Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been into VR since it was pipe dreams about liquid crystal suits and bulky goggles in spread-eagled Vitruvian-looking torture devices, heady poo poo when Apple's most powerful offering was the IIc.

These days I give vastly less of a poo poo. I mean, the stuff they're cranking out now is certainly impressive, and some of the tag-along tech I've seen shilled is as hilariously wrong-headed as your average third-party Sega peripheral, but I've been here before. I don't doubt that VR goggles will shrink dramatically, but right now we're at the stage where 3D graphics were, when 3DFX cards were kludgy daughterboards with awkward passthroughs from your VGA board. I lost my taste for the risks and dick-waving opportunities of early adoption ages ago, and the recent VR resurgence hasn't revived it.

I'll wait until the tech matures, and see if my aging eyes work worth of enough of a poo poo to buy in then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Have you even tried the Vive yet? VR is very easy to dismiss but even spending like $500 on a new S7 edge and Gear VR I could see the tech is pretty much here. Next generation is gonna be insane but I would still dump some cash into this generation if by this time next year there isn't a better alternative on the horizon. Google is leading the way for the next generation of smartphones to be VR capable to the mainstream.

All we need right now is more adoption of VR by other industries other than the gaming focused, Netflix have been working on some demos but 2d movies aren't really making the most of VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wasn't really convinced that VR would be world-changing until I tried the Vive. I had the DK2, which was cool and a neat thingy for gaming but I never considered it to be a harbinger.

The Vive kinda is. Extrapolate the stuff it does while taking into account the gradual miniaturisation of technology and it becomes apparent AR and VR tech could change everything in a far more radical way than smartphones ever did. When HMD tech is the size and form factor of sunglasses, translucent and capable of reliable tracking outdoors... everyone who has eyes will want one.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 23, 2016

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lady Galaga posted:

Have you even tried the Vive yet? VR is very easy to dismiss but even spending like $500 on a new S7 edge and Gear VR I could see the tech is pretty much here. Next generation is gonna be insane but I would still dump some cash into this generation if by this time next year there isn't a better alternative on the horizon. Google is leading the way for the next generation of smartphones to be VR capable to the mainstream.

Yeah the hardware is here already, next generation will be better but it's already good enough.
The software side of things is where it's lagging. I think it will be some sort of social VR app, or a collection of them, that will popularise headsets. imagine if instead of posting we could just BE in a room together shouting and arguing at each other about VR and throwing poo poo around with occasional games of darts. Or they put up those newfangled gopro 3D mega-cameras all over music concerts and instead of actually being there you can be there in virtual reality

Then they integrate AR and the people in the real world wear glasses so they can see the VR people walking around and interact with them

That's when you know that OP was wrong

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I got to play with the Vive at a friend's place last week and he had set aside half a room with foam jigsaw playmats which really allowed taking full advantage of the VR experience. It was pretty great being able to jump behind objects and peek around walls when playing a dungeon crawler, and playing a shooter that allowed dodging and rolling. The motion tracking was great and it didn't have any of the latency issues I was worried it might have. The headset wasn't too bulky either, and could be used for an hour or two without really noticing (although to foam padding could get a bit sweaty). It seems like this will only become less of an issue as the hardware is further miniaturized. I'm curious about if/when they could switch to a wireless connection to the computer while keeping the latency low.

It seems like the current three methods of navigating the VR space are games on rails, games where stuff comes to you and you are able to maneuver within the limits of your defined play space (or you just sit there and race/pilot), and games that let you move in that play space while also using the controllers to teleport/swing/jump/etc around the map. The rails stuff is pretty dull, but the other two had a variety of fun and immersive games showcasing some of the potential for the headset.

It seems like the biggest hurdle to fully immersive gameplay is being able to set aside enough space to take full advantage of VR.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm kind of skeptical by default, as I did my arts degree at a time when cultural studies academics where sipping the wired technogibberish crackpipe waaaay too hard and where convinced VR second life type poo poo was the FUTURE and we'll all end up as cyberpunks in a william gibson novel. Of course it was all horseshit and the VR headsets of the time where gigantic neckbreakers that ran at 10fps delivering flatshaded polygons and overwhelming nausea.

Now largely we've *mostly* caught up to the fantasy , and perhaps a GTX1080 plus vive really does live up to the hype, but I dont know, can I make money off it? Eh....

I had an occulus dev kit one for a bit from work and was trying to build architectural visualizations. It was kind of hard to make a case for it , to be honest. That said minecraft on the occulus looked amazing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Tbh I'm waiting for more untraditional poo poo. Like a murder mystery where guests are being offed and you're under limited time to figure out who it is. Maybe you find an old secret love letter in her collectibles box and realize that the person who sent it was at the dinner! poo poo like that. I mean some of these things could be done in regular games - and have been - but VR gives it the kind of emotive depth that really grabs you by the balls (not a pork joke).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Tbh I'm waiting for more untraditional poo poo. Like a murder mystery where guests are being offed and you're under limited time to figure out who it is. Maybe you find an old secret love letter in her collectibles box and realize that the person who sent it was at the dinner! poo poo like that. I mean some of these things could be done in regular games - and have been - but VR gives it the kind of emotive depth that really grabs you by the balls (not a pork joke).

Dammit, that was my idea.... And the scary part is that anyone might be it and you can get shanked any time. This all set on an old steam train....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Dammit, that was my idea.... And the scary part is that anyone might be it and you can get shanked any time. This all set on an old steam train....

Haha exactly. I do prefer games that are more mystery and less terrifying though because they make me pretty uncomfortable in VR.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipn69VfII4

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This guy doesn't seem to like VR.

https://www.quora.com/How-big-an-issue-is-the-nausea-problem-for-Virtual-Reality-products/answer/Steve-Baker-9

quote:

IMHO - these devices should be banned

quote:

driving a car while “under the influence” of post-VR disorientation is probably as dangerous as drunk-driving.

Hey look I made my own clickbait article. Hire me, vice.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

He says that VR will cause nausea because the two focusing systems in the eye say different things. One says "Less than 2 meters" and one says "more than 3 meters" and that triggers our caveman reflex thus:

quote:

“This is an impossibility - we must be hallucinating”…and if you’re hallucinating, and you’re a caveman, then you’ve probably eaten something poisonous - a “magic mushroom” maybe? And when that happens, your brain goes into panic mode and tries to empty this substance from your stomach…and you feel very, very nauseous.
I like how his view of the nausea is that cavemen would go around eating everything, ever, and that so much of this caused hallucinations (instead of, you know, slow agonizing death without hallucinations) that we evolved a way in which our sensory organs being out of sync would expel the 'hallucinogen' from our stomachs! :v:

But think about that for a second: You are on a bad trip. During the trip, where you are so messed up that you can't see or walk straight and the body's answer is to throw up? So, you have alerted every astute nose within a mile of you that you are sick and thus "Weak but still tasty prey" and to boot you are too disoriented to GTFO? Yeah, I'm thinking that "evolutionary trait" would have been a very short, very hard dead end.

I also note that his "nail in the coffin" is a military study saying that 8 percent of the flying community have motion sickness-related issues. Hey, guess what? That figure is spot on to general population incidence of motion sickness: 5-10% of the population gets motion sick. Those people aren't going to play VR, just like a lot of them try to not fly or boat or whatever triggers their motion sickness. But, of course, he extrapolates that to every person to use VR and flight sims, even when his source doesn't agree.

And his description of why we get motion sickness and/or nauseous is.....jumbled. I grant that I haven't taken an anatomy course in forever, now, but the explanation for disorientation and motion sickness in those courses came from two types: First, there is the sensory mis-match. E.g. your eyes and ears tell your brain different things. The brain tries to fuse those two together to predict where you need to put your foot when you take a step. if those two don't match, you don't know where the floor is and you stumble around, fall, and crack your head open on the concrete brick you mysteriously have in your VR gaming area. But this is easily solved - flight sim rigs using HMDs I dealt with in the past would create subtle motion that your body would pick up on. You accelerate, and it would accelerate just enough to give your brain the cue that you were moving and thus reduce the sensory conflict. Same with deceleration - small movements back would make your brain pick up that cue.

