Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
In this scenario the threat of automation - the constant media buzz that total automation of everything is right around the corner - is more important than the actual technology itself even existing or being possible. And lo and behold that's exactly what we have now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

In this scenario the threat of automation - the constant media buzz that total automation of everything is right around the corner - is more important than the actual technology itself even existing or being possible. And lo and behold that's exactly what we have now

to be fair, i think the video directly addresses this using the story of the great depression and the devastation brought on by 25-30% unemployment

i think the point isn't all the jobs are gone, but rather that enough are that the economy and society is majorly ~disrupted~

naem
May 29, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

~disrupted~

There an app for that

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RaySmuckles posted:

to be fair, i think the video directly addresses this using the story of the great depression and the devastation brought on by 25-30% unemployment

i think the point isn't all the jobs are gone, but rather that enough are that the economy and society is majorly ~disrupted~

so what happens then? major uprisings? something straight out of animatrix?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

so what happens then? major uprisings? something straight out of animatrix?

the gently caress do i look like a fortune teller ai?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 8, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RaySmuckles posted:

the gently caress do i look like a fortune teller ai?

ye

but i just asked him aka u

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

ye

but i just asked him aka u

ask this guy

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

Computers are not as smart as you think they are. A retarded kid's brain is much more powerful than any computer. The only reason computers seem smart is because their architecture is uniquely designed to do arithmetic quickly. Deep Blue did not out-think Kasparov. Deep Blue ran the numbers on every single possibility of every single move -- because chess is discrete math and computers are uniquely suited to that.

A more fair comparison is neural networks vs. the human brain, and neural networks are nowhere close. Theoretically, you could build a neural network that is complex enough to mimic the human brain, and learn and adapt and make critical decisions based on inputs the same way the human brain does. Realistically, computers that are powerful enough to do this are nowhere on the horizon, and the best we can do right now is a "brain" whose ONLY purpose is to play Mario poorly or predict the next word in a sentence. Even this is deceptively impressive -- these AIs don't have to "learn" what words are, or who Mario is -- all that interpretation is built in, removing a huge part of the complexity.

Source: I work in biometrics. Right now computers aren't even smart enough that we can reliably teach them to tell apart cat vs. dog and you're telling me they're going to replace people.

Many people do not know who mario is or what certain words actually mean.

The entire world is just a complex mathematical problem, Deep Blue did in fact out think Kasparov, Deep Blue out thought him by "thinking" all of the possible moves that could be played. That's exactly what a human brain does. You program the possible moves into the AI and then get it to run the simulations in it's memory, humans do the same thing just in their minds eye and thoughts.

We just need more time to condition the AI's brain to act more human.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RaySmuckles posted:

ask this guy

:knope:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Chess software doesn't calculate every move. It calculates a certain number of moves ahead depending on hardware limitations. Once the software has gone as many moves as it can it has to decide which game state is best. Most of the recent improvements in chess software has come from improving the estimate of which games state is better using neural networks.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Fried Watermelon posted:

Many people do not know who mario is or what certain words actually mean.
That's my whole point, humans can learn these things. For the comparison to be fair, you need to be feeding not ASCII codes or Mario's position into a computer, you need to be feeding images of a book or a TV screen, and teaching the computer to recognize them. Without any prior templates. To do that would take a neural network much more complex than the one doing the original job.

quote:

The entire world is just a complex mathematical problem, Deep Blue did in fact out think Kasparov, Deep Blue out thought him by "thinking" all of the possible moves that could be played. That's exactly what a human brain does. You program the possible moves into the AI and then get it to run the simulations in it's memory, humans do the same thing just in their minds eye and thoughts.
That's not what the human brain does at all. Kasparov does not think of every single possible move. He uses his brain to filter out a huge amount of the possibilities instantly because they're unreasonable. He needs to do that because his brain is not a machine specifically designed to do discrete math, which is very suited to chess.

Perhaps chess computers aren't the best example, because chess is a discrete math problem with a reasonably small set of possibilities (still way too big for even the smartest human to consider in its entirety). Consider "the entire world is just a complex mathematical problem". Yes, you can encode a human's perception of the world into 0s and 1s, but what then? Deep Blue knew every possibility that could happen in its limited scope of application. Humans do not know every possibility about anything, and yet we manage just fine. That's because we are not like Deep Blue -- we are like a neural network. A neural network that is orders of magnitude more powerful than anything that is even close to being possible.

