Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I thinks shaggar was right and the jury sided with the company they were familiar with because Google didn't even make a case for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

triple sulk posted:

gently caress google

this, but also we got The Good Outcome

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quiggy posted:

lol it's not the good outcome at all

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

gently caress oracle

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I thinks shaggar was right and the jury sided with the company they were familiar with because Google didn't even make a case for themselves

i agree. this won't last on appeal

quiggy posted:

this isn't a good outcome and will be overturned.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

triple sulk posted:

lol it's not the good outcome at all

explain yourself

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

jury found fair use. i think it's overturned on appeal.

but this is a finding of fact? isn't the best case for oracle that the jury instructions were wrong and they get ANOTHER trial on fair use?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quiggy posted:

explain yourself

it flies in the face of all extant copyright laws. google's infringement doesn't actually fall under the provided provisions of fair use.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quiggy posted:

explain yourself

Designing non-trivial APIs is extremely difficult

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

but this is a finding of fact? isn't the best case for oracle that the jury instructions were wrong and they get ANOTHER trial on fair use?

no, the appellate court can overturn the finding of fair use. there won't be another jury trial.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Or, amusingly, very aware of oracle (and how they operate).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

well there might be another trial regarding damages to award.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Award them damages for future lawsuits incase they may instigate them, like their per-core policy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

well there might be another trial regarding damages to award.

then maybe the jury will go full USAFL and award them $1

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/735928131253469184

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao victory by brand loyalty

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was a total shitfest and should never have been a jury trial. goog managed to confuse the poo poo out of the entire issue because the API was already declared copyrighted and goog was already declared to have used it, and this case was about if it was fair use. theres absolutely no case for googs use being fair use.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the verdict its seriously hosed up

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

it was a total shitfest and should never have been a jury trial. goog managed to confuse the poo poo out of the entire issue because the API was already declared copyrighted and goog was already declared to have used it, and this case was about if it was fair use. theres absolutely no case for googs use being fair use.

Shaggar posted:

the verdict its seriously hosed up

:agreed:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

lmao victory by brand loyalty

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the jury instructions said java was free at the time, so the jury just figured google's use of it is fair

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well I guess I'm OK with this for now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it was a combo of brand loyalty and jurors not understanding java was free to use, but not to distribute modified copies. Microsoft got sued for the exact same thing by sun back then. theres litterrally no defense for fair use.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah but Larry doesn't get nine billion dollars now

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

u see what happens larry

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so who is the better tech ceo? larry or larry?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me: if Oracle won would that mean Oracle would have the right to go after anyone who used Java's API? If they're able to copyright Java.lang is it right to assume any app that has used Java could be charged for not using it in fair use?

Or did google make their own language based off of Java and try to license that code without Java's consent?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nude posted:

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me: if Oracle won would that mean Oracle would have the right to go after anyone who used Java's API? If they're able to copyright Java.lang is it right to assume any app that has used Java could be charged for not using it in fair use?

Or did google make their own language based off of Java and try to license that code without Java's consent?

the second

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Nude posted:

the second one.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oracle can't charge programmers for using java.lang despite holding the copyright because they already granted a general license for programmers to use it for free. no take-backs

they however did not grant a license for programmers to incorporate java.lang into their own sdk. but now the jury has found that it's fair use to do so anyway, so welp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nude posted:

google built their language based off of java without java's consent with full knowledge they needed to get a license and didn't.

Sun/Oracle has already successfully sued people in the past for improper or unlicensed implementations of the Java API. Most notably: Microsoft. Existing implementations likely already have licensing agreements with Oracle or they are full implementations. Also the java language itself is not copyrighted so if someone built their own VM and standard lib in java there would be no contest. But instead of doing that, oracle specifically chose to implement parts of the Sun/Oracle copyrighted API.

In the past cases on this it was already ruled that goog definitely copied the java standard lib APIs and that oracle could copyright those apis. Those were the important cases. This one was about fair use which should have been a no brainer that "no it was definitely not fair use", but this jury was dumb as poo poo and the judge let things get out of hand.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

fair use, a way for individuals to use copyrighted material for educational and non commercial use, now allows mega corporations to steal from each other with impunity and make billions doing it

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
on the one hand lol gently caress copyright but on the other hand srsly gently caress google :shrug:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

fair use, a way for individuals to use copyrighted material for educational and non commercial use, now allows mega corporations to steal from each other with impunity and make billions doing it

The logical extension of "corporations are people".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vodkat posted:

on the one hand lol gently caress copyright but on the other hand srsly gently caress google :shrug:
and on the other hand gently caress oracle

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i hope you're all ready for season 3, this isn't going to end soon!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

and on the other hand gently caress oracle

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stymie posted:

somewhere in a mock japanese village a man is crushing a delicate tea cup in his bare hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nude posted:

ok i'm seeing this opinion pop up everywhere and it's real frustrating: why the gently caress would oracle sue people for using their own language that they're trying to get everyone to use??

• Locked thread