Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Bullshit aside, it was enjoyable to see when a young relative of mine came over to play on the Vive, then he stayed from 4 to 10 because he was having so much fun. My wife likes the Vive too. Audioshield mainly.

But the price point, the powerful PC requirement, the bulky headset and thick cable are hurdles to the wider market. Oh, and of course content; but that won't appear in huge numbers without wider adoption.

But it's the sort of thing where you have to cast cynicism aside and just give it a go. Well, the Vive at least. I'm not sure how an experience on the Rift that moves the camera artificially will ever catch on, because most won't want to feel sick even for a moment. When Touch is out, the playing field should be a little more level.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think a particular thing I don't like about VR that's probably less common than the usual "it's expensive and there are no games on it" is that I don't think of my display peripherals as something to upgrade. I'm still on a 1360x768 TN monitor and have no interest in getting a better one even as the enthusiast world moves towards 4k 144fps crazytown.

If I knew I could buy a VR headset for $300 in a few years and just have it be The Thing I Play VR Games On for 10 years that would be great, but I expect if these things take off they're going to be on an upgrade cycle in lockstep with GPUs and I'm not willing to buy into that at all. Especially since the Vive has its own special controllers and whatnot so I have very little confidence that it'll be forwards compatible with software meant for the Vive 2, let alone the Renraku Virtuatron that turns out to be the good poo poo in 2030.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 12, 2016

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

HMS Boromir posted:

I think a particular thing I don't like about VR that's probably less common than the usual "it's expensive and there are no games on it" is that I don't think of my display peripherals as something to upgrade. I'm still on a 1360x768 TN monitor and have no interest in getting a better one even as the enthusiast world moves towards 4k 144fps crazytown.

If I knew I could buy a VR headset for $300 in a few years and just have it be The Thing I Play VR Games On for 10 years that would be great, but I expect if these things take off they're going to be on an upgrade cycle in lockstep with GPUs and I'm not willing to buy into that at all. Especially since the Vive has its own special controllers and whatnot so I have very little confidence that it'll be forwards compatible with software meant for the Vive 2, let alone the Renraku Virtuatron that turns out to be the good poo poo in 2030.

If you're running a 1360x768 monitor, bleeding edge displays are clearly not of your interest. Its not surprising you wouldn't be interested in VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

The Vive runs upon OpenVR which is a (relatively) open ecosystem. It's controller and HMD agnostic, people are already using DK2s and Razer Hydra controllers to play Vive games and drivers for both were developed and released by Valve themselves. There's even a community-made driver for the Leap Motion that allows you to emulate a Vive controller with your hands.

There will be an upgrade cycle but unless Valve do a 180 they won't be locking out people with older hardware.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 12, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SwissCM posted:

The Vive runs upon OpenVR which is a (relatively) open ecosystem. It's controller and HMD agnostic, people are already using DK2s and Razer Hydra controllers to play Vive games and drivers for both were developed and released by Valve themselves. There's even a community-made driver for the Leap Motion that allows you to emulate a Vive controller with your hands.

There will be an upgrade cycle but unless Valve do a 180 they won't be locking out people with older hardware.

That's cool then.

Grimshak posted:

If you're running a 1360x768 monitor, bleeding edge displays are clearly not of your interest. Its not surprising you wouldn't be interested in VR.

To be fair, one would assume that VR peddlers intend to at some point penetrate the mainstream and stop existing only on the bleeding edge. At that point I'd certainly be interested, I just don't want to have to deal with a forced upgrade cycle for a display peripheral. If it turns out you can do with VR what I'm doing with my trash monitor and just miss out on some image quality in exchange for keeping your old beater then that'll be great. Assuming the extra image quality isn't the difference between a cool experience and an ipecac substitute of course, but that seems to be a pretty high priority even for this first wave what with the focus on high refresh rate and minimum specs for holding a framerate that high.

Thinking about it reminded me of the one thing I've seen that made me really excited for VR though, so I might have to figure out a way to get 20 minutes with one of these things at some point. I wanna be underwater with that loving whale.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 12, 2016

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

SwissCM posted:

I'm very skeptical about "open" platforms being that reliable. Consoles aren't "open" by any meaningful definition, but poo poo you bought for your Xbox 360 in 2005 will work with a replacement Xbox 360 you got in 2016. That's the advantage of consoles and the complete control manufacturers have over their internal hardware and external connections.

PCs, on the other hand, are an embarrassing clusterfuck of tech. My 2011-era motherboard will literally not boot with my 2008-era graphics card (which works fine in older computers) or a 2014-era graphics card, despite the supposed backwards and forwards compatibility of the various PCI-express bus revisions.

Android is also open, and it's a clusterfuck of 4 different major versions at any given time, each with slightly different standards, all running on a huge variety of hardware and with any of several manufacturer-added propriety UI skins overlaying them. The result is that, if their goal is money and not to support an existing desktop product (e.g. Evernote), most (non-amateur shovelware) developers target iOS first, because Apple's firm control means developers know exactly who and what to develop for. Then maybe later they might get around to an Android version.

My point being, avoid "open" like the plague. If you're looking for longevity in your VR hardware, buy a console.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Curvature of Earth posted:

I'm very skeptical about "open" platforms being that reliable. Consoles aren't "open" by any meaningful definition, but poo poo you bought for your Xbox 360 in 2005 will work with a replacement Xbox 360 you got in 2016. That's the advantage of consoles and the complete control manufacturers have over their internal hardware and external connections.

PCs, on the other hand, are an embarrassing clusterfuck of tech. My 2011-era motherboard will literally not boot with my 2008-era graphics card (which works fine in older computers) or a 2014-era graphics card, despite the supposed backwards and forwards compatibility of the various PCI-express bus revisions.

Android is also open, and it's a clusterfuck of 4 different major versions at any given time, each with slightly different standards, all running on a huge variety of hardware and with any of several manufacturer-added propriety UI skins overlaying them. The result is that, if their goal is money and not to support an existing desktop product (e.g. Evernote), most (non-amateur shovelware) developers target iOS first, because Apple's firm control means developers know exactly who and what to develop for. Then maybe later they might get around to an Android version.

My point being, avoid "open" like the plague. If you're looking for longevity in your VR hardware, buy a console.

OK, so it's closed then. You need Steam. Whatever makes you happy. The fact is, Valve is trying to support other headsets with OpenVR, and Oculus has no interest in doing anything like that.

This is also a bizarre argument.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There's a huge difference between something that gets attached to the PCIe bus and something that goes across USB or HDMI. DMA for starters.

We can't even get GPUs that work between equivalent Mac and Windows PCs, let alone the whole BIOS-vs-UEFI thing.

There's no guarantee that a future Windows wouldn't switch to a new driver model, of course, but your current system running your current OS should be fine indefinitely, just like your Xbox 360 will be fine running X360 games indefinitely.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

VR is ok, not $600 to play a few space sims ok tho.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

This sounds like a very odd and atypical experience to me, having several motherboards and graphics cards and having found them to be generally interchangeable. It might just be that your motherboard is an embarrassing clusterfuck. It's OK, one of mine is too. It works great with 64-bit Ubuntu but won't upgrade to 64-bit Windows 10.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think the reason that VR tech won't work is the same unspoken reason that motion controls eventually failed on consoles (And before you say it worked on the Wii, that was only a short lived fad that has since sputtered and died). People want the smallest amount of barriers between their thoughts and what happens on the screen. They don't want to make all these head turns and bodily movements to make Mario move when a controller or keyboard can do it by barely moving a single finger less than a millimeter. That's why I don't see VR taking off outside of things like flight/racing stuff where you're still using a joystick/steering wheel and the VR is only visual. I think it's similar to why visual systems like Windows replaced text based ones like DOS, It's so much more preferable to simply click on an icon for say, Microsoft Word, than it is to rattle off some command line even if you know how to do both.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Comparing Wiimotes to tracked VR controllers is a dumb comparison and you will know it's a dumb comparison as soon as you actually use them.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I still think "consumers don't like poo poo on their face" is a barrier that needs an overwhelmingly good product to overcome. And we're not there yet; again, this is VR's PalmPilot moment, not it's iPhone moment.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still think "consumers don't like poo poo on their face" is a barrier that needs an overwhelmingly good product to overcome. And we're not there yet; again, this is VR's PalmPilot moment, not it's iPhone moment.

I agree, but PalmPilots were still pretty cool and used by a lot of people. I don't think anyone here is arguing that the tech available today is gonna see iphone/smartphone-levels of success, it's clearly aimed at an enthusiast market. As soon as you wear the Vive it becomes pretty drat clear that VR will be a massive thing once they get the size down and resolution up, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

I also heard that line.

I largely agree. I have the Vive and I would probably buy it again, but it has been hands down the most trying and unstable technology purchase I have ever made. It is 100% not good enough for normal people. I mean gently caress the camera doesn't even work with a bunch of USB chipsets and most of the fans are just accepting of all this poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I also heard that line.