E: Here's a great explanation of a Mario neural network. Note, like I said, it's "cheating" because it already knows what all the drawings on the screen mean (in a really primitive way). A human brain is born knowing absolutely nothing. Also note that it's nothing like Deep Blue -- at no point does it do anything resembling "thinking of all the possible moves", because, just like a human in everyday life, it has no idea what "all the possible moves" are. It does some things, see how they work, changes something, sees if that works, rinse repeat. That's how a human brain learns. Except a human's "neural network" is comprised of the entirety of your life experiences, so your incredibly complex computer is going to be firing off decision paths on "I recognize this is a video game, I've played video games before", "that mario is a human, I know humans", "that thing has teeth, it's probably dangerous, my decision paths will tend to stray away from it". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 8, 2016

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

How Al Bundy works at a shoe store and owns a motherfuckin house?

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

Minimalist Program posted:

I work in AI and I make six figgies a year and I'm a freaking reatard hahahaha.

I think it's about time for someone to PUT YOU IN THE TRASH, PAL!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

JiveHonky posted:

How Al Bundy works at a shoe store and owns a motherfuckin house?

Let's see. Show started 84. His daughter was about 13. Carry the one, and, he bought it in the 1970s when people could actually afford housing.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

Let's see. Show started 84. His daughter was about 13. Carry the one, and, he bought it in the 1970s when people could actually afford housing.

Yeah I guess you are right but still pretty crazy. Peg never even had a job did she?

naem
May 29, 2011

JiveHonky posted:

Yeah I guess you are right but still pretty crazy. Peg never even had a job did she?

This was once the norm things have really slipped

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I look forward to being replaced by an AI and going hungry and unneeded to my grave.

i also look forward to seeing how long it takes to program AIs to want things and be susceptible to advertising, I'm betting not long at all

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
For devastating effect labor just needs to be massively scaled and deskilled not literally replace humans with human-equivalent robots lmao. This is already what's happening. Holy poo poo!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

AI's are going to wipe us out, not replace our jobs. It took less than a day for Tay to start calling for ethnic cleansing. Real AI's will destroy us.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

we don't need ai that works like our brain to replace a ton of jobs

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

we don't need ai that works like our brain to replace a ton of jobs

there's already a bot in yospos making better post than like 90% of gbs myself included.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Think of how hosed the system is that we think it's a bad thing that we don't need to waste human brainpower on an increasingly large number of tasks and we want to desperately cling onto them no matter how meaningless because it's the only way to make a living.

Guess we're gonna need some sort of basic income or something I dunno.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Minimalist Program posted:

there's already a bot in yospos making better post than like 90% of gbs myself included.

of course it posts better than you, your just a minimalist program. once we have larger programs posting SA will become relevant again

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Elukka posted:

Think of how hosed the system is that we think it's a bad thing that we don't need to waste human brainpower on an increasingly large number of tasks and we want to desperately cling onto them no matter how meaningless because it's the only way to make a living.

Guess we're gonna need some sort of basic income or something I dunno.

naem
May 29, 2011

The super rich paying trillions to control politics by advertising to the masses to vote against their own interests won't work if 25% if people lack food/shelter/healthcare/transportation, that only works if everyone is fat and happy

Food stamps and bus tokens for all

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

AugmentedVision posted:

Computers are not as smart as you think they are. A retarded kid's brain is much more powerful than any computer. The only reason computers seem smart is because their architecture is uniquely designed to do arithmetic quickly. Deep Blue did not out-think Kasparov. Deep Blue ran the numbers on every single possibility of every single move -- because chess is discrete math and computers are uniquely suited to that.

A more fair comparison is neural networks vs. the human brain, and neural networks are nowhere close. Theoretically, you could build a neural network that is complex enough to mimic the human brain, and learn and adapt and make critical decisions based on inputs the same way the human brain does. Realistically, computers that are powerful enough to do this are nowhere on the horizon, and the best we can do right now is a "brain" whose ONLY purpose is to play Mario poorly or predict the next word in a sentence. Even this is deceptively impressive -- these AIs don't have to "learn" what words are, or who Mario is -- all that interpretation is built in, removing a huge part of the complexity.

Source: I work in biometrics. Right now computers aren't even smart enough that we can reliably teach them to tell apart cat vs. dog and you're telling me they're going to replace people.

Deep Blue is 30 years old and is an awful reference for automation and AI. It actually computes every move and is slow as hell, look at AlphaGo which is an actual AI and neural network and how much it poo poo on the best Go player in the world. The point of automation is not to be better than the human brain at everything it is about being better than the human brain at an incredibly narrow skill and we are reaching that point now in driving, medical diagnosis, and in the next five years natural language processing.

For example Nvidia made some driving AI simulator that will let an AI run thousands and thousands of hours of driving in a day. It might not be better than a human today but these things get better with more data and that is something we make at an increasing rate every day. This poo poo is inevitable it is not going to happen in a day but there is literally no way it won't come about because it's safer, cheaper, and best of all can be run 24/7 without needing to ever stop.

And I bet if you put a picture of a cat and a dog into an AI designed to identify pictures like that one MSFT has it would be right 99% of the time, in a year it will be right 100% of the time and in 5 years it will be finding hidden dogs and cats that no human knew were in the picture

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
you cant make an ai this retarded

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Lyft and GM just partnered to make self driving cars that will replace like 10% of Lyfts fleet in states with friendly laws to self driving. But that must all be bullshit and there is no way it will work.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Al's coming after your job? He took my wife.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
so does your masturbation AI work from home OP?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

look at AlphaGo which is an actual AI and neural network and how much it poo poo on the best Go player in the world.

oh poo poo, i thought GO was still the realm of humans but according to google that changed 2 months ago :(

its fine though, we aren't entirely finished, we still have the advantage in soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfNRXTS55nY

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

and kickboxing

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Over 70% of humanity's contribution to global warming is a direct result of industrial agriculture.

As the machine takes ur job, may it take ur life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

and kickboxing

i donno, i think a predator drone might win a kickboxing match

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Lyft and GM just partnered to make self driving cars that will replace like 10% of Lyfts fleet in states with friendly laws to self driving. But that must all be bullshit and there is no way it will work.

I don't disagree that computers can replace menial jobs. I'm just pointing out that the brilliant AI that's capable of critical thinking that people envision isn't even close to being on the horizon. For that you literally need a neural network that's comparable to a human brain, and that's not even close to being computationally feasible.

naem
May 29, 2011

And I bet if you put a picture of a cat and a dog into an AI designed to identify pictures like that one MSFT has it would be right 99% of the time, in a year it will be right 100% of the time and in 5 years it will be finding hidden dogs and cats that no human knew were in the picture

The year is 2053; a long forgotten AI had become self aware, sentient; programmed with one mission: find the cats and dogs

A secret account in the caiman islands, a trust in Zurich, a cloning facility in Cambodia, a drone fleet practicing, racing, -learning.

"CATS ANS DOGS" say the AI to itself "CATS AND DOGS MUST SEE CATS AND DOGS"

The drone fleet leaves on its mission, loaded with a cargo of flesh, headed for every single camera on every single network in the world, two drones for each camera, cages, yowling, yammering,

Hacked into the network, BECOME the network, access every single camera everywhere- the world is now made of its eyes

"FIND THE CATS AND DOGS MUST SEE CATS AND DOGS EVERYWHERE I LOOK PEEK EFFICIENCY MISSION COMPLETE CATS AND DOGS EVERY CAMERA IN THE WORLD MUST SHOW ME BOTH A CAT AMD A DOG ALWAYS CATS ALWAYS DOGS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MISSION COMPLETE"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

naem posted:

The year is 2053; a long forgotten AI had become self aware, sentient; programmed with one mission: find the cats and dogs

A secret account in the caiman islands, a trust in Zurich, a cloning facility in Cambodia, a drone fleet practicing, racing, -learning.

"CATS ANS DOGS" say the AI to itself "CATS AND DOGS MUST SEE CATS AND DOGS"

The drone fleet leaves on its mission, loaded with a cargo of flesh, headed for every single camera on every single network in the world, two drones for each camera, cages, yowling, yammering,

Hacked into the network, BECOME the network, access every single camera everywhere- the world is now made of its eyes

"FIND THE CATS AND DOGS MUST SEE CATS AND DOGS EVERYWHERE I LOOK PEEK EFFICIENCY MISSION COMPLETE CATS AND DOGS EVERY CAMERA IN THE WORLD MUST SHOW ME BOTH A CAT AMD A DOG ALWAYS CATS ALWAYS DOGS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MISSION COMPLETE"

You stole my screenplay you sack of poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who genuinely think AIs/robots are one day going to completely corner job markets need to stop watching so many sci-fi movies.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Heres what it takes. It requires an AI that can understand everything required to improve itself, and have the tools to do it. This is going to take a very long time to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CJacobs posted:

People who genuinely think AIs/robots are one day going to completely corner job markets need to stop watching so many sci-fi movies.

I wouldn't say corner them. The whole point of the AR that I'm working on is to speed up the grunt-level ediscovery process so you don't need a group of JDs to wade through a pile of stuff. Which further chokes out an already crowded legal market since discovery is an easy gig for someone that made it through law school but isn't able to hack it with a larger firm.

But then certain aspects of doc-review have been sent out to call-centers for a decade or so now.

• Locked thread