Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tentatively planning on using a synchtube for Kimagure Orange Road tonight at the simul time. Will post a link when it's close to the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kimagure Orange Road
A new town, a new school, a new life, a new love? When Kyosuke moves into a new house, he meets two girls, one mysterious and one brash. He feels a connection to both, but who will he choose?

Do you like shonen Rom-Coms? Well, this is one of the progenitors. This is as basic and primordial a shonen romance can be. There's a boy, he's new in town. He meets two girls. He likes them both, but he can only choose one. They have different looks and personalities. One is a mature, tall dark haired one and the other is a cute, childish, brown haired one. However, this show has one key difference from other shonen romances. I won't spoil what it is, but you'll know instantly, and it will come out of nowhere.

Special note: This show has (as far as I know) the first tsundere. This is where it all began!

Tonight at 7, we take the whimsical road paved orange.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://io.synchtu.be:8443/r/Srice

Here's the room, and KoR will be queued up shortly!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pro as hell clicks right below

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-1_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-2_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...d-op-3_creation

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I missed the synchtube. Argh!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Daaang, those are real good. Especially the first, but I really like the teacup bit from the third.

I don't have any real desire to watch KOR, but I totally would have synchrowatched it with you if it weren't board game night.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The OPs and EDs of KOR are really good but the show itself doesn't grab me that much. It was fun and there's a good set of side characters which is something that I think is pretty key to any romantic comedy, but it's a genre that doesn't grab me and this is definitely one of the big ones!

That said, like City Hunter and Fist of the North Star, here's a single voice actor in two very different roles: Toro Furuya was Seiya in Saint Seiya, and here as Kyosuke. I think Toro has a pretty distinctive timbre that makes him pretty recognizable no matter what he's doing, compared to Kamiya's wide range.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the dance episode was my favorite of the three tonight.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A thing I mentioned in chat: This shows doesn't feel anime. I've seen dozens of shonen romance shows/manga, but this one feels more like a J-drama that just happens to be animated. It seems like its descendents ramped up KOR's formula and ran with it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh my God, I totally missed this thread and yet somehow I felt compelled to watch Captain Tsubasa, the PT-BR dub, last week. That's weird.

I remember us making fun of the infinite length soccer fields in the series and trying to figure out how the hell Tsubasa's sudden drop kick even works. The silly thing is that it's actually a thing, the "folha-seca" kick, or the dry leaf kick. Also trying to figure out who the future international stars were based on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

Oh my God, I totally missed this thread and yet somehow I felt compelled to watch Captain Tsubasa, the PT-BR dub, last week. That's weird.

I remember us making fun of the infinite length soccer fields in the series and trying to figure out how the hell Tsubasa's sudden drop kick even works. The silly thing is that it's actually a thing, the "folha-seca" kick, or the dry leaf kick. Also trying to figure out who the future international stars were based on.

The giant loving fields, Hyuga breaking a wave in half with his kick, that sick kid who could only play for five minutes except the five minutes turned out to be the freeza kind, the goalkeeper whose gimmick was punching balls with karate moves, ten episodes for a football game that is usually 90 mins long... Super Campeġes ftw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only way I won't be streaming Touch tomorrow is by an act of god.

Even if you're turned off by sports I implore yall to at least give the first episode a shot. There's like less than a minute of baseball stuff in it and heck in general those early episodes focus more on the characters than the sport.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

The only way I won't be streaming Touch tomorrow is by an act of god.

Even if you're turned off by sports I implore yall to at least give the first episode a shot. There's like less than a minute of baseball stuff in it and heck in general those early episodes focus more on the characters than the sport.

I'll write about this tomorrow

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I'll write about this tomorrow

Cool. I like those little writeups you've been doing for each session by the way!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
if you stream it, I'll probably watch it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Touch
Two brothers, Kazuya and Tatsuya love the same girl. Kazuya is the perfect student--perfect grades, star of the baseball team, a good head on his shoulders. Tatsuya is anything but that--lazy and always trying to cheat his way out of work. Will the lazy brother be able to get the girl, or will she end up with her perfect match?

Touch is a lot of things. It's a drama, a romance, a baseball show. One thing I see in it (but no one else does apparently) is a proto-slice of life story. It has everything a slice of life story has, a bare bones plot, a focus on characters, a lack of direction. While things do happen later in the series that make it more plot driven, the episodes leading up to that are real, honest to God slice of life. If you can recognize an earlier slice of life show, I'd appreciate it, because I consider this the first one.

