Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

zakharov posted:

The Nauruan economy was based on bird poo poo and now that all the phosphates are gone the economy is Totally hosed.

How the hell can you run out of bird poo poo, is this island totally devoid of cars, statues and turtle wax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ivor Biggun posted:

You scrape away all the topsoil to get at the fossilised birdshit underneath, then you throw the waste into the sea

Leaving a sea of pointy rocks waiting for a few milennia of birdshit to fill them up again

This, answers my question perfectly, thank you.

Oh and hey guys let's not be too hard on the good Baron, he's not lazy, he was just playing a long game and has finally brought in a series of reforms that will bring Nauru into the 20th century!

quote:

One of the smallest countries in the world, Nauru, has decriminalized homosexuality.
Previously, the tiny island nation of just 9,000 people in the Central Pacific, has updated its antiquated criminal code to bring it up to international human rights standards.
Previously, those prosecuted of homosexuality could be jailed for up to 14 years.
The outdated criminal code, which dated back to 1899, was based on old Queensland laws. Other laws changed include decriminalizing suicide, outlawing slavery and forced child labor, and broadening the definition of rape to include in married couples.
The death penalty has been removed, as well as imprisonment with hard labor and solitary confinement. A law which punished those engaging in ‘witchcraft, sorcery or fortune telling’, which could lead to to one year of hard labor, was also removed.
Penalties for pedophilia have been increased.
Abortion remains illegal when not part of a ‘lawful medical procedure’.
While homosexuality is allowed now, there are no anti-discrimination laws or recognition of same-sex unions. Trans people also do not have a right to legally change their gender.
The Government of Nauru said the law changes, which include those promoting gender equality, reflected the nation’s ‘progressive leadership’

All hail the breaker of chains! and the father of... wild dogs.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

canyoneer posted:

I'm sort of surprised to learn that it's difficult to immigrate to Australia.
It's the destination of choice for my white South African cousins because it's way easier than getting into the US.
I'm guessing the"white" part is the important bit.

Well it certainly helps, but really Australian migration is run on a "points" system, basically they're more lenient depending on how well the countries doing and what they actually need. My relatives who emigrated there did it easily because trained nurses and technicians were in high demand at the time they applied. If your job skills aren't in demand you'll have to jump through more hoops, like do have a job offer, what's your savings, where exactly are you planning on living etc.

Anything can be used as grounds for rejection though. Another relative was denied entry because of a family history of mental problems, even though that was the family of her husband who had died. And I remember one story of a bloke who got rejected because he was a bank manager.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Jesus Christ.
I think I liked this thread better when we were just making guano and fat jokes.
No wait I know I liked it better when we were all making guano and fat jokes.

• Locked thread