The second type is control-feedback motion sickness, and that's where people only get motion sickness when they are not in control - e.g. they can drive a car, but they get motion sick if they are a passenger. I doubt this type would come into play because you are controlling the VR session, but it's where you use the controls you are handling to anticipate a change and prepare for it versus reacting to it when you aren't prepared.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, shrooms will make you nausus, but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with any evolutionary reaction to consuming poisons.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No way was I going to allow myself to get excited about vr without trying it first, in case I just felt sick using it. Luckily, I didn't .... except in one game (in beta), called "blind" that I played... no other problems for the rest of the day. When buying vr games in the future though, I'll hope for a playable demo.

I'm glad I gave it a shot, a ton of fun to play with and I want it.

E- actually I'm underselling it. It was awesome. My brain was fooled, it was real and I wanted to explore.

Just looking at all the negative points of it really doesn't give the full story at all.

That's my story thanks for reading.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 30, 2016

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
That article is a lot of words, bullshit, and speculation just to say "strapping a goddamn screen to your face can be disorienting," which is obvious.

I believe the real test for VR will come when it's cheap and convenient enough for potential mass adoption. How many people here run a tiny cheap monitor and own a biblical sized TV but continue to play PC games on a postage stamp display because hooking up to the TV is inconvenient? Same goes for studio headphones or fancy gaming headsets with more channels than they have fingers and the aesthetics of a flamboyant robot, but more often than not use whatever tinny speakers come with their monitor out of sheer convenience. The ultimate question is whether the majority of people will be compelled enough to train themselves to deal with disorientation and limitations of VR and will the potential experience warrant the effort of using it. I had a VFX-1 back in the day which was incredible despite the profound limitations, but naturally over time the whole endeavor just wasn't worth the inconvenience despite continuing to play the supported games for years.

I'm skeptical whether the motion sickness issues will ever be addressed. It's been attributed to everything from persistence, FOV, resolution, refresh rate, and even being able to see your goddamn nose. One by one they're being addressed but nothing seems to be a panacea for the issue which is likely inherent in the technology. I believe it foolish to dismiss VR as a gimmick, but until there's an experience truly compelling outside of the areas VR has always done well (seated and guided experiences) it will never be anything more than a replacement for multi-monitor setups. What everybody wants most from the experience is still the area where its the weakest and it's clear existing software is ill-suited. Make no mistake though, if VR makes it into the second or third generation of the current iterations I will jump in for the seated experience, but at the moment its another stereotypical "almost there" technology.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 30, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I think we can all agree that the majority of VR related car accidents will involve Teslas running into trucks with grass/lines/anything painted on them while the driver has a headset on.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

ItBurns posted:

I think we can all agree that the majority of VR related car accidents will involve Teslas running into trucks with grass/lines/anything painted on them while the driver has a headset on.

All the computing power, predictive AI, and high resolution multi-spectrum cameras in the world are ultimately no match for a single jackass with a beat to poo poo Ford Econoline, a few cans of spray paint, and the inclination to risk the life and limbs of anyone wealthier than them for petty amusement.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 29, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

objects in mirror posted:

Has VR even really delivered anything? Why?

"Tell me, Dr. Freeman Mr. VR, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?... I thought not."

I think the approach of being interested in VR is about as valid as being interested in CPUs. They're means to an end, in this case it's immersion. There's still a lot of work left to be done (graphics resolution, size and weight of the equipment, general clunkiness), sure. But who cares, just wait a few years if you don't like the current offerings. No point in dismissing the whole thing.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

flavor posted:

"Tell me, Dr. Freeman Mr. VR, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?... I thought not."

I think the approach of being interested in VR is about as valid as being interested in CPUs. They're means to an end, in this case it's immersion. There's still a lot of work left to be done (graphics resolution, size and weight of the equipment, general clunkiness), sure. But who cares, just wait a few years if you don't like the current offerings. No point in dismissing the whole thing.

It's already delivered near 1:1 immersion with seated experience and proper wheel/flight-stick controls that can only improve with the technology. Only those with expectations of being fully immersed in a first person world without significant compromises that will be disappointed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Take a random person and put them in VR and they won't give a gently caress about FoV, screen-door effect, godrays, persistence, or any of the other technical problems people :spergin: about. Like a waverunner, it's physically impossible to be sad while playing with a Vive.

The games library isn't there yet but we're still like within 2 months of launch. There's enough that everyone can find at least one or two titles they'll like.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

It's already delivered near 1:1 immersion with seated experience and proper wheel/flight-stick controls that can only improve with the technology. Only those with expectations of being fully immersed in a first person world without significant compromises that will be disappointed.

