Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Saw it and thought it was great. Ending was nowhere near the cop-out I'd been led to believe. A lot of the early comments from goons implied something along the lines of Zemo being an anime-level puppetmaster who orchestrated everything and Cap being completely right, but that's really not true at all. Zemo's only plan was to find/create dirt on Bucky, the Wakandans weren't part of the plan at all (although Rumlow arguably might have been), and the big action setpiece was just an unexpected pleasant side effect. The accords were legit, none of the conflict was manufactured the way the early comments made me think, and I'm pretty sure Zemo was initially just expecting to get Cap and Tony into a fight, not even expecting an actual physical fight let alone a huge battle at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ah, so the Justice League movie will have murderous Blue Lanterns.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Madkal posted:

Also their birth name. Was Edward Nygma and Otto Octavious really going to be anything but Riddler and Dr Octopus with those names.

And don't get me started on the parents of Blackagar Boltagon!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I know the breakdown in the post above is the official word but it always made more sense to me to have Aether be Power, Orb be Soul (since it kills living things while leaving nonliving things intact), and the Eye be Reality. Nothing about the Aether really screamed "Reality Gem" to me while on the other hand you'd think the Eye of Agamotto would be the prime candidate for it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

What has impressed me about Suicide Squad is that it not only got an Asylum knock off of it (Sinister Squad)

Hold on, I just watched the trailer for this and... is it set in the Grimm Avengers shared direct-to-videomatic universe? :monocle:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just watched it, and while it wasn't good, it was not as bad as BvS, and certainly not as bad as Fantastic Four.

The most glaring problem to me was the lack of an arc for anyone. Not a single character is changed by the end of the movie, except maybe for the one guy who's now dead, and that now they're all friends for some reason, even though barely anything led up to that. Considering the title of the movie, it's a major failing that they barely interact with each other. In fact, I feel the movie spends a disproportionate amount of time showing random soldiers fighting instead of the squad doing anything special that shows they're indispensable.

By the time the bar scene happens, it seems like we're meant to see that they're already friends, which just doesn't ring true. Deadshot and Harley, okay--at least they traded words beforehand, albeit briefly. Croc, though? He casually jokes with them like they're old pals despite having had only like... two lines up to that point? None of which were even spoken to the team. All of Boomerang's dialogue was about how lovely the task force is, so there really wasn't a compelling reason for him or Croc to go back to help after Flagg let them go--and hell, there wasn't even a compelling reason for Flagg to let them go either! Most of the intra-team dialogue was just Flagg talking at them!

And let's not even get started on Katana.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They should solve this MJ problem by having white redhead MJ die and pass on the mantle of Mary Jane to a young black girl

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What I liked about Batman Begins is that it drove home that the Wayne side of things was just as important as the Batman side, instead of Batman being the mask. I know that contradicts what Katie Holmes says at the end of the movie, but Alfred lecturing Bruce about his dad's legacy, followed by the revelation that the Waynes were unknowingly fighting the League of Shadows long before Bruce was, was pretty effective in driving home that there was value in working outside of the shadows as well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Sion posted:

Jeez, WB are still going full bore with this whole thing, aren't they?

Only the Harley film is actually a DC film; the rest are other projects.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Namely, that Pepper broke up with Tony.

I'd be down with the Tony Stark/Aunt May flirtation from Civil War being more than just a joke. An older, embittered, scarred but still hopeful Tony Stark as Peter Parker's mentor and perhaps even father figure sounds like an interesting route to go, especially if the idea is Tony stressing the great responsibility line and trying to teach Peter to avoid the mistakes Tony himself made.

If we can't get the Nick Fury/Peter relationship from the Ultimate comics, I think a similar relationship between Tony and Peter would be fantastic.

And if Peter ever dies and gets replaced by Miles, they could also have Tobey do an adaptation of Spider-men please don't kill me

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Gavok posted:

That's how I saw it. Strange's story makes more sense if his origin had been stewing since 2010 instead of five months ago.

It also makes sense when you consider he was already on Hydra's radar by the time Cap 2 happened. Although I guess you could argue that he was valuable even before he learned magic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I thought Tobey was a good Peter, and Andrew a good Spider-man, but from what I saw in CW, Tom Holland is good at being both. Peter being a pretty street-level New Yorker, though, I think it would have been more realistic if he'd referred to the Hulk as "the big green guy".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I actually thought GotG 2 improved on the first one in every way; it was funnier than the first movie and I didn't find the humor forced, and it had much more emotional weight to it. Each character got enough time to do something interesting, and the villain in particular was probably the most well-characterized villain since Stane or Loki.

Also I loved the golden dudes who looked like a throwback to old sci-fi films. It gets some flak for pandering to 80s kids, but honestly I think this aesthetic is tonally a pretty good fit for Marvel movies in general, because it manages to convey the campiness of comics while still being able to take itself seriously when it needs to. Also, (not a spoiler) did I see Jeff Goldblum's Grandmaster from Thor 3 dancing in the credits?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If I tell you guys that the Joss Whedon script for Wonder Woman was leaked here, do you all promise to not let the thread derail into arguing over whether or not Joss and/or his non-comics works suck?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Super Dan posted:

I think the weirdest part of this is the inclusion of Dominic Fortune. Has he ever been considered a Spider-Man character? Would Sony even have the rights to him?

