Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grooves are normal. That reverse gear looks reasonable for the age of the car, if it's popping out I would imagine you have a problem with the detent or shift fork doodads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Moving on to the next step in the service manual, pulling the shift forks. I got 2 of the check plugs/springs/bearings out, but the 3rd bearing does not want to come out. I sprayed some PB Blaster in there and we'll see if that loosens it up at all.

You can see that smug gently caress down in the second hole:

After getting the check bearings out, I'm supposed to drive out these retaining pins before pulling the shift fork assembly apart:

What tool should I use for that? Just go buy a small punch set, or is there a specific tool I need to get?

I'm thinking maybe when I pull out the whole shift fork rod that may make the bearing come out easier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You need a set of roll pin punches.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hit up Harbor Freight, bought some, they did the trick. I'm sitting here reading up on the next section, wherein I'll be pulling all the gears off. That part is scary as fuuuuuck.

Shift forks are off:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's really really easy as long as you lay things out exactly the way they came off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It's really really easy as long as you lay things out exactly the way they came off.

Lay them out in the order you remove them, or try to lay them out in approximate relation to how they sit in the assembly? I lean toward the former.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's a pain in the butt, but take pics of every single step you take if you're really worried. Maybe mark the parts with grease pen before the pics too?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Watching you guys lay out this transmission's internals makes me want to faint I used to build transmissions .

You guys are doing a great job. But I don't even know because i haven't built a manual trans in 18 years because I have a different career now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Take your time, take pictures and you'll be fine.

Oh, yeah, don't gently caress up any gears with your pullers! :buddy:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah take 3x the pictures you think you'll need and you'll end up with just enough. Every time you pull/remove a part. Also, see if a microfiche is available, in case your picture doesn't quite show the parts you need.

It's also very helpful to observe the wear marks on things so everything goes back in the way it came out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, my drat gear puller is too big to get behind the bearing, so I'll have to see if O'Reilly has one for loan.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

God loving drat it:

I was just trying to pull the counter drive gear as described in Gears and Shafts - Main Drive and Counter Drive Gear - Step 7 of the FSM: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/1982/1982 280zx FSM/mt.pdf

Three little chips out of the gear, one where each arm of the puller was. Looks like I must have used the puller wrong.

I guess add one more gear I'll have to replace, in addition to the reverse idler gear.

I was talking to the guys at the O'Reilly, they said any Datsuns/Nissans that show up at the u-pull get picked clean within a day. They also said that if I can lay hands on an 89 240sx transmission, it should bolt right up, so there's that...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm trying to source replacement gears but they are like loving hen's teeth--it's easier to find a whole other transmission! I called Z Car Source and they said $1689 for an earlier model ZX 5-speed transmission, and that they don't sell gears.

I'm looking around for cheap parts cars, people who have transmissions to sell, etc. If anyone in CONUS knows somebody with a derelict 280ZX, ask them if they'll sell the tranny!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Iirc the transmission internals are pretty much the exact same for the maxima and pickup.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Which transmission is it? It says that there's 2 different 5-speeds online

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I remember correctly, the 280ZX and 300ZX Turbos used a type of BW T5.

So, not one of those.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Which transmission is it? It says that there's 2 different 5-speeds online

FS5W71B
http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=71-series_Transmission#71B

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just found this one on a datsun forum

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44775-s30-vs-s130-vs-z31-5spd-transmission-differences/ posted:

1.) Rebuild 5spd or source used 5spd? The '77/'78z and the first year '79 280zx and the '77/'78 620 truck 5 speeds are the same with identical gearing. The Maxima 5 speeds are the same gearing but with slight shifter changes.

2.) I'm guessing s130 5spds will bolt right up to the L28, what about from z31s? '79-'83 280zx non turbo 5 speeds will bolt right up to the earlier 280z motors, yes. Non turbo 71C 300zx 5 speeds can be modified to fit the inline L 6 motors but it involves swapping the front case half. The driveshaft may need shortened and the spline from the 300zx used.

So it looks like Datsun 620's, Datsun 810's, and 81-84 Maximas are your best bets for replacement transmission parts.

E: That's why you refresh before posting...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

found a guy with a transmission from an 83, which has the "good" ratios. He's in Phoenix and wants $600. He says it's out of a car with 150k but that he's pretty sure it's been rebuilt; he seems pretty well-known/respected in the zcar forums so I'm slightly more inclined to believe that than some rando from Craigslist. Looks like it comes with a clutch too.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of driving to Phoenix so I'm gonna look locally some more, but it seems like an option.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

$600 firm or is that what he's asking? Offer him $300 and see what he says. Unless he can prove it's rebuilt it's basically a 150K transmission. it's sort of too bad you already bought the rebuild kit because it might be fine and you could hopefully just drop it in.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Located a 280ZX Turbo's T5 transmission at a local salvage yard. Didn't ask if they also have the driveshaft, but it sounds like that should be generally a drop-in replacement?

As for the guy in Arizona, I haven't tried haggling with him, but you're right that $600 seems high. I told him I'm still looking locally and will get back to him.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The salvage yard here in town didn't have the driveshaft. I don't particularly want to convert to the T5 so I've kept looking.

