Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

Looks like you've got room for a nut splitter.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/oe...CFUFkhgodRVEOzQ

Maybe... It's pretty small clearance on the opposite side of the nut, so I may be looking at grinding down the nut splitter to fit it on. I bought a propane torch and some vise grips (dunno what happened to my old ones) so I'm going to try that, although in my experience vise grips tend to slip just when you think you've got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend
Dec 31, 2012
A die grinder or a dremel could probably get in there too, though a dremel would take a while. Take the head off the bolt if you cant get the nut off.
Don't know if you have a welder or not, but you might be able to mig a piece of bar stock to the nut for leverage too, the heat'd go a long way to breaking it free if you can.

bend fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you can't get it off with a splitter or heat cut or grind it.

If you use heat be careful you don't get the pinion seal too hot. Bring a spray bottle of water with you to keep it cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't hesitate to just cut the fucker off with an angle grinder.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Vice-Grips are essential for those of us living where rust eats cars so it's shocking to me that some people don't require them for every job.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am fascinated with how rust free the underside of that 34 year old datsun is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finally. I just went nuts on it with a dremel and eventually was able to use a chisel to turn it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good boy. Now drop the drat thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Good boy. Now drop the drat thing.

Gonna get my friend to come help drop it this weekend; according to google the transmission should only be about 70 lbs but I'd rather have some help.

I'm not in a huge rush to get it all done because I'm not gonna register it until January, when it no longer needs smog tests for registration. Still, I'd like to get the tranny fixed pretty soon so I can move on to fixing other crap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, it's not that heavy, but it is awkward underneath the car and a buddy is definitely the way to go. Not only because it's easier, it's also safer.

You are sure the front is jacked up enough for you to drag it out?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I had six months to do an LS swap into a vehicle that had a chevy small block and I thought I had plenty of time too

don't be me

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Yeah, it's not that heavy, but it is awkward underneath the car and a buddy is definitely the way to go. Not only because it's easier, it's also safer.

You are sure the front is jacked up enough for you to drag it out?

I've got the whole thing up on stands and I mean it feels pretty high but poo poo now I'm gonna have to measure it. Feels like I should be able to just drag it out near the rear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
measure twice, cuss once

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went out to measure clearance and discovered that I'm gonna need to do black widow abatement before I start work, there was definitely one in a web up near the front wheel. :gonk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ah, the rare 280ZX Spyder

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, the rare 280ZX Spyder

:drat:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went out to measure clearance and discovered that I'm gonna need to do black widow abatement before I start work, there was definitely one in a web up near the front wheel. :gonk:

A small propane torch does wonders for spider control. Works way better then any chemical I have ever used.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can't say I've ever seen a transmission that needed its own cat. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pulling the driveshaft was pretty quick and easy. The transmission wasn't bad either, but it took us at least 20 minutes to get one of the top bolts loose. That thing was drat near impossible to reach, it finally took my friend snaking his hand in from the top to align the wrench while I reached up from underneath to turn it.

It's actually pretty light, although I'm glad I had help getting it down. Turns out the car wasn't high enough to get it out but we were planning to take it off the stands anyway, so we just jacked up the rear and pulled it out before dropping the car.

Next up, I figure out a workbench, order the rebuild kit, and start tearing it apart. I'm thinking about a chunk of used cabinets from the Habitat for Humanity thrift store as a workbench, that would be a decent height and I'd get some storage too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

measure twice, cuss forever

I mean, it is a Nissan.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Old trannys sure do have some length to them. New ones definitely have more girth .

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Trying to decide on a rebuild kit. Here's the two best options imo:

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/transmission/manual/transmission-rebuild-kit-with-synchros-240z-280z-280zx.html

http://www.zcarsource.com/transmission-rebuild-kit-280z-280zx-76-83-5-speed-nonturbo-new_8_78010_197633.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm a mechanical engineer and the thought of opening up a tranny still scares me. lol.

Those kits seem really cheap. GL with the rebuild.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went with the one from zcardepot because it's a little cheaper and I couldn't see any reason to get the other.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is this the same?
http://www.americanpowertrainwareho...pickup-bk104ws/

Also, there should be a nut on the mainshaft which needs to be replaced when you take it apart.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Is this the same?
http://www.americanpowertrainwareho...pickup-bk104ws/

Also, there should be a nut on the mainshaft which needs to be replaced when you take it apart.

Yes, but Google turned up only warnings about American Powertrain Warehouse dot com, so I decided to steer clear. Parts never showed up, parts weren't as described, lovely customer service, etc.

