Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Dreddout posted:

This robot shows competence on par with someone who has just been startled awake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_NdnYrDzY
Meet your replacement, gbs! :smugbert:

so... we can gently caress it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

It's not just the service industry, it's hitting the legal industry as well. My current project involves training an algorithm what to look for in automatically redacting legal documents. I am literally putting myself out of a loving job.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
^^^ also this

RobattoJesus posted:

The checkout machine at my local supermarket requires supervision 40% of the time, it didn't stop them sacking 10 cashiers and replacing them with 10 robots and a fat old lady with a swipe card who presses buttons when the machines gently caress up (which is all the goddamn time)

it's hilarious watching people shrug off a 90% workforce reduction because it literally isn't every employee replaced

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Germstore posted:

Wouldn't you want an automated judge?

This is a far more interesting question than the surgeon and driver stuff (which is only a matter of time). But a robot judge would be almost impossible because how the gently caress do you codify morality and fairness into a set of logical rules that a robot can follow?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Mange Mite posted:

No you really can't

How would they ever 3d map every road in the country? Strap a 3d scanner on the top of cars and pay people to drive them around? Pfft, that's never going to happen, some company would have to pay a huge amount of money to get such a view of the street, a Street View if you will.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

No you really can't

why not?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RobattoJesus posted:

This is a far more interesting question than the surgeon and driver stuff (which is only a matter of time). But a robot judge would be almost impossible because how the gently caress do you codify morality and fairness into a set of logical rules that a robot can follow?

Actually that's the easy part, the hard part is being able to turn the extremely vague and weird world into something that can enter a deductive logical process, which is almost impossible and is specifically the thing computers are the worst at

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

runupon cracker posted:

^^^ also this

it's hilarious watching people shrug off a 90% workforce reduction because it literally isn't every employee replaced

So what's the end game here? A poo poo ton of unemployed, bored, hungry people is a recipe for disaster.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

There's some big papers done on the subject but basically no Google's approach does not scale well and will not work in the foreseeable future

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ronwayne posted:

So what's the end game here? A poo poo ton of unemployed, bored, hungry people is a recipe for disaster.

probably going to eventually have to suck it up and instate some sort of universal minimum income.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I think a lot of people are underestimating how complex surgery is.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

opus111 posted:

I think a lot of people are underestimating how complex surgery is.

Apparently it's as hard as being a grocery store cashier

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ronwayne posted:

Something something NWO something Mega City One something should have studied STEM something we'll just retrain them for the new market something gig economy something

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Hogge Wild posted:

id like to see ais try to replace my shitposting

poor, naive fool

http://imgur.com/gallery/18R0C

they already have

and it was so good at it Microsoft shut it down in a panic

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

poor, naive fool

http://imgur.com/gallery/18R0C

they already have

and it was so good at it Microsoft shut it down in a panic

Ok this is the best argument for ai so far

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

This kind of wilful idiocy is going to be hard for robots to replicate.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mange Mite posted:

what do you do for a living

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ronwayne posted:

maybe mass human death, maybe full communism? it could go either way i suppose. of course even full communism would be a bandaid, if we ever make a computer thats actually smarter than a human we are finished as a species.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

It's not just the service industry, it's hitting the legal industry as well. My current project involves training an algorithm what to look for in automatically redacting legal documents. I am literally putting myself out of a loving job.
Deliberately gently caress it up, imo.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Yea you're obligated to sabotage the effort to replace you.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Rutibex posted:

maybe mass human death, maybe full communism? it could go either way i suppose. of course even full communism would be a bandaid, if we ever make a computer thats actually smarter than a human we are finished as a species.

Terminator imagry and Nick Land-style annihilation by the Machine God aside, how is rent gonna be paid and food bought and the corporate entities involved compensated for their time and effort? Out of work proles don't have money to spend unless you have a universal dole as was mentioned.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BF30vH_Ebs

This, but with humans.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mange Mite posted:

There's some big papers done on the subject but basically no Google's approach does not scale well and will not work in the foreseeable future

"Some big papers"

RobattoJesus posted:

This kind of wilful idiocy is going to be hard for robots to replicate.

Rutibex posted:

Fuckin finally

citybeatnik posted:

Nothing like digging your own grave. Time to throw a monkey wrench into the cogs

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
Goons are really freaking dumb. Yeah let's "go into healthcare" in sure all healthcare roles aren't teetering on the brink of video phoning into a call center full of NPs making 30k per year. I too have no vision.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

jBrereton posted:

Deliberately gently caress it up, imo.

Toadvine posted:

Yea you're obligated to sabotage the effort to replace you.

