Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

http://news.psu.edu/story/409338/2016/05/08/president/president-shares-letter-university-community-regarding-recent

PSU President Eric Barron posted:

May 8, 2016

Dear Friends:

Over the past few days, allegations have surfaced from individuals who claim to be Sandusky victims and from unidentified individuals about the alleged knowledge of former University employees. None of these allegations about the supposed knowledge of University employees has been substantiated in a court of law or in any other process to test their veracity.

I want you to know I am appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations. All too often in our society, people are convicted in the court of public opinion, only to find a different outcome when all the facts are presented.

In contrast, over the last two days we have worked to be diligent in reanalyzing the record of reports and depositions to ensure that our reactions and comments are both responsible and trustworthy.

First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.

Second, we cannot find any evidence, related to a settlement or otherwise, that an alleged early assault was communicated to Coach Paterno. This raises considerable credibility issues as to this press report. Others cite assistant coaches that were witnesses or had knowledge – stating it as fact in headlines and text – even in the face of a denial and clear failure to corroborate from the individuals allegedly involved. Other stories are clearly incredulous, and should be difficult for any reasonable person to believe. We should not be rendering judgments about the actions of Coach Paterno or any other former employees of Penn State based on incomplete, sensationalized media accounts.

I can think of few crimes as heinous as the sexual assault of a child. We are, as individuals and as an institution, appalled by Sandusky’s actions, and unified in our commitment to prevention, treatment and education. I encourage you to visit this link for information on Penn State’s commitment.

Unfortunately, we can’t control the 24/7 news cycle, and the tendency of some individuals in social media and the blogosphere to rush to judgment. But I have had enough of the continued trial of the institution in various media. We have all had enough. And while Penn State cannot always comment on allegations that emanate from legal proceedings, I thought it was important to let you know my reaction to the media frenzy that has ensued over the past few days. I am appalled.

Sincerely,

Eric Barron
President

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Appalled! :argh:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
To be fair, it's not an entirely unreasonable response

"we have absolutely no evidence with which to prove or disprove these allegations, and we cannot accept them as fact because of this" is a completely reasonable position for an institution to take.

Being so defensive about it is some really bad PR though.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Can someone tell me what Joe Paterno did

He saved many weekends from ruin.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"we have absolutely no evidence with which to prove or disprove these allegations, and we cannot accept them as fact because of this" is a completely reasonable position for an institution to take.

Yeah, the tone is just all kinds of wrong. It's an appeal to the PSU die-hards, but to everyone else he looks like an insensitive jackass.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

who is the father of my child. sOMEONE TELL ME

Andy Doltos

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
That damned lamestream media is the real criminal here!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't think I've ever been appalled by anything

oh except when sandusky spent all those years raping kids and nobody stopped him

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Probably just give the place the death penalty at this point. Shutter the schools imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Can someone tell me what Joe Paterno did
ran off the field early becaus ehe pooped in his pants once

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Parmesan Basil posted:

Probably just give the place the death penalty at this point. Shutter the schools imo

Not the administrative term but the actual death penalty.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ehud posted:

I don't think I've ever been appalled by anything

oh except when sandusky spent all those years raping kids and nobody stopped him

What about when u first saw goatse.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

FIRST TIME posted:

Not the administrative term but the actual death penalty.

Lethally inject the stadium.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Quest For Glory II posted:

ran off the field early becaus ehe pooped in his pants once

I remember watching that live lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
2016 has reinforced two things I've always held to be true- if you never apologize (Trump), and never write anything down (Penn State), you're basically golden.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man, as someone who was still hard on the Paterno legion during this time its impossible to describe everything that was running through our minds at the time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i thought desecrating the flag was a punishable offense

Nov 6, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man, as someone who was still hard on the Paterno legion during this time its impossible to describe everything that was running through our minds at the time

Was it a rhythmic slapping sound?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toilet Mouth posted:

2016 has reinforced two things I've always held to be true- if you never apologize (Trump), and never write anything down (Penn State), you're basically golden.

Himmler said the same thing about the Holocaust!

That statue was ugly anyhow. Plus I don't like statues unless you're a general on horseback.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
kill the NCAA imo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dubious posted:

kill the NCAA imo

Now we're getting to some real solutions.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Probably Magic posted:

Now we're getting to some real solutions.

Make them pay income tax. (And the players)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Huh, this dude was president of Florida State when the Jameis stuff came down.

Alongside James Franklin those are a couple of puzzling hires.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Yeah, the tone is just all kinds of wrong. It's an appeal to the PSU die-hards, but to everyone else he looks like an insensitive jackass.

The tone is all sorts of right, when you consider that guy is a glorified fund raiser who knows where his bread is buttered.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Heaven and Hell are real.

They're made up of and ran by red blooded americans so guess where all you pussy liberals are ending up (not heaven)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

James Franklin's greatest victory as a head coach is a win over an 8-win, injury-depleted Georgia team wherein one of Georgia's best defensive players was ejected for this:

So bad they reformed the rule.

And so Penn State, with an 18-wheeler of baggage, hires a record of that caliber that also comes with an 18-wheeler of baggage. Good job guys!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/09/penn-state-payments-cover-sandusky-accusations-from-as-far-back-as-1971/

quote:

Penn State confirmed Sunday that its payouts to alleged victims of sexual abuse by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky cover incidents that date from 1971, the Associated Press reported. That confirmation followed an open letter from university President Eric Barron, who wrote that he was “appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations.”

the innuendo surrounding our payments relating to the crimes...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

D.N. Nation posted:

James Franklin's greatest victory as a head coach is a win over an 8-win, injury-depleted Georgia team wherein one of Georgia's best defensive players was ejected for this:

So bad they reformed the rule.

Conterpoint: Vandy before and after James Franklin

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like how the ref is waiting with the flag in his hand lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

To be fair that is how settlements work

Nov 6, 2002

We are very upset the details of our secret payment to rape victims have been revealed. We now have to ask ourselves, who is the real victim here?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Welp, should have Death Penaltied. :commissar:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NC-17 posted:

We are very upset the details of our secret payment to rape victims have been revealed.

It was a settlement

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dottie Sandusky will get to the bottom of all of this.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dennis Hastert is quickly writing a letter of support for the Paternos.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Cthulhumatic posted:

Who used to have the avatar with Paterno superimposed on the concentration camp gates? That should be the background of this thread.

Hagetaka. He kinda disappeared but I think he's alive again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Drone strike Penn State.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Dottie Sandusky will get to the bottom of all of this.

I feel bad for Dottie. Imagine trusting this man for so long only to have him betray your trust by not vehemently standing up for your husband during the such a silly little thing as a child sex scandal. Paterno wasn't a good coach or a good friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel you have a PM.

• Locked thread