Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe
Re-implementing an API is absolutely fair use (they shouldn't be copyrightable to begin with but that dumbass ship has sailed) and you have to be a giant idiot to think otherwise.

Or wait I guess all VMs everywhere are now infringing, better tell the virtualization/emulation market that it's over.

Probs time to sue Microsoft for 35 years or whatever of MS-DOS being compatible with some CP/M function calls.

Seriously shocked to see anyone defending Oracle. Google might be a lovely company but good god this was a dumb lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Saikonate posted:

Re-implementing an API is absolutely fair use (they shouldn't be copyrightable to begin with but that dumbass ship has sailed) and you have to be a giant idiot to think otherwise.

Or wait I guess all VMs everywhere are now infringing, better tell the virtualization/emulation market that it's over.

Probs time to sue Microsoft for 35 years or whatever of MS-DOS being compatible with some CP/M function calls.

Seriously shocked to see anyone defending Oracle. Google might be a lovely company but good god this was a dumb lawsuit.

Looking at C# the standard lib is explicitly part of the Ecma spec.

Also some calls is not blatantly copying the whole api of 37 libraries.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

eagerly awaiting to see your take on java.lang.ClassLoader

I thjnk this might already have happened?!

while everyone was distracted by oracle-vs-google Microsoft made a deal with canonical and now you have the Linux kernel syscall api (or ABI) implemented on windows without needing to run the Linux kernel

so unmodified binaries can run against this api and your proprietary modifications can be compiled against a C API extracted from microsoft's implementation of the syscalls. so your code isn't derived from GPL code or if it is it's fair use anyway according to this lawsuit

fair use is decided on a case by case basis. the jury didn't explain their reasoning so you have to gamble on the lawsuit

if oracle wins on appeal for fair use then microsoft will need to comply with the gpl on that sys call api or be violating copyright :getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Saikonate posted:

You cannot use copyrighted material (in this case an API) for commercial use without permission. The jury got it wrong here, but it will probably be fixed on appeals.

The most important parts of this thing (APIs being copyrightable and the fact that goog infringed) have already been established. wrt hypervisors and emulation it would depend on if they claim copyrights on the APIs AND if the copyrights hold up in court. They also could be granted licenses for those copyrights thru various deals and partnerships.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

You cannot use copyrighted material (in this case an API) for commercial use without permission.

you can, it depends on whether or not the work is transformative.

if we go by Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music the jury clearly thought that dalvik is a parody of java. i think you'll agree with that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heh. in the end they didn't do anything transformative to the api, they just straight up and knowingly copied it with the express intent of making it easy for existing java devs to understand.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shaggar posted:

heh. in the end they didn't do anything transformative to the api, they just straight up and knowingly copied it with the express intent of making it easy for existing java devs to understand.

that's not why. they did it for code re-use

they also sampled it, to use the musical terminology

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
maybe the jury knew that deciding it for goog would inevitably lead to an appeal, and decided to do so in an attempt to punish the lawyers

because from the snippets i gleaned from this thread it sounds like those lawyers need to be punished

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
punishing the lawyers by making them do their job because they were doing their job. punishment fits the crime

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
If the lawyers are getting paid by the hour, maybe it's a ploy to drag out their employment.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

If the lawyers are getting paid by the hour, maybe it's a ploy to drag out their employment.

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

maybe the jury knew that deciding it for goog would inevitably lead to an appeal, and decided to do so in an attempt to punish the lawyers

because from the snippets i gleaned from this thread it sounds like those lawyers need to be punished

punish the lawyers by giving them thousands more in billable hours on the appeal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i mean sure some associates are getting punished, but the head lawyers are playing golf while depositing checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if some snotnose associate told me i had to review a billion lines of code using notepad whilst trawling through dozens of layers of file folders, yeah i got no problem making his life poo poo. his boss got rich either way.

• Locked thread