Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm glad you're out of that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

JohnGalt posted:

I like the progession in size of those charges.

Same

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Holy loving poo poo. I had a girlfriend who worked for one of those iPhone game companies as customer support (I forget specifically which game she worked with, some sci-fi Clash of Clans knockoff) and whenever she talked about people spending literally thousands of dollars on them I assumed they were spoiled Emirati oil heirs or something. I stand corrected.

Like, Jesus, what do you even buy in Candy Crush for $59.97? Is that one lump sum, or did she buy extra lives ten times in one day and it was all charged together? :psyduck:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I had a girlfriend who worked for one of those iPhone game companies as customer support (I forget specifically which game she worked with, some sci-fi Clash of Clans knockoff) and whenever she talked about people spending literally thousands of dollars on them I assumed they were spoiled Emirati oil heirs or something. I stand corrected.

Like, Jesus, what do you even buy in Candy Crush for $59.97? Is that one lump sum, or did she buy extra lives ten times in one day and it was all charged together? :psyduck:

If I know my freemium games, they will offer bigger lump sum rewards when buying in bulk. Maybe she got 100 lives instead of 60! :thumbsup:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

In Candy Crush Saga right now, you can buy gold bars (the currency you use to buy more lives/power-ups) along the following tier:

10 bars - 99c
50 bars - $4.99
100 bars - $9.99
150 bars - $14.99
200 bars - $19.99
250 bars - $20.99
500 bars - $39.99
1000 bars - $74.99

They pretty frequently do half-off sales, especially around holidays.

Six hours of unlimited lives costs 69 bars, or about $7. You can pick up bars in-game, but not at a fast enough rate to really make a difference.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

JohnGalt posted:

I like the progession in size of those charges.

That jumped out at me, too.

Macropayments posted:

ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 44.95
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 33.95
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 49.95
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 19.98
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 34.96
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 24.98
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 14.98
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 29.97
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 49.93
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 9.99
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 39.96
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 29.98
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 49.97
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 19.99
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 39.98
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 49.99
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 59.97
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 49.99
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 34.97
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 20.99
ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNCUPERTINO CA 39.99

SiGmA_X posted:

Addiction.

My money is on "punishment." I would be willing to bet the leap in average charge size coincides quite nicely with some patch of her not getting what she wanted as fast as she wanted it.

Edit: I mean, possibly addiction, too, but something triggered that jump in prices.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Sometimes I think my discretionary spending is too high and I should cut down, and other times I see posts like that and decide "Actually, nevermind. I'm fine."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

zaurg posted:

It's mind boggling. And can you imagine how I went about approaching her about it? It was like I was trying to be a therapist approaching her about an addiction. I should've just blown up about it but I didn't. She got extremely upset anyway because I continued to ask her about it (expecting some kind of sharing of what was going on in her head - or even an apology) but she never apologized and never really said much in response. Crazy to think it's probably still going on to this day.

That's EXACTLY what it is- an addiction. I'm not saying I've never spent money on a phone game, but sinking thousands of dollars into Candy Crush is loving batshit.

I am in no way a financial expert, and because of my job I have almost no financial commitments (no rent, no automatic bank withdrawals that I might forget, taxes to be filed but not paid, no investments that require monitoring, etc.) but as someone who was raised by people who are bad with money, I can tell that Zex has a reality problem. Money she spends on phone games isn't "real" because it's small amounts and all she has to do is press a button and she has instant gratification. It's literally the worst thing possible for someone like your wife.

When I got my first Kindle, I had about a week of OMG ANY BOOK I WANT ANYTIME HOLY poo poo before my husband gently reminded me that the poo poo costs money. I mean, it's behavior a lot of us are guilty of at times. Humans like instant gratification, of course! It makes sense from a survival standpoint. But most people are able to keep their wits about them and realize at some point that they need to stop doing something that is harmful to themselves/their social circle.

Your ex-wife can't. She's addicted to the feeling of getting exactly what she wants, which unfortunately seems to mostly be material/consumable things. She is a rat desperately hitting the food pellet button. She said herself in one of the last threads, "Everyone carries debt!' which implied that she doesn't think it's a big deal. She doesn't realize that she is saddling your CHILDREN with years of working off HER debt.

Use her losing this job as an opportunity to open a dialogue about switching to public schooling. Definitely.

Also, why did she lose her job?
Also, I do really want to know how much homework they're giving your daughter in the first grade. It makes me hella suspicious about this school.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Breetai posted:

Pretend I posted all of Kirk's responses to the Razer thread here, because I'm completely loving stunned.

