Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The 1980s are the most important era in modern shonen. It's the beginning of every shonen cliche. The biggest shows in history began here. More importantly for us, if you live in the West, these shows are the reason why you like anime. 80s shonen broke down the doors for anime to gain a following in the West.

Despite all this, I've noticed that while everyone knows these shows off of reputation, not a lot of people have actually sat down and watched them. Sure, it's fun to make fun of Saint Seiya's popularity in Latin America, but have you actually watched it to see why it's so beloved? Everyone around here has a Lum avatar, but do you actually know what her voice sounds like?

That's why I've come up with this simulwatch. In the spirit of the forum, we'll do a three episode test of the biggest and brightest of 80s shonen. I'm skipping some episodes because these shows start a little slow, and I want to give you the best estimate of what the show is actually about. These shows run the gamut from available on every streaming site to never before released in English. I'll help you out with releases to the best of my ability, but :filez: is the name of the game here.

Do you speak Spanish, Portuguese or Italian? Grow up in Latin America? Many of these shows have old school dubs in these languages. It would be lovely if one of you brave folks took one for the team and watch the Spanish or Portuguese language dubs.

SCHEDULE

Week 1: Sweaty Men, Sweaty Punch
5/17 Hokuto no Ken (available on crunchyroll) 1,2,3
5/19 Sakigake! Otokojuko (availablehere) 1,3,4

Week 2: Tsukasa Hojo Week
5/24 City Hunter 1,4,5 (available here)
5/26 Cat's Eye 1,2,3 (available here

Week 3: Beloved, but not in the US
5/31 Captain Tsubasa 1,2,3 (here, here and here)
6/2 Saint Seiya 1,2,3

Week 4: #ShonenFeels
6/7 Kimagure Orange Road 1,2,3
6/9 Touch 1,2,3

Week 5: Lum Invasion
6/14 Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You
6/16 Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer

Week 6: Movie Night
6/21 Space Adventure Cobra
6/23 High School! Kimengumi the Movie

Week 7: THE END???
6/28 Dragonball 1,2,3 (available on hulu)
6/30 ?????

You can watch these shows at any time those days, but I recommend you watch them collectively at 7 pm EDT, if you can. Quit using spoiler tags for things that happen in the episodes after 8:30, and be sensible around spoilers for things that will happen in these shows down the line. Remember, these shows are over 30 years old, some plot twists are common knowledge now.

It's the summer, get sweaty and watch some shows for MEN

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp-JIwGciM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zpl4m_captain-tsubasa-episode-2-english-sub-waoanime-t_fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRQGL42JAoA

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 13, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NEVER MIND WATCH THE 'TUBE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gonna try to watch these at the listed time but I'm tempted to skip ahead while I still have some free time.

Is the final entry a mystery video, or no idea yet?

Mystery

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fist of the North Star

Kenshiro's had a bad couple of weeks. The atomic bomb went off, his girl's gone and now he's trapped in the desert. The last thing you'd want to do is make him angry...

Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) is the shonen show. Kenshiro's quest through the wasteland is the prototypical shonen quest, the quest to which all other quests are measured. Kenshiro's fantastical fighting style and his overall power can be seen in everyone from Goku to Gon. Hokuto no Ken the manga came out in 1983 and the anime is from 1984. We're watching two shows from before this time, and you will know them. They just feel weird compared to modern shonen.

Tonight, at 7, you are already dead.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You should have already started...

Why haven't you?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DraconicImpulse posted:

It's interesting to see the power-aura thing even when watching a shounen from 1984. The Bruce Lee screams are as entertaining as from the real deal.

This is where that started

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOEcfIrECY
Sakigake!! Otokojuko

Somewhere in Tokyo, there exists a school for young men who can't make it anywhere else. These men are too violent and unruly for any ordinary high school. Otokojuko is no ordinary high school.

Otokojuko is great fun, to a point. It starts off as a gag show, but slowly becomes something unrecognizable. Originally, it was a parody show satirizing classic delinquent manga. A headstrong young man with a good heart joins together with other hot-blooded young men to make a place for themselves in this cruel world. It does not turn out like that in the slightest.

I'm not going to spoil how it changes, but if you watch the episodes we are going to watch carefully, you will see how the show changes. A bit of reading between the lines is required, but I know that you will figure out what happens after this! Just remember, the two series most indebted to Otokojuko are Cromartie High School and Ouendan.