Is the nut just a regular nut, or will I need to order it from a specialty shop? Can I get a replacement at a Fastenal?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a special nut and IIRC they made a LHT version as well. Not sure what an 82 would have but I assume it should still have a nut at least. It's a pretty fine thread and gets torqued up quite high.. I think close to 200 ft/lbs or something. If you have a Haynes (or whatever) manual it should mention it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The rebuild kit's here, there's no nut in there so I'll have to try and order it separate. Is this it? http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/20-1640

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We finally cracked open the transmission yesterday. Removing the rear extension wasn't a big deal:

But we're sort of stuck on separating the front part of the case from the adapter plate / all the gears 'n poo poo.

The manual at http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=280z/1982/1982%20280zx%20FSM/mt seems to suggest holding onto the output shaft and whacking the bell housing with a mallet; this caused the case and the adapter plate to separate by about 1/8" but no more.

As far as I can tell, we've done everything listed in the instructions. We pulled the release bearing and withdrawal lever, then removed the front cover and the main drive bearing shim & snap ring. Here's what it looks like inside now:

And here's the rear end:

Have we forgotten something? Do we just need to get rougher with it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh man, this is really going back, like early 90s going back. Sorry I can't remember specifics but I don't remember it being super difficult to pull apart.

However, your linked manual mentions pulling the snap ring off the bearing on step 4 of disassembly. It still looks like it's still on the outer race of the bearing in your photo.

Also, sorry I didn't reply to your earlier nut question. I was in Hawaii for most of September and didn't have regular internet access. Yes, that looks like the correct nut but I seem to recall some being LH and RH threads so just be sure yours matches your old one.

ee: There might be asbestos in that friction disc dust, so wear a mask if you're whacking it and hose it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 17, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Oh man, this is really going back, like early 90s going back. Sorry I can't remember specifics but I don't remember it being super difficult to pull apart.

However, your linked manual mentions pulling the snap ring off the bearing on step 4 of disassembly. It still looks like it's still on the outer race of the bearing in your photo.

Also, sorry I didn't reply to your earlier nut question. I was in Hawaii for most of September and didn't have regular internet access. Yes, that looks like the correct nut but I seem to recall some being LH and RH threads so just be sure yours matches your old one.

ee: There might be asbestos in that friction disc dust, so wear a mask if you're whacking it and hose it out.

So my friend said the same thing, but there was a smaller snap ring on the inside of the bearing too. The thing you highlighted doesn't appear to have holes for snap ring pliers, while the inner one did; how do you recommend removing it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is a bearing snap ring - it doesn't have holes/eyes in it like the kind you are thinking of. Get behind and under it with with a narrow flat head screw driver or something pry it up out of the groove and yank it out. Your new bearing should have come with one so you shouldn't have to worry about wrecking it. If you have a narrow set of needle nose pliers you might be able to spread it a little to help.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

So my friend said the same thing, but there was a smaller snap ring on the inside of the bearing too. The thing you highlighted doesn't appear to have holes for snap ring pliers, while the inner one did; how do you recommend removing it?

You can still use your snap ring pliers to take it out, just do it carefully.

Or:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

You can still use your snap ring pliers to take it out, just do it carefully.

Or:

Which you can get cheaper as the Williams version (who make the Snap-On one anyway)

Work good as piston ring expanders, too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's quite possibly the only snap ring like that in the entire car. Don't bother buying a pair of pliers just for it. Just work it and pry it out :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

Which you can get cheaper as the Williams version (who make the Snap-On one anyway)

It was the first one that came up in GIS. Do you know this for a fact? Genuine question, I'm not a snap-on fanboy in any way.

slidebite posted:

That's quite possibly the only snap ring like that in the entire car. Don't bother buying a pair of pliers just for it. Just work it and pry it out :)

You're advising against buying more tools??

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

It was the first one that came up in GIS. Do you know this for a fact? Genuine question, I'm not a snap-on fanboy in any way.

Actually, I'm a huge idiot. Williams makes some of Snap-On's stuff, but Armstrong makes the pliers I'm thinking of. Or, at least, they make some stuff for Snap-On and their pliers look to be the same to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XMYAEK

There's a good thread on this on GJ: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249851

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slavvy posted:

:lol:

Williams is part of the Snap-On industrial brands division and there is a ton of crossover.
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/30/home.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, my snap ring pliers spread it well enough to get a dental pick behind and pull it forward.

It's free!

Most of the gears look pretty good, the only visibly hosed up one is the reverse idler gear, shown here:

Is that why it kept popping out of reverse as soon as I'd let the clutch out?

Here's some more pics:

Some of the gears have little... grooves? On top of the teeth? You can sort of see them in these pics:

Here's some other random shots:

• Locked thread