Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

so let me get this straight you'd rather every game everyone have a bolt-action rifle and sit in a trench for hours?

having some all kit weapons, with bolt actions in the mix, wouldn't be the end of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's entirely likely that Battlefield 4 will end up being the best game developed by DICE this decade and the thought of that makes me mother loving sick. How on earth did they lose their talent?

it'll probably be fun for a bit

in addition, qq more.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So apparently the Victorian England-era desert eagle aka Mars Automatic Pistol is a thing in bf1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKqvLpxpU4

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So let me get this straight
-France and Russia are DLC and America is one of the main base factions
-tanks act exactly like APCs in BF4
-Recon is the only class that has bolt action rifles and every other class has automatic weapons that were either failed prototypes or nonexistent
-every gun still has a jillion ugly useless attachments
-these 'ultra vehicles' or whatever that are just stationary turrets like the ATATs in the new Battlefront
-biplanes have high power anti-infantry/tank weapons
-gas and artillery is just a minor gameplay aspect
-no Commander
-they're going to do that loving 'just a handful of different maps chopped up into segments for different modes' thing from Battlefront
-dying and respawning doesn't affect tickets
-everyone has walkie talkies
I wasn't expecting a DICE take on Verdun, or even much realism at all, but it looks to me like the WWI setting everyone is hyped up for is actually just useless window dressing that doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and the game is just shaping up to be BF4 with even less maps and features. Really good poo poo 👏👏👏

spotted the autist

UnlceSamHD
Aug 3, 2014

automaticswim posted:

spotted the autist

kek

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-Recon is the only class that has bolt action rifles and every other class has automatic weapons that were either failed prototypes or nonexistent
-these 'ultra vehicles' or whatever that are just stationary turrets like the ATATs in the new Battlefront
-no Commander
-they're going to do that loving 'just a handful of different maps chopped up into segments for different modes' thing from Battlefront
I wasn't expecting a DICE take on Verdun, or even much realism at all, but it looks to me like the WWI setting everyone is hyped up for is actually just useless window dressing that doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and the game is just shaping up to be BF4 with even less maps and features. Really good poo poo 👏👏👏

Wow all that typing and you managed to get like maybe 2.5 things right. :bravo: you have on the other hand shown a fundamental lack of understanding on bf4, battlefront and bf1. Good job trooper keep up the good fight against dice and facts because if you say it enough it must be true right?

K8.0 posted:

How DARE you make a list of things about this game that aren't what people were/are pretending it would be. It will be totally perfect in every way, an absolute masterpiece and the last game I will ever need to buy.

until two weeks after it actually comes out, and then the same goons will pretend they always knew it was going to be a disappointment in a bunch of ways

We get it you have some weird beef with dice or ea or....wait I don't really loving care and neither dose anyone else. I know this is odd to you that the people who have played the game call it fun, but it's like friends you will not know if it's for you till you get the first one. Maybe you should try that friend thing I hear the first one is the hardest though so...

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

having some all kit weapons, with bolt actions in the mix, wouldn't be the end of the world

Nope, anyone with any criticisms or suggestions needs to stop asking for this to be a hyper realistic simulation that no one is actually asking for or Go Play Verdun

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
You should go play some Squad instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

xyigx posted:

Wow all that typing and you managed to get like maybe 2.5 things right. :bravo: you have on the other hand shown a fundamental lack of understanding on bf4, battlefront and bf1. Good job trooper keep up the good fight against dice and facts because if you say it enough it must be true right?

so list what he got wrong for the less informed

because outside of the tanks criticism it looks pretty accurate

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

so list what he got wrong for the less informed

because outside of the tanks criticism it looks pretty accurate

Things he got right
- France and Russians are part of the respective map packs <-correct
-No commander <-correct
-Death does not effect ticket count (only in conquest) <- half correct
-Aircraft have very good anti vehicle rockets and bombs(real life poo poo from ww1) <- half correct
- Everyone has walkies talkies <- WTF is he even saying with this?