HOW?

thank you for that glorious link

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, why did she lose her job?

I suspect there is an incoming BWM story that ended in the loss.

If this private school thing can be sorted out that would give you some room to sort out your finances.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Jumped to conclusions. She has not lost her job. :facepalm:

Something is going on though I'm just not sure yet. Will not act on anything till I know what is happening.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

Something is going on though I'm just not sure yet. Will not act on anything till I know what is happening.

You should be acting to prepare yourself for the situation that she does in fact lose her job. Start now.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

zaurg posted:

Just curious, how did you think she had lost her job?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

zaurg posted:

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

zaurg posted:

And we're off

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Ahh, I see, the beginning of the thread was just a setup where everything seems fine before the story arc begins. It's like the scene at the beginning of the movie sequel where the hero is totally retired and definitely not going to go on another adventure. I bet ben stiller isn't gonna guard the museum this time!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

IllegallySober posted:

You should be acting to prepare yourself for the situation that she does in fact lose her job. Start now.
Chance favors the prepared mind. Have all your ducks in a row and then when the poo poo hits the fan you will be ready and won't have to freak out. Build up that emergency cushion now, while you have a reprieve.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

zaurg posted:

Waaay too much than what ever should be spent on a poopgame.

When I first heard a friend admit that he'd spent $200 on candy crush, I thought he was crazy. Granted I do play some free games on my tablet, but the thought of spending actual money on them just throws me for a loop. Is it really that easy to get caught up into spending money on them?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

When I first heard a friend admit that he'd spent $200 on candy crush, I thought he was crazy. Granted I do play some free games on my tablet, but the thought of spending actual money on them just throws me for a loop. Is it really that easy to get caught up into spending money on them?

It's very carefully designed to not feel like you're spending money. You're spending tokens! You're getting the tokens by pressing a button! That button is tied to your account and charges your credit card mostly behind the scenes!

It becomes incredibly easy to spend money when the amount the item individually costs is obscured (5000 tokens for only $9.95, wow that's a big number!) and the process of spending the money is made seamless and immaterial.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

the real question is...how BAD is Zex at Candy Crush that she keeps having to spend all this money on game tokens or gold bananas or whatever the gently caress Candy Crush is about?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

bringmyfishback posted:

the real question is...how BAD is Zex at Candy Crush that she keeps having to spend all this money on game tokens or gold bananas or whatever the gently caress Candy Crush is about?

With the caveat that I've never played Candy Crush myself, I don't think skill or luck enter into the equation at all. It's basically a Skinner Box on her phone. The game is literally designed to prey upon certain features of the human mind that reinforce this sort of behavior.

cats
May 11, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

The game is divided into chapters or areas or whatever they're called, and when you're done with one you have to either a. wait 72 hours, b. ask friends to send help, or c. pay $$ to move on to the next one immediately. The other situation that brings in the most cash is when you run out of lives. I think when the game was fairly new it was 99 cents to refill your lives, now it's X tokens or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ahahah i didn't realize you had to pay when you won too, jfc mobile games are terrible.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Ahahah i didn't realize you had to pay when you won too, jfc mobile games are terrible.

They are, in my opinion, legal versions of slot machines.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

They are, in my opinion, legal versions of slot machines.

I don't get the comparison.
Can you win money with Candy Crush?
This is a depressing discussion.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

zaurg posted:

I don't get the comparison.
Can you win money with Candy Crush?
This is a depressing discussion.

Slot machines are designed specifically to take in a percentage of money and spit out a percentage of money and are designed to entertain and fascinate. They can, and historically have, been set to a payout of 0%. Thereby only providing the player with a very temporary bought of entertainment and a hope that just around the bend is a bit of good luck. "It's going to pay out soon!"

Candy Crush is the same thing, without the possibility of winning any money, but its hook is that of a false accomplishment. "If it wasn't for this timer (or whatever I don't play it) I could get that goal!"

It's a basic psychological hook, that some people swallow whole and never spit out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Candy Crush is also largely luck-based. If you get a bad layout at the beginning of a level you're hosed, although sometimes it takes until your last move to realize it. If you just had a couple more moves you could win, so hey, you can use a chocolate bear to get more! Out of chocolate bears? No problem, buy a pack of 100 for 100 tokens!

cats
May 11, 2009
It's totally possible to play without ever spending a dime, the game throws free upgrades at you fairly often. I think where it gets you is the wait time between chapters, and the occasional hard level - you build up momentum with easy ones, then suddenly you run out of lives/get to the end of the chapter and you have to wait, but waiting is boring, here take my money.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pianist On Strike posted:

you build up momentum with easy ones, then suddenly you run out of lives/get to the end of the chapter and you have to wait, but waiting is boring, here take my money.