Tonight at 7, we become leaders of culture, business, politics and industry.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I love Momo's facial expressions

And by that I mean his only one

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Did you figure it out? What turn does Otokojuko take after this?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DraconicImpulse posted:

Does it drop the gags? That's the feeling I'm getting from the episodes selected.

You are correct! For bonus points, what is the main theme of the show going forward?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8d36wQy9w

City Hunter
Ryo Saeba is a sweeper, code name XYZ of the City Hunter agency. A sweeper is someone who makes problems go away, whether it's by assassination, detective work or threat of violence. And he's the best in the business.

City Hunter is my favorite 80s show and in the running for my favorite show of all time. It's a very beautiful show. The way it contrasts the neon 80s fashion and lights of Harajuku with the blackness of night is wonderful. You'll notice that quick--85% of City Hunter takes place at night. Ryo Saeba, the main character, does not act like your average shonen protagonist. He has more in common with Lupin than with Seiya or Goku. You'll see the Lupin influence almost immediately.

Tonight at 7, we'll get our mokkori* chance.

(*Translator's note: Mokkori is onomatopoeia for popping a boner)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Just so you know, the guy voicing Ryo is the same guy who does Kenshiro

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5in0X-Ic_Rw

Cat's Eye

Every rich man fears them. A group of master thieves calling themselves Cat's Eye. Toshio Utsumi is tasked with taking them down, but is the threat closer to home than he ever imagined?

Cat's Eye is a sitcom set up. A master thief is dating the detective on her case. It goes beyond this, however, in the mind games aspect of the show. The thief knows that her fiance is looking for her, so she's able to plan ahead and gently caress with him. It's a bit empowering that way, the woman is fully in control of their relationship, and she can choose when and where he can best her, if he ever does. Unrelated, but this show has the best ED of any show ever, it's the vid above

Tonight at 7, we learn why it's important to be open and honest with your spouse.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

magic play is dancing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain Tsubasa

In this world, there are people born to play a sport. People with all the natural talent to do whatever they want on the field. In basketball, it's Lebron. In football, it's Cam Newton. In soccer, it's Tsubasa.

Captain Tsubasa is one of those shows/manga that for whatever reason become stupidly popular in Japan and nowhere else. Captain Tsubasa is a cultural touchstone, and the defining sports show of the 80s. I'm going to level with you, I do not like this show. To me, it is bland as bland can be. This is a pre-HnK shonen show, and you will immediately see why. Tsubasa has more in common with Tatsunoko super heroes than with the more modern looking and sounding characters that follow in HnK's wake.

Tonight at 7, we'll sail the seven seas and try to make our son's JV soccer game.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Saint Seiya

Many people want the cloth, mystical sets of armor created by Athena. Many would do anything for them. With a new tournament coming up for the Sagittarius Cloth, who will attain it? And just who is that purple haired woman anyway?

Saint Seiya has a different vibe from the rest of the shows we're going to watch. It's much more melodramatic than the rest of these shows. No other shonen show has the same serious, semi-mythical tone that Seiya has. That's the best word I can use to describe Seiya, mythical. Greek gods are everywhere in Seiya, and the show makes sure you understand their gravitas.

I mentioned that no shonen series has the same tone as Seiya. There is another series that comes close, and was directly inspired by it. Sailor Moon the manga is very similar to Seiya. The battles are structured in a similar fashion, and the sailor senshi even dress like female saints. Remember, this is Sailor Moon the manga, this show is more like Crystal than the old show.

Tonight at 7, we learn about the power of intercessory prayer.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Droyer posted:

This was pretty cool! I will admit i'm not a big fan of fight shonen in general, but I had fun with this. With that said though, much like cat's eye it feels like it's very formulaic and apparently it goes on for 100+ episodes so i'm not sure i wanna continue it.

This show changes trust me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kimagure Orange Road
A new town, a new school, a new life, a new love? When Kyosuke moves into a new house, he meets two girls, one mysterious and one brash. He feels a connection to both, but who will he choose?

Do you like shonen Rom-Coms? Well, this is one of the progenitors. This is as basic and primordial a shonen romance can be. There's a boy, he's new in town. He meets two girls. He likes them both, but he can only choose one. They have different looks and personalities. One is a mature, tall dark haired one and the other is a cute, childish, brown haired one. However, this show has one key difference from other shonen romances. I won't spoil what it is, but you'll know instantly, and it will come out of nowhere.

