Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Transmission jack rental is the best idea, really. I speak having done this the hard way with a miata, which I assume has a lighter transmission.

I used a high-lift jack, put a board on top, then used ratchet straps around the transmission/board/lifting end of the jack to hold everything in place. A jack is not very stable when you are wobbling it side-to-side, and there were multiple times where I would have had 70(?) pounds of transmission drop straight on to my face had I not strapped it all together.

That was for separation of the transmission from the engine, and dropping the transmission. Getting it back in was worse, since a standard jack doesn't have any rotational ability like a transmission jack does. I ended up loosening the straps enough so I could lift the trans and try to bench press it into place. This took multiple attempts.

Just buy or rent a transmission jack.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Slidebite, can you think of a good way to hold the rear end end of the engine up for all of this? Or should I just plan to clear out a garage bay and leave it on stands the whole time with a floorjack under the back of the engine?

The floor jack will lose pressure over time, so this doesn't really work long-term. Supposedly, lay a 2x4 across the top of the engine bay (find some solid points to lay it on), and use ratchet straps to cinch the bottom of the engine upward.

Wait, do you mean the transmission end of the engine? On a miata, that end raises, not drops, without the transmission to hold it down. No idea how yours will react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread