Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wit
Jul 26, 2011
Please dont link your shitey band here, a bad link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Windows 98 posted:

How can the island function at all with 90% unemployment?

The Australian government pays Nauru a ton of money to warehouse refugees.

It's also a developing nation, so the whole "jobs" thing isn't really comparable to first world economies.

As mentioned upthread, there are a lot of tiny Pacific Islands with small populations and no real infrastructure or central economy where people survive at subsistence level. Indonesia alone has 13,000 islands.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 9, 2016

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lolie posted:

It's also a developing nation, so the whole "jobs" thing isn't really comparable to first world economies.
You really can't call an island that will be underwater in 10 or 15 years a "developing nation". It's more like undeveloping.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Prettz posted:

You really can't call an island that will be underwater in 10 or 15 years a "developing nation". It's more like undeveloping.

Being a sunken island will probably at least attract divers and make it a more desirable location to visit than it is now.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the rare Pepe.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Here is Grytviken, on South Georgia Island.
While it is not further south than larger places on Tierra del Fuego, it is colder and more isolated due to the conditions in the "Roaring Forties" of the Southern Ocean.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 10, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thanks op i learned about a island and also some other islands

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
They are the good energy aliens from warcraft. Also she is one of the godesses from zelda. HTH.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

glowing-fish posted:

Here is Grytviken, on South Georgia Island.
While it is not further south than larger places on Tierra del Fuego, it is colder and more isolated due to the conditions in the "Roaring Forties" of the Southern Ocean.

I want to take over one of the mountainous islands, and carve a network of tunnels into those mountains to make a fortress. Drill down and set up some underwater entrances. It would be super rad.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Johnny Aztec posted:

I want to take over one of the mountainous islands, and carve a network of tunnels into those mountains to make a fortress. Drill down and set up some underwater entrances. It would be super rad.

That sounds like a ton of work. where are you gonna get all the workers for a project that big on such a tiny island?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

this place is literally a shithole. and theyre running out of poo poo.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

boom boom boom posted:

That sounds like a ton of work. where are you gonna get all the workers for a project that big on such a tiny island?

Go to a post-apocalyptic city in the US of 20XX and find the thugs hanging out holding metal pipes to help construct and guard your island fortress.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

zakharov posted:

The Nauruan economy was based on bird poo poo and now that all the phosphates are gone the economy is Totally hosed.

You forgot to mention that the Boeing 737-300 they later got, cost them 30% of their GDP.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think they invested in a whole lot of ridiculous poo poo. I think a decade or so ago they were the highest GDP per capita in the world.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

I think they invested in a whole lot of ridiculous poo poo. I think a decade or so ago they were the highest GDP per capita in the world.

It was 40-50 years ago, back when superphosphate bounties were a thing.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

boom boom boom posted:

Dwarves, of course

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't they just buy loads of birds and feed them taco bell so they poo poo everywhere?

Also where the gently caress is that AMA guy who said he lived there? I want answers, and I want them now.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's dgsw obv.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Can you make phosphate out of human poo poo? Could be a lead there.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

0dB posted:

Can you make phosphate out of human poo poo? Could be a lead there.

Human poo poo does contain phosphates you'd still need to process it and the problem is there are billions of humans everywhere else

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

spud posted:

Why were you there?
Why don't they shoot the packs of dogs?

Working to help the refugees and asylum seekers.

They do, and they did after that girl was killed, but they keep coming back because they hide in the forests and multiply quickly.

Malinois posted:

How was the surf?

I got caught in a rip one time and nearly died, but a fishing boat came by and picked me up. Some asylum seekers and nauruans died by drowning from fighting the rip. Because there is a huge drop after about 100 metres outside the island "reef" the rip is insanely powerful and it's in the middle of the pacific ocean with nothing around. The surfs terrible but some people go out and do some surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving. There are lots of tuna if you go out a km and they are massive and easy to catch.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

counterpoint: the president is dgsw's av

True. but there are no 5 guys burger and fries on island. only lots of chinese food (there is a big chinese population in one of the 12 sections)

WatermelonGun posted:

Does Nauru love meth just as much as any other pacific island?
Does Baron Waku sit on a big gungan throne?
Do these people just shovel spam into their mouth holes straight from the spam can, man?

Nope, no meth. just alcohol and Kava which numbs your mouth and gives you a kind of drinking high/drunkenness.

Yes, the Baron does sit on a throne and he's a fat piece of poo poo that does nothing.

Yes, spam in a can is a thing often bought and shoveled into their pie holes.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Haha Nauru loving suuucks

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Working to help the refugees and asylum seekers.

They do, and they did after that girl was killed, but they keep coming back because they hide in the forests and multiply quickly.