But hey I actually played the game what would I know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

xyigx posted:

Things he got right
- France and Russians are part of the respective map packs <-correct
-No commander <-correct
-Death does not effect ticket count (only in conquest) <- half correct
-Aircraft have very good anti vehicle rockets and bombs(real life poo poo from ww1) <- half correct
- Everyone has walkies talkies <- WTF is he even saying with this?

But hey I actually played the game what would I know.

seem right too.

either way, it's good to get accurate info in the thread. no need for people to get upset.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

seem right too.

either way, it's good to get accurate info in the thread. no need for people to get upset.
The former isn't really true. The only weapon that is a filed prototype/nonexistant that I've seen is the Cei-Riggoti rifle. The others totally existed and were used, they just weren't very common. Even then I don't think that's a real criticism.
The latter is sorta true but there's still going to be a lot more maps than there were for battlefront, where there were only 4 maps for the main modes at launch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SquadronROE posted:

Man that'd be awesome

If you die in-game you get charged another $60

Stand still in a trench too long a minimum wage EA employee comes to your house, takes off your socks, shoves your foot into a pail of muddy tainted water.

Then you get trench foot irk

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

seem right too.

Uh medic gets a bolt action as well. I mean unless you know more about the game than dice(this was in the promotional video they provided at the e3 and gamescom live stream events). Most ended up using the semiautomatic over the bolt action and the SMG. This may change at some point I don't know if it will or will not. But it's like when they changed the default horse weapon to a lever action from the SMG, people got super butt hurt at first and then they got over it just as fast.

Automatic rifles were not "failed experiments" in real life they actually existed and saw use in the war. They will have expanded use in the game because it's a GAME and it is more fun with them than without. Also by the end of the war semiautomatic rifles and lever actions were more common than bolt actions. With multiple models of lmgs being available throughout the war.

Having a section of a map designed for a different game mode does not mean they just chopped up the map. They can and do make separate sections of maps for different game modes and these areas are usually not accessible in any other game mode. They are different maps unless you have some ocd that says all maps have to be 100% separate files. And even if they did chop a section of the map off so what? The most popular rush maps in both bf3 and bf4 were not the rush specific ones they were parts if conquest maps.

The last two alphas have been real alphas and the next beta is a real beta not a glorified demo. A lot of poo poo can and will change. For example the losing teams "bonus" assets are underperforming and will probably be tweaked before the open beta. The train currently dies so fast it's only use is to park it by a flag to make people have to go around its wreckage and the blimp is pretty much the same except you try and crash it on the point with the most enemy's. Gun balance is still changing constantly and probably will be until release. And yes I am a rear end in a top hat.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I didn't see a bolt-action for medics. All I saw was the Selbstlader on top of the alpha weapons.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The weapon choice is also an important element of game balance. They wanted to give each class specific roles and range brackets, which wasn't really true in BF3/4 with all-class DMRs/carbines.
Here there's a clear range bracket for each class
Close Range- Assault
Mid Range- Medic and Support
Long Range- Recon

Having all-class weapons would eat into this.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
hyper realistic ww1 infantry combat would be poo poo in a way much worse than everyone having bolt rifles sniping. if you read books (gasp) about trench assaults (like Storm of Steel) it was really about just running down trench lines throwing as many grenades as possible till the enemy ran and then you shot them in the open. everyone hip firing an mp18 is a little goofy but I'll take that over dudes throwing 20 grenades.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

hyper realistic ww1 infantry combat would be poo poo in a way much worse than everyone having bolt rifles sniping. if you read books (gasp) about trench assaults (like Storm of Steel) it was really about just running down trench lines throwing as many grenades as possible till the enemy ran and then you shot them in the open. everyone hip firing an mp18 is a little goofy but I'll take that over dudes throwing 20 grenades.
Also WW1 was not entirely encapsulated by 1916 on the Western Front. The war had a very different, less static character on the Eastern, Italian, and Arabian theaters. One of the actual good things BF1 is doing is making people aware of the diversity and scale of the war.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I didn't see a bolt-action for medics. All I saw was the Selbstlader on top of the alpha weapons.

