Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And to get the full extent of the cruelty we even throw in cartoonishly evil as a package deal. We won't even let asylum seekers get letters of hope from Australians.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/letters-to-asylum-seekers-returned-unopened:-human-rights-lawyer/6294590

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

OlmanRiver posted:

This honestly sounds like the making of a great video game.

It would have to be a sequel to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Woomera

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

doctorfrog posted:

Not sure if I believe it, given that Australia is permitting a brown person to enter their country.

Our doctors are pretty great though and usually put up a fight to stop people being inevitably sent back to the concentration camps. :unsmith:

Darth123123 posted:

Maybe these stories are over blown and fanfic of nerds?

Yeah nah.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/baby-asha-transferred-to-community-detention-peter-dutton/7188252

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
q=/=e

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Darth123123 posted:

Why do people do this?

So I'm not quoting myself one post below? I guess a fullstop would work just as well.

nockturne posted:

Is this the baby who was born on Nauru and is essentially a stateless person because lol stop the boats?

Tried to sneak into the country in her mother's womb. If we're not tough on that sort of thing it just encourages them.

Yeah that's the one. Also won't be allowed to go to New Zealand, because New Zealand citizens get full immigration rights to Australia and she'd be able to get to Australia 'through the backdoor.' Can't have all the asylum seekers lining up to be raped and have a baby in Australia and be offered asylum by New Zealand now can we? We'd end up with hordes of them!

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 13, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lolie posted:

It's going to get worse.

Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield) operates both centres and is currently in the middle of a hostile take-over bid by Spanish multinational Ferrovial.

You can't even boycott any of these oval office companies because they have fingers in so many pies and have a poo poo ton of government contracts for services unrelated to immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovial

Secondary boycotts are illegal in Australia as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lolie posted:

Consumers can boycott any organisation they like.

It's just hard to avoid doing business with these cunts when they have the contracts to deliver infrastructure services. Ferrovial operates Sydney airport, among other things.

I swear that if any state had the balls to refuse to award these fuckers contracts, I'd move there. Unfortunately, we're all indirectly supporting these companies by consuming services they provide on behalf of the federal and state governments. Until something changes, we can't shut these fuckers down by expressing our outrage either politically or economically.

I thought Abbott managed to pass that law to stop environmentalists boycotting Harvey Norman for using wood from old growth forests?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lolie posted:

It's kind of a toothless tiger because it was framed as a change to competition laws and you can only apply it to certain groups trying to run a campaign against an industry.

You also can't use it to bypass the right to campaign against government actions, even if those actions are taken by private organisations acting on behalf of the government.

Ah fair enough.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

doctorfrog posted:

Not seeing too many birds in the island pics.

Stop the birds.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

fixed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

The outdated criminal code, which dated back to 1899, was based on old Queensland laws

Jesus. This explains everything.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Robo Reagan posted:

i like that australia is like what would happen if the south won the civil war

Now hang on a second, we're so racist we deported our slaves. Can the South say the same thing? :smug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Honestly the most amazing thing about white South Africans who move to Australia is that most of them manage to be so racist that they creep out the average suburban Australian hick. I used to work with this one guy who was laughing about the fact that back in South Africa he trained his dog to attack black people and got really mad when people told him that was hosed up

https://twitter.com/UPFOfficial/status/736460276523016192

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Tomorrow Australia decides if we continue the torture of refugees in concentration camps closed off to the media, or if we continue the torture of refugees in concentration camps closed off open to the media.

Possible progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Everyone see the Kiribati weightlifter dance? Why couldn't Nauru be cool like other Pacific Island micronations facing imminent societal collapse?

• Locked thread