Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I mean its not bad I just loving hate those idiot vehicle sections and the physics puzzles are not exactly stellar design

the ant lion prison and stuff owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the thing is hl1 doesn't really explain much and it's a closed circle (until you get zapped to xen). also sucks you're the chosen one now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
gently caress the haters, Half Life 1 owned and Half Life 2 owned just as much, though I'll admit I might be the only person alive who really liked the airboat sequence.

Plus you can stick SMod on HL2 and suddenly you're playing as the FEAR guy, slowing time and jumpkicking Combine in the face.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ahundredbux posted:

I mean its not bad I just loving hate those idiot vehicle sections and the physics puzzles are not exactly stellar design

the ant lion prison and stuff owns tho

Yeah HL2 was a mixed bagged but did have some pretty great set piece sequences.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Xaris posted:

Didn't you play for reflect? sounds familiar. But yeah i'd do the same because marines were the most fun and it was always a personal challenge to see how many I could take out just running into their hive at the start; except I also honestly just sucked at every alien besides lerk anyways. Used to be a pretty decent fade but I "upgraded" to an LCD and at the time LCDs loving sucked so yeah I couldn't really fade after that.

to be fair, marines were prolly a bit more overpowered too because everyone ran 24-32 player servers and marines got more exponentially powerful with player count (and 24-26 players was my favorite because it gave enough buffer when people start to quit that it didn't totally become an avalanche landslide into server depletion)

gorge was the most fun for me just shuffling around on large maps building up defenses and webbing up the area

lerk sniping was also entertaining

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Being a piss-ant skulk was the most fun. loving with new marines making an homage to Alien or some poo poo. Silence and Cloaking, best skills.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yes the cloaked chuckling

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Half Life 1 owned and Half Life 2 owned just as much

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can accept someone enjoying hl2 but it did not "own" anywhere near as much as the first game.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what's a good smod to download?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cry Havoc posted:

gorge was the most fun for me just shuffling around on large maps building up defenses and webbing up the area

Gorge belly slide was one thing they did right in ns2 imo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tim Peters posted:

Neither do I. I went by IrishOrphan. I was a moderator on the official forums and an idiotic 16 year old troll. Embarrassing.

There are tons of S&I people on SA.

I play Elite Dangerous with GuyOnTheCouch.

SMDM forever :ssh:

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

TTerrible posted:

There are tons of S&I people on SA.

I play Elite Dangerous with GuyOnTheCouch.

SMDM forever :ssh:

Oh hello! I spend time feeding my auti- artistic needs with helping maintain and update Science and Industry for the past couple of years and as a player, server operator, occasional jackass since 2000. Everyone that's interested should check out the latest version at http://scienceandindustrygame.com. Keep in mind if you played 15 years ago the game might be different! Games are still played on Sunday 2pm cst, sometimes during the week.

IKM 4 lyfe :bahgawd:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ColoradoCleric posted:

what's a good smod to download?

I like Redux.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnFjTG9J-T8&t=876s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Who was that guy that made a series of levels for Half Life (at least I think it was Half Life) that had gigantic, sprawling secret areas which required extensive platforming to complete? And all the maps together told a story that culminated in finding some sort of Lovecraftian elder god. That poo poo was wild.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Mordja posted:

Who was that guy that made a series of levels for Half Life (at least I think it was Half Life) that had gigantic, sprawling secret areas which required extensive platforming to complete? And all the maps together told a story that culminated in finding some sort of Lovecraftian elder god. That poo poo was wild.

I think you mean Hondos maps for Action Half-Life.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tf2 and hl2 are better then the originals, deal with it

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Luebbi posted:

I think you mean Hondos maps for Action Half-Life.

Yeah, those were Hondo's, It's still uncertain whether anyone has ever managed to finish his 5AM map, apparently you can't even decompile the maps as it crashes any editor.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

firearms mod best mod

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I really liked that Zombie Master mod where it was a bunch of players versus one observer player who could go all over the map and spawn different types of zombies, and also activate traps. Some of the maps were serious and had a basic plot, but others were really silly, like the Tetris ones that were just a giant Tetris game you had to get to the end of without getting crushed by Tetris blocks that the ZM would spawn.