This is so not true to anyone who has tried a Vive. It really is something different.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 30, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is so not true to anyone why has tried a Vive. It really is something different.

This, a million times. Room-scale VR is a game changer and immersive as gently caress. You haven't truly VR'd until you've fallen on your rear end because you tried to lean on a table that's not actually there in the real world but every fiber of your being was absolutely convinced was right there for you to touch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Seriously, if you have any doubts about what VR can do as a technology, go to a Vive demo station. It will erase them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ahaha that guy is a douche. He's floating around the correct answer in re: sickness, but it's not quite that. Either way, I've been getting sick from playing video games since like Wolfenstein goddamned 3D, and I haven't been on a murderous driving rampage in years. Also, I get waaaaay less sick in VR than in any normal 3D game.

Also: I drove to a friend's place out of town this weekend, and decided to bring the Vive since we'd be hanging out for a few days. There was a party on Saturday and people played the Vive for like 10 hours straight, then thanked me for bringing it because it was "incredible." An art teacher started crying after playing around in Tilt Brush.

I mean I know this sounds like a mega nerd post, and I guess it is, but you guys, this poo poo really is something special.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
VR is the next excuse to sell new video cards since 1080p is good enough for most people.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

computer parts posted:

1080p is good enough for most people.

Not at 27" and larger.

And lol if you haven't tried working on dual 27" screens, you're missing out so hardcore.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't many people are doubting that VR, roomscale especially, is cool and fun and neat and mind blowing to experience. Like, I'm a huge skeptic and I think its probably just the next fad as the industry desperately tries to find something to make people buy new poo poo, but even I think its cool tech and enjoyed playing with a Vive and an Oculus when I have.

Most of the criticisms are either;
A) Its too expensive. Because it is. If your average non-PC gamer wants to get into VR right now they're looking at at least $1200, maybe more, to build a PC and buy a VR headset. Hell even if you're a PC gamer you're looking at the price of the headset and probably a GPU upgrade. poo poo's expensive yo and everyone has been saying "well in the future it'll be cheaper" since the first dev kit of the oculus. That might be true but we're talking about the tech that's around right now.
B) It's impractical. Because it is. Barely anyone has the space needed for roomscale VR, even people who review this stuff have a hard time finding the space to set it up. Wires get everywhere and set up is a pain in the rear end. Seated VR is much better in this regard though.

This all said I think VR has the potential to be another Wii. When it hits that sweet price point I think a ton of people will buy one, mess around with it for a few hours, maybe take it to a party and eventually leave it in the closet whenever the next BIG INNOVATION shows up. This isn't a criticism or anything, the wii was a fantastic success and if VR has even half of it's success rate it'll be awesome.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That might be true but we're talking about the tech that's around right now.

And that's totally clear from a thread title that talks about VR in general instead of current VR.

I'd actually say that VR in general can't be overhyped, but that we're all still waiting for that first product that makes it really affordable and great for >90% of all people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This all said I think VR has the potential to be another Wii.

flavor posted:

I'd actually say that VR in general can't be overhyped, but that we're all still waiting for that first product that makes it really affordable and great for >90% of all people.

Yeah, I agree with both of these. I'm really curious to see what Google's new product is going to be, and I want to see how well the PSVR does; those two will better inform me personally on how well be is doing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
VR is basically the next Wheel/Stick/Pedals. It's the next level of TrackIR for racing and flight sims, has a small number of new things it can do relatively well, and is a negative for the majority of games. It will never take over, but it's here to stay as a niche market for people who are willing to double their hardware costs for one or two particular sims they really like.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

K8.0 posted:

VR is basically the next Wheel/Stick/Pedals. It's the next level of TrackIR for racing and flight sims, has a small number of new things it can do relatively well, and is a negative for the majority of games. It will never take over, but it's here to stay as a niche market for people who are willing to double their hardware costs for one or two particular sims they really like.

