Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
True story; I lived in Nauru for over a year. What a poo poo-hole.

One of highest rates of obesity, no economy, 90+% unemployment, huge domestic violence and alcohol problem, high rate of diabetes, literally has no export except phosphate which is almost all depleted, and imports 90+% of products. Coral is all dead from mining, and it has one main road that is just a circle around the island. It's just a country Australia can dump it's asylum seekers (to deter asylum seekers coming by boat because the conditions on island are worse than in a war zone.) It's also a tax haven but even that is going because they're so bad at it.

When I was there a 7 year old girl was eaten alive by dogs on the beach. There are roaming packs of wild dogs everywhere, and they're super aggressive.

AMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

spud posted:

Why were you there?
Why don't they shoot the packs of dogs?

Working to help the refugees and asylum seekers.

They do, and they did after that girl was killed, but they keep coming back because they hide in the forests and multiply quickly.

Malinois posted:

How was the surf?

I got caught in a rip one time and nearly died, but a fishing boat came by and picked me up. Some asylum seekers and nauruans died by drowning from fighting the rip. Because there is a huge drop after about 100 metres outside the island "reef" the rip is insanely powerful and it's in the middle of the pacific ocean with nothing around. The surfs terrible but some people go out and do some surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving. There are lots of tuna if you go out a km and they are massive and easy to catch.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

counterpoint: the president is dgsw's av

True. but there are no 5 guys burger and fries on island. only lots of chinese food (there is a big chinese population in one of the 12 sections)

WatermelonGun posted:

Does Nauru love meth just as much as any other pacific island?
Does Baron Waku sit on a big gungan throne?
Do these people just shovel spam into their mouth holes straight from the spam can, man?

Nope, no meth. just alcohol and Kava which numbs your mouth and gives you a kind of drinking high/drunkenness.

Yes, the Baron does sit on a throne and he's a fat piece of poo poo that does nothing.

Yes, spam in a can is a thing often bought and shoveled into their pie holes.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
One time a dog wandered on to the airport runway as a jet was landing and they had to make an emergency take off until someone had cleared the dog off. The fences are all broken and no one manages the runway safety, so you can wander on there whenever you like.

Nauru was a strategic point in WWII in the pacific campaign and was controlled by the Japanese at one point who worked the locals to death in creating the (current) airport and setting up defensive batteries and (current) harbor. Japan gives development money to Nauru as reparations.

I don't know how the pigs and chickens survive with the roaming dog death packs, but they love to eat the rubbish (which is everywhere because no one cares about their shity dead island.)

This is when I realised I had been sucked out to sea and the rip was too strong to get back into shore (even with scuba flippers on) and I was like drat, I better take some photos before I die.

Good point!

Everyone drink drives. there's literally just one long road on the island yet people seem to die every week from road related death.

dog dead. so what

Thanks for reading my photo journal. namaste

Hoplosternum posted:

One of my lecturers told our class that Nauru is covered in discarded KFC wrappers. The nearest KFC is in Auckland, New Zealand. When Nauruvians travel home, they buy up large at KFC to share with their friends and family and the aeroplane stinks of it.

Disclaimer, was told this 10 years or so ago, maybe there's no KFC now that their one Boeing has been repossessed. Hey Goons, let's post KFC to Nauru! To cheer them up about the no more bird poo poo thing.

This is 100% true, and is still is an ongoing cultural practice, no joke.

edit: except the nearest KFC is Brisbane, where their flights connect to, not Auckland.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 10, 2016

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Darth123123 posted:

Do you have any pictures of the 'downtown' with grocery stores and bars or anything 'commercial'?

There's basically two cover bands that turn up nearly every night in 2 bars (jewles and menen). There's the Menen hotel which used to be a fancy hotel on the beachfront, but the Australian owners were kicked out of the country and the government took over and it went down the drain since then. The government has a history of just cancelling the visa of business investors and taking over their ventures and then running them into the ground for every penny.

There's about 4 bars in Nauru. The Menen is the hotel on the beach. The Odin is a chinese run restaurant front with a bar inside with pool tables and pokie machines, and a creep dark walk to the bathroom with old run down pokie machines looming over those that walk through and that no one bothered fixing. The third is an indian/tovalu/fijian run pizza/italian restaurant with a back porch area full of mosquitos that will give you dengue fever (the most horrible bone breaking disease.) Lastly is Jewels which is a night club/ outdoor bar on the beach, right next door to a pig farm so the rife smell of pig poo poo is ever present adding a nice aphrodisiac to the air as you dance to the same cover band songs they play every night.

Pawn 17 posted:

OP presents an island paradise and it turns out to be a massive shithole. Do they have internet there? TV?

They have one internet service provider (Digicel) and it's controlled by the state and they reap all the benefits. if you post anything on facebook (which has been blocked many times during criticism against it's government) then you can go to the goulag (I mean prison.) I've been inside the prison and it's basically a torture centre endorsed by the Australian government. The police asked me to type into the computer some charges because they couldn't spell/write in english.