Tonight at 7, we pitch our way into our childhood friend's heart.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At the top of the hour I'll start streaming Touch!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I forgot to mention, but Touch is one of the biggest ratings draws in anime history. At its peak, it pulled 30s. This means that when Touch came on, 30% of all Japanese TVs were watching

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

At the top of the hour I'll start streaming Touch!

poo poo! Looks like I'm going to be ~10 minutes late!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo! Looks like I'm going to be ~10 minutes late!

It doesn't look like attendance will be wild or anything so I'm fine with pushing it back 10 minutes!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Touch is really good. Just from the episodes we watched there's a level of craft at work that makes it clear why it was such a phenomenon. It's really high quality stuff, especially for a 100+ episode series. I don't know if I'll watch it just yet, I already have a couple of other 100+ episode sports shows on my roster, but I'm willing to check it out eventually.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I liked it a lot more than I expected to. I wouldn't say it's quite SoL-y, since it does seem to have a direction in which it's meandering, but is very laid-back, with plenty of time for the characters to just bounce off each other. If the dang thing were a quarter the length, I'd probably watch it, Tatsuya seems like a great protagonist. Stupid old shows.

I might read the manga.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
drat, Touch kicks rear end. Really digging Tatsuya running to school with toast in his mouth, the very early pool episode and the prince and the pauper baseball game.

I'm definitely going to watch more of this, even though I really don't appreciate the extremely weird cat dog thing.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Seriously

The gently caress is this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like its thought bubbles.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

Samoyed

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

I think it's a cat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Touch is a really good show that I gotta resume. I stalled at the end of Part 1, which is when a major change to the status quo occurs, but not because it was bad. Rather I had just become quite busy at the time. Revisiting those early eps definitely motivates me to pick it back up though.

It's slow but there's just a lot of heart behind the whole cast. Adachi's art is cool so the manga is always an option but personally I find that the anime adds a lot to the experience. The soundtrack is great at setting the mood, lots of voice actors that are still well-known today, and the slow pacing just plays well in anime format. I've read other Adachi works in manga form and binging them makes it a bit repetitive, but slowly going through one of his stories in anime form just works out so well.

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

That's Punch!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also, while I have not watched them myself, I've heard that the Touch movies feature new animation and are an acceptable alternative to the tv show. If you liked what you saw but aren't sure if you want to commit to a long journey, those could be a decent substitute.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

I've seen several Samoyeds irl and this isn't one.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

IMO Beautiful Dreamer is sort of a boring pile, aside from the first 20 minutes or so. Everyone goes nuts over it but its nowhere near as good as regular old episodes where Ataru is a pervert, and then gets zapped by Lum or fried by Ten

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

Japanese Spitz?

I've been using this thread as an excuse to watch a couple of shows I haven't seen before. Saint Seiya's been on the backlog a long time, and like Srice, I might be in the right mood for this sort of show now. Watched the first episode of Touch and I quite like it, too.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2016

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I'm down for Lum I guess.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Urusei Yatsura: Only You
Who is this mysterious girl who has fallen from the sky? And why does she want to gently caress this loser?

You know what this is. This is Lum! It's hard to put into words how influential Urusei Yatsura is. Before Attack the Titan, before Boruto and all that poo poo, this was the normie show. This show and Hokuto no Ken are the reason why people like anime in the West. In Japan, this is the wellspring from which all shonen rom-coms flow. At this point, Lum isn't even an anime character, she's more like Hello Kitty and Doraemon.

Tonight at 7, we finally learn where all those avatars come from.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am excited for lum

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm going to watch this. But probably not tonight, and if tonight, not until later.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sadly I won't have the time to watch it tonight but I will definitely watch and type words about it at some point this week!

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I'm watching without subtitles and only half paying attention I just have this on in the background for the trippy visuals and cute things

the intro song is real cute and catchy I'm liking it

Mendou is kewl

Sakura is even cooler!! I wish she was my mom

that was a trip

Al Cowens fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 15, 2016

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
This is my favorite character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
t- to think that you had su- such a dreadful technique...
i am glad i lost to a man like you.....

*revives next chapter*

• Locked thread