Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well here's something I never saw coming. Adam McKay will direct the movie adaptation of Irredeemable for FOX based on Mark Waid's great comic. I had no idea this was even picked up for a movie.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Boone, the writer/director of the upcoming New Mutants film seemingly confirmed which characters are going to comprise the team on Instagram. Those would be Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Magik, Dani Moonstar, and Warlock.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the rumor was that New Mutants takes place closer in time to the late '80s or early '90s. Deadpool takes place in the current day on the timeline so NTW wouldn't even be alive during the time of the movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Opopanax posted:

I always saw him as Ryan Kwanten

I had no clue who that was so I looked him up and he's 40, so probably not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

Instead of Siegel and Shuster coming up with Superman it flashes to Snyder directing Batman v Superman. Grim 'n gritty.

Man, that would literally kill Waid in his seat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No he would be dead slumped over in the seat. That is the thing that would finally take him out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Has anyone seen Cap in Imax? If so is it worth it? Or is it like AOU where the opening scene looks cooler and everything else looks normal?

I believe they said the entire airport scene was shot in imax, as a test since they're shooting all of Infinity War in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm about 15 minutes away from leaving for my theater, it's literally a 5 minute walk from the house, but I'm expecting the same considering they've added three more showings in the last hour.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

Winter Soldier had a 95M opening weekend.
Avengers had 207M.
BvS had 166M.
Star Wars had 248M.

Civil War already broke the pre-sale record BvS set.

Over or under: 205M opening weekend

In going to guess somewhere around Age of Ultron, plus or minus five million. I'm leaning that it won't break $200M. The packed theater I'm sitting in 20 minute ms before showtime makes me rethink that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I went in staunchly and unabashedly Team Cap and thought there was no way I would change that. I came out either on Team Panther or maybe even Team Wanda. Hell possibly even on Team Zemo.

I feel Steve was right in theory but wrong in practice. And Tony was wrong in theory but right in practice. Which is not how I expected to see it at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

Does Spider-Man stay on Team Iron Man or does he switch sides? I don't want to see it until I know that one spoiler. :shobon:

Team Iron Man. Until Tony benches him and sends him home after he gets banged up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

Well that's dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

Look, if I'm wrong and the Cinematic Iron Man and his side is totally different from the Comic Book one then I will apologize to anyone I offended, but I don't think it's ridiculous for me to look at a movie that's supposedly based on a comic story, with the same title even, and presume it's the same basic premise.

Probably just go see the movie and stop making incorrect assumptions. That would be the best course of action.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sanschel posted:

Did they ever address who hired Crossbones and what the bioweapon he stole was? Are we to assume that was also orchestrated by Zemo with the intent that either Rumlow's explosion or one of the heroes would cause massive loss of life leading to the formation of the Accords, or was that more of a happy accident Zemo took advantage of and the Crossbones/toxin plot is a dangling thread to hopefully be expounded upon in the future?

Also, I straight up thought we'd get a shot of Abomination in the Raft, even if just on a monitor in the backround.

I got the impression that Rumlow was just a separate thread with his own agenda. It also got the Wakandans involved which Zemo seemed actually regretful about at the end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought going in that the line from the trailer "He's my friend" "So was I" was going to be the big emotional punch in the final fight, but they actually used a different take where Tony doesn't sound sad about it but more pissed about it when he says it. The line "I don't care. He killed my Mom." was the real emotional punch during that fight. That was a rough one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Another thing is, that I went to a first showing so of course a ton of people were wearing Marvel related shirts and I saw the expected Spider-Man and Iron Man shirts and all but overwhelmingly more people were wearing shirts of Captain America. And yeah it was his name in the title, but I was kind of surprised by the sheer number of them. Like for every three comic shirts I saw I'd say two were Cap shirts. I guess I just didn't realize how much these movies have raised his profile in the minds of the fans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Thursday night box office for Civil War was 25 million.

Experts seem split on what that means for total weekend box office, with some projecting as low as 180 million and some projecting as high as 215. Really huge range, to be quite honest.

