Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With Rhodey saying at the end that despite everything he still thinks signing the accords was the right thing to do and Steve's letter outright saying that as long as Tony sincerely thought the accords were the best option he was right for signing it, I think we're supposed to think both Cap and Iron Man were "right" or at least not wrong about their positions. Like, I think it's wrong to think the accords were 100% the wrong decision (even though the whole thing with the raft was lovely of them. But i was never clear if that was mostly Ross' idea rather than the assembly) or that Cap was 100% unreasonable.

It's mostly the things surrounding the accords that people make bad decisions on. Tony probs should not have kept Wanda on house arrest without even telling her that was happening. And before this all happened Cap probably should have told Tony about his parent's deaths. And that in general both sides should have been more willing to talk this out and listen to each other, with that being more on Tony since he didn't trust Cap about Bucky. But Cap himself didn't even bother to try and sort things out with the pro-reg side until they showed up and told him to stand down.

Basically though. all the Avengers end up seeming more "right" to me than Cap and Tony. Who are the main people who personally make bad decisions that end up affecting everyone throughout.

Edit: Their bad decisions make sense for them though. And they remain generally sympathetic which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

There might be that, but I think Zemo was reasonably confident that even the best non-Avengers, non-superhuman squads wouldn't be able to kill Bucky. Remember his "more powerful men than me have tried to kill the Avengers" spiel, and I think he would think of Bucky as the same fundamental class of being as Cap and the rest. And he knew Cap would be there to protect Bucky, anyway.

Yeah. Basically, I think Zemo had the utmost confidence all the Avengers would succeed in whatever they were trying to do. He's absolutely sure they can defeat any enemy and overcome any obstacle, which is why he set up this plan in the first place. Since he could only imagine the Avenger's killing each other. So I see it as no surprise at all that he believed Cap would definitely save Bucky and that Bucky would definitely be able to avoid dying.

He did get pretty lucky with his whole plan though. Because Cap and Tony were already on the outs with each other and many circumstances in the film that Zemo did not set up pushed them further against each other. So by the time they all met up in Russia, a lot of groundwork had already been laid for the fight.

• Locked thread