Three separate people in Albuquerque have told me I need to contact a guy named Nelson about parts. I finally got his email address from the third guy, and he responded today saying he's out of town but will be back Tuesday, and that he's pretty sure he's got something that will work for me. Fingers crossed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, this thread has turned into a career for you. :(

Keep your eyes open for complete cars. If you can buy a trash-heap ZX for a parts car, go for it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

Oh god, this thread has turned into a career for you. :(

Keep your eyes open for complete cars. If you can buy a trash-heap ZX for a parts car, go for it.

There's one on Craigslist for $1000, including a spare L28, but I don't have space for a parts car. My garage and driveway are full.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Luckily most Datsuns I've met can be folded into a more compact package often by hand.

Just sweep away whatever falls out as you do.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's one on Craigslist for $1000, including a spare L28, but I don't have space for a parts car. My garage and driveway are full.

What about your lawn?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thebigcow posted:

What about your lawn?

The funny thing is, if I put it on the lawn I'd actually free up space in the driveway, because my wife would definitely take her car with her when she leaves me.

(Serious answer, the front yard has big rocks, giant planters, and some trees in it, and it looks pretty nice. There's room on the street in front of the house but I'm just really not interested in dealing with another vehicle right now)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Today I bought an 82-83 (close ratio) transmission from the local Z-car master. He had at least 10 cars in various states of disassembly around the shed, not counting his own beautiful 280ZX (black and tan interior, black paint, he says he takes it to track days which is awesome)

$250 for the transmission, and he says if it gives me trouble, bring it back and he'll give my money back.

I leave for Christmas on Thursday but when I get back in January, I'll start installing it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good stuff. A local guy like that can be a great help too if he is open to it. Sounds like things might be looking up a bit for you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Now that the holiday season is over, I placed an order for a clutch kit and output shaft seal. I figured since I've already got the transmission off, I'll just put on a new clutch while I'm in there. It was only $86 shipped from Rockauto for everything.

Made a major haul at Christmas which will come in handy for the project: a trolley jack and a really low-profile creeper which should let me get under the car more easily once I have it jacked up. Also got a briefcase-sized socket+wrench kit that I intend to keep in the car once I've got it driving.

Edit: The Datsun guy also said he can hook me up with a replacement for the driveshaft<->differential nut I had to cut off.

Edit 2: Today being the first day of 2017, my car is now 35 years old in the eyes of the New Mexico MVD and therefore can be registered without a smog test.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finally put the car back up on jack stands. Pulled the old clutch and did the toilet paper trick to get the old pilot bushing out. Put in a fresh output shaft seal on the new transmission. Removed the speedometer sending... thing... from the old transmission and I'm trying to figure out how to get it into the new one.

I'm planning to put the new clutch kit in tomorrow night. Then Tuesday is Valentines day, and Wednesday is a Reverend Horton Heat concert, but hopefully I'll get my friend over and install the transmission some time between Thursday and Sunday.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you are doing the clutch don't forget about resurfacing the flywheel.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

If you are doing the clutch don't forget about resurfacing the flywheel.

poo poo. I'll pull it tomorrow night and see if the shop down the street will do it cheap--they replaced a set of wheel bearing races for $20 a week ago so maybe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mother of gently caress these flywheel bolts are really torqued in there good. No impact wrench so I guess I'll have to try sticking a breaker bar on the front end of the engine to hold it still while I try and bust loose the bolts.

Then I'll have to figure out where I left my drat torque wrench before I can put it back on.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mother of gently caress these flywheel bolts are really torqued in there good. No impact wrench so I guess I'll have to try sticking a breaker bar on the front end of the engine to hold it still while I try and bust loose the bolts.

Then I'll have to figure out where I left my drat torque wrench before I can put it back on.

Yeah flywheel bolts and crank snout bolts are the times i am most thankful for having bap bap. Takes em right off without spinning the whole motor; doing it with a breaker bar and something wedged into the other end of the motor sucks by comparison.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah you really should use an impact. I would try wedging a prybar or something off the starter ring gear teeth on the flywheel though instead of the front of the motor.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 14, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My friend dropped by, with his help and a breaker bar on the front end of the motor it came off really easily. Might need his help again to get the bolts back on and torqued to spec. They need loctite, right? What color? Also I can't find anything in the manual about torque #s for the flywheel, is 90-100lbs a safe bet?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wouldn't go less than that. Probably 110. A dab of blue is fine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Flywheel is in the shop for resurfacing. $41 seems like cheap insurance for my new clutch.

Is it better to press in the new pilot bushing before or after installing the flywheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pham Nuwen posted:

Flywheel is in the shop for resurfacing. $41 seems like cheap insurance for my new clutch.

Is it better to press in the new pilot bushing before or after installing the flywheel?

Before since you can lay it down flat and have a better shot of it going in straight. It's just easier and won't hurt anything either way, so personal preference really. Also I'm not sure of the design but make sure not to press it in too far (just look at the current one's depth).

• Locked thread