Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Every character was amazing. Even though Hawkeye was only in the film for a short time, he showed more personality than in both Avengers films combined. His barbs at Tony were incredible.

I'm not a big Black Panther fan, but loved him here. Really excited for his film now. Not as much as for Spider-Man though. Holland is hands down the best one ever.

Just a wonderful film. I wasn't expecting the footage of Bucky killing the Stark family to be so brutal. And Bucky himself showing his remorse with his face and then telling Tony that he remembers every one he killed... Man I hope Bucky gets a break soon.

I'm excited to see it again. I wanted it to be even longer, but at the same time I'm completely satisfied with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Since I really liked both the Garfield and McGuire versions, I'm really stoked to see how this dude apparently surpasses them all in like 20 minutes of screentime.

For me he surpassed them in about 2 minutes. Like, holy poo poo, this dude is Peter Parker.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Banner would not agree with being told where to go and when, and he especially wouldn't work with Thunderbolt Ross. He would opt to retire, but they'd probably want to lock him up because he's the loving Hulk.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

Anyone know how Spiderman or Daredevil or JJ would have operated under the Act?

Seems like it isn't interested in them because they're under the radar, so to speak. And not causing international incidents.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Yes, that character as it exists is not one big ongoing joke. Squirrel Girl's whole thing is that she has the lamest powers ever conceived and that she can beat anyone with them. That's a joke premise and would not work in an actual movie.

I dunno. I think her current series is showing that she beats people not with her powers, but because she tries out things other than punching. Like talking to them. And with Ewing integrating her into New Avengers, she's much less of a joke character now and could very well be adapted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

The whole point of the character is that she breaks the power curve. That's not sustainable in the same universe without reining in her power (negating her character) AND making her serious (negating her character).

She's also a lovely example of a female superhero to start with. Thirty years down the line when Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman and She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel and the Inhumans are running around? Sure, maybe then. But Squirrel Girl was conceived as a joke that only works if you "get" how powerful the extended Marvel Universe is, and how funny it is that she's insanely overpowered.

You're talking about a unvierse that hasn't even introduced Thanos and you want a character that beat him in a straight-up fight to get a starring movie? C'mon. That's stupid.

So you haven't been reading the current series and are only going off of knowing Squirrel Girl from when she was a joke character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Like just imagine a Doreen Green being an intern at Stark Industries, who is super hyper and keeps trying to talk to Tony. She begs him to let her be his sidekick, says what her powers are, and he blows her off. Then in a stinger you have her shown having beaten some supervillain or having talked them into doing something better with their lives.

You could toss her into a Spider-Man movie as Peter's classmate, or Young Avengers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I could actually see them doing the Blade movie with the teenage female Blade like that the comic that disappeared into the ether was going to do.

I thought that was rumored to be the basis for a Netflix series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also, not related to this conversation, but my current favorite rumor from the MCU offices is that they keep joking about wanting to make a Squadron Supreme movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm curious to know what people think of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film, not so much as an adaptation, and more as its own thing. I was thinking of re-watching it recently, not having done so in more than 10 years. I saw it when it came out - I would have been about 12 - and I had it on VHS, and I remember thinking it was really clever to use all of these characters from Victorian literature as a kind of Justice League (which was incidentally the newest entry in the DCAU at that time). Of course, I subsequently read the comics and realised it was much bigger than "just" this 19th-century Justice League, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up on its own.

It provoked a bit of a mini-boom in movies that used a similar stylistic approach. Van Helsing, obviously. I feel as though it is itself influenced considerably by the Blade movies.

The best thing about that movie is Roger Ebert's review.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-2003

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Now I want Infinity War Part 1 to end with Thanos dead on the ground near a throne where Mr. Hyde sits and wears the Gauntlet.

I miss Mr. Hyde :(

Thanos has everyone defeated but Daisy. She's standing up to him, and he goes something like "Farewell, Skye."

Then suddenly "THAT'S NOT HER NAME!" and Mr. Hyde appears to wreck Thanos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Michael B. Jordan's character gets served a subpoena by Kate Mara's character, returning from Iron Man 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Isn't Stallone in Guardians 2?

Stallone definitely is. Sharon Stone and Christopher Lloyd are rumored to have cameos, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I heard today that during an interview, Sharon Stone was asked if she'll ever do a Marvel movie, and she is doing one, but it's a small part. My friends Podcast mentioned she might be playing Jan Van Dyne-Pym, which would be pretty cool.

It's supposedly a cameo/minor role in Guardians 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slippery_Elmer posted:

They've probably got Frankie Raye, Johnny Storm's ex who went by Nova when she was a herald of Galactus.

Yep.

Richard Rider Nova wasn't in Guardians because Gunn felt it would take away from Quill if there were two humans running around in space.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Danny Ketch would be a better choice for a series, I think.

I've just always liked him more, too. But it helps that my first introduction to Ghost Rider was that number 1 with him in it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh, I really don't want Johns running the films.

Like, I really like Bendis, but I wouldn't want him running the Marvel films.

Feige is a fan of the comics, and I think not writing them and just being able to help pick and choose certain beats and character directions works best. He's not biased toward any sort of characters or stories, and that detachment helps since I believe he just wants to put entertaining stories on film with characters that are all the best parts of the ones that have been around for decades.

But I wouldn't trust Johns to have that detachment. Plus he was involved in Green Lantern, and we all know how that went.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

There's a rumor that John Boyega might be in Black Panther now, holy poo poo.

I'm just waiting for Marvel to cast Daisy Ridley as Jane Foster Thor now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lomzus posted:

New actors confirmed for Thor Ragnarok.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
Karl Urban as Skurge

http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203/marvel_studios_confirms_stellar_new_cast_members_of_the_highly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok#ixzz49DkA8xap

That cast is insane.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So with Skurge, that pretty much means we'll get the Enchantress in Thor too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so glad they got Keaton after all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I really think BvS will be a movie people will rewatch on tv or netflix or w/e in a year or two and realize it wasn't really that bad and that they actually like it. A bit hopeful, I must admit, but I've talked to people online and offline that had that experience with MoS, among many other movies.

The movie doesn't lend itself to rewatching because the majority of it is boring. The big Batman vs. Superman fight is bad and lasts only like 5 minutes. The only part worth rewatching is Batman vs. Luthor's thugs at the end of the film because even the Doomsday fight is a big CGI clusterfuck with only a couple of good moments with Wonder Woman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

An extra 5 minutes devoted to showing Lex peeing in the jar.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Cap didn't know. Whether you choose to believe it's honest ignorance or willful self-deception, that's up to you, but Steve says he didn't know, and there's no reason to disbelieve him at that point.

No, Cap says he didn't know it was Bucky, but then Tony presses him again and Cap says "Yes."

He lied at first because he was trying to calm Tony down. But after Cap says yes, that's when Tony starts the fight.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked X-Men Apocalypse, though I can see why others wouldn't. For me, there were a few good scenes that made me forget about the slog and mess that got to them.

Plus they actually did well by Cyclops this film, and I can forgive a lot to get a good live-action Cyclops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

McCloud posted:

Fair enough. The stairway fight, the fight in the beginning of the movie with Crossbones, pretty much any fight that occurs up until the airport scene. I remember being very frustrated with the way they filmed those scenes because I wanted to see what was actually going on, not guess and infer. Then you get a clear view of the fights and the action. Same with the final fight of the film with IM, Cap and Buck. Which strikes me as very odd, why have the stupid frantic action in the first half of the movie and then have crystal clear action in the last two fights?

I can't find the quote, but I remember them saying they intentionally filmed the first few action sequences that way, and then pulled back the shots at the airport sequence to show that the battles had become larger and on a bigger scale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All would have been forgiven with Storm in the original trilogy if this line was included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I had the Storm actress talking in the beginning, which was weird, but I didn't stay to see anything at the end.
Did X Men have a post credit scene?

Yes.

It was people going through the Weapon X facility, getting a blood sample, then putting it in a suitcase that said ESSEX CORP on it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Is DCEU Flash Barry Allen or Wally West? It's Barry Allen, right?

Geoff Johns is in charge. What do you think?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that Freddie Prinze Jr said not long after his spinal surgery that he was done with acting (outside of voicing cartoons) because he didn't want to travel anymore and wanted to stay home with his family. He also said working with Kiefer Sutherland almost made him quit for good even earlier.

I too would prefer to stay home with Sarah Michelle Gellar over doing anything else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would want to be an actor in a Snyder movie just because of the nutritionists and personal trainer that I'd get, plus pretty much getting paid to get ripped.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Metallo and Parasite are fun Superman villains.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

...why? Why doesn't Spider-Man ever get this same nonsense?

Every Spider-Man villain except Carnage is about more than just racking up body counts. Usually they just want power, to get rich, and/or they really fuckin' hate Spidey.

It's the reason why Carnage is seen as one of the worst villains and has to be used in small doses. But even then, Marvel's been able to use him in some good stories in recent years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Cop Car was really good.

I think you mean Kevin Bacon Cop Car

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Bryan Cranston is going to be Zordon in the Power Rangers reboot. He's been rumoured/wanted for so many comic roles like Luthor since Breakind Bad ended and this is what he ended up going with.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/breaking-bads-bryan-cranston-will-play-zordon-in-the-power-rangers-reboot-a142805

He's just going back to his roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSjwnX87YY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHSgyhhdQH4

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

That's Hollyweird for ya!

I'll give a poo poo about it as soon as any of the actors he sent stuff to say that it bothered them.

http://www.eonline.com/news/774157/why-viola-davis-wanted-to-pepper-spray-jared-leto

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bringing Marvel and Star Wars together for a moment, I hope they have another Purple Man in the future, and he's played by John Boyega wearing this suit:

Nah. This guy would be the perfect Night Thrasher.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Remember when people were making jokes about how the Joker in Suicide Squad looked like he was designed to appeal to the Hot Topic crowd?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not a poster but

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I enjoyed how it was the first instance of Thanos talking and the proper introduction of the mcguffins that nine other movies had been building up to and it was still unapologetically a comedy movie that didn't take itself seriously first

It has a ton of heart. Gunn's passion for it bled through and all the actors had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Peter Parker once hit Mary Jane.

• Locked thread