Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if we never, ever talked about MoS or BvS or the Joker in this thread....

How many intra/post-credits scenes are in Civil War? I have to wait til Sunday to see it :negative:

Deadpool Marketing team, please stop killing it, we're all ready dead.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFBxvcbt_pG/

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whizbang posted:

One in the middle of the credits (for Black Panther), one at the very end (for Spider-Man).

Why do you tempt me with your spoilers and oh god quoting it reveals them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen a bad review yet. One small indie blog posted a "C" review but they were inundated so bad they had to close the comments and issue an explanatory editorial.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

qntm posted:

Be sure to stay in your seat during the credits after Civil War, because the music is good and a whole lot of people worked really hard on the film so they deserve to have you at least glance at their names.

As a fan of comic book movies, I never learned how to read.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Well here's something I never saw coming. Adam McKay will direct the movie adaptation of Irredeemable for FOX based on Mark Waid's great comic. I had no idea this was even picked up for a movie.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

Whoa that's bad rear end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's no Ant Man hambone but it's still pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjkHPj5AXEU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stop making me jealous and watch the Deadpool gag reel.
https://vimeo.com/165389267

So, Ryan Reynolds is literally irl Deadpool and every line from this reel that he or TJ Miller say could've easily made the movie, it's really impressive how quick on their feet they are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since I really liked both the Garfield and McGuire versions, I'm really stoked to see how this dude apparently surpasses them all in like 20 minutes of screentime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like Natasha's fighting style in the movies, utterly brutal and based around the fact that she's generally smaller than most of her opponents. Who ever does her stunt work is really good too, very fast and violent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

The lady that does her stunt work had a cameo in the film. As the female Winter Soldier. Same with Cap's and Falcon's doubles. In fact Cap's double is named Josef which is undoubtedly a little nod to Red Guardian the Soviet Super Soldier from the comics.

That was a rad scene.

It's kind of ridiculous how cool Sebastian Stan looks as Bucky in full WS mode.

I'm pretty much over this common critique of the MCU that film crit people use, that the films aren't self-contained and "don't end". They're trying to do something different, make serialized movies in the comic book mode, and many film people just can't get over it. This whole movie shows the strengths of the Marvel approach to story telling and world building and just because there's a 30 second coda that plans the sequel doesn't mean the film doesn't have an arc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Attention super hero's girl and boyfriends: They are never going to pick you over the suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Cap clearly chose Bucky over the suit. :colbert:

Sebastian Stan is far too cool looking!

It's funny to me that the most grounded, realistic superhero movie villain yet is based on a guy who permanently glued an oversized purple stocking cap to his head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing is more dangerous in any Marvel continuity than a guilty Tony Stark trying to make amends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, gently caress Gwyneth Paltrow. Pepper Potts is absolutely not needed as a character.

Uh apparently she agreed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

No, she's not. She's always been in control of her personality and conscience from the start, which makes her inherently different from Hulk (who usually gets a name change if he can actually control his thoughts, reinforcing the point).

If anything Jennifer Walters' main theme is a professional, serious woman earning respect in a man's world, which is made all that harder because she's seven feet tall and super buff and green. In contrast to Banner's main theme being, well, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

"She-Hulk was created by Stan Lee, who wrote only the first issue, and was the last character he created for Marvel Comics[3] before his return to comics with Ravage 2099 in 1992. The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (1977–82) and The Bionic Woman TV series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as had been done with The Six Million Dollar Man, so Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the TV series, Marvel would own the rights.[4][5]"

Also the same reason Jessica Drew was created.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, OML owns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of it but I'd be fine with an adaptation since that would by necessity smooth over the rougher edges.

By rougher edges you mean Millarese?

Ha, the Economist weighs in.

Ross kind of alludes to it but I'm surprised they didn't try to make the American issue more of a central problem. It's one of the most interesting things about Ultimates vol 2, this idea that a team made up of American heroes is going to lead to a new arms race with superpeople instead of nukes. Any actions of the Avengers would be seen as serving American foreign policy interests no matter how pure and honorable they are. It's hard to convince people you aren't operating under a national aegis when you're led by a guy named Captain America.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 10, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From the secret Illuminati casting department:

WHO GAVE YOU THAT JACKET

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Jesus. Looks like they did more post processing on her than the Hulk.