There are coral pinnacles dotting the island and especially in the centre of the island making it a perfect island prison:

The top of the Odin is a beautiful little rooftop lounging area:

China town has lots of inflatable floaties.. but no one game enough to use them in the water at risk of being sucked out to sea, and they're never used in the only safe swimming spot, the harbor. It's a mystery where the inflatable child's toys end up:

The cover band at Jewels plays the same shity 80s rock cover song again:

The creepy walk to the toilet at the Odin. Who knows how many women have been sexually assaulted as the dead pokies look on:

The view overlooking the crushed export empire. The country was per capita the richest country in the world in the 60s or around then. They would fly out their soccer team in first class around the world to play matches. They would run jets between locations without anyone on board. They wasted away all the money they gained into nothing. Now the rich elite have all bought properties and houses in Australia and have either left or will leave once the island drowns into the oceans. One good thing global warming will achieve.

More military hardware. this is the main gun on topside island. I don't know what it is. some Japanese huge anti aircraft gun.

The only flight company that can fly to Nauru (Our airline).. another monopolised and failed company. it is only, like most of the island, living off the curtails of the Australian governments immigration policy. the last 3 weeks 2 young adults (1 male Iranian, and 1 Somali woman who had been through hell and raped many times escaping her conflict zone) self immolated rather than face the poo poo conditions of Nauru:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
We arrive in Nauru, a beautiful tropical island 4 hours north of Brisbane, Australia. We fly over the death camps in PNG called Manus island detention centre, where Australia sends it's single adult males to rot in hell.

Here we enter the Odin, the chinese run favorite for ex-pats with an inside bar. The structure started, much like most architecture on island, as a semi-english colonial design at the affluence of Nauru's wealth, but also much like everything in Nauru, was left to rot and decompose.

Tuna is loving abundant around the coast, maybe 10 to 20 minutes boat ride from the harbor. We would often bring back 10+ tuna and others I can't remember the name of and give it to the local chinese owner at the odin for 300+USD which covered the entire boat trip + booze. He would then give fresh sushimi 10 minutes after off loading. I only got sick from the Odin restaurant once, with severe food poisoning from a chicken burger. Ironically I was forced down to spend the night in their lovely Odin hotel rooms with no shower or air conditioning (with severe food poisoning) and was treated like I had Ebola. The owner is a hardcore opium addict and one night a huge Nauruan (pacific islanders are like E Honda from the street fighter movie) came at him with a machete over mafia money owed to his family. Nauru is a very tribal community (if you're islander) and control most of the businesses (and chinese own most of them but pay a 'tribal' tax or something - ie. extortion based on bullshit territories even though they celebrate none of their culture.) So this hosed up Nauruan starts slashing at him trying to kill him, and some ex-pats grab him and hold him down in some really full on special forces moves. He goes to jail for the night and then is released the next day because you know, who gives a gently caress, his family is part of the ruling mob of cunts.

It's booze night every night at the Odin's rooftop. We try to forget the hypocrisy and irony of the entire situation:

There are dilapidated ruins of the old phosphate empire all throughout Nauru. Thankfully, we never truly forget it because the phosphate processing centre has continually pushed out enormous amounts of the byproduct that is surely causing us cancer through breathing it and as it visibly settles on the food we eat every day:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

doctorfrog posted:

I'm a huge dope when it comes to economics, because I can't figure out how with 90% unemployment, the population doesn't just starve to death, unless there's some kind of subsistence farming or hunting and gathering going on (pass the boiled dog?) that isn't mentioned in the Wikipedia article. Does Australia just ship a bunch of food and old clothes there or something?

The country lives off 1) phosphate mining royalties designated to their respective land holders, which is the government https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru_Phosphate_Royalties_Trust , and 2) Australian government paying blood money (ie. raping the economy of Nauru) to host its asylum seekers who are 90+% legitimate escaping persecution from their country of origin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru_Regional_Processing_Centre

I hope I brightened up your day :)

part 2 of my Nauru doco to come very soon (unless I am put in Australian jail for 'whistle-blowing' for 2 years as the authoritarian law indicates. Jokes on them, I live in Iraq, a much less authoritarian regime.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Jack Gladney posted:

Does Australia or Nauru monitor the internet for criticism of their human rights abuse prisons for nonwhite asylum seekers?

Unequivocally yes. But Australia ASIO and border farce are a bunch of cunts, so no one cares.

nockturne posted:

This needs more attention, because if we're going to talk about Nauru we need to have a little chat about how hosed up the refugee situation is in Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/refugee-set-himself-on-fire-after-unhcr-meeting:-asylum-seekers/7377396

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/omid-masoumali-without-proper-medical-care-for-hours,-says-wife/7374884

And my favourite moment in the whole poo poo-show, our Immigration Minister Peter Dutton's comments that it was all the fault of people who criticise the current system:

http://theconversation.com/self-immolation-incidents-on-nauru-are-acts-of-hopeful-despair-58791

No idea why people would be criticising the government's policy! Ten more years in that hellhole! It's practically an extended island holiday for them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru_Regional_Processing_Centre

There are kids in that place.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/about-90-children-to-be-returned-to-nauru-peter-dutton-says/7297320

It particularly great being a female refugee on Nauru!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/government-has-until-sunday-to-arrange-refugees-abortion-20160510-goqrhh.html

I am loving ashamed to be Australian right now.

