Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I've always had an interest/obsession with small islands, but often its with very cold ones instead of warm ones.

Here is Edinburgh of the Southern Seas:

This is a town of 250 people. The next inhabited place is 1200 miles away, the island of Saint Helena, and its not exactly a busy place either, with only 4200 people.

There is no air flights to the island, and its pretty much cut off from the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

SneakyFrog posted:

I was still trying to understand Baron Waqa and here you go changing the island.. jeez.

the king of this island better have a bitchin name like Lance Fightmaster or something.

The thing about islands is there is a lot of them, and they are often forgotten about by the rest of the world, and they often have peculiar customs and history.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Here is Navassa Island:

Which is claimed by both the United States and Haiti. It was occupied in the 1800s for phosphate (guano) mining, and you can see a building in the foreground. Its about two miles long and one mile wide, and its population consists of Haitian fisherman and US biologists. Its theoretically habitable, if you have a water system system, but there is no source of fresh water.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Here is Grytviken, on South Georgia Island.
While it is not further south than larger places on Tierra del Fuego, it is colder and more isolated due to the conditions in the "Roaring Forties" of the Southern Ocean.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 10, 2016

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

boom boom boom posted:

That sounds like a ton of work. where are you gonna get all the workers for a project that big on such a tiny island?

Go to a post-apocalyptic city in the US of 20XX and find the thugs hanging out holding metal pipes to help construct and guard your island fortress.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Are we allowed to post about other isolated islands ITT? Because I have to cover the Andamans and Hans Island and Svalbard and Parsley Island.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Also, the one island where Tasmania and Victoria share a land border.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Plucky Brit posted:

Well, it's better than what happened on the Pitcairn Islands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

Quite hard to imprison people on an island with a population of 47; it would ruin their way of life. Of course, as their way of life involves having sex with twelve year olds, one wonders why people think it's worth preserving.

quote:

The trial was punctuated by legal challenges from island residents, who denied the island's colonial status, and with it the United Kingdom's judicial authority. Defence lawyers for the seven accused men claimed that British sovereignty over the islands was unconstitutional: HMS Bounty mutineers, from whom almost all of the current island population is descended (together with Polynesians), had effectively renounced their British citizenship by committing a capital offence in the burning of the Bounty in 1790, they said. In a symbolic rejection of British rule, islanders still celebrated this act annually by burning an effigy of the Bounty, according to Paul Dacre, the Pitcairn public defender.

"We burn a toy ship once a year so your laws don't apply to us" sounds like grade A sovcit BS.

Also, not saying that it isn't wrong, but I think that 50 people living 1000 miles from nowhere is kind of an unavoidable way for people to go really crazy.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

meselfs posted:

In countries like this it's assumed there's no such thing, why make laws.

Oh, but there's an exception, this is ok, just fine:

https://sexual-communication.wikispaces.com/Sambian+Tribal+Sexual+Ritual

Apparently all the research into this tribe comes from one researcher?

I am a little bit skeptical of cultural anthropology that comes from one person's observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Longyearbyen!

• Locked thread