Unless it does way bigger than expected on the weekend the high end is insane. It'll probably land somewhere right around Age of Ultron and not too far above or below which was what I expected. I'm not sure where these 210+ projections are coming from. I think maybe with Jurassic World, Star Wars, and Deadpool defying predictions people honestly don't know what's going to happen anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it'll be a good haul if it does Avengers money but the truth is even though it has those characters it still doesn't have Avengers name and that actually makes more of a difference than people think. I still think the best bet is somewhere around 185-195M. I think 200M is unlikely. In fact I'd think it more likely that it would do lower, around 170-180M, than doing over 200M.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well on that logic Ultron and Batman v Superman both had more come in on Thursday night previews, so I'd expect it to be less than both opening weekends if you want to judge by that metric.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Actually Widow's the one who says the latter line. And it's a little dubious. The Hulk might not be that easy to control. But Banner would 900%, absolutely, no questions be on the side of the Accords.

I don't think so. I think Banner would absolutely retire rather than let the someone else control the Hulk. He'd just completely disappear.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At this point it might just edge out Iron Man 3 for third best opening. Probably 175-180M. I knew the 200M talk was absolute nonsense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SirDan3k posted:

I never buy the estimates. I also don't get them, it's two whole days to wait why do sites even bother? I doubt the studios use them.

Tracking estimates are the estimates that have been wildly off as of late. Weekend estimates during the weekend are usually pretty close to the mark.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lomzus posted:

$95.8m China opening (that's what BvS did in its entire run.)

That's not really that surprising. Batman v Superman pretty much bombed in China after the first day. Even Ant-Man ended up making more there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Also I might have missed it but was it ever explained how Zemo knew Bucky killed Papa and Mama Stark

He didn't know everything for sure until he got into the cell with Winter Soldier and activated him. He only had suspicions from the Hydra/SHIELD document leak. He says he was able to decrypt parts of it it but not all. With the info he is able to decrypt he tracks down the Hydra agent and tries to get the mission info from him but it doesn't work. Then his plans turn to Bucky whom he found out how to control through the red book. So he knew if he could get access to Bucky he could get the info he needed. He frames Bucky in order to bring him out of hiding and get access to him and learns the info he needs. In fact the first thing he asks Bucky after having him under control is what exactly went down on that mission. The bombing of the UN probably would have never even taken place if that Hydra agent had just given up the info. The only info he knows for sure is that Bucky is Winter Soldier and he's pretty sure that it was Winter Soldier who killed Stark's parents. He has to connect all the dots from there. And he's pretty sure once he does that will put Steve and Tony at odds, and it does.

Then his plan turns to getting Stark and Rogers together for the info to be played out. He gets Cap and Bucky to think he's activating more Winter Soldiers so that they come to find him. Then he calls the hotel and has the room service discover the body which leads to Tony discovering who he is and finding him. This brings them all together so that he can reveal everything to them. Whether or not more Avengers would have come with Tony or Steve is inconsequential because at that point they're divided anyway as far as he knew and it could have resulted in even more chaos.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think Zemo knew about Black Panther though. Even though he was on Tony's side, he wasn't really. He had his own agenda and for a time it matched up with Starks. As soon as he figured it out he was on his own. BP could have tried to intervene between Cap and Tony, but probably realized that they had to finish it, or they'd never really finish it. [spoiler]

Something i keep seeing people confused about [spoiler] is how Steve knew. Uh Widow gave him that file on Winter Soldier, and straight up said "you're not going to like what you find" so it could be there. Or even when Zola was showing him his power point presentation

For your second point, Steve definitely finds out that Tony's parents were killed by Hydra from Zola. It's assumed that he probably figured from there that it was Bucky's doing but we can figure out from the events of this movie that it was never explicitly stated in the info that Widow dug up, that's why Zemo had to track down Bucky to confirm it. He even told the Hydra agent that he didn't want to have to get Bucky involved. I got the feeling from Zemo that even he had sympathy for Bucky and would have left him in hiding but he did what he to do to him in order to get to Steve and Tony. His plan to tear Steve and Tony apart didn't really require Bucky to be present, just for Stark to want Bucky dead.

AnonSpore posted:

What language do T'Chaka and T'Challa speak to each other? Is it an actual African language or is it "Wakandan" and it just sounds similar to actual languages?

I think I read it was actually Xosa that was used. It's a South African language. The actor that played T'Chaka speaks it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I really like Natasha's fighting style in the movies, utterly brutal and based around the fact that she's generally smaller than most of her opponents. Who ever does her stunt work is really good too, very fast and violent.