Oh, this will all be in my final post in this thread, don't worry.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

doctorfrog posted:

I never thought of it this way, but to convert this to American terms, it's like us sending a combination of Mexicans just looking for jobs and Syrian refugees to a really big and hot Gitmo, because gently caress 'em.

Yeah, it's like sending families (with children), who are seeking asylum, to Gitmo. Except, if it was Gitmo there would be more international and Australian outrage. It's actually a really insidious detention. And it hasn't had any effect. Australia spends more on running these centres for about 3000 people than the UN spends on all of refugees in South East Asia. Australians are loving dumb cunts to be honest.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Because if you whistle-blow in this 'detention centre' you are proper hosed. Australian government will convict you of whistle-blowing. My friends were walked off island on the precipice of 'inciting insurrection' among the asylum seekers. All were recently exonerated that there was no basis of them inciting any protest or self harm (durrrr). All of them were provided recompense. The minister of immigration still did not apologise, even though that was part of the decision by our courts. what a oval office.

We have had a royal commission into the abuse of children in detention, for which I submitted anonymously. Yet, whilst everything was proved that children are being raped and abused and psychologically destroyed in detention over years and years, the government does not react or care. :)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Fat Jesus posted:

yes, Australia should be doing more to help people from war-torn India, Nepal and Sri Lanka

None are from India, one family was from Nepal, and there were a small minority of Tamils from Sri Lanka. Most were persecuted and on the run from Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria etc. for being targeted by terrorists or persecuted for being gay or of a minority religion or ethnicity and recognised through an intense RSD (refugee status determination process) as per international standards, of Australians being the highest standard, you dumb motherfucker :) namaste fuckface

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Fat Jesus posted:

lol bullshit, and your mates got busted advising them to self harm and got thrown out

adurrrrrrrr good work putting some words together

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
People use the ruins of the old empire to have fun, drink beer on, and potentially die from an intoxicated related fall (not a terrible death considering):

Pillboxes surround the island as a once defense against the allied offensive (maybe the Nauruans would have been better off with an Axis japanese overlord.. instead of the slow overlord rape they are currently receiving... who knows):

The boat ramp to 'death valley' where most people die at sea:

Relaxing on the beach outside Capelle's supermarket, where refugees who earn at most $6 AUD an hour pay 20$+ AUD for a small lettuce or cabbage. Meanwhile, workers in the detention center earning over 80k+AUD a year are burdened with an 5$ AUD meal voucher for all you can eat buffets.

The ring road that encircles the entire island. It takes about 30 minutes to go around the island once at 60km/h:

It's quite green on most of the island. Much like the other pacific islands in the region:

This is where people are laid to rest. Nauru has quite a high death rate, relatively:

No one gives a gently caress about airport security:

Most of the island is filled with unfinished structures that are slowly being overtaken by the natural flora:

Part 3 to come..

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The Australian government pretends to send development money, but it goes straight into the pockets of the government. Considering the schools are run down, full of wandering dogs, the bathrooms are below Syrian war-zone levels, and the teachers hit children as positive discipline... i suspect there is some interesting decisions from the Nauruan government where this money ends up:

haha, you're hosed if it rains at any time. The entire island floods:

Oh but the Nauru municipality is spotless, citizens:

A typical Nauruan house, living off the ‘support’ system:

Stairs up from the menen into the forest of pinnacles:

This is why people don't spend too much time in the surf. The entire island is covered in these sharp pinnacles. they're actually quite beautiful if you step back from the horrendous conditions Nauruans, asylum seekers, and refugees face:

This is what surfers get right outside the menen hotel:

There isn’t really a social campaign for littering and rubbish collection. Last time I was there they lit the entire rubbish tip on fire (it was an accident!) and basically 100 tonnes of plastic disbursed into the atmosphere. It wasn’t too dramatic because the island is already covered in a phosphate mist of death:

The island literally cuts off from the coral base and there is a 200+metre drop into the deep abyss:

The pinnacles are everywhere. It is a natural resistance against walking (or escaping the Australian death camps on topside):

Everything is imported. Often the (1) crane is down for repairs and they need to bring in some company or contractor to fix it. This leaves the cargo ship at sea sitting there for days if not weeks. It also leaves the island without 1) drinking water, 2) beer, 3) cheese, 4) basic necessities:

There is a inner lake, near topside. It is full of dengue and if you went for a swim within I doubt you would come back... at least, never the same:

Seriously, who the gently caress buys all these water tubes and where do they use them!

Goodbye paradise

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
sling'n poo poo an't easy. I practice in GBS by posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Where does Nauru ship its would-be immigrants and convicts? :ohdear:

The convicts stay on Island (seriously). There was a convicted rapist at one of those cover band nights, and danced with a friend of mine. The (wealthy) immigrants go to Australia and set up a future there because they know Nauru is a poo poo hole to bring up their children.

• Locked thread