Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

your honor, we submit in to evidence the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shaggar posted:

they litterrally thought "its better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission" was a viable legal strategy.

didn't foresee larry fuckin ellison coming onto the scene did ya, shittards? and larry is no one's bitch. he wants another hawaiian island thanks for offering to pick up the tab, morons

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

u see what happens larry

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

triple sulk posted:

LARRY : U SEE WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Automated systems often betray the biases and shortcomings of their creators. "Check to see if the final draft is privileged before slurping up the earlier drafts for evidence submission? Nahh... they don't even have addresses in them!"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/xor/status/732630055013089280

Is there anything weird from a legal standpoint here?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MononcQc posted:

have to imagine that depends entirely on the coaching, can't really expect witnesses to be kept in complete darkness for the trial

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

doesn't seem like it to me, but I'm no expert. the only thing they're ruling on is fair use, and Google doesn't really have a valid argument.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Reinhold just got dunked on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/xor/status/732630055013089280

it makes the witness look bad to the jury but that's about it. as long as they haven't been coached to lie I doubt theres a problem legally.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Google should use a parody defense i.e. android is a parody of Java

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Google should use a parody defense i.e. android is a parody of Java

*dalvik

also lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
even that lovely defense falls apart because they were explicitly marketing it as java though

lomarf

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Despite what the armchair lawyers in this thread are saying it clearly can't be cut and dried or else the case would have been resolved with the first trial.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

power botton posted:

Despite what the armchair lawyers in this thread are saying it clearly can't be cut and dried or else the case would have been resolved with the first trial.
what number is this even up to now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we were always at war with eurasia

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

power botton posted:

the first jury couldn't decide fair use because the court ruled they didn't have copyright protection. they only reason the appellate court did not rule in oracles favor on fair use was a few issues of fact remained that need to be tried at a lower court. The appellate order actually listed the specific items for Google to demonstrate and they failed to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

google's only hope from the start was to get the copyrights ruled invalid. they failed and they haven't presented a case (because they don't have one) for fair use.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Ianal and all that, but shouldn't fair use work be transformative? Like a parody? How can what goog has done be that when their express purpose is to provide an identical experience for devs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it doesn't have to be transformative, but that can be covered under fair use. for example, if goog created their own runtime libs that didn't take any APIs from java se, but they used the java language then they might have been ok.

The problem is they're undeniably trading on parts of the java se API for which oracle owns a copyright. unless the jury is idiots (which is possible) goog is hosed.

If they had negotiated a license w/ sun way back when they first started, they would have probably been fine even if it wasn't a 100% implementation of java SE. they thought sun was a bunch of pussies and they may have been right, but lmao larry aint gonna let any poo poo slide.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

will this take android off the market? we can only hope.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably not but it will add to the list of people who make more money on android than goog.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
larry you rat. how could you give me the ol spicy software

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I bet sun would have given them the license for free lol.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Sun were cool guys who wore birkenstocks and drank kombucha. Oracle are hard fuckers who wear tie bars and drink battery acid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oracle exposed government corruption in Oregon and got a governor fired over it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shaggar posted:

i forget what the number was but it was basically free for someone like google. less than $200k iirc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

oracle exposed government corruption in Oregon and got a governor fired over it.
no, shaggar, he was fired because of his wife's indiscretion. oracle probably wasn't even involved in that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zokie posted:

Ianal and all that, but shouldn't fair use work be transformative? Like a parody? How can what goog has done be that when their express purpose is to provide an identical experience for devs?

the argument i think most would make is that it is fair use de minimis; reimplementing some fragment of the api of a large work may not be considered really infringing on the large work, simply because it is too minor

note that that precise direction is what limits a lot of the reductionist nerd arguments (if apis are copyrightable then i'll take "int main()" for myself lolz0rs!), but google may have taken too much for that argument to fly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

no, shaggar, he was fired because of his wife's indiscretion. oracle probably wasn't even involved in that.

he was fired for corruption that was exposed by oracle. the replacement governor tried to cover it all up and keep oracle's suits from leaving the state and going to a non-biased judiciary.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shaggar posted:

all they exposed were some colossally lovely contract negotiators

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

would it have been better for Google if they named the infringing packages like dalvik.lang.String instead of java.lang.String. or would that be covered by trademark?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

he was fired for corruption that was exposed by oracle. the replacement governor tried to cover it all up and keep oracle's suits from leaving the state and going to a non-biased judiciary.
if you want to argue about it make a new thread

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ludwig van Halen posted:

would it have been better for Google if they named the infringing packages like dalvik.lang.String instead of java.lang.String. or would that be covered by trademark?

probably not since 'string' has been comp sci. nomenclature since forever so there's a poo poo load of prior art. same goes for 'lang' which is even more generic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

that would definitely have been better as long as it wasn't entirely just search and replace java -> dalvik. the reason they didn't do that is because the whole point of using java was to gain all the advantages of the standard lib and the code already built on top of it. its pretty much the exact opposite of fair use.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

err I mean like instead of copying and pasting the declaring code from sun/oracle and using the Java name in their packages. if they had changed the names slightly would it still be copyright infringement? like if they have the same String.compareTo method, but with a different package name

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be like if you started a company that rebroadcasted popular copyrighted tv (like NFL games), but over the internet. your business only has value to customers because of the 3rd party copyrighted material.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

that would definitely have been better as long as it wasn't entirely just search and replace java -> dalvik. the reason they didn't do that is because the whole point of using java was to gain all the advantages of the standard lib and the code already built on top of it. its pretty much the exact opposite of fair use.

yeah this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

android should have partnered with ms and used .net instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

err I mean like instead of copying and pasting the declaring code from sun/oracle and using the Java name in their packages. if they had changed the names slightly would it still be copyright infringement? like if they have the same String.compareTo method, but with a different package name

yeah idk how much of a change they'd need to do. any change at all would give them a stronger bargaining position cause it would be harder for oracle to prove that an incompatible dalvik java api is a copy of java se's api.

• Locked thread