It wasn't in game it was mentioned in the promotional material sent out to everyone who was invited to play on either of the celebrity/YouTuber streams. Just imagine those old preview copys of movies except it was blurry rear end 720p with a giant NDA and id # floating around the screen. And the droning voice of some ad guy trying to explain the game like he was talking to people who had never heard of video games before.

^^^^^ that part is one of the main goals of the design of bf1. Showing other parts of the war and highlighting interesting battles and things that are not always looked at a lot when it comes to ww1.

xyigx fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It's kind of funny that some honkey was in this thread yesterday complaining that weapon customization in other BF games made the guns too similar and now some crackers are complaining that by not having weapon types that cross between classes DICE is doing it wrong.

Please join the CTS mumble so we can laugh at your inability to have fun playing a video game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I missed the "everyone has walkie talkies" line the first time. Jesus Christ.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

xyigx posted:

It wasn't in game it was mentioned in the promotional material sent out to everyone who was invited to play on either of the celebrity/YouTuber streams. Just imagine those old preview copys of movies except it was blurry rear end 720p with a giant NDA and id # floating around the screen. And the droning voice of some ad guy trying to explain the game like he was talking to people who had never heard of video games before.

Huh. Either way, I couldn't imagine what it'd be.

My biggest reservation for the game is that I'm still not super-stoked about giving everybody the possibility of having scopes in this game. Was kinda lame when anyone could hit you at any distance with any weapon in 3 and 4. Hopefully the cone of fire and dropoff systems won't let it amount to much.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sarmhan posted:

The weapon choice is also an important element of game balance. They wanted to give each class specific roles and range brackets, which wasn't really true in BF3/4 with all-class DMRs/carbines.
Here there's a clear range bracket for each class
Close Range- Assault
Mid Range- Medic and Support
Long Range- Recon

Having all-class weapons would eat into this.

This why I'm pretty excited too, no more jack of all trade "classes".
I also can't wait for the massively toned down weapon customization, it made unlocking poo poo in BF4 a friggin nightmare of comparing-stats-on-gear-in-an-MMORPG-levels of autism.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Digirat posted:

Although it wouldn't be the first time they've done something similar. In battlefield 2, US army soldiers could deploy with a shotgun that was never actually produced and IIRC had like 30 janky prototypes ever made. that one didn't really bother me though because it wasn't losing a chance to make the most of the setting, unlike BF1's silly prototype guns.

you mean the jackhammer? or that default shotty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKGhqIl4Gw

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-no Commander

just go play this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco_32in2UE
and a video that's not shameless advertising of my channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RPMsqUKfE

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdF_CBtonA

Chewie... we're home. :allears:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, that teleported me back to the long-rear end load screens I'd have to sit through on my crappo computer playing bf42.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

:vince:

for some reason it doesn't feel ww1-ish enough, maybe I haven't heard enough period music