Hidden: Source was also the poo poo. Too bad that both of these mods are dead now. Actually maybe not, it's been a few years since I tried to play them.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

Yeah, those were Hondo's, It's still uncertain whether anyone has ever managed to finish his 5AM map, apparently you can't even decompile the maps as it crashes any editor.
A goon finished it some years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmgxwwXUVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8pXV41H2m8

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

man the absolute worst poo poo pre-2.0 was where you were pretty much limited to 2 gorges max, and god loving help you if you died before the second hive went up. also the cool dudes who would be one of the 2 gorges and not build anything and use it solely to pool resources for fade/onos

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish someone would make a sequel to natural selection...

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

there was also a cool western mod which had a huge 1-shot rifle which sent the corpse of anyone hit flying to the other end of the map

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016

The Brown Menace posted:

there was also a cool western mod which had a huge 1-shot rifle which sent the corpse of anyone hit flying to the other end of the map

Fistful of Frags, possibly? It always made me laugh that the Indians had the same voice as the white people but with a lowered pitch

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Captain Video posted:

Fistful of Frags, possibly? It always made me laugh that the Indians had the same voice as the white people but with a lowered pitch

dont remember the name but i dont think that was it

also battle grounds was cool

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FOR KING AND COUNTRY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish someone would make a sequel to natural selection...

same.. i heard down the grapevine that they were making NS2 but it got cancelled and lost in the void somewhere after flayra and max ran off to mexico together with all their angel investment money. maybe someday we'll get NS2 :smith:

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

I got curious and installed NS. There are only 6 servers left. All of them were empty and 2 were bot 'training' servers.

NS2 got a lot wrong, but they did a good job with skulk movement. That being said, the early game doesn't last long enough for that to matter.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

The Brown Menace posted:

oh drat, I think I know which one you're talking about but no way in hell can I remember what it was called. I feel like it came prebundled with CS or something because I don't recall downloading it

edit: wanted! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Fl4i5GCQM

AF fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 23, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone who knows how these things work should set up a goon sven co-op server so we can do all the insane maps and the resident evil ones

i still never understood how toon world worked despite completing it a bunch of times

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

gently caress the haters, Half Life 1 owned and Half Life 2 owned just as much, though I'll admit I might be the only person alive who really liked the airboat sequence.

Plus you can stick SMod on HL2 and suddenly you're playing as the FEAR guy, slowing time and jumpkicking Combine in the face.

I thought the latest updates to HL2 completely broke SMOD comparability?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What was the name of those weird puzzle maps for Sven coop.

I don'tthink they had any combat, mostly weird platforming and there was even one that was an amusement park

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ahundredbux posted:

What was the name of those weird puzzle maps for Sven coop.

I don'tthink they had any combat, mostly weird platforming and there was even one that was an amusement park

i remember someone made the entire? first resident evil game in it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Of course they did

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Sven coop owns

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it really was the best.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I was a beta tester for Desert Crisis (used to go by JunkyardDog until I shortened it, in case anyone from those days is still reading this) and hung out in their IRC channel for years until they all eventually left to get industry jobs. The reason the mod has that name despite the vast majority of it not taking place in a desert is because one of the members went ahead and registered the domain name without making sure everyone was on board with that title, and then they were stuck with it. Their leader was LPlasma who used to be a modeller for Action Half-Life. He and co-lead Spongerock were... intense, for lack of a better word. Very hung up on their own egos and there was some bad blood between them and the Science & Industry team for a while. LPlasma works for Bethesda last time I talked to him and he's calmed down a lot since the DC days. Spongerock has remained a total rear end in a top hat though from what I've gathered from catching up with past members. Not to say there weren't good times, I had a loving blast playing that mod and contributing where I could. Shout-outs to Holamundo, Junubee, percolator_fish and Soul Escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Junk posted:

there was some bad blood between them and the Science & Industry team for a while.

I do not remember this?

• Locked thread