Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone who can help me figure out how to get this drat gas cap off will be forever my friend. It looks like this:

And apparently the underside:

If I turn the key to unlock, the cap will just happily spin counterclockwise forever, clicking gently once or twice a revolution.
Our van's gas cap does that unless you hold the cap in place and turn the key as far as it could possibly go and then, while holding the key against its farthest turnable point, unscrew the gas cap. We need to replace it with something that doesn't lock to avoid the problem you've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, try turning/jiggling the key as you turn it and maybe pushing down on it. If you still can't get it off it might be hosed.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Drill bits, anger, and alcohol.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

trouser chili posted:

Drill bits, anger, and alcohol.

That's the backup plan. Do you just drill straight into the keyhole? Once the lock is drilled out, can the gas cap still function as a non-locking gas cap or do I need to hit up Rockauto? (which has let me down before, when I ordered a Stant gas cap for my Studebaker and it didn't fit at all)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's the backup plan. Do you just drill straight into the keyhole? Once the lock is drilled out, can the gas cap still function as a non-locking gas cap or do I need to hit up Rockauto? (which has let me down before, when I ordered a Stant gas cap for my Studebaker and it didn't fit at all)

I don't have any experience with drilling out locking gas caps, just the anger and alcohol, but yeah that's how I'd go at it. Drill the lock cylinder, progressively with larger bits as needed. Coat the bits in heavy grease to catch the filings that you can, but the fuel filter should prevent any that go down the filler from loving things up badly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just buy a new gas cap man. There are places other than Rock-Auto if you don't like them.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

slidebite posted:

Just buy a new gas cap man. There are places other than Rock-Auto if you don't like them.

Yeah, just go to the nearest gas station and tell them you think you lost your cap there. They'll have a box to choose from.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

New battery acquired.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I would disconnect the fuel filler neck to help prevent the shavings issue. And with a lock just drill out the whole section the key goes in. Also a big pair of channel locks on the gas cap and just give it a wrench.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought a new battery on the way home from work. Also picked up my friend's tiny little air compressor to blow away spiders. When I hooked up the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktiHIfYR-M

Turns out disabling the fuel pump is really easy--there's a big connector under the carpet inside, you just unplug it.

After disabling the fuel pump and the spark, I did a compression test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kh6tgp3iJQ

All cylinders were over 140 (the 120 in the video was just because I didn't crank long enough, last test I did was a little 4 cylinder that went faster)

Next up, I think I'll drill out the fuel cap (unless my friend can figure out how to get it off), then see about draining the fuel tank. I printed out the pages of the manual related to that and it seems quite easy. At the very least I'd like to remove the "fuel tank gauge unit" (see http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1982/1982%20280zx%20FSM/fe.pdf) and make sure the filter's clean etc., try to siphon out the old gas.

I ordered distributor cap & rotor and an oil filter, which arrived today, plus 5 quarts of oil and a spark plug kit, which should arrive tomorrow. Plugs are cheaper at Autozone so I'll just pick some up there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have advance tidings that the record player has been reported as working

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i have advance tidings that the record player has been reported as working

It's true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-megleuUHFY

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:chanpop:

Who needs fancy computin machines if a tiny record player can do the job.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fuel pump status: she's chooched, boys.

12v at the harness connector, but pump doesn't pump. We pulled it off, set it in a bucket for closer observation, and reconnected it, not a sound. At least they're not too expensive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably gummed up. There's band aid stuff you can do but I'd just replace it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We removed the fuel pump last night. This afternoon I walked out to find a nice present under the car:

The line between the tank and the fuel pump had either siphoned fuel out, or just allowed it to flow as the day heated up. I disconnected the hose at the tank side this time and hopefully no more comes out. Just realized I should probably crack the hatch open until we pull the tank lest we fill the car with stanky gas fumes.

In better news, it took basically no drilling at all to get the cap off:

Locking gas caps: good protection against gas theft unless your adversary has a cordless drill and an extra 10 seconds.