I largely agree. I have the Vive and I would probably buy it again, but it has been hands down the most trying and unstable technology purchase I have ever made. It is 100% not good enough for normal people. I mean gently caress the camera doesn't even work with a bunch of USB chipsets and most of the fans are just accepting of all this poo poo.

It's less that the camera doesn't work with the chipsets and more that the chipsets themselves aren't up to spec and are basically broken. Latency is the main problem, bandwidth a close second and tolerances are super tight with VR, those chipsets simply can't cope with the load.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It's less that the camera doesn't work with the chipsets and more that the chipsets themselves aren't up to spec and are basically broken. Latency is the main problem, bandwidth a close second and tolerances are super tight with VR, those chipsets simply can't cope with the load.

Right but if a tentpole feature on your product doesn't work with a large percentage of systems, it's your problem.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Right but if a tentpole feature on your product doesn't work with a large percentage of systems, it's your problem.

Well as you said most of the fans are just accepting the problem so I guess it actually isn't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Well as you said most of the fans are just accepting the problem so I guess it actually isn't.

I said most, but tbh I don't have any proof of that; it just seems like everyone on reddit lives to poo poo on the Rift and worship the Vive, and ignore all the latter's (not insubstantial) issues.

Also, it's definitely something I'll think about when the inevitable second edition comes about.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I said most, but tbh I don't have any proof of that; it just seems like everyone on reddit lives to poo poo on the Rift and worship the Vive, and ignore all the latter's (not insubstantial) issues.

Also, it's definitely something I'll think about when the inevitable second edition comes about.

The PC ecosystem has always been a mess like that. Remember trying to run 3D accelerators on VIA chipsets in the late 90s?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, only that when you push the limits of current hardware within an open ecosystem there is always going to be failure cases. Valve marketing almost exclusively to the PC gamer crowd is smart, they're generally more willing to put up with that kind of stuff.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Until you've tried it, you won't know how good it is and how amazing room scale VR is.

I've got my Vive 2 days ago and even my dad is impressed and he is the most technically challenged individual who I know, and he hates computers, but being a mechanic in Job simulator was awesome.

It really is something else, feels like a real step up. Like going from 2d to 3d Accelerators.

After the missteps with the Kinect ( no worky ) and the Wii ( a bit worky ) having tracking that works 99% percent of the time feels like magic.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I could care less about VR. However I hope a lot of people adopt it because apparently it takes a lot of power to drive them, so GPU makers are making much faster cards to keep up with that.

So yes goons, spend your money on VR so that non-VR people get more bang for their buck for hopefully a long time, especially since I don't think I'll be going away from 1440P anytime soon.

The biggest turn off for VR for me is it seems like it must be really bad for your eyes. I'm nearsighted as it is, I can only imagine what would happen if some neckbeard wore one of those things for a 8 hour gaming session all the time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mediaphage posted:

You can't fix the fact that people have lovely hardware. The problem isn't in HTC's hardware.

If we're going down that path - I have a workstation with a lovely power supply that overheats and cuts out when you run a big GPU at load. That's probably a pretty common with white-box PCs too, could we get HTC to throw in a replacement power supply for us?.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2016

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Not sure if there are virtual Swedish meatballs though.

edit: looks like it got cleaned up a little bit, I came across it this weeknd in the store and it had tags for Survival Horror FPS

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

edit: looks like it got cleaned up a little bit, I came across it this weeknd in the store and it had tags for Survival Horror FPS

It actually does. It didn't at launch, but they added them, and you can toss them around.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

This is actually a really good choice for a VR environment. IKEA's stores are designed to disorient you in a large, maze-like building, perceptually cut you off from the outside world, and overwhelm you with so much stuff. And the next thing you know you're walking out wondering how you spent $500 dollars on a desk, seriously, the base model is just $120 and that was such a good deal, how did that even happen? You swear your choice in accessories was reasonable!

Rather than attempt to design a "video game world" from scratch that immerses you in a separate environment, they picked something that already does that in real life. It's actually the ideal showcase how much more "complete" a VR experience can be versus a traditional video game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jx2YWzxvbs

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
VR was always a dream to me, but I still don't buy that it's actually "here". Granted, I haven't tried it yet but it just still seems to me like really fancy 3D and not true immersiveness. I don't know, that's why I want to try it but lol @ spending $1k to try it out first.

