Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Heathen posted:

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

My mom has established a tradition, starting with Avengers, where my sister and I take her to a Marvel movie every Mother's Day, because there's almost always one happening. She loves them. We get pizza after. It's a great tradition.

My gf was the one who convinced me to take her to Deadpool for Valentine's Day. She's been a long time fan and I was reticent cause I was worried the movie would reek of sloppy tryhard, but as soon as those opening credits rolled, I knew she'd made the right choice.

I'm probably taking a pass on X-Men and waiting to rent it.

I think your demographic assumptions may be off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mycot posted:

You forgot putting Chris Evans in extremely tight shirts.

I get a little gayer with each Marvel movie

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

On the other hand...if they don't answer to politicians then who do they answer to? What comprises their oversight? Are there any oversights for the Avengers? Do they seriously have no oversight at all? That's insane as well.

Dr. Manhattan or maybe Ozymandias.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Kids love Venom for some reason, so they're certainly going to try to do something with him.

He's a scary inky goop monster who has powers similar to Spidey, what's not to love?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I think i can deal with this so far...

This looks great and I think she's a brilliant choice, but it's all for nothing if they don't give her the haircut.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

He can be an up-his-own-rear end media mogul that's slightly older than Parker, super sure of himself, abrasive and constantly getting in the way of the Bible's success.

I love what autocorrect has done here

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in total agreement with BotL on this.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah based on the commercials. I really like the look more each time I see it, his voice is really good, especially the laugh, and he seems genuinely a little scary.

That dude seems about as scary as a guy with a Fall Out Boy neck tattoo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I guess you could say this Joker was crawling in his skin

I'll let myself out

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I... I think I might dislike comics now

Like I think I might regret that I had this hobby for so long

Or maybe it's just DC

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Supposedly Fox and Marvel are "in talks" for a crossover and I would just rather they not

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/26/marvel-and-fox-rumored-to-be-in-early-talks-about-crossover/

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

How is this a viable business model

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tim Gunn's begun lightly stirring the hype pot for GotG2

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/753827968665853952

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

his name is right there

Hahaha poo poo, I knew I shouldn't have been posting at 2 in the morning

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BotL, in all seriousness, have you been checked for colorblindness?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Every single time.

I have to imagine the poster was making a joke in explicit reference to that phenomenon, since they also had the "female superhero movies never work" meme right above it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rocketeer is Disney. Captain America is Marvel, now owned by Disney. Indiana Jones is Lucasfilm, now owned by Disney. Cap 1 referenced Indiana Jones, and Rocketeer was a WW2 movie.

Give me my WW2 pulp team movie, Disney.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Every new piece of SS promotion/marketing makes me even less interested in seeing it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Can you make it past 5 seconds of this Suicide Squad review video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDPgE29bmU

I made it 3 seconds, holy poo poo no

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I legit do not understand why Joel Kinnaman keeps getting cast in stuff. He doesn't seem to have any charisma or personality.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leto sounds like the biggest fuckin shitbird in Hollywood, god drat. And doesn't he have a bunch of unsavory buzz following him about sexually assaulting groupies? Guuuuh why is this man worth forty million dollars

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kal-L posted:

Edit: I'll just crack open a beer and see another episode of Stranger Things.

This is an excellent decision

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ButtWolf posted:

Its no Guardians, but its no XMen either. I hate the flashbacks that were just poo poo we saw 20 min ago, cameras that let the US see stuff explode, and 'my daughter'. Music didnt really bother me.

I dont get the sexism thing. Seems like being too PC. If Margot Robbie is undressing, everyone is gonna look. EVERYONE. Maybe dont make her character sexy i get that, but it wasnt as bad as ppl are making it seem.

A girl kisses guys and puts a spell on them. Who cares? Its seems ridiculous to get mad about that.

The flashbacks though. Im upset about that, and is the reason I didnt like BvS. Mild pacing problems, not real bad imo.

C grade movie.