The cap seems to work just fine now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We dropped the fuel tank and drained the nasty old gas.

Something plastic on the end of the fuel return line dissolved into crumbly crud, but there are partitions in the gas tank that have it segregated from the pickup filter. Otherwise the tank is very clean. Trying to figure out how to get that poo poo out through the smallish access hole on top.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxdFwCU1OE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

We dropped the fuel tank and drained the nasty old gas.

Something plastic on the end of the fuel return line dissolved into crumbly crud, but there are partitions in the gas tank that have it segregated from the pickup filter. Otherwise the tank is very clean. Trying to figure out how to get that poo poo out through the smallish access hole on top.

Got an air compressor?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Got an air compressor?

After looking more we found it filling the return tube and the bottom of the intake filter. My friend suspects dirty gas, we think this may be what killed the fuel pump. I'm a little worried at the return being full of gunk... Where did it come from? Pics coming soon.

Edit: this is the very bottom of the fuel return line in the tank. We had to cut the last 1/2 inch off in order to clean out the rest. A bunch of gunk like this was piled up below it on the bottom of the tank but we scooped it out. It's sort of a soft, sticky, gooey substance, softens/dissolves in throttle body cleaner.

And here's the fuel intake filter. It has a thick layer of the same poo poo at the bottom.

We're going to be double careful about checking the rest of the fuel system, and will put fresh rubber fuel line throughout.

I'm going to try and find a replacement for that intake screen, if I can't find one I guess I'll just put an inline filter just before the fuel pump.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 22, 2016

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This car is an excellent candidate to gut completely, I suggest you do so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm trying to talk him into Smokey Yunicking the fuel lines and just replacing with 1" or something "yeah i get 450 miles to 'a tank'"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Replace every fluid and rubber line/hose in that car. Fuel, vacuum, brakes. After you change the oil & filter and fuel filter, do the filters again a week later. Remember standard old school brake fluid is hygroscopic so there is a real chance the steel tubing used in the lines need to be done too.

Also, in case you didn't know the oil filter is a standard old school Ford V8 filter from something like the 60s to the 90s.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I ran out and took a quick check at the fuel hardlines on the engine end. No sign of gunk when I ran a pipe cleaner into these:

So I have high hopes that the clogging is limited to the tank end. Next time my friend's over, we'll blast air through and try to feel it at the other end, and spray throttle body cleaner down the lines to try and clean poo poo up a little.

Now, a question. The diagram above shows lines 18, 17, and 16. It labels them as such:

• 16: feed tube
  • 17: evapo tube
  • 18: return tube

Now, it seems to me that 17 and 18 are switched--evapo tube goes to the vapor canister, return tube comes back from the EFI system. Simple mis-labeling, or am I fundamentally mis-understanding the entire fuel system?

(Diagram source: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1982/1982%20280zx%20FSM/fe.pdf)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Replace every fluid and rubber line/hose in that car. Fuel, vacuum, brakes. After you change the oil & filter and fuel filter, do the filters again a week later. Remember standard old school brake fluid is hygroscopic so there is a real chance the steel tubing used in the lines need to be done too.

Also, in case you didn't know the oil filter is a standard old school Ford V8 filter from something like the 60s to the 90s.

My able assistant asked why I was buying the cheapest possible 10W30 oil, I told him I planned to do exactly that. As for rubber lines, my plan is to grab representative samples of each size of hose, note down approximately how many feet I'll need, and head to O'Reilly to match up replacements.

After this gunky tank nonsense I'm planning on putting a fuel filter before the fuel pump as well.

How do I check the steel brake tubing for goodness?

At some point I'll also need to figure out why the clutch pedal stays on the floor when you push it down. There's fluid in the master cylinder, but I haven't gone poking around to find the return spring. Goddamn the manuals on nicoclub are handy, though: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1982/1982%20280zx%20FSM/cl.pdf

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Out of curiosity would it help to put some extra detergent, like those oil system flush additives, in the first filling of oil to get more gunk out?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Make sure when you replace fuel hose you replace it with fuel hose.

