Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a huge dope when it comes to economics, because I can't figure out how with 90% unemployment, the population doesn't just starve to death, unless there's some kind of subsistence farming or hunting and gathering going on (pass the boiled dog?) that isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article. Does Australia just ship a bunch of food and old clothes there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, it sounds like your average Nauru just basically gets money for nothing, and though it's not a lot, it's enough to

quote:

In Nauru, a popular snack is a whole fried chicken, washed down with a bucket-sized beaker of Coke.
source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/fat-of-the-land-nauru-tops-obesity-league-2169418.html

I bet there's a huge plague of depression. No jobs, nothing to do, a whole country of people basically on welfare, so yeah, you're gonna spend your guano cash to eat garbage, drink crap, get fat, and sink into a spiral. Christ.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The country lives off 1) phosphate mining royalties designated to their respective land holders, which is the government https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru_Phosphate_Royalties_Trust , and 2) Australian government paying blood money (ie. raping the economy of Nauru) to host its asylum seekers who are 90+% legitimate escaping persecution from their country of origin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru_Regional_Processing_Centre

I hope I brightened up your day :)

part 2 of my Nauru doco to come very soon (unless I am put in Australian jail for 'whistle-blowing' for 2 years as the authoritarian law indicates. Jokes on them, I live in Iraq, a much less authoritarian regime.
I never thought of it this way, but to convert this to American terms, it's like us sending a combination of Mexicans just looking for jobs and Syrian refugees to a really big and hot Gitmo, because gently caress 'em.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As a kid I always saw Alice Springs on a map and thought, hey, it's probably a small town with a gas station and a nice little cafe, grocery store with maybe not the most impressive selection, a truck stop motel thing, some good like... caves or something nearby. Like it's a big truck stop for trucks going cross country, but mostly just a nice quiet little town.

Nope, it's a big depressing pile of poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This thread. I haven't had flashbacks to Nothing But Trouble (a movie that traumatized a portion of my childhood) like this in years. It's all Valkenvania.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not sure if I believe it, given that Australia is permitting a brown person to enter their country.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if Nauru was settled by people exiled from other islands, or was it pretty decent for that sort of island when it was settled. Sorta like how colonial Australia started as a penal colony. Like if there was a common ground, maybe Australia would be really nice to them, then. Or, by making the island a jail, it's sort of a weird diminishing historical rhyme scheme.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 13, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Baka-nin posted:

How the hell can you run out of bird poo poo, is this island totally devoid of cars, statues and turtle wax?

Not seeing too many birds in the island pics.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/253/the-middle-of-nowhere

Nauru is a tiny island, population 12,000, a third of the size of Manhattan and far from anywhere: Yet at the center of several of the decade's biggest global events. Contributing editor Jack Hitt tells the untold story of this dot in the middle of the Pacific and its involvement in the bankrupting of the Russian economy, global terrorism, North Korean defectors, the end of the world, and the late 1980s theatrical flop of a London musical based on the life of Leonardo da Vinci called Leonardo, A Portrait of Love. (30 minutes) Economics • Terrorism • Theater

From a 2003 show, airing on NPR in the US next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Xelkelvos posted:

USPol is a burning tire fire. AusPol is that ever burning pit of natural gas in Russia or that town on top of a still burning coal mine in the US

The This American Life ep described Nauru as similar to an Appelachian town that strip-mined its way to poverty, and it don't sound too far off from Valkenvania.

• Locked thread