You do understand that these aren't real people, correct? That Ayers, when writing and directing this movie, had the option of going "wait, these elements are sexist and lame and I'd be better off not including them in this way," right? He wasn't filming a documentary, and so could decide whether or not he wanted a scene where a female inmate gets naked in the middle of a field while everyone stands dead still and eyefucks her. Like, I'm assuming none of the men in the movie get naked and roll around like kittens while kissing everyone?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://youtu.be/6QOrv9jY8Bs

Jeeeesus am I gonna give Suicide Squad a hard pass. This sounds worse than my already very low expectations of it. Even beyond the terrible editing I've heard mentioned, this Harley stuff sounds stomach churning. No wonder my buddy walked out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

turn your brain off and enjoy the music/one-liners/slow-mo action finishers. Remember, it's just a movie.

Not to pick on you, cause I get what you're saying, but this isn't a good excuse to give someone $20 and 90 minutes of your life that could be spent actually enjoying something that's made well and rewards you for having a brain

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Good on you for being receptive to dialog, ButtWolf

I don't mean that as sarcastic, it probably just sounds that way cause your name is ButtWolf

God dammit that wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic either

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been seeing a lot of chatter lately about the imminently bursting bubble that is the Hollywood studio blockbuster, with BvS and SS specifically noted as canaries in the coalmine. I can definitely see the argument that gambling enormous fortunes on things that must succeed to keep the studio solvent while at the same time fundamentally misunderstanding why people wanted to see movies based on Hasbro Property: Transformers and not Hasbro Property: Battleship is a ticking time bomb.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Toxx, that was a really good effortpost

mycot posted:

Still rooting for Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe to be the next thing.

I don't know how it could possibly work, but yes

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

catlord posted:

Kong in Skull Island is gigantic for this reason. They have a trailer. I'm excited, for sure.

What would that even cover?

I like kaiju and I'm generally excited for movies with them, but the older I get the more I'm like "How could King Kong possibly eat enough calories in a day to maintain that gargantuan size and metabolism."

I don't have this problem with Godzilla because he's a lizard made of radiation, so whatever

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

You seen the size of those bananas they have on Skull Island, man?!

That just raises even more questions!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I bought the rationale of "rich people can afford to leave the blown-up alien warzone, and did, and property values kinda suck there now on account of being an alien warzone that smells like rotting space leviathan or whatever the gently caress those giant snakes that Hulk and Iron Man and Thor kept killing and leaving to cook in the New York summer."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

I think it's hilarious that Facebook is blowing up with all these clickbait articles about "OMG HUGE ACKMAN LOOK OLD NOW?" It has to be makeup for Old Man Logan, and even then, poo poo, dude's like 50. People get wrinkly.

Any time I see someone go "Oh my god what happened to [celebrity name], they got so old!?" I just wonder what they think happens to people over time. I also wonder why they think they have room to criticize when Pierce Brosnan and Hugh Jackman and Ellen Mirren and so on still look better in their advancing age than the person criticizing looked at their long-past peak.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Was 100% sure that was going to be the fart queef joke again. Would have preferred it.

ftfy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just watched Jurassic World and hot poo poo that movie sucked bad

It mostly just made me wish I were watching Chris Pratt in GotG 2 instead of this bad bad dinosaur movie

Hell, it made me wish I were watching Bryce Dallas Howard in Spiderman 3 again

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Maybe doing a good movie with a straightforward script and decent editing would net WB that fabled highly successful movie?

They don't want to do that, they want to immediately have Avengers money and gently caress YOU BUDDY I know what I'm doing *does a bunch more coke and makes important decisions about how to turn a finished movie into a completely different successful movie, entirely in post*

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They technically could make another Hulk solo movie, but Universal has full distribution rights and Disney does not want to spend tons of money making a movie to have someone else control what theaters it ends up in, when the release date is, and taking a chunk of the profits.

How long does that Hulk/Universal contract hold? That can't be in perpetuity, right? There has to be some kind of exit clause, I'd think.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Oh okay, that totally justifies why we needed to see it 3 times.

Why are you like this

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Fight Club is great cause it's a movie you can watch as a teenage boy and like for the wrong reason and then watch again years later and realize what the movie's actually about and feel an incredible horror at how successfully it satirizes its target (you, as a teenage boy)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Are you guys telling me the destruction of capitalism is bad

No, it's great! But not by means of a Paleo-Libertarian Darwinian Fuckboy revolution

Edit: just finished the first season of Mr. Robot and loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Channel 6 was an inside job.

• Locked thread