One of my dad's coworkers' kids died that way. Hell of a way to go. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pham Nuwen posted:

How do I check the steel brake tubing for goodness?

See if there are any holes :v:

Disconnect some, see if you have any rusty looking fluid dripping out of it.

e:

quote:

After this gunky tank nonsense I'm planning on putting a fuel filter before the fuel pump as well.
Probably goes without saying, but if you do this and go with just a standard cheapo inline filter, be sure you put it on the low pressure side.

\/ Yeah, when you bleed the brakes you'll probably find if it leaks. \/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 22, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

See if there are any holes :v:

Disconnect some, see if you have any rusty looking fluid dripping out of it.

IMO, just flush out the old stuff, evaluate the color of the stuff that comes out, and do the test where you stomp on the brakes as hard as you can repeatedly (while not moving) to make sure nothing's fucky. Maybe visually check everything after this test to make sure all the fluid is on the inside.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are all fuel check valves equivalent, hose diameters aside?

Really hoping the fuel pressure regulator and the damper are ok. I can't find the damper in stock anywhere, and the pressure regulator is $63 on Rockauto.

Edit: looks like my fuel tank was made October 29 of the 56th year of the Showa period, aka Oct 29 1982.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: looks like my fuel tank was made October 29 of the 56th year of the Showa period, aka Oct 29 1982.

No idea about the check valve, but surprised it isn't a 1983 model year if it was built that late in 82.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Big pile of fuel lines I pulled out:

Tank -> fuel pump, fuel pump -> hard line, hard line -> fuel filter, fuel filter -> manifold.

Manifold return -> hard line, hard line -> tank

Vapor canister hardline -> fuel filter -> hardline, hardline -> gas tank

Filler tube vent -> gas tank.

loving hell. Gonna go plop this all on the O'Reilly countertop tomorrow and ask for some matching replacements.

Fake edit: gotta remember to check out that fuel check valve (small black cylinder with white ring around it near bottom left) and the fuel damper (dirty thing just below the fuel filter) to see if they're hosed or not. I'm hoping not because I'm not sure where to source replacements.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Don't do that for all sorts of reasons. Just size it yourself and buy a big enough roll and bunch of hose clamps.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Showa 56 would be actually 1981. Source.

1982 model year production was 8/81 through 8/82, so that's very likely the original tank.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 25, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Showa 56 would be actually 1981. Source.

1982 model year production was 8/81 through 8/82, so that's very likely the original tank.

poo poo, my math was off.

By the way, no sign of that nasty gunky poo poo anywhere else in the fuel system.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought it was 1982 too until I looked up a calendar. :downs:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Don't do that for all sorts of reasons. Just size it yourself and buy a big enough roll and bunch of hose clamps.

I need a couple feet each of at least 3 different sized hoses. I'm also trying to figure out why the lines at the rear have that mesh outer coating... is it to prevent the line from breaking if a rock gets kicked up?

I'll probably buy a roll of vacuum line, though, since it seems to be the same size in most places. Edit: a roll of vacuum line to replace vacuum lines, not fuel lines, c'mon people.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 25, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Vacuum line is not rated to carry fuel so unless your goal is to die in a firey wreck u recommend against that

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that's specifically what I was warning about here:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Make sure when you replace fuel hose you replace it with fuel hose.

One of my dad's coworkers' kids died that way. Hell of a way to go. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rscott posted:

Vacuum line is not rated to carry fuel so unless your goal is to die in a firey wreck u recommend against that

No, no, that's not what I meant.

I meant that I also need to replace vacuum lines, and all the vacuum lines seem to be the same size, so I'll just buy a whole roll for that task.

Not using vacuum line for fuel.

• Locked thread