Fortune is definitely with Marvel; he was in the filmed-but-not-greenlit Mockingbird pilot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I liked WW quite a lot and thought the villain made thematic sense, although there was a bit of dissonance with the tone of the rest of the movie, since in some ways it was a supervillain out of nowhere.

My only real complaint though was that it was visually ridiculously dark. A lot of the scenes took place at night in bad lighting, and while I could see what was happening, it felt like a chore to look at the screen. I know this wasn't a problem with the projector because the scenes on Themyscira were bright and crisp. I realize that all things considered, this is kind of a terribly minor complaint, but I felt like it robbed me of some enjoyment, like if I tried reading a comic in a dark room with nothing but moonlight seeping through a window.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Tobey was a good Peter, and Andrew was a good Spidey, but Tom Holland absolutely nails both sides of the character. Homecoming itself was great too; I'd been primed by the incorrect spoilers that Zendaya was the Vulture's daughter, so I was surprised with the actual reveal. People can complain about MCU integration in films, but I thought it worked really organically here, working well to explain how it is Peter has such a colorful array of villains to deal with (ie: why do so many random bank robbers have access to ridiculously good tech), and allowing the movie to approach Peter from an angle that wouldn't have worked half as well if they'd tried it outside of the MCU. Frankly, far more grating than the many MCU references was the 3 second Audi ad towards the end of the film. And speaking of the end of the film, the final postcredits stinger was unexpectedly super intense, and really changes things up for the future. Everyone should absolutely sit through the credits to wait for it, as it's extremely important.

There was one bit that bugged me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it actually worked well. I didn't feel that it was earned that Tony offered Peter a spot on the Avengers, saying he'd finally done the right thing, despite Peter not actually behaving that much differently from earlier--all that changed was that he managed the situation without the suit. But then I started thinking "oh it's a test, ha", then when they revealed it wasn't a test, I realized "oh right, Tony actually has zero idea what he's doing and probably equated 'saved me a ton of money' with 'doing the right thing'. Yeah, sounds about right for a Stark."

Last thing, I thought for sure either Liz or MJ would figure it out during the movie, but now, I'm betting that just like 616 MJ, MCU MJ has known since before the movie started, hence her vaguely stalking Peter throughout the movie.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 6, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

edit: yeah nm I answered but edited it out, if you saw it, unlucky you

irlZaphod posted:

It's really best seen with the context of the rest of the film. It'll lose its impact otherwise.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope that (spoilers for the very final scene BEFORE the credits) the opening flashback of Homecoming 2 is The Talk, since Aunt May finding out (or saying she's always known) has been a highlight every time it's been done in the comics. When they said Homecoming 2 would open minutes after Avengers 4, I assumed it was because May finds out during that movie, segueing naturally into the next Spidey film, so I certainly didn't expect it at the end of this one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Can someone post "the stinger" and put it in spoiler tags?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825231&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post474149413

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So... Guillermo Del Toro's new movie is secretly a Hellboy prequel, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's going to be a very loose adaptation of Doom's role in Secret Wars, featuring the 2000s FF, Roger Corman FF, and Josh Trank FF, culminating in an as-of-yet uncast FF joining the MCU.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Huh, with Tilda Swinton as Ivy I see. That's an interesting design.

People in this thread are reacting to this news but where is it coming from? It's not in that link, and there's no news about it when I search; all I find is someone's Deviantart mockup from 2009. Or is there a joke that went completely over my head?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I figured Cillian Murphy's role would have gone to Ledger had he been alive. That scene where he presides over a kangaroo court reminded me a lot of Judge Joker from that BTAS episode. Not to mention that the "death by exile" bit totally sounded like something the Joker would have said.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It probably doesn't really matter whether or not he technically lost the first fight; if he lost, then just consider it a rematch. There are no established rematch rules, after all.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I would really like for GotG 3 to end with a dancing sequence if they wanna go full cheesy. In fact, they should have the villain of the movie actually accept a dance-off challenge, or otherwise have the villain defeated with the power of music, because come on, if any MCU movie is gonna do it it's gotta be GotG.

I have a lot of favorite MCU moments but the ones that made me feel are:
Iron Man: "You've just stepped into a bigger world."
Avengers: "There are always men like you."
AoS: "You jumped through a hole in the universe for me!" >:)
AoU: "I was born yesterday"
Civil War: "My father made that shield."
GotG 2: Father and Son

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A loose adaptation of Ultimate Clone Saga, I've always thought would be pretty awesome in the MCU. Replace Kitty with Shuri and I guess Fury with Tony.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Lots more mutants”

"I'm going to find reinforcements."
"More Inhumans?"
"No, more mutants."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Fangz posted:

It wouldn't be the first time they have cut their trailers to be super misleading.

So Tony totally isn't talking to Gamora or even talking about Thanos in that trailer, is he? It's gonna turn out he's making fun of Dr. Strange's name or something.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Superman and Batman have the same mother

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

I can't believe Thanos and the universe's mom had the same name

Every pair of characters you could conceivably have this joke with actually does this scene in the movie, word for word. You got Gamora and Aunt May with "Peter", you got Peter and Coulson with "May", Cap and Tony with "James", even the Collector and Tony with "Howard". This whole sequence takes up a solid 28 minute block of the movie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Koalas March posted:

all I have to say is Oh snap!!

also lol @ the majority of these deaths (Black Panther, Spiderman) actually sticking. they better loving bring back Valkyrie tho. Getting killed off screen is some BULLSHIT

A question, not a real spoiler but tagging it just in case: Do our baes Peter and Shuri get any screentime together???

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My speculation about the (based on leaked set photos which include Avengers 4) timey wimey stuff: the obvious approach would be to recruit past versions of the heroes, which would highlight how far each of them has come. But the past versions that were seen in set photos were all characters that are still alive, so it would be weird to have them recruit themselves rather than the people who died. My idea is they might be going to the past to collect a second gauntlet to face off against Thanos with.

NmareBfly posted:

What I'm really curious about is if this'll have any ramifications in the Netflix shows / SHIELD etc.

I'm fairly confident Netflix will never address it. SHIELD will for sure but the obvious options I see would make me mad for different reasons (I wanted to post this in the AoS thread but at the moment they'd rather not have discussion based on IW spoilers):

1. Lose a character I like, and I like every one of them, even Piper.
2. Don't kill anyone in the cast and write it off as the team being incredibly lucky, which would be a cop-out.

Other options would be to kill all the unnamed SHIELD staff and Robin's mom, or for them to find some kind of deus ex machina like have them be outside of time or have a Ghost Rider shield or something. Maybe the Confederacy will have some mumbo jumbo science that can offer limited protection from Infinity Stones, and instead of them all dissolving we'll have a variant like Fitz is slowly turning to ash over the remaining episodes.

Shinjobi posted:

......is it crazy to think we might see a cameo of netflix/TV people in Avengers 4, even if it's just in passing? I figure the stage is set for it to happen in 4, if it's going to happen at all.

I'll never stop believing, even after the movie comes out and Kevin Feige announces that all the Marvel TV characters died offscreen. But yeah if there was ever a time for them to cameo, Avengers 4 would be it. They don't even have to do anything, just show up in a quick pan of like, every hero showing up to fight Thanos or whatever. Or if the heroes can get their hands on the gauntlet Tony can have a repulsor blast that shoots TV heroes at Thanos. But honestly, put Quake in there you fucks. And let's see May in Captain Marvel.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Also, some small moments I thought were going to pay off with something but didn't. Not really complaints, just things that looked like setups that weren't:

The guy torturing Dr. Strange with surgical needles, I thought for sure was going to blow back on him with Stephen capping it off with a one-liner about how he's a surgeon too.

I thought Drax's invisibility gag was going to pay off as well, with him popping up out of nowhere to take out a baddie or something.

edit: In other news, I read something recently that said Homecoming 2 would have more globetrotting than the first movie; maybe THEN he can meet Shuri :mad:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I want a movie which is just 1.5 hours of Captain America, Captain Marvel, Peter Quill, and Peter Parker together watching all the movies and TV they missed (or in the case of Peter, was born too late to appreciate) shot in the style of a Youtube reaction video.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A line I liked that nobody seems to have appreciated was near the very beginning, when Loki tells Thanos, "we have a Hulk." That was probably the best possible way to do a callback to that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I thought GotG 2 played much better seen very soon after GotG 1, which makes sense anyway as they happen very soon after one another. One of the main complaints was that the Yondu/Peter stuff didn't feel earned in GotG 2, which I sort of get, but it came across perfectly fine in GotG 1, so pairing them together makes 2 much more emotional as opposed to if you watched all those other MCU movies inbetween.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

X-O posted:

KSD fans went nuts over that book. The "Carol Corps" turned out to mostly just be KSD fans and not fans of the character. Every iteration of the book since has been a hundred times better than her runs. Except for the Civil War II stuff. That was a misstep. All the Alpha Flight and Ultimates stuff made up for it though.

What's the recommended run for my friend who's not into comics at all who wants to get a feel for Captain Marvel? Will he get lost if I tell him to read Alpha Flight or Ultimates? I initially recommended the KSD run based on its popularity but I hadn't read it myself.

Edit: He said he wanted Carol's origin story, but also doesn't want to read any obviously old stuff, by which I think he means he wants to read something more decompressed.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 5, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Marvel could just hire an actress willing to attend every single screening of Gwenpool ever, so she can hop on and off the screen at the key moments she uses her powers. Actually that could be how it works; she can hop off the screen, wait for a transition, and then hop back in, but that's really nowhere near as interesting as her comics abilities.

I wonder if they're gonna make Miles' "Uncle Ben" moment the snap, the way Peter's death in Ultimate Spider-man was his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Homecoming 2 should end with a symbolic fight where a CGI Spider-Man defeats a rubber suited Mysterio.

• Locked thread