First time seeing a magazine?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

But then it turned out to merely be derivative

Oh no...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg6n5TBRLJw

Here's the Russos and some of the Avengers actors hyping Infinity War.

CW spoilersI remember at the end of the movie wondering which film was going to reunite them and get them ready for IW, but the Russos apparently intended the end of CW to be the status quo as IW opens

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

So I guess that guy hasn't seen Civil War at all. Or Deadpool. Strange.

Bret Easton Ellis wrote American Psycho among other books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lomzus posted:

So the Hollywood Reporter are saying that Lupita Nyong'o is in negotiations to star in Black Panther.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-lupita-nyongo-talks-893213

Well this is too perfect to not happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm such a Marvel homer that there's basically no chance I won't like X-men even if I know it's bad ._.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quesada says Marvel owns the movie rights to Namor

quote:

Appearing on the Fat Man on Batman podcast, interviewer Kevin Smith asked Quesada, "...The same people that own Iron Man, own the Sub-Mariner?"

Quesada replied, "I can't speak for studios...As far as I know, yeah we do. It’s not at Fox, it’s not at Sony...Yeah."

As for the possibility of seeing Namor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe sometime soon, Quesada said, "I cannot confirm or deny, sir."

You sons of bitches better make a goddamn Namor movie..

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen it but I recall that they shot a bunch of extra Charles Dance stuff because they were trying to tie it into the Universal Monsters extended universe which they've since decided against.

I'd guess they are going to do a different Dracula movie to intro him into the UMCU rather than spring for a Dracula Untold sequel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, Oscar nominations bellwether the Producer's Guild of America put Deadpool on its short list for their top prize.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a screenplay nod.

edit: sure enough, the Writer's Guild gave it a nod for Adapted Screenplay.

Is it close, at all, to any single run of Deadpool?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tom Holland confirmed that Spider-Man will be in Infinity War.

Charlie Cox has also met with the movie division of Marvel and it could be nothing, but might hint at a Daredevil / Defenders cameo.

Wasn't Ike Perlmutter the main guy keeping TV and movies apart? Rumors are he's going to be taking a role in the new administration so maybe he's stepping back from Marvel stuff. He was even recently photographed!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3OxVFvTeg

Final Logan trailer with tons of X-23 action.

Also is that book in the trailer from the Ultimate X-Men issue where Wolverine drops Cyclops in a ravine and leaves him to die?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even though on paper X-23 seems like the kind of character that would suck (From a cartoon! Clone! Teen girl angst! Even MORE Wolverine) she's been used extremely well in pretty much every book I've read her in and honestly she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. From the trailer it looks like they are staying pretty close to the character, I'm glad they're bringing Laura to the movies. I'd even be cool with X-23 solo films if the character takes off in popularity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

No, I used to own that book and that doesn't look like it

Ok I looked and I think those are fake books. Both of them have a price of 40 cents on the cover.

UXM was $.40 from May 1979 (121) - Sept 1980 (#136) and none of the covers are those. But some of the most iconic issues are from that period, Dark Phoenix, White Queen, Proteus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remind me how hype we got for The Wolverine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Truth. The Wolverine had two pretty excellent trailers and was made by the same people.

Nah I legit couldn't remember if the Wolverine had good trailers that got us hyped up or not.

I thought it had some good parts and some bad parts but it was way better than Origins, not that it's a high bar to clear.

e: FWIW, i09 has a review of the first act of the film (spoilers obviously) and they say it's Real Good.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Suicide Squad is Oscar nominated.

The only Star Trek episode to ever win an Emmy is also widely considered to be the worst episode ever. Technical awards :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That of course not withstanding that way worse things than 9/11 happen every year in the MU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if ancient Sumerian tablet critics warned about Gilgamesh-fatigue setting in.

People with extraordinary abilities fiction is like the oldest form of human fiction, I don't think it's in danger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red Cunieform Media called Enkidu much more interesting than the protagonist, which has long been a problem in the SCU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McAvoy's confirmed shooting starts this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Links are always good. I thought they were rebooting again but I guess not?

https://www.flickreel.com/james-mcavoy-cant-wait-to-shoot-new-x-men-movie-in-the-summer/

• Locked thread