...also :kheldragar: is in the can't-wait-to-delete smilies pile :(

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-no Commander

Lets start from the top
1. Correct, a little weird on the no France thing and honestly one of my few gripes.
2. Other than their speed, the tanks behave pretty similarly to what you would expect from their design and even though they are faster than they should be they are no where near as mobile as the LAV 25.
3. This kind of irked me, but I got over it, Recon gets bolts (which look pretty powerful) Medic gets semis, Support gets machine guns and assault gets SMGs. Every class has a pre-determined roll and preferred engagement distance which is vastly superior to the all classes are pretty much the same from bf3/4.
4. Other than scopes I really haven't seen many attachments.
5. Literally only the train was on rails, like, how else would you handle it? The zeppelin could be freely flown anywhere and would die and create cover over wherever it was.
6. The rockets look OK, but the cannon attack plane looked pretty lack luster and a common complaint of the alpha was that other than the bomber air had very little impact on the ground game (this is a good thing) If you are going to rain death on the ground troops you had better make a choice to dedicate yourself to it (pick the bomber) Rocket pod jets in Bf3 were super annoying.
7. Every class has access to gas weapons, tanks can drop gas and bombers can drop gas bombs. There is a mobile artillery truck but honestly artillery is probably really boring gameplay for both parties involved.
8. Yeah commander is gone kinda miss that.
9. It looks more like certain sections of a much larger map are used for the different modes, similar to how they handled rush and conquest on the same maps in BF3, which had some of the best rush gameplay.
10. Kind of a weird change, and they have said they are open to changing it on reddit depending on the beta feedback. Honestly if it ends up making people giving less of a poo poo about K/D and play the drat objective then its all good. Kinda feels like this and the revive change takes a little bit of fire away from medics, but honestly they probably deserved a nerf. I mean killing a room full of dudes to have one surviving guy revive them all BF3 was kinda lame.
11. Other than the very strange robot announcer lady (another gripe I have) Literally all other information is yelled to you by nearby soldiers, there are no radios.

Bob Wins fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 26, 2016

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Huh. Either way, I couldn't imagine what it'd be.

My biggest reservation for the game is that I'm still not super-stoked about giving everybody the possibility of having scopes in this game. Was kinda lame when anyone could hit you at any distance with any weapon in 3 and 4. Hopefully the cone of fire and dropoff systems won't let it amount to much.

It is really not to bad so far while you can hit people relatively far out but your really just tickling them outside of 30 meters or so due to the fairly steep damage drop-off on smgs, They are really making a attempt to have effective range matter on all weapons. I mean I am sure there will be and need to be balancing. But really thats any fps. What you want and what the goal is are the same I think, so at the least the design goals are what you want. I really hope the manage it and I am certainly willing to give them the try.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Has it been said somewhere how attachments work this time around? Specifically what attachments there are, what they do, etc.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Interesting thought. If I see sniper glint I shoot above and to the right a bit for my head shots. But now with the side mounted scopes that method is not foolproof anymore. At least sniper duels might actually take more than one shot this way plus the scope is a physics object so you might hit it instead of the sniper.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
If the scope glint is even there at all, nearly all of the weather patterns that we have seen remove them.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Soldier stats and stuff displayed anywhere? is the server browser portion of battlelog gone or all of it?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bummed that commander is gone but it hasn't really been the same since it became a detached mode rather than a player role and commander assets were moved off-map.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It was cool in bf2 because it added another layer of gameplay with having defend the commander and the assets occasionally but I guess the chance of having people go into uncap spawn was too much for the pubbies

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

afkmacro posted:

Soldier stats and stuff displayed anywhere? is the server browser portion of battlelog gone or all of it?

I hope they keep all the detailed soldier stats. That stuff was really interesting.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Commander was really cool in BF2 if you had a decent server. This goes for 2142 as well if I'm remembering correctly. You had your squad that could all communicate with each other, and each squad leader had a separate keybind for talking directly to the commander who could voice chat to all the squad leaders on the team. It made for some nice tactical play, and it was fun to get points for following orders. Some of my best memories involved assaulting points and holding them against the inevitable counter assault while the other squads were doing work in other places on the map.

It really helped the matches feel a lot less like a deathmatch and a lot more like an action movie. If you found a server with cool bros to play with anyway. I played on TacticalGamer servers most of the time because they made teamplay a policy and generally weren't assholes about anything when I was active.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I think DICE collectively forgot what tactics are around the time they developed Frostbite.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah. The newer games actually have, you know, good shooting but BF2 was definitely the hight of teamplay. Like, you could join any random public server and expect the commander spots to be filled and for squad captains to actually give some drat orders. And the reason I played specops almost exclusively was so that I could sneak around and blow those drat howitzer batteries. I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever seen someone take the commander seat in BF4 was in one of those German Classic servers.

I'm not trying to be all platform warrior or anything, but it really is a case where a game's been dumbed down for console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm probably way late for this, but :lmafo: at that LevelCap video about Conquest scoring. Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread