Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Mirror's Edge Catalyst comes out in about a month. So this seems like a good a time to start another Let's Play of the first game which is a little more than 7 years old.

Honestly Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games to play. As someone who is chronically incapable of finishing anything, this is one of the few games that I have finished. This is probably owed to the fact that it is actually a rather short game. In order to keep things interesting I will be playing the little known co-operative mode of Mirror's Edge. By that I mean that this is a challenge run where I will be playing with my friend SwordofKaz.

SwordofKaz posted:

And when he means challenge run, he means it’s going to be a challenge for me not to attempt to strangle my partner in this game.
What this boils down to is that I will be using solely the keyboard to play, while he will completely be in control of the mouse, putting him in charge of look direction and fighting, while I control the movement. This leads to chaos and confusion as we must learn to work together and increase our bond through the power of precision platforming (and friendship). It isn’t a 100% run, and it certainly won’t set any speed records. Just two guys shooting the poo poo while we try not to gently caress each other over too badly.

SwordOfKaz posted:

We will, in fact, gently caress each other over very badly.

I should take this chance to assuage any suspicions based on my earlier comment that I am incapable of finishing anything. We have already finished all of the video recording a little more than six months ago.

SwordofKaz posted:

Unfortunately due to problems in the ‘real world’ we had to sit on all of our footage, however with the new installment of this game about to release, we figured this is the perfect time to kick ourselves in the pants and edit the footage we had. And by kick ourselves, I mean I force Aquasnake to edit all of it.
Being that we recorded this sometime last year, it will also be a relatively fresh experience for us as well and we’ll be glad to chat as we re-experience our antics. Last off, general thread guideline. Don’t feel the need to spoiler anything from the plot. The game is seven years old, the plot isn’t super deep, and last but most importantly I accidentally skip several cutscenes due to keyboard mashing, so feel free to talk about the plot.

Episode 1: Baby Steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Reserved for Episode List.

Episode 1: Baby Steps
Episode 2: Breaking and Entering
Episode 3: Slip Sliding Down the Drain
Episode 4: Not All Who Wander Are Lost, But We Sure Are
Episode 5: Three Guys Walk into a Bar, and You Have to Burn the Rope
Episode 5.5: Trapped in the Not So Great Escape Room
Episode 6: After This Shopping Spree, We'll Never Look Back
Episode 7: Basically Incapable of Fight OR Flight
Episode 8: Stowing Away on the Wrong Luxury Cruise Liner
Episode 8.5: Mini-Boss: Try Using Your Head
Episode 9: Area Under Construction, Runners at Play
Episode 10: The Long Rising Action Before Being Riddled with Bullets

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 3, 2016

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016
Hi everyone, this is SwordOfKaz.

Like Aquasnake/Mason said, this is a really fun game.

Mason and I are both pretty new at this whole Let's Play thing, but we realized that we had to do something more than just play the game if we really wanted ourselves (and the audience) to have fun. So we figured trying this co-op mode might be the best chance we have to bringing our own originality to the mix of this game.

While we did record all of this about 6 months ago, it will be an adventure for you guys and us to experience our version of the game.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
I'm not sure if you were being serious, but to say that there's nothing wrong with this city is, uh...
If it was a joke, it was definitely well-timed. "Everything seems clean and nice" over shots of police opening fire on protesters. It's a nice place to live if you don't do anything illegal, like... smoking tobacco, drinking, organized protest, saying anything negative about the government, running instead of walking... Also every cop in the game will shoot you on sight, even when you're unarmed (which is almost all the time).
...So, yeah.

There's plenty more wrong here, but those parts live in spoilertown.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Warren Waters posted:

Also every cop in the game will shoot you on sight, even when you're unarmed (which is almost all the time).
...So, yeah.

There's plenty more wrong here, but those parts live in spoilertown.
To be fair we are running around on rooftops as well as actively being criminals/working directly against the government, so shoot on sight may be a bit of an extreme stance to take, but what the government says goes.
I wouldn't worry too much about posting spoilers though, I accidentally skipped a cutscene in the first video and I think I do it again at the end of this one as well.

They won't all come out this fast, I just felt I should have more than the first episode ready to get the thread off the ground.

Episode 2: Breaking and Entering

Due to youtube processing it might take a while for the video to be available in top quality, but everything should end up as 1080p 60fps. Even then the exported videos seem a bit blurrier than I would like, but I don't have the space to export 200 gig uncompressed source footage for 20 minutes of entertainment.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
You know, I never actually thought about it before but Mirror's Edge doesn't really go into much detail as to what civil liberty violations caused the various violent protests and such. We're supposed to empathise with Faith because she's our viewpoint and dislike the cops because they're shooting at us. Whatever horrible things they've done aren't elaborated upon in the game itself.

The murder of the opposing political candidate is obviously pretty bad but the rest of it isn't very objectionable. In the end, the 'evil plan' is just to train their soldiers in parkour.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016
"

Warren Waters posted:

I'm not sure if you were being serious, but to say that there's nothing wrong with this city is, uh...
If it was a joke, it was definitely well-timed. "Everything seems clean and nice" over shots of police opening fire on protesters. It's a nice place to live if you don't do anything illegal, like... smoking tobacco, drinking, organized protest, saying anything negative about the government, running instead of walking...

It was, mostly, a joke. While it's a very obviously a dystopian future with strong allusions to George Orwell's "1984" we are pretty much just asked to take it at face value that living in this world is bad. Seeing as I don't live in that world, I couldn't tell you really how bad it is, but clearly there are civil liberty problems and such, but again the only evidence we have is secondary, since it comes from Faith, a biased character who is fighting against the regime due to issues with her family.

But hey, I'm just playing the game for fun. And commenting as well. So mostly I just try to do jokes, and I think my comment was pretty well timed.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I tend not to talk unless I have something to say, and he tries to fill the void. What a wondrous duo we make. It's fun though. I don't think I have what it takes to record solo, so it's nice to have a co-pilot. I'm always looking for more games that I can play in this style.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

I tend not to talk unless I have something to say, and he tries to fill the void. What a wondrous duo we make. It's fun though. I don't think I have what it takes to record solo, so it's nice to have a co-pilot.

I like to think that we make a pretty good duo. As well. He's the Abbott to my Costello, the Teller to my Penn, the Deathstroke to my Deadpool.

It's just a very fun way to play a game as well. And much as I'm not a fan of the film, the Drift Compatibility title makes me laugh.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

SwordOfKaz posted:

It was, mostly, a joke. While it's a very obviously a dystopian future with strong allusions to George Orwell's "1984" we are pretty much just asked to take it at face value that living in this world is bad. Seeing as I don't live in that world, I couldn't tell you really how bad it is, but clearly there are civil liberty problems and such, but again the only evidence we have is secondary, since it comes from Faith, a biased character who is fighting against the regime due to issues with her family.

But hey, I'm just playing the game for fun. And commenting as well. So mostly I just try to do jokes, and I think my comment was pretty well timed.

It was! I just took it too literally, hah.

This really is a great game to play like this. It has a good balance of fast chases and big, 'Okay, where the hell am I going?' sort of areas. Definitely looking forward to seeing how you handle some later levels!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Warren Waters posted:

It was! I just took it too literally, hah.

This really is a great game to play like this. It has a good balance of fast chases and big, 'Okay, where the hell am I going?' sort of areas. Definitely looking forward to seeing how you handle some later levels!

Poorly.

Speaking of which, when it comes to editing, would people rather if I sped stuff up or just cut out chunks? Also I'm thinking for the later levels I might also upload unedited footage as well as edited episodes, because there are some large chunks of us failing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aquasnake posted:

Poorly.

Speaking of which, when it comes to editing, would people rather if I sped stuff up or just cut out chunks? Also I'm thinking for the later levels I might also upload unedited footage as well as edited episodes, because there are some large chunks of us failing.

If it's just repeated attempts at the same area and nothing funny/interesting happens, probably just cut it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tiggum posted:

If it's just repeated attempts at the same area and nothing funny/interesting happens, probably just cut it.

Yeah, although I'd sympathize with your experience, repeated fails probably aren't that entertaining to watch unless someone has something funny to say or interesting to point out while you're doing it. But I don't think you'll need to fast forward anything otherwise, this game (IMHO) is quite gorgeous to look at and I love the simplified, stylized colours - but others may not agree.

I really got into this game when it first came out and I think to this day Mirror's Edge is the only game that's made my palms sweat as I played it, running around on the edges of high-rises and narrow ledges.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, this was and still is one of my favorite games to just chill in. I eagerly await the sequel, I've seen footage of the beta and it looks pretty good, but I get bad vibes from one of the first characters introduced. Icarus? Really? Sure am glad that doesn't immediately bring negative connotations to mind in this universe, but whatever. I only hope I am capable of running it while recording. Given that I can I would like to play through it in a similar style to this.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Not gonna lie, I actually finished this one sometime yesterday. But I wanted to come up with a good name for the obligatory sewer level, I don't think I did great, but it's better than just naming it Obligatory Sewer Level.

Episode 3: Slip Sliding Down the Drain

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

Not gonna lie, I actually finished this one sometime yesterday. But I wanted to come up with a good name for the obligatory sewer level, I don't think I did great, but it's better than just naming it Obligatory Sewer Level.

I disrespectfully disagree. I believe my recommendation of "If At First You Don't Succeed, Fail, Fail again" would work much better.

Don't know why you got to hate my creativity. Sure, we fail at a lot in this game. So maybe that could work for all of our videos.

But hey, this is our first real big time that we screw up.

SwordOfKaz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 22, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That bit where you go down the giant hole took me ages to figure out, because I was trying to see where the path forward was and there just isn't one. I could see the things hanging over the pit were red, but I thought I must be missing something, because once you go up there where would you go next?

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Tiggum posted:

That bit where you go down the giant hole took me ages to figure out, because I was trying to see where the path forward was and there just isn't one. I could see the things hanging over the pit were red, but I thought I must be missing something, because once you go up there where would you go next?

Yeah, this stage was kind of loving awful. I'm pretty sure that we had even more deaths that Mason just decided to completely edit out, since us falling to our death is only funny for a certain amount of time. After that it's just sad.

What's even worse is, that there were sections of this game that we failed at even worse than this. I don't want to spoil it, but I believe we just kept throwing ourselves at one section of gameplay over and over again for over an hour before we had any measurable success.

All in all though, it is still pretty fun. Just kind of breaks your mind in half when you play it like Mason and I do.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

SwordOfKaz posted:

We just kept throwing ourselves at one section of gameplay over and over again for over an hour before we had any measurable success.

It's so cute how little you remember of that part. I don't envy what's in store for me for editing the last couple of fights in this game.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

It's so cute how little you remember of that part. I don't envy what's in store for me for editing the last couple of fights in this game.

It's not that I don't remember how awful we were. I can bring up those terrible memories if I wanted to. I merely chose not to remember them, or if I must remember them, then to do so in a way that colors me in a far better light than you.

But overall, yes, I agree, I don't envy you the task of editing that horrendous mess that was us in the later game.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

And we're back! I'm not dead, as much as it looks like the thread is. I just got a new computer shortly before going out of town for a bit, so I was unable to do much of anything.
Now have an episode where we get lost quite a bit as we try to get back into the swing of things. Video is processing and should be up shortly.

Episode 4: Not All Who Wander Are Lost, But We Sure Are

And for the love of god :justpost:
Talk about something. Anything. It looks weird if I have to almost double post to give an update when the posts are almost two weeks apart.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I just discovered this thread but I will absolutely start watching the videos to get caught up. Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games. I never really thought about the fact that we don't see the bad guys do anything bad really, aside from shoot at us. But it is a cool little game that has a beautiful aesthetic and a control scheme that is both amazing and frustrating at times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

And for the love of god :justpost:

You know, I think you're too quick to blame yourselves for getting lost. There are lots of places in this game where it's really not clear which way you're meant to go.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
this game has a button tied to "look directly at my destination"
impressive that you two haven't made eminent use of it

and by eminent use I mean "I'm taking my ball"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

skullhead tethyis posted:

this game has a button tied to "look directly at my destination"

And sometimes when you press it, you spin around to face a dead end because your next checkpoint is somewhere on the other side of it but you can't go that way from here. It is helpful, but not as helpful as you'd think.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Tiggum posted:

And sometimes when you press it, you spin around to face a dead end because your next checkpoint is somewhere on the other side of it but you can't go that way from here. It is helpful, but not as helpful as you'd think.

