Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LGD posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm super curious to see how they intend to handle Magik in the New Mutants movie. The rest of the New Mutants are fundamentally pretty straightforward, but comic-book Magik is... not. The time traveling component of her mutant power is alone would make her a somewhat difficult character to handle from a storytelling perspective, and that's something that requires far less exposition than anything to do with Belasco/Limbo/the Soulsword/the bloodstones/the Darkchild/being a literal witch. There are a lot of ways you can deal with it, but I legitimately have no idea what movie-Magik is going be like, while I can envision the rest of the team pretty easily.

Ignore it all and give her magic. Nobody will be confused, because it's her name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll be interesting to see the international.

Captain America previously didn't do so good in many countries because he's Captain America. But everyone knows this is basically Avengers.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Theater is full. Ton of people wearing Cap shirts too

They chose the wrong side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the right side. Cap is a douche.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not from the 1960s like McGuire, as a start.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not based on the comic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, Iron Man isn't really fascist in CW. He's arguing fairly reasonably that maybe the people with immense superpowers who freely travel between nations should have some form of oversight rather than being trusted to do things on their own even when that has proven to backfire. He presents it in a bad way due to his own issues and beyond a certain point is determined to keep himself in check more than anyone else. Unlike in Civil War he arrests people for committing actual real crimes and is disgusted that that the Raft is used. He does have his hands tied about going after Zemo... except that turns out to be completely right and going after Zemo without any oversight is exactly what he expected and lead to the final fight.

Captain America on the other hand is basically going for Libertarian with the argument that the law doesn't apply to him and shouldn't apply to him because he knows he's doing the right thing and they have no right to stop him. Even though almost everything he does in the film is a mistake. The climax of the film is both Captain America and Iron Man playing directly into Zemo's trap in a way that wouldn't happen if either of them had been willing to compromise. The climax of the film is both sides beating the poo poo out of each other while T'challa, who is the only one able to move beyond his own issues, actually resolves the Zemo plot without being 'beaten' by Zemo.

The answer to Civil War is "wow, Tony and Steve are both kinda shitheads, shame for everyone they dragged into it."

Cap ends the movie inflicting permanent brain damage on a bunch of innocent UN soldiers doing their jobs. So Tony comes out ahead there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody is talking about BvS. They're comparing it to Ultron, which it did less than.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$185m is the entire weekend estimate, not just through Saturday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The studios are the ones releasing the info.

They're right like 95% of the time, and the only thing that really throws them off is bad word of mouth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The act is specifically for the Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah whatever the status of Inhumans, Spider-Man counts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

If they want to make a Black Widow movie they can do it whenever, just because they say we're doing X movie in Y year it's not like they're going to get arrested if they shuffle some stuff around.

They don't have forever. Johansson will be 35 when the currently scheduled stuff is done, a gross old hag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Could just be his ring is made of vibranium and messes with metal and/or electronics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are also several instances where things that would normally trigger his comics Spider Sense didn't in the movie (or I suppose he simply ignored it each time?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Here's where Cap learned of Stark's death, directly from the last movie.

From the Zola scene in Winter Soldier. You have notification of Stark's death + the date of the death. It wouldn't take a genius to know that it was probably Stark on the video when he saw the date.

Although that's the wrong Howard Stark actor there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At the same time mid-30s Sharon has a 100 year old aunt.

Edit: Actually Emily VanCamp is only 29.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm assuming she was supposed to be Sharon's great-aunt, and she just shortened it to Aunt Peggy.

Probably. If my great aunt founded SHIELD and knew Captain America we'd probably be a lot closer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Was that supposed to be a character from the comics? She got surprising emphasis so I wondered if I was supposed to know who the character was.

Not anyone specific, but Black Panther has female bodyguards called Dora Milaje.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

"Aunt" is a familial term that's often used as a term of affection despite it not being literally true, like "Uncle".

Sure, but they have the same last name

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony dating May makes Golden Oldie a possibility.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, the comics have always shown Richard (Peter's father) and Ben were brothers. Ben is usually quite a bit older than Richard.

Aunt May is actually not related to Peter by blood at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think we just wrote half the script for Not Spider-Man: A XXX Parody.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're split up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So is Jonathan Kent Jerry, or George?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody would see Squirrel Girl.

I would make sure of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel films involve a group of space heroes, a genius tech, an alien god who battles space elves, a World War II hero, and as of this year will involve a super-magician. calling it 'tiny in scope' is absurd.

And they all hang out in Manhattan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You keep saying this like it's some fundamental truth, but it's really not.

"Light hearted movie about a girl with odd powers who wants to be a superhero and defeats villains above her power level with good humour, understanding, butt kicking and squirrels" would fit right into the MCU alongside Ant Man, while still being recognisable as the character.

Make it an action comedy with the emotional core being Doreen wanting to be seen as a real super hero. Bam, done.

Ant Man didn't do well. 500m on 130m budget isn't good. It's merely okay.

Marvel has no incentive to do merely okay right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Fantastic Four not good or Superman v Batman not good?

Thor 2 not good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know why they didn't just give her the mild superpowers deal from the comics. Then at least she can fight anyone except like Vision or Scarlet Witch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Yikes.

Why didn't they just hire Matthew Vaughn again?? First Class was one of the only X-men movies I still like on the rewatch.

He did (partially) write it.

Edit: Oops, I was looking at DofP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except you probably said that the last 2 times too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LGD posted:

They should shake it up and adapt either X-Factor or X-Statix imo- nobody is going to recognize the characters in either, but both give good setups for entertaining films that can be lower stakes and not rehash the same dramatic beats endlessly.

They're doing New Mutants and X-Factor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel is just going to be Sex and the City but at the end she flies and punches aliens for 15 minutes.

It will bomb and Hollywood will blame women for not knowing what they want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Fox ever cared enough to challenge that Squirrel Girl thing I don't think it would hold up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anger Management!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, she is the bad guy at that point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Bucky didn't power bomb her through the table when he had the chance = bad movie.

He tried!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ant Man is significantly less stupid than Squirrel Girl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Sure, that would work fine. I just don't think Marvel (or any big studio really) is ready to cast a non-traditionally attractive actor for their 2nd or 3rd big female lead.

Make Jennifer Walters a different actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jesus. Looks like they did more post processing on her than the Hulk.

• Locked thread