The lady that does her stunt work had a cameo in the film. As the female Winter Soldier. Same with Cap's and Falcon's doubles. In fact Cap's double is named Josef which is undoubtedly a little nod to Red Guardian the Soviet Super Soldier from the comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm happy someone realized that maybe it's a bit unlikely for a 16 year old kid to have a 70 year old aunt. Hell my oldest aunt is just hitting 60 next year and I'm way past 16.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

My youngest cousin (14) has a 60 year old aunt (my mom). Sometimes families are weird like that, especially larger ones, though I realize that's not the case for Spider-Man.

That's why I said unlikely and not impossible. One of my friends is actually only a year younger than his uncle due to a similar situation, but that's far from the norm I'd imagine. For the average person I'd imagine they'd have aunts and uncles 20-30 years older. Marisa Tomei looks quite a bit younger than her age of 51 so that would be about in that range.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Angela - Almost no chance
Valkyrie - Possibly in Thor 3
Tigra - Ha
Moondragon - Nope
Quasar - Doubtful
Crystal - Depends on the Inhumans movie
Medusa - Depends on the Inhumans movie
Spider-Woman - Possibly, but not likely with that name
Silk - Doubtful
Enchantress - Possibly in Thor 3, if not then it's too late
Firestar - Not MCU
Spectrum - Doubtful
Kate Bishop - Doubtful
Misty Knight - Already in the Netflix shows
Squirrel Girl - No way
Ms. Marvel - Very possible in several years
Arana/Spider-Girl - No way

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MacheteZombie posted:

Marvel choosing to not use their female superheroes is not a good excuse for not having them.

I'm saying most of those specific characters don't warrant use because they're either superfluous to each or other heroes. You're really going to count female spider hero as three separate entries? One of which even people that read comics would be hard pressed to recognize? Also Moondragon, Tigra, and Squirrel Girl are serious options? Nobody at all cares about the first two and the last one is literally a joke.

The only real contenders on that list are Valkyrie, The three Inhumans, Jessica Drew and a very outside shot on Kate. Misty Knight is already taken, Enchantress is a villain, and Firestar is a mutant.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squirrel Girl could work as a cartoon, something akin to a Pixar movie. It would never work in the MCU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

But the talking raccoon, that's okay.

Yes, that character as it exists is not one big ongoing joke. Squirrel Girl's whole thing is that she has the lamest powers ever conceived and that she can beat anyone with them. That's a joke premise and would not work in an actual movie.

She-Hulk would be great, but she's also a derivative character and her rights likely are the same as Hulk's in that they can't do a solo movie with her without jumping through hoops.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The problem is that most of Marvel's great current great female characters are either tied up with other studios (X-Men, Sue Storm, She-Hulk, Spider-Women), on TV (Jessica Jones, Hellcat, Misty Knight, Elektra, Mockingbird), derivative (Rescue, Thor, Spider-Women, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel), or they already have plans going forward (Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Valkyrie). Hell I'd love a Spectrum or Elsa Bloodstone movie just as much as the next guy because those characters are great. But is that feasible? I don't think so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I could actually see them doing the Blade movie with the teenage female Blade like that the comic that disappeared into the ether was going to do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Marvel Studios has Hulk rights, just not distribution rights.

That's why they haven't made a solo movie and likely won't. Also they seem to think Hulk is a risky property and not worth the trouble of dealing with it. So I'd imagine that as well goes for She-Hulk.

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought that was rumored to be the basis for a Netflix series.

That would work fine as well, but it could work for a movie too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Also, not related to this conversation, but my current favorite rumor from the MCU offices is that they keep joking about wanting to make a Squadron Supreme movie.

They should just skip that and make it The Great Society to make it even more thinly veiled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The biggest hurdle to getting a lot of these female heroes is also the biggest hurdle for new male and female superheroes in comics. They're all either derivative of other heroes or are legacy characters. The original ones that don't fall into that category, or that are derivative of characters that don't matter like Tigra, Moondragon, Thundra, White Tiger, Songbird, Miss America, or Elsa Bloodstone is that these characters really couldn't really make it as solo characters in comics much less in movies. That's not to say there's not a way to make them work in movies, but there's no incentive to try from business point of view. You don't make movies out characters that barely make waves in the comics. That's why you're also never going to see a Nova, Red Wolf, Starbrand, Spider-Man 2099 movie or solo movies for characters like Hawkeye and Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Has Ant-Man made more "waves in the comics" than Hawkeye?

Ant-Man started as a nearly ten year passion project by one person before the MCU was ever an idea. The only reason it wasn't canned when he walked was because it was too late.

• Locked thread