Special note: This show has (as far as I know) the first tsundere. This is where it all began!

Tonight at 7, we take the whimsical road paved orange.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A thing I mentioned in chat: This shows doesn't feel anime. I've seen dozens of shonen romance shows/manga, but this one feels more like a J-drama that just happens to be animated. It seems like its descendents ramped up KOR's formula and ran with it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

The only way I won't be streaming Touch tomorrow is by an act of god.

Even if you're turned off by sports I implore yall to at least give the first episode a shot. There's like less than a minute of baseball stuff in it and heck in general those early episodes focus more on the characters than the sport.

I'll write about this tomorrow

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Touch
Two brothers, Kazuya and Tatsuya love the same girl. Kazuya is the perfect student--perfect grades, star of the baseball team, a good head on his shoulders. Tatsuya is anything but that--lazy and always trying to cheat his way out of work. Will the lazy brother be able to get the girl, or will she end up with her perfect match?

Touch is a lot of things. It's a drama, a romance, a baseball show. One thing I see in it (but no one else does apparently) is a proto-slice of life story. It has everything a slice of life story has, a bare bones plot, a focus on characters, a lack of direction. While things do happen later in the series that make it more plot driven, the episodes leading up to that are real, honest to God slice of life. If you can recognize an earlier slice of life show, I'd appreciate it, because I consider this the first one.

Tonight at 7, we pitch our way into our childhood friend's heart.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I forgot to mention, but Touch is one of the biggest ratings draws in anime history. At its peak, it pulled 30s. This means that when Touch came on, 30% of all Japanese TVs were watching

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

Seriously

The gently caress is this.

Samoyed

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Urusei Yatsura: Only You
Who is this mysterious girl who has fallen from the sky? And why does she want to gently caress this loser?

You know what this is. This is Lum! It's hard to put into words how influential Urusei Yatsura is. Before Attack the Titan, before Boruto and all that poo poo, this was the normie show. This show and Hokuto no Ken are the reason why people like anime in the West. In Japan, this is the wellspring from which all shonen rom-coms flow. At this point, Lum isn't even an anime character, she's more like Hello Kitty and Doraemon.

Tonight at 7, we finally learn where all those avatars come from.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sorry for being late!

SPACE ADVENTURE COBRA

I wanna love somebody. I hear you need somebody to love.

Cobra owns. It's a show about cool things. If you thought the first episode of City Hunter is cool and just want that in space, you will like Cobra. Cobra to me is the last 70s show. This is the heir to Go Nagai and Lupin. The last titty master rides. Note: Cobra is spicy! Not safe for work.

Tonight at 7, I'm never gonna set you free.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 22, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12OBlcHx9E

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been sick for two weeks and I went to the doctor today so here's
[no one cares about kimengumi, no pics today, sorry]

High School! Kimengumi the Movie
It's summer and the Funny Face Club are trapped at school! What hijinks will the crew get up to this time?

I'm going to level with you, we're only watching this because Stop! Hibari-kun has garbage subs and I couldn't find the first three episodes of Dr. Slump subbed. We need a gag show and here we are. This is a big time gag manga from when gag manga was huge. It's a beloved favorite for 80s kids all over the Nippon, and I loving hate it. It just isn't funny to me. You might think it's funny though, so go ahead and watch

Tonight at 7, our looks are laughable, unphotographable, yet we're my favorite work of art.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dragonball
A fourteen year old girl, a boy with a tail, a desert bandit, a shape-shifting pig and a cat. What do they have in common? More importantly, what are they looking for?

It's Dragonball. You know what this is, right? It's the classic of the 80s, and the progenitor of the Western anime boom. If you have only seen DBZ, you'll be surprised how comedic this is and how low the stakes are. Why does Yamcha want the Dragon Balls? To find a wife. You'll also be surprised by how strong everyone is. Goku is strong, but Chaotsu could kick his rear end if he got a good punch in. What a breath of fresh air.

Tonight at 7, magic can happen to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You expected a write up before 7 pm, but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYwLYk_JPY

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE PART 1: PHANTOM BLOOD

Two men chosen by fate, one good, one evil. Their actions and decisions will reverberate forever. Who shall triumph in the end? Good or Evil?

This is the end. JoJo the anime is super 80s. Studio David did a great job making a faux 80s show. This is your homework. Watch this and notice the animation techniques and story beats. They're extremely 80s. Write me an essay about how they make this and what JoJo means to you

To be continued...

• Locked thread