghost Rider has maybe three villains? Blackheart, Mephisto and some other hell demon. I think again, staying generic would be better. I just don't really get Ghost Rider, so I would have no interest in a series with him. Now that I think about it, when is the last time GR was involved in any major event that was not the Secret Wars from last year. He wasn't in Civil War or Siege, or Secret Invasion that I recall. Was it a WW Hulk tie-in?

I couldn't name a Moon Knight villain, but I think the guy that leaves him for dead in his origin might be a recurring character. If you gave me a palette swapped bastard child of Batman and Punisher, who focuses on dismantling the local crime syndicates, I might tune in.

I don't know if any of them could support their own series, but maybe an anthology (Marvel Knights) where each character gets an episode or two, but tie them into an overarching story. Maybe MK is investigating some drug runners and he stumbles across some gangsters that don't stay down like normal. Blade pops in and says it's vampires, so he's in just to kill them all, and...gently caress it! I don't care about Ghost Rider. He shows up because the local vampire king has Hell powers or he's going to open a portal to Hell and free Blackheart. And he has to piss fire to close the portal or something.

Ghost Rider definitely showed up during WWH. He decided Hulk was right and immediately left. A Marvel Knights anthology would be fine, but the idea that they can't have shows because you can't name their villains is a bit silly. I think most comic book fans would be hard pressed to name several villains for Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. We're not exactly dealing with Batman and Spider-Man here.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CelticPredator posted:

True, It's already the best film in the franchise.

It's not even the best Iron Man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's the second best individual movies.

Still no. Even if you disqualify Guardians and Cap 3.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CharlestheHammer posted:

What is better? Iron Man 1? loving Thor?

Also it's better than Guardians by a mile.

Both Iron Man 1 and Guardians. I'd probably even watch Thor before I watched IM3 again if I had the choice between the two. Ant-Man. Literally all 3 Cap movies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

I'd watch the first Thor over almost any of the Iron Man films. Though I don't think I'd watch the second one at all.

That's where I arrived. Like I wanted to say Thor 2, but I know drat well I'll never watch that again unless my life is on the line in some kind of Saw situation. I don't remember hardly anything happening in that movie. It wasn't bad, it was just nothing. Like drinking a glass of room temperature water.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know Geoff Johns has written good things, but he has a very narrow view of how characters should do stuff and my experience with him is that he'll bin anyone or anything that doesn't fit with that. In a movie universe where they're likely to use Barry Allen and Hal Jordan anyway I'm not sure I see any harm. Now if we had already had a Wally West movie in the books then I'd be worried.

Plastik posted:

So I watched Fant4stic tonight. I had heard some criticisms but mostly avoided them, and I rather like the First Family so I thought I'd give it a shot before Fant4stic 2 got officially greenlit, given that article that got posted a couple pages ago.

Holy poo poo this movie.

In your opinion, what went wrong? Feed me negativity.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Geoff Johns is bad because he writes about the characters he remembers instead of the ones I remember.

That's a reductive way of looking at things. My issue with that mindset is that I want him to write about the characters as they are presently. Not the ones that he remembers or the ones that I remember. I'm sick of reset buttons, granted I'm in the wrong medium if that's my axe to grind. It sets a bad precedent. He likes Hal Jordan, so he reboots Green Lantern to put him at the helm again. All that means is a few years later when they get a new guy on who grew up with Kyle Rayner, everything has to get trashed again to make it fit. You should try to be more objective.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MrAristocrates posted:

There's a rumor that John Boyega might be in Black Panther now, holy poo poo.

As....the dude from Star Wars? Is that feasible?

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern is a bad example, because nothing has to change to focus on a new one.

Unlike Ron Marz, Geoff Johns didn't turn Kyle Rayner into a cackling genocidal maniac so it doesn't even require any retcons to just decide Green Lantern is going to focus on someone else now. It's even happened a few times.

Well I could've chosen The Flash, but I felt that would be beating a dead horse. Pretend I used Wally and Barry then. As long as you know what I was on about, the discussion can continue.

Let's just talk about Geoff Johns until the BvS goes back into its coffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Wally didn't go anywhere either though. They could have easily flipped that switch too, until DC decided he never existed anymore.

Although we don't know how much of that decision was his.

Wally didn't literally pop out of existence (until he did) but we were left with a universe where he was no longer The Flash. Not like he could go back to being Kid Flash. He was displaced as the main character of a series that was doing pretty great. My issue is that I like the DC Universe to feel progressive and moving forward. It separates it from Marvel which is always kinda trapped in the present. Whenever the heroes retake their mantle from their successor it feels like a big step back. Geoff Johns feels like a step back to me.

• Locked thread