Isn't all of this written from the Rift's perspective, though? The Rift isn't spectacular right now, more like a fancy screen for sims. The Vive is the only current way to see what VR can be. The Rift was released in a half-arsed state, completely missing the hand tracked controllers...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

K8.0 posted:

VR makes simple things really enjoyable, mechanics that would be stupid with a controller ( job simulator, longbow ) are wonderful when played in VR. The sense of scale alone is magic compared to a regular screen. So no I don't agree that it is comparable to a trackIr,

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
VR is super cool but I haven't seen evidence that it'll be any sort of game changer to anyone besides architectural firms. Vive is fun and has a very real wow-factor, but the games are basically carnival games and unless they can figure out a way around the very real limitations of room scale (not even mentioning seated experiences) there's going to be a pretty tiny shelf of worthwhile titles (sorta like Wii). If VR does really take off I think it's going to be driven by something outside of gaming.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

wyoak posted:

VR is super cool but I haven't seen evidence that it'll be any sort of game changer to anyone besides architectural firms. Vive is fun and has a very real wow-factor, but the games are basically carnival games and unless they can figure out a way around the very real limitations of room scale (not even mentioning seated experiences) there's going to be a pretty tiny shelf of worthwhile titles (sorta like Wii). If VR does really take off I think it's going to be driven by something outside of gaming.

porn

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The free sites won't/don't have the capital for compatible titles and the niche sites are by definition too small to really make an impact.

Besides, the last thing porn backed failed miserably (HD-DVD).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I don't many people are doubting that VR, roomscale especially, is cool and fun and neat and mind blowing to experience. Like, I'm a huge skeptic and I think its probably just the next fad as the industry desperately tries to find something to make people buy new poo poo, but even I think its cool tech and enjoyed playing with a Vive and an Oculus when I have.

Most of the criticisms are either;
A) Its too expensive. Because it is. If your average non-PC gamer wants to get into VR right now they're looking at at least $1200, maybe more, to build a PC and buy a VR headset. Hell even if you're a PC gamer you're looking at the price of the headset and probably a GPU upgrade. poo poo's expensive yo and everyone has been saying "well in the future it'll be cheaper"

AMD just released a $200 vr ready video card so the future is here

I got my vive today and I've never played with vr before or any of the pre commercial stuff. Really fun experience. The game library is for sure not there yet but there's some fun suff. I'm looking forward to more online play. Really excited to try out pool tomorrow and play online with random people.

Being in a vive definitely does give you enough of that feel to trick the poo poo out of your brain sometimes.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nitr0 posted:

AMD just released a $200 vr ready video card so the future is here

The announced the release for the 29th. It's expected to offer performance between a 390 and a Fury, for $199, and at a 150watt power usage, opposed to 3XX series at 275.
It could be a serious game changer, but we need to see actual performance first. The price is certainly amazing!

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is so not true to anyone who has tried a Vive. It really is something different.

It's a different gimmick. The limitations of what you can do in a room tethered to a computer are absolutely huge. Cool as hell? Most definitely. Practical enough to push adoption and innovation to the point where anyone bothers putting serious effort/money into it? Probably not at least in the consumer sector. Honestly I predict it being the first feature to hit the chopping block with next iteration of devices. The issue with locomotion in VR is likely a fundamental one and it's incredibly temperamental.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 2, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You're awfully dismissive of roomscale. It fundamentally just means "lots of tracked area" and I don't see why they'd deliberately constrict the tracking space in the next gen?

Have you actually tried room-scale VR with tracked controllers?

Regarding locomotion, it'd be nice if we had infinite treadmills and gravity manipulators but the only way to really pull it off at the moment is with a mixture of simply moving around the space you have and using teleportation (in its many forms) to move greater differences. Everyone is testing out different mechanics for this sort of stuff at the moment, there isn't an established standard at all nor should there be yet.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SwissCM posted:

You're awfully dismissive of roomscale. It fundamentally just means "lots of tracked area" and I don't see why they'd deliberately constrict the tracking space in the next gen?

Have you actually tried room-scale VR with tracked controllers?

Regarding locomotion, it'd be nice if we had infinite treadmills and gravity manipulators but the only way to really pull it off at the moment is with a mixture of simply moving around the space you have and using teleportation (in its many forms) to move greater differences. Everyone is testing out different mechanics for this sort of stuff at the moment, there isn't an established standard at all nor should there be yet.

Yeah but that's the problem. All of the currently available ways to pull it off are trash

• Locked thread