Wamdoodle posted:

Nothing like digging your own grave. Time to throw a monkey wrench into the cogs

The end goal is to use the success of the project as a stepping stone up the ladder in to management, there-by securing my own future at the expense of everyone that follows.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ronwayne posted:

Terminator imagry and Nick Land-style annihilation by the Machine God aside, how is rent gonna be paid and food bought and the corporate entities involved compensated for their time and effort? Out of work proles don't have money to spend unless you have a universal dole as was mentioned.

i think it will come down to a calculus of which is cheaper: universal welfare or robot police

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

Machines are the worst at complex visual tasks and constantly shifting environments with limited information so yeah anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

Toadvine posted:

I have several family members working in transplant management and I've discussed this with them on several occasions. Routine procedures (like organ/tissue removal) require a human to identify the parts that stay and the parts that go, otherwise the bus basically drives itself.

That's why it scares me so much. I figured even just with every human being different sizes, that stuff is dangerous enough. But I see articles online periodically about 'Robots can do this invasive surgery now and use tubes to tunnel and remove such and such more steadily than any human hand ever could' It just makes me think people are really interested in it and expect it to be some perfectionist, because "No human error." But even if we lived hundreds of years from now when it was the norm, it would still terrify me.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Hrist posted:

That's why it scares me so much. I figured even just with every human being different sizes, that stuff is dangerous enough. But I see articles online periodically about 'Robots can do this invasive surgery now and use tubes to tunnel and remove such and such more steadily than any human hand ever could' It just makes me think people are really interested in it and expect it to be some perfectionist, because "No human error." But even if we lived hundreds of years from now when it was the norm, it would still terrify me.

Don't worry, the newly announced nVidia 1080 graphics card is "the largest chip project endeavor in the history of humanity" so we've got our priorities straight. The world's R&D money is dedicated to allowing us to pwn noobs in 4k instead of doing lame poo poo like life-saving robot surgeons.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

RobattoJesus posted:

Don't worry, the newly announced nVidia 1080 graphics card is "the largest chip project endeavor in the history of humanity" so we've got our priorities straight. The world's R&D money is dedicated to allowing us to pwn noobs in 4k instead of doing lame poo poo like life-saving robot surgeons.

Actually
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-supercomputing-solutions.html
we're hosed

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

drat straight. You did however miss the nVidia release a couple weeks ago where they have cards that can drive cards, deep learn, render mt. everest in real time, and make art. Goons (myself included) only give a poo poo about more pretty explosions on our screens.

There's an old hilarous video card commercial along those lines though, where they talk about how the card can save lives, grow food, etc, and then "nah, we'll use it for games" and they show all the peeps dying. Can't find it at all sadly :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

The end goal is to use the success of the project as a stepping stone up the ladder in to management, there-by securing my own future at the expense of everyone that follows.

Bad news: your boss has already
internalized this mindset, hence why you're programming your replacement and not his. Maybe you don't have what it takes to climb the legal ladder after all...

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I work in AI and I make six figgies a year and I'm a freaking reatard hahahaha.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i automate people's jobs away for a living

it's pretty fun

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

RobattoJesus posted:

Goon fundamentally misunderstands thing by only looking at it from a video game perspective.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hrist posted:

When they say robots they dont mean autonomous robots they mean instruments operated by actual surgeons which they call robots because it sounds cooler. And so far robot assisted surgery has same or worse outcomes than conventional surgery but reps push it anyway and it's popular among old surgeons who are physically borderline hoping it csn give them anothee 5 years before they're forced to retire

Also the thing people are less tolerant of than human error is machine error. A human can apologize or be punished, but a computer usually means whoever made it is responsible, legally snd otherwise.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

oh so you're just making poo poo up, gotcha

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

runupon cracker posted:

oh so you're just making poo poo up, gotcha

Lol if you think im doing work for gbs. Not unless you pay me what i make (a lot)

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Minimalist Program posted:

Goon fundamentally misunderstands thing by only looking at it from a video game perspective.

To be fair I don't even own a PC and just saw some nerds at work jizzing over the 1080, and when the nVidia guy was all "lol we spent enough money to go to mars lol" I started running around the office shouting JESUS gently caress, what the hell are we even doing as a species.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if you think im doing work for gbs. Not unless you pay me what i make (a lot)

I'm sure you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RobattoJesus posted:

To be fair I don't even own a PC and just saw some nerds at work jizzing over the 1080, and when the nVidia guy was all "lol we spent enough money to go to mars lol" I started running around the office shouting JESUS gently caress, what the hell are we even doing as a species.

Mars is as worthless as video games dude

• Locked thread