Look up 'schedule of reinforcement', because it's fascinating, but basically it's a tenet of psychology that varying the availability of a reward for an action results in a significant increase in that action being performed, and it's the psychological trick that makes slot machines and poopbreak games so effective at taking people's money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's totally possible to play without ever spending a dime, the game throws free upgrades at you fairly often. I think where it gets you is the wait time between chapters, and the occasional hard level - you build up momentum with easy ones, then suddenly you run out of lives/get to the end of the chapter and you have to wait, but waiting is boring, here take my money.

"It's totally possible to play without ever spending a dime" is technically true but effectively meaningless, like how corporate contests always have a tiny "no purchase necessary" at the bottom.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also before the mobile game derail ends let me tell everyone that if you want a good poopgame that doesn't cost money past the initial ($2) purchase get Disney's Where's My Water, in which you give an alligator a bath by solving puzzles with fun water physics. It's the most fun I've had with a mobile game, which is admittedly a pretty low bar, but still!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The game is divided into chapters or areas or whatever they're called, and when you're done with one you have to either a. wait 72 hours, b. ask friends to send help, or c. pay $$ to move on to the next one immediately. The other situation that brings in the most cash is when you run out of lives. I think when the game was fairly new it was 99 cents to refill your lives, now it's X tokens or whatever.

oh

well

god forbid you put your loving phone down and look after your two children under six

just sayin'

Seriously, why wouldn't you just wait? I can't even play games with actual stories for longer than an hour or two before I get antsy and need a break, and I play a lot of video games.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

bringmyfishback posted:

Seriously, why wouldn't you just wait?

There's a billion dollar industry that answers this for you.

I can't remember what it was (Clash of Clans maybe?), but there was a F2P game advertised at the last superbowl. Firstly, think of how much money that would have cost, and then secondly realise that they thought the rate of return would be higher than the cost of the advertisement.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

There's a billion dollar industry that answers this for you.

I can't remember what it was (Clash of Clans maybe?), but there was a F2P game advertised at the last superbowl. Firstly, think of how much money that would have cost, and then secondly realise that they thought the rate of return would be higher than the cost of the advertisement.

It was Clash of Clans, and yeah there are a lot of coworkers who still play that game and I never have the Balla to ask what they spend on it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.843665-Most-Freemium-Revenue-Comes-From-Less-Than-1-of-Gamers

This is a bit outdated but probably still holds up. Basically, 98.5% of all freemium game accounts are worthless to the publisher, 1.5% spend *something* and one in ten of these (.15% of accounts) are 50% of the overall revenue.

Good luck getting your life turned around now that you're on the right track!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

It was Clash of Clans, and yeah there are a lot of coworkers who still play that game and I never have the Balla to ask what they spend on it.

Wasn't there Game of War too?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wasn't there Game of War too?

Yup, with all the Kate Upton cleavage they could muster. When I eventually saw commercials for Mobile Strike with Arnold starring, all I could think is that he's not a hot girl, so this ad won't perform as well.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If you guys don't know about it and have an android phone, get on Google Opinion Rewards. They send you random surveys throughout the month based on either locations you go or various other things. Like if you go into Ace Hardware, it'll flag a day or two later and ask you how your trip was, and you end up getting like 25 cents in google store money for 3-4 questions. I tend to get around .50 cents to a buck a week on that, just from various stores and the random surveys they send.

It also lets you use that cash to buy in app purchases.

It's pretty much the only way I would ever pay for anything in game. And that was buying an extra slot in plants vs zombies 2.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Zaurg, I dunno if you're coming back to the thread, but you can use this quote regarding official FLDOE policy as evidence as to why your daughter should change schools:

As a general rule, a reasonable time expectation for homework is approximately ten times a student’s grade level in minutes (for example, a first grader would spend 10 minutes, a sixth grader 60 minutes).

McCune, Sandra Luna; Alexander, Vi Cain. CliffsNotes FTCE Professional Education Test 3rd Edition (p. 116). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

This is literally what I had to study for my teaching cert exam in the state of Florida.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
*breathless*

• Locked thread