I got caught in a rip one time and nearly died, but a fishing boat came by and picked me up. Some asylum seekers and nauruans died by drowning from fighting the rip. Because there is a huge drop after about 100 metres outside the island "reef" the rip is insanely powerful and it's in the middle of the pacific ocean with nothing around. The surfs terrible but some people go out and do some surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving. There are lots of tuna if you go out a km and they are massive and easy to catch.

True. but there are no 5 guys burger and fries on island. only lots of chinese food (there is a big chinese population in one of the 12 sections)

Nope, no meth. just alcohol and Kava which numbs your mouth and gives you a kind of drinking high/drunkenness.

Yes, the Baron does sit on a throne and he's a fat piece of poo poo that does nothing.

Yes, spam in a can is a thing often bought and shoveled into their pie holes.

Wow....

An island truly worse than living in Britain. I need some time to process this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So many islands, too little time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i will move there and start some bitcoin farms

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
One of my lecturers told our class that Nauru is covered in discarded KFC wrappers. The nearest KFC is in Auckland, New Zealand. When Nauruvians travel home, they buy up large at KFC to share with their friends and family and the aeroplane stinks of it.

Disclaimer, was told this 10 years or so ago, maybe there's no KFC now that their one Boeing has been repossessed. Hey Goons, let's post KFC to Nauru! To cheer them up about the no more bird poo poo thing.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I learned that I will forget about Naru in about 24 hours and never remember it until this thread gets innevitably bumped.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
One time a dog wandered on to the airport runway as a jet was landing and they had to make an emergency take off until someone had cleared the dog off. The fences are all broken and no one manages the runway safety, so you can wander on there whenever you like.

Nauru was a strategic point in WWII in the pacific campaign and was controlled by the Japanese at one point who worked the locals to death in creating the (current) airport and setting up defensive batteries and (current) harbor. Japan gives development money to Nauru as reparations.

I don't know how the pigs and chickens survive with the roaming dog death packs, but they love to eat the rubbish (which is everywhere because no one cares about their shity dead island.)

This is when I realised I had been sucked out to sea and the rip was too strong to get back into shore (even with scuba flippers on) and I was like drat, I better take some photos before I die.

Good point!

Everyone drink drives. there's literally just one long road on the island yet people seem to die every week from road related death.

dog dead. so what

Thanks for reading my photo journal. namaste

Hoplosternum posted:

One of my lecturers told our class that Nauru is covered in discarded KFC wrappers. The nearest KFC is in Auckland, New Zealand. When Nauruvians travel home, they buy up large at KFC to share with their friends and family and the aeroplane stinks of it.

Disclaimer, was told this 10 years or so ago, maybe there's no KFC now that their one Boeing has been repossessed. Hey Goons, let's post KFC to Nauru! To cheer them up about the no more bird poo poo thing.

This is 100% true, and is still is an ongoing cultural practice, no joke.

edit: except the nearest KFC is Brisbane, where their flights connect to, not Auckland.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 10, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Real interesting reads , thanks and I mean it :)

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

anyone in here know about Kerguelen except for the fact it has its own cool lookin cabbage

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Interesting stuff

Do you have any pictures of the 'downtown' with grocery stores and bars or anything 'commercial'?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The President of Nauru is Baron Waqa. He's not a Baron, that's just his name.

More like Baron Harkonnen

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

One of my old college profs did his Peace Corps time between all these tiny Pacific islands and Nauru sounded like one of the more hosed up ones.

Back then the turd mining was still turning out pretty good money, but they blew through that poo poo like a redneck that just won the lottery. He said for some reason, they were obsessed with Twinkies and couldn't import enough of them. Nauru also had their own airline which flew regular routes out of there so empty planes go go back and forth to civilization

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Why don't they just export dogs to China ?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Are we allowed to post about other isolated islands ITT? Because I have to cover the Andamans and Hans Island and Svalbard and Parsley Island.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Also, the one island where Tasmania and Victoria share a land border.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Lord of Pie posted:

One of my old college profs did his Peace Corps time between all these tiny Pacific islands and Nauru sounded like one of the more hosed up ones.

Back then the turd mining was still turning out pretty good money, but they blew through that poo poo like a redneck that just won the lottery. He said for some reason, they were obsessed with Twinkies and couldn't import enough of them. Nauru also had their own airline which flew regular routes out of there so empty planes go go back and forth to civilization

A lot of Pacific islands have a worse junk food problem than the US.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

"I'm gonna go fill my 737 with Five Guys burgers and fries. Suck my drat balls, UN."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only reason Tuvalu has an economy at all is because they sold all the .tv domain names to American tv shows in the 90s. They didn't even have a guano mine to ruin. They'd all be dead if not for Hercules: the Legendary Journeys and Cleopatra 2525.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So is there any plan for rebounding? Is there any way to grow anything to make the island's middle less hellish or is the ground/soil too hosed? Is there anything there to support or attract tourism? Any plans for rising sea levels ?

• Locked thread