While this is a very fun game to play, especially in the way that Mason and I are, it isn't the most well-made or optimized game. There are a lot of problems that could have been solved by better game design, and a lot of times you are just left running around like an idiot wondering where the hell you are supposed to go, when the developers clearly know what they want you to do, they just couldn't show that to you how you would want to be shown.

And then there are times where we run around like a chicken with it's head cut-off, because we are just idiots.

Honestly, I feel like I can't judge it for myself here. Kind of have to let you guys decide.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had forgotten just how many bullshit swarms of American cops there are everywhere in this game who always magically know where you are and are always in perfect positions ahead simultaneously over several separate buildings. :sigh:

Speaking of that I wonder how much it costs to repair everything their trigger happy choppers break everytime they spot something to shoot at. The chief of police must be the owner of the largest (and possibly only) window company in town.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 5: Three Guys Walk into a Bar, and You Have to Burn the Rope

Another Episode, Another Excuse. This one is a rant courtesy of my inner Grumpy Old Man.

WOW, Sorry guys. This got way bigger than I meant. Don't even remotely feel obligated to read my long winded rant on my specific worldview of computer updates.

I don't like change. I don't like it when things get changed and I have no control over it. Every day for the last almost year and a half my phone has kindly asked me to update its operating system. Every single day I tell my phone, "No, not today, ask again tomorrow." Because there is no way for me to tell it to never ask again. Because I don't want it to update again. Because I like everything right where it is. I recently got this new laptop, it came with Windows 10, which I didn't want, but had no choice. My old one never updated to Windows 10, It never even asked me if I wanted it to, because as soon as I got it, I disabled auto updates, and I disabled the thing that will re-enable auto updates without your permission, and I never did a windows update again. Windows 10 got rid of those options, so I had to go into the services and manually disable the windows updater. This was after I did two other things to try to disable automatic updates which didn't work.

You may think, I'm insane, that updates are good for you, and you should always remain up to date. I'll tell you this. Literally the day I got this computer, the Dell software told me it had to update four small things. I don't even know what they were, I think one was like a update for the speakers. Upon installing those updates and restarting, my computer couldn't open anything, like at all, programs, the start menu, even the task manager, both through the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut, and the Ctrl+Alt+Del Menu. Within a day of owning a new computer and doing nothing but install a couple of updates my computer had effectively bricked itself and I had to completely reinstall the operating system.

Two large paragraphs later we begin to wheel around to my point. Yesterday I went to play Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Origin told me that there was a new Nvidia driver update out, and physically would not let me even start to open the game until I had installed it. I was... miffed. After installing the new driver update, and ensuring that it had not rendered the majority of my games unplayable as one had done in the past. I continued playing Catalyst. This morning I went to open Adobe Premiere and lo and behold. it refused to open. Due to it not recognizing the new graphics driver and thinking that I had to update my graphics driver, which was already the most recent one. I relatively quickly realized that there was no way for me to get around this easily, and so I bought the new Premiere Creative Cloud, which I dislike, because it's subscription based and is connected to the internet, and auto updating, and other things that I'll probably complain about, like how everything is in a slightly different place, like if you came home and swapped all of the furniture in your room clockwise or something. I usually used CS6 which has been around since like 2012 which I had control over and you only pay once, to own the thing that you own. But the thing that I hate the most, that really gets my blood boiling... is... it actually runs better. And I'm upset.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, I feel your hate for stupid changes in software. Also updating is scary because you never know what's going to break. :ohdear:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

You may think, I'm insane, that updates are good for you, and you should always remain up to date. I'll tell you this. Literally the day I got this computer, the Dell software told me it had to update four small things. I don't even know what they were, I think one was like a update for the speakers. Upon installing those updates and restarting, my computer couldn't open anything, like at all, programs, the start menu, even the task manager, both through the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut, and the Ctrl+Alt+Del Menu. Within a day of owning a new computer and doing nothing but install a couple of updates my computer had effectively bricked itself and I had to completely reinstall the operating system.
I think your problem there is having the Dell software at all. All that branded poo poo that comes with your computer, you've got to get rid of that and only install stuff you actually want. Same with drivers. When you install new drivers for your video card, it will want to install all this bullshit, extra control panels and whatever else that gives you various fancy features like flipping your screen upside down or whatever, and you're never going to use those features so you just install the drivers without the other bullshit. Or if you have to install it, at least stop it running at startup.

On the subject of new drivers breaking poo poo, that's really one where you can't win. If you install the new drivers, stuff that ran before might break. If you don't install the new drivers, stuff you want to use later might not work. And eventually the new stuff that doesn't work will outweigh the old stuff that might not work, so you may as well just install the updates and solve problems as they arise.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
why the hell should anyone have a worldview on computer updates? it's the top of the list of things that are not your problem
granted I jumped to Linux in high school and never once looked back, so if a driver breaks something its because I broke it first

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Look who's alive. It's me.

Episode 5.5: Trapped in the Not So Great Escape Room
Episode 6: After This Shopping Spree, We'll Never Look Back

Sorry about that guys, It's been a long time and I got stuck in a procrastination loop, It had been a while, and the longer it was the more I felt like I had to do more material, and the more work load I put in front of myself the less I wanted to do it. Anyway here is some new stuff and hopefully this will encourage me to get back on some sort of schedule.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Darn, you almost made it to a two month no-news streak. Couldn't you have held out one more day?

For real, I'm glad this is back cause it was cool from what I remember.
now I'll have to rewatch everything though
oh well

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
If you're repeatedly ducking into and out of cover to kick people in the head, does that make it a cover-based booter?

And woah, that out-of-bounds bug was super creepy

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I hadn't even noticed how close it was to the two month *anniversary* I had just put off doing it for so long, when I actually edited Episode 5.5 in mid July I didn't know before I started it that it was only like 10 minutes. At which point I was like, it's been so long, this isn't enough and just put off uploading until I had more. Also I've been playing a lot of Overwatch when I could be doing other things.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I think this is about the point where I stopped enjoying this game when I played it. I got through the mall by painstakingly popping in and out of cover to take out all the cops one by one.

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

Aquasnake posted:

Also I've been playing a lot of Overwatch when I could be doing other things.

If by playing "a lot of Overwatch" means doing nothing with your free time except for playing Overwatch and working. And I'm not even sure about that last one.

This is also kind of on me, since I should have either pressured him to edit sooner, or just grit my teeth and done it myself.

In somewhat unrelated news though, even though we do have some time until we finish editing and posting this series, we are still eager to keep doing this. We also just bought a brand spanking new microphone that we may or may not have paid for with our bodies, and we are eager to use it. So if you guys have some series that you would like us to try to Let's Play after this, we would be happy to hear about it.

I might do a poll for people to vote on eventually, but until then if anyone has any ideas, let us know.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 7: Basically Incapable of Fight OR Flight

While I'm not really working on a schedule per-se, I am already working on editing episode 8. I'm also going to drag us, kicking and screaming, to page 2 of this forum thread if it kills me. We're literally so close.

Oh, I also super jumped the gun on this post and it's gonna be like half an hour or something before it even finishes uploading and becomes remotely watchable, sorry guys.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 29, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The story of this game is so dumb.

:cop: The city is in the grip of a crime wave!
:ohdear: What sort of crime?
:cop: Unauthorised package delivery!
:confused: Couriers?
:cop: Well, yes, but parkour couriers. Illegal parkour couriers.
:crossarms: ...
:cop: It's a crime.
:raise: So what are you going to do about it?
:cop: Teach the police parkour!
:aaa: My god, that's diabolical!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016
I have some bad news to report everyone. The next episode might take some time to reach you guys. Unfortunately we lost Aquasnake recently.

And by lost I mean he is now playing WoW. So yeah. This could take a little bit of time for me to either shut off his internet connection long enough for him to edit, or just edit it myself.

Wish me luck.

• Locked thread