That's what i'm glad PSVR is here for.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

VR was always a dream to me, but I still don't buy that it's actually "here". Granted, I haven't tried it yet but it just still seems to me like really fancy 3D and not true immersiveness. I don't know, that's why I want to try it but lol @ spending $1k to try it out first.

I was in the same boat, after a weekend with my Vive I can tell you it is here. Go get a demo somewhere, it won't disappoint.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This is actually a really good choice for a VR environment. IKEA's stores are designed to disorient you in a large, maze-like building, perceptually cut you off from the outside world, and overwhelm you with so much stuff. And the next thing you know you're walking out wondering how you spent $500 dollars on a desk, seriously, the base model is just $120 and that was such a good deal, how did that even happen? You swear your choice in accessories was reasonable!

Rather than attempt to design a "video game world" from scratch that immerses you in a separate environment, they picked something that already does that in real life. It's actually the ideal showcase how much more "complete" a VR experience can be versus a traditional video game.

Plus they already had the 3d models / environments, as they stopped using real photography in their catalogs a while ago.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

I'm not convinced you'll think it's anything other than "Fancy 3D" unless you try out the Vive specifically (you don't need to buy it, of course!), because of the freedom of movement and natural 1:1 motion in room scale stuff. Just jump in something like Tilt Brush, and you can instantly see the promise of the tech. It's a shame the Rift didn't launch with Touch.

That doesn't mean to say it's worth buying right now necessarily, the game catalogue is fairly small with regards to well designed games you could actually spend time with.

That said, in a few years, if the price drops, and the resolution gets a bump; there should be a decent number of games on Steam that will be compelling, and then it'll be the time to dip your toe in.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 19, 2016

marcocom
Mar 14, 2016
if you come from the world of military flight sims, and have used TrackIR for 6DOF for the past, um, 10 years.. VR doesn't impress. it's heavy and wears you out. your eyes seem to close to the screen and you can't reach over and grab you drink or joint while playing

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
My biggest misgiving is just the isolation of it. I have a family so I can't imagine playing or using a vr headset except late at night. Even if I was with roommates i would feel like an rear end in a top hat if things were going on around me but I was immersed in my sensory fantasyland.

But I just got a galaxy s7 and I'm leaning towards taking the plunge on vr-lite

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

zelgadis posted:

My biggest misgiving is just the isolation of it. I have a family so I can't imagine playing or using a vr headset except late at night. Even if I was with roommates i would feel like an rear end in a top hat if things were going on around me but I was immersed in my sensory fantasyland.

But I just got a galaxy s7 and I'm leaning towards taking the plunge on vr-lite

The Vive has a front facing camera so you can have a look at what's going on any time, and although I haven't tried it myself, the software supposedly allows you to connect your phone via bluetooth, so you can still get notifications from it.
You also get Steam notifications, and you can use a virtual keyboard to reply to people inside SteamVR (although you wouldn't want to very much, why would you do that when there's a keyboard a few feet away).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lol my vive was torture to set up, it took hours and barely works.

My rift just came in and it's broken out of the box (was planning on keeping the best one)

gently caress vr

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The next generation of consoles is going to have VR as the gimmick I reckon. And to be honest I'd pay 900 bucks for a console with VR attached, knowing that I never have to worry about software or obscure hardware issues.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

abigserve posted:

The next generation of consoles is going to have VR as the gimmick I reckon. And to be honest I'd pay 900 bucks for a console with VR attached, knowing that I never have to worry about software or obscure hardware issues.

Yeah PSVR is going to be huge imo. Nintendo will do whatever weird thing they end up doing.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

abigserve posted:

This is the last generation

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Once the technology is solid I'll be interested. Needs eye tracking and depth of focus.
I don't think the 4k resolution they are struggling for is worth the extra hardware cost IMO. I have an original beta Oculus Rift, it's bad, but the resolution is a small part of why it's bad.

SNOT CORN posted:

This is the last generation
They say that, but the PS4 is outpacing the PS2 and PS1 at this point of their lifecycle. I imagine Sony will make more deals with the devil that is Valve, and the PS5 will probably just be a cheaper gaming computer designed to be in your living room.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Once the technology is solid I'll be interested. Needs eye tracking and depth of focus.
I don't think the 4k resolution they are struggling for is worth the extra hardware cost IMO. I have an original beta Oculus Rift, it's bad, but the resolution is a small part of why it's bad.

I think the increased resolution is worth it; I still like my Vive but I'd probably use it occasionally as a monitor replacement / theater too at a higher res.

• Locked thread