Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm excited, I think I'll be able to follow along with this one!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am starting now. I've seen the first episode many, many times already so I'm going straight to episode 2.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I love the designs of the murderous goons in this show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am now starting City Hunter.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for running this simulwatch, Crow. It's giving me a reason to watch all these shows that have been on my mind for awhile. I'm definitely going to watch the rest of Otokojuku after this.

I'm not sure how I feel about City Hunter. It's very stylish, I love the music and the visuals (for some reason the subway scene in episode 4 resonated with me visually, I think it was the tiles), and in general I really love a lot of 80's Japan at Night type stuff, but it's just not clicking with me for some reason. I think it's more enjoyable after Kaori is introduced, though, and I understand why you chose the episodes you did.

I'm going to watch Cat's Eye tonight. I've been hesitant to watch it before because it seems like a show that'd be entertaining to watch an episode every once in awhile, but not a show you'd binge watch all 70-odd episodes of, and I already have a lot of those shows on my plate already.

I'm really excited for Saint Seiya. It's one of my favorite shows ever and definitely my favorite shonen battle anime. I wish we could watch more than three episodes, because even with an incredible beginning it just gets stronger and crazier from there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think Cat's Eye is the more interesting of the two, at least from a direction standpoint. Lots of quick cuts and images while City Hunter is kind of...I don't want to stay standard, maybe action-movie? That said, there's pretty much no way I could watch all 70+ episodes of Cat's Eye if they're all like the episodes we sampled.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like Captain Tsubasa. Once again Latino anime fans prove their superior taste.

It has a lot of little goofy things about it, such as the samey character designs and the shaking pupils that are really endearing to me. I don't know if its fair to compare it to a Tatsunoko show; I think it comes more from the sports drama mold than from kids action shows. Even in the few episodes we watched it covers a lot of the themes and archetypes that recur in sports drama anime; income disparity, the international nature of sports, rivals with tragic backstories and friendly neighborhood kids. They aren't as overt or extreme as they are in a Ikki Kajiwara manga, and it's all in a package for elementary school students, but I think there's enough to it to make its popularity deserved. I just don't know if I'd watch all 100+ episodes of it over other sports anime, especially since the latest group to take it on has seemingly disappeared from the internet, 13 episodes from finishing the show entirely.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya is one of my favorite anime ever. I'll watch tonight, but enjoy everyone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I started watching because a friend translated a part of the Italian dub. I'll post that translation later tonight.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

This was pretty cool! I will admit i'm not a big fan of fight shonen in general, but I had fun with this. With that said though, much like cat's eye it feels like it's very formulaic and apparently it goes on for 100+ episodes so i'm not sure i wanna continue it.

It gets really, really good. I wish we could have watched more because it gets crazier and more intense as the show goes on.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I encourage everyone to watch episodes 4 and 5 as well because they're a good example of how the show escalates very quickly.

Saint Seiya is one of those shows that appears to be long but goes by really quickly, it's very well directed and scripted and it handles multiple fights going on at the same time with mathematical precision. It's a masterclass effort on all levels, with excellent sound, music and visuals at every step. It also has the best filler arc in shonen battle anime, one that meets and at times exceeds the excitement and drama of the original show. The fact that the filler arc is now considered canon, and even had a new sequel anime should clue you in to how well received it was.

If I had any advice for any potential Saint Seiya watchers, it would be to take care watching the 2004 OVA that finishes off the series. While the production team does a good job translating the style and goofiness of the 80s show over to a 2004 show, I can't help but feel like it still lost something in the transition, which isn't helped when it becomes increasingly obvious that the original author was losing interest in the source material at the same time. It has a couple of standout moments that are among my favorites in the whole series, and my favorite villain of the whole show, but overall I would say stop with the 80s series unless you become a diehard fan like me.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 3, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I missed the synchtube. Argh!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The OPs and EDs of KOR are really good but the show itself doesn't grab me that much. It was fun and there's a good set of side characters which is something that I think is pretty key to any romantic comedy, but it's a genre that doesn't grab me and this is definitely one of the big ones!

That said, like City Hunter and Fist of the North Star, here's a single voice actor in two very different roles: Toro Furuya was Seiya in Saint Seiya, and here as Kyosuke. I think Toro has a pretty distinctive timbre that makes him pretty recognizable no matter what he's doing, compared to Kamiya's wide range.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the dance episode was my favorite of the three tonight.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Touch is really good. Just from the episodes we watched there's a level of craft at work that makes it clear why it was such a phenomenon. It's really high quality stuff, especially for a 100+ episode series. I don't know if I'll watch it just yet, I already have a couple of other 100+ episode sports shows on my roster, but I'm willing to check it out eventually.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's been a busy week, so tonight I'm finally going to watch Only You.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm still catching up with the simul because of a busy week last week but I'm excited to finally watch the Cobra movie. The TV series is one of my favorites and if you want more adventures with Cobra I highly suggest checking it out! The whole thing is on youtube, the last I checked.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

gently caress yeah space rave!

Every 80s space anim ehas one

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been sick for two weeks and I went to the doctor today so here's
[no one cares about kimengumi, no pics today, sorry]

High School! Kimengumi the Movie
It's summer and the Funny Face Club are trapped at school! What hijinks will the crew get up to this time?

I'm going to level with you, we're only watching this because Stop! Hibari-kun has garbage subs and I couldn't find the first three episodes of Dr. Slump subbed. We need a gag show and here we are. This is a big time gag manga from when gag manga was huge. It's a beloved favorite for 80s kids all over the Nippon, and I loving hate it. It just isn't funny to me. You might think it's funny though, so go ahead and watch

Tonight at 7, our looks are laughable, unphotographable, yet we're my favorite work of art.

I watched Kimengumi. Even though it's the shortest thing we've watched this entire simul, it felt absolutely interminable. For every gag that worked there were many more that didn't. The music video sections were my favorite part.

Dr Slump definitely has subs on nyaa by a group called n'chasubs. Dr Slump's humor is more character based and physical comedy based which makes it easier to grasp and laugh at compared to Kimengumi, which is pretty much complicated wordplay and shouting all the way down. Dr Slump is also a lot more charmingly surreal over Kimengumi's relentless, in your face strangeness. If you struggle through the first ten minutes of Kimengumi I'd say watch some Slump instead.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to watch Only You now and hopefully I'll be caught up by next Tuesday.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Only You. It was okay. It was very much Lum: The Movie, the whole cast showed up and had their gags and it was basically a feature-length episode of the show. Nothing particularly stood out about it to me. Tomorrow I'm going to watch Beautiful Dreamer, which I think will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Beautiful Dreamer tonight.

In the first act, I guess my review was that it was a good Mamoru Oshii film and a good film overall, but not a very Urusei Yatsura film. It had amazing cinematography and really well constructed scenes and backgrounds, but nobody was quite acting like themselves and I sort of understood why contemporary fans would be disappointed. I also saw the seeds of influential anime of the future; the first act is so alienating that I couldn't help but be reminded of Haruhi and Evangelion.

Then I saw the rest of the film. It's a really, really good film, that really resonates with me and I'm all aboard the Beautiful